• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 1,203 Views, 15 Comments

Nightmare Rising - The Brony in Denial



Although the elements of harmony had sealed the monster known as Nightmare Moon inside Luna, what if she was still present, subconsciously tearing Luna apart, and what if she was able to break free?

  • ...
1
 15
 1,203

2 The Letter

“Woohoo!” Rainbow Dash screamed. She did a cannonball into the water, creating a huge splash. Shortly after her head popped out from the water, seeing that she had gotten Pinkie Pie and Applejack, who were sitting near the lake, completely drenched in water. “Heh, sorry,” She giggled and turned on her back, doing a back float across the lake.

Applejack took off her hat and examined it. It was completely drenched in water. “Well I’ll be darned; My hat is ruined!” Applejack shouted. She wringed the water out of her hat and mane, Pinkie Pie on the other hand didn’t mind being soaking wet, she was amazed by the splash that Rainbow Dash made. She jumped up and down, water flying everywhere from her soaked mane. “That was amazing Rainbow Dash, that splash was even bigger than the last one!”

Rainbow Dash looked up at Pinkie and smiled, “Thanks Pinkie,” She replied, enjoying the praise she received from her friend. “Now, now girls, you wouldn’t want to get soaked before you even got the chance to have a bit, wouldn’t you?” The girls looked over to see Rarity and Fluttershy trotting down the hill with picnic baskets.

“Howdy gal’s, i'm supposing that those there are for the picnic.” Applejack asked, still wringing water from her hat. Rarity nodded, “Indeed it is Applejack, me and Fluttershy decided to get some extra stuff for the picnic while we wait for Twilight to get the rest.” She placed the basket on the ground and ever so carefully removed and placed the contents onto the ground with her magic. Inside the basket was a blanket, fancy silverware, plates, and other finery.

Applejack placed her hat on a solitary branch of a nearby tree to allow it to dry. She trotted over to the blanket and placed herself down in front of one of the plates. Pinkie Pie herself shaked the water off herself like a dog, and too joined the other three ponies at the blanket.

After Rainbow Dash had made her way back from her around the lake, she got out of the water, she flew around at high speeds, after a few seconds she was completely dry, her mane completely unaffected. She made her way to the blanket too and placed herself too.

Fluttershy placed down her basket down and opened it, “What did you bring Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash asked, Fluttershy quietly replied, “Oh just some vegetable and bread for sandwiches. If that’s ok that is.” She buried her face a little behind the basket.

“It’s great Fluttershy, this food is going to be soooooo delicious!” Pinkie Pie licked her lips, Fluttershy was relieved. “Oh thank you Pinkie Pie, that makes me feel so much better!” She smiled and pulled out the contents of the picnic basket and also placed them on the blanket.

The girls shared stories, conversations, and laughs, still waiting for Twilight to arrive. “Darn, I wonder, what’s taking Twilight so long to get here?” Just then, the girls heard a faint sound of running, they looked up to see Twilight running towards them, Spike sitting on her back.

She shortly caught up to the others she came to a stop, huffing and puffing, some sweat trickled down the side of her head. “Twilight? Is everything ok?” Rainbow Dash asked, Twilight replied, pausing between breaths. “Spike... Read... The... Letter...”

Spike hopped off of Twilight’s back, he cleared his throat and began to read.

“Dear Twilight Sparkle,

All is not well I fear, lately I have been had terrible Nightmares, nightmares of death, destruction, pain, fear, all of which have come from an old enemy of yours, Nightmare Moon. I do not know how she is still alive after the Elements were used against her, and I do not know why she is doing what she has done but, I can say one thing, “She is out for revenge, out for blood.”

The dreams have gotten worse and worse, to the point where I fear sleep over everything. I have been too exhausted to perform my duties as a princess and it is heavily affecting those in Canterlot. I need you to come here as soon as you receive this letter.

Even if these dreams are just my subconscious kicking in from the period of which I was Nightmare Moon or if this is a serious threat that needs to be taken care of instantly does not matter, the problem must be eliminated as soon as possible.

Sincerely, Luna”

By the time spike finished the letter Twilight had finally caught her breath, everyone else was dead silent. After the few awkward moments of silence that followed it was finally broke when Apple Jack spoke up “Why gosh Twilight, shouldn't you be packing up and go on your way?”

Twilight coughed, still clouded up from the run, and responded “Of course, but I wanted you all to come along, if this is as serious as Luna is making it to be I need all of the help that I can get.” The others nodded; Rarity sighed and began to put her stuff back into her basket. “Well it seems like our picnic will be held off until this issue is resolved.”
The others laughed at what Rarity said, making the moment a little less tense for them. “Well anyways, we need to get going, everyone follow me.” Twilight said, the others followed behind her as they ran back to Ponyville while Applejack ran to the tree to collect her hat, but then too ran back to Ponyville.

Author's Note:

I wan’t to thank the people who gave positive feedback on my first chapter, now I realize that this project will actually go somewhere and I hope to do a great job as I go on. Also thanks to YouSleepyYet? On the Creepypasta wiki for helping me realize my first version of this chapter was total crap.

Also I wan't to apologize for how disturbingly short this chapter is, expect chapter 3 to be at least 1000-3000 words. (That's long, right?)