• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 482 Views, 3 Comments

The Adventures of Star Swirl the Bearded - slade8283



Twilight tells Spike the story of Star Swirl the Bearded. Along the way, she learns how Star Swirl's past is shaping modern Equestria, and the danger that threatens it.

  • ...
 3
 482

Prologue

Prologue

Spike lay in bed coughing. Twilight did her best to avoid the little fireballs that would come out every time he would cough, but her mane still ended up burned and frayed. "Spike, I told you taking all those animals while we were away in the Crystal Empire was going to be a challenge." She used her magic to pull a blanket over him. "Not only that, but you didn't even get your gem cake in the end."

Spike sighed, "Yeah...its sad isn't it."

Twilight laughed, "Don't worry Spike, I'll make you a gem cake while you're sick."

Spike gave a small smile, "Thanks Twilight." He coughed again and rolled onto his side, facing Twilight. "Hey Twilight," he hesitated, wondering what he was about to get himself into, "can you read me the story of Star Swirl the Bearded? I've never heard it before, and you talk about him so much that I kind of want to know what you're talking about."

Twilight's eyes gleamed as he finished, "Of course I can Spike; I would love to. Just let me grab the book." Even with her powerful unicorn magic, she struggled to carry the three-thousand page book. She dropped it on the desk next to Spike's bed, "I know you're going to love it Spike, it's the greatest story in my collection." She stared at the cover of the book, thinking about how long it had been since she read it. "You know Spike, I'm not sure I ever read the last few chapters. I think the last time I read the actual book was when I was still a filly. In fact I think it was before Princess Celestia took me as her student."

"Wow that's amazing. You actually didn't finish a book."

"Oh Spike, still sarcastic, even when you're sick." She flipped open the book to the first page, "Ah, The Adventures of Star Swirl the Bearded. Spike are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"Alright then. Spike, I present to you the story of Star Swirl the Bearded."