• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 1,603 Views, 47 Comments

We'll Always Have Canterlot - Tortfeasor



A knock in the middle of the night pits Twilight Sparkle and her brother against an evil returned to conquer Equestria that knows them inside and out.

  • ...
2
 47
 1,603

The Sum of its Parts

We’ll Always Have Canterlot

Disclaimer: Really, again? Don’t you people know this by now? Fine, I don’t own My Little Pony

Chapter Seven: The Sum of its Parts

“So what do you think?” Chrysalis had turned herself into a unicorn with a coat white as fresh fallen snow. She'd also kept herself quite tall, Twilight thought Chrysalis could look Shining Armor right in the eye. Her mane was the same color as its normal hole-ridden appearance, but it was solid and appeared to have undergone a regimen Rarity would approve of. Her eyes were the same color as her mane, and Twilight admitted to herself that she would have been hard pressed to spot any of the Changeling Queen behind them. She even saw a cutie mark, what looked like a butterfly emerging from a point of light.

“It’s...” Chrysalis began before pausing, clearing her throat, and continuing in a voice that was her voice, but it was what her voice would sound like if she were a pony. “It’s one of my favorite faces to wear among you ponies. No one ever suspects a pony who looks so innocent could possibly be draining them of all their love.”

The smile that graced her face was all Chrysalis.

“As long as she doesn't open her mouth we’ll be fine.” Shining Armor cast a very critical look at their unwilling partner. “Of course, trying to get her to shut up for more than a minute might be tougher than beating Nightmare Moon without the Elements of Harmony.”

“Oh not at all dear.” Twilight could clearly tell that Chrysalis was enjoying riling her brother up. “You ponies live such a soft and easy life that you always assume something is well-meaning until it conquers Canterlot with an army. I assure you, I could convince all those delicious morsels out there that I’m a perfectly upstanding member of their community, all while spending every moment feasting of course.”

Shining Armor had clearly let himself get riled up. “Until one of those ‘morsels’ realizes who you are and what you’re doing, and then we have half the Manehatten police on our tails. Sounds like you’ll be a terrific help saving Cadance.”

“Stop it you two.” Twilight was getting far too used to breaking up these quarrels. “This is exactly what I don’t want you doing when Cadance shows up. So that means you stop harping on every little thing big brother. We know you don’t like Chrysalis. And Chrysalis, unless you really think you can beat Cadance all on your own I’d suggest you start getting along with my brother. In a few hours, when this is all over, I’ll go buy the clubs for you two to beat each other over your heads with. Until then, you work as a team.”

“You don’t need to worry a bit little sister.” Cadance’s voice coming out of Chrysalis clearly got under Shining Armor’s skin. Twilight just glared down the Changeling Queen until she went on in the voice she’d picked for this form. “I only needed to be Cadance for a little while. Unless I’d started draining kittens in the castle courtyard I didn’t have to worry about anyone there putting two and two together and realizing that I wasn't the real Cadance. Or at least I thought I didn't. A good queen admits her failures, and I can admit that I underestimated you. Like I said before, if I had done my homework on Cadance I’d be standing here right now and you two wouldn't have the slightest clue I wasn't her.”

“I think I know my own wife.” Shining Armor put himself right in Chrysalis’ face.

“Oh really?” Chrysalis didn't flinch at the intrusion of her personal space. “So you knew all along that she was possessed by Nightmare Moon, stopped it right away, and I've just been having my own nightmare that I’m stuck here with you.”

“No, I didn't. That must be why I miraculously just appeared in Ponyville with the Elements of Harmony. Even if I thought it was you, I still knew something was wrong with Cadance and I didn't just sit there on it.”

Twilight opened her mouth to stop their arguing, but then thought better of it. She was starting to suspect that this was, at least in part, just their way of blowing off steam at the situation they found themselves in. Oh well, it would all be over soon, and then with a little luck she would never see another Changeling as long as she lived. Or Nightmare Moon for that matter, or Discord, or... Okay, her hopes for a nice quiet life were about as out there as a typical Cutie Mark Crusaders scheme. At least she already had her cutie mark, and as long as she didn't get herself covered in tree sap she’d still come out ahead.

She came out of her reverie to hear her brother and Chrysalis still going at it, and showing no signs of slowing or quieting any time soon.

“Alright you two.” It took her longer than she would have liked to get their attention. “I hope you both had a wonderful time telling each other how you feel, but it’s time to go now. Shining Armor, go grab the other Elements. Chrysalis, that’s a great disguise, but you’re going to need another one.”

“Oh? I see. Clearly I’m so attractive like this that your brother would be far too distracted to fight. Of course, it might make him fight harder it it means getting rid of that hag of his.”

Shining Armor looked like he might vomit at the idea. Twilight felt like vomiting, but kept her control. “Whatever helps you sleep at night. But no, you said that’s one of your favorite disguises. Shining Armor and I are already up on every wanted poster in Equestria. I hope this doesn't go bad, but if it does the face you’re wearing is going to go right up there with us. So I think it makes sense to hang on to this form in case you have to spend more time mingling with us lowly ponies.”

Chrysalis quickly dropped her mirthful expression. “I did underestimate you. How would you like to be a Changeling Princess? We can get around the little detail of you being a pony for the moment.”

“I’ll pass.” Twilight said immediately. “Now put on another face so we can get going.”

If Twilight’s blunt refusal offended her, Chrysalis didn't show it. Instead green flames surrounded her again and disappeared to reveal an ordinary unicorn with a light blue coat.

“Good.” Twilight nodded her head at Chrysalis’ new form. “Now let’s go.”

She made sure to take off the Element of Magic before they left the abandoned building she’d put them in. This whole area of Manehatten was supposed to be abandoned for demolition and redevelopment, but if anyone saw her with that giant crown on her head it would draw very unwanted notice.

“So this is where we’re going to finish this?” Her brother looked around at the boarded up windows surrounding them.

“Well not here, here.” Twilight replied. “But yeah, this whole part of Manehatten is going to be redeveloped soon. Until they finalize the plans though, they won’t start tearing anything down. Hopefully it means we don’t have to worry too much about hurting other ponies, and if we do tear down any buildings we can just think of it as a civic service to Manehatten.”

“Odd way to think about civic service there Twiley. But hopefully beating Nightmare Moon means everyone will look the other way at whatever we do.”

The sounds of Manehatten drifted down the empty streets, without those it would have been easy to forget that they were on the outskirts of one of the largest cities in Equestria. At last they came to a park that had clearly seen better days even before the city had decided to demolish this neighborhood and rebuild it.

“This looks like a pretty good place.” Twilight took in the sight. “Any objections?”

Both Chrysalis and her brother shook their heads. Twilight put back on the bejeweled crown. This time she was ready and only felt briefly the urge to reorder Manehatten into a perfect grid, it really was so disorganized. She tamped down the desire and looked back at what passed for her team. Shining Armor and Chrysalis had used their magic to dig a small hole and put their bags in there for retrieval in case things went bad.

Nodding at that sign of teamwork, and hoping beyond hope it was an omen of what was to come, Twilight used her magic to cast a magical flare. Ordinarily it would see most of its use from unicorns stranded in some far off place trying to signal a rescue. Twilight’s flare was powerful enough to likely give most of the unicorns in Equestria a headache , but Cadance couldn't possibly miss it.

“I think we forgot something.” Chrysalis either didn't have a new voice for her new form, or more likely she wasn’t bothering to use one. “Did we ever plan what Cadance is going to do when she gets here?”

Twilight Sparkle didn't need to see her face to know it wore a look of pure, unadulterated horror.

“What do we do? What do we do?! I didn't make any plans for this! I haven’t thought this through! We’re going in completely blind! This is going to be a disaster! Celestia is going to send me back to magic kindergarten for this!”

“Settle down Twiley.” Shining Armor’s hoof on her shoulder brought her escalating panic attack to a halt. “Cadance, Nightmare Moon is going to come here and try to kill us. Nothing fancy about that.”

“Oh I think I can make it pretty fancy.” Where a second ago there had been nothing Twilight looked at Cadance, and worse, all her friends with the exception of Rainbow Dash. “I had a thousand years in the moon to think of all the ways I could make Celestia suffer. Of course you’re mortal so that will present a few challenges, but I promise you, I can make you spend the rest of your natural lives in agony your pathetic little minds can’t even begin to grasp at. And the best part, if Celestia can see what I do to you, oh it will tear her apart.”

“You mean like knowing that no matter how hard you try you’ll never be even the slightest bit as good as I am?” Twilight immediately recognized the difference between Chrysalis wanting to rile her brother up, and truly hating Cadance. “Face it, you tried to play in my league, and all it did was drive your dear Shining Armor right into my waiting arms.”

Cadance’s face twisted with rage. She let out a wordless scream of rage and attacked the Changeling Queen. Shining Armor had a brief moment of distaste at the thought of being on the same side as Chrysalis against his wife, but after that brief moment his horn lit up and he charged off after the tangled and fighting pair.

Twilight turned her head to her friends. Rainbow Dash wasn't there. Maybe that meant she’d possibly, hopefully, luckily, miraculously gotten away. She stomped the thought down after just a second. That was neither here nor now, and if she let her friends get through her to help Cadance, she’d never see Rainbow Dash again.

“Girls,” she cautiously approached them. “I know Cadance is controlling you, and I know you can fight it. The real Cadance would never want you to do any of this, and I want my friends back.”

Fluttershy took a hesitant step forward. “Twilight, we’re fine, and we’d really like it if you gave up and came with us. Cadance is such a nice pony, and we all love her so much. And she's going to make Equestria so happy by letting them love her as much as we do. We know it's not your fault, but we can’t let you stop her, and we’ll hurt you if that’s what it takes to save you. I mean, if that’s okay with you.”

“No, it’s not okay!” Twilight would have never spoken like that to Fluttershy, but Fluttershy had just confirmed that these weren't her friends. “I am not fine with you hurting me and helping Nightmare Moon turn all of Equestria into her mindless puppets.”

“Oh.” Fluttershy slunk back with an incredibly hurt look on her face. Swallowing back what looked like tears the pegasus called out to the furious mess that was Chrysalis, Shining Armor, and Cadance fighting. “Princess Cadance! Twilight Sparkle isn’t okay with us hurting her. Can we maybe talk about this?”

Cadance shoved Chrysalis and Shining Armor back with a wave of magical force that made the hairs on Twilight’s neck stand up from the energy. “Fluttershy, girls, I know you all love Twilight, I love my little sister too. But you all love me more, don’t you? I know you do. It would make me so happy if I could talk to Twilight Sparkle to make her see how we’re trying to help Equestria. If you have to hurt her then I’ll just know how much that means you love me.”

Rarity stepped forward. Twilight saw the other unicorn had a small ring circling her horn and gasped when she realized what it was. It would remove all of Rarity's natural limitations of how much magic she could channel. Rarity could very well match Twilight, at least without the Element of Magic, but if she tried she could very easily burn the magic out of her body, and likely kill herself in the process.

“That settles it darling. You should know better than any of us how caring and loving Cadance is. We all just want what’s best for you, and if you won’t see it... well I just want what’s best for Sweetie Belle when I yell at her to do her homework.”

“I’m sorry girls.” Magic glowed around Twilight’s horn. “I know that somewhere in there you’re screaming at me not to listen to you. And when all this is over, and you’re all yourselves again, you’ll thank me and I’ll apologize to you until you’re sick of it.”

One against four was not good odds under the best of circumstances. Against ponies as skilled as the four Twilight was facing one against four would be suicide for most ponies. Twilight Sparkle was not most ponies. And with the Element of Magic on she had more magic than she knew what to do with.

Well, actually she knew pretty much exactly what to do with her magic. A magenta glow surrounded her friends, and with squawks of indignity they lifted from the ground in their own individual magical cells.

Meanwhile Shining Armor and Chrysalis were feeling rather outnumbered against Cadance. It didn't help matters that they seemed to be fighting each other as much as they fought her. Nor did it bode well for them that Cadance seemed to realize how dangerous Shining Armor getting close to her could be. At any sign of his approach she responded with a torrent of magic that threatened anyone in its path with utter destruction.

“We can’t dodge her forever and hope for her to fall over from boredom.” Chrysalis panted with exertion as she narrowly avoided a column of light that would have reduced her to dust.

“I’m not going to hurt my wife.” Shining Armor was equally exhausted. “All I have to do is lay a hoof on her and we win. Just keep her busy so I can sneak up to her.”

“If you don’t hurt her, she’ll kill you.” Chrysalis shot Shining Armor a look clearly proclaiming him an idiot. “And unless you want to send some love directly my way I don’t have nearly enough power to stand up to her.”

Shining Armor hastily erected a shield that sunk into the ground as Cadance flew above them and did her level best to kill them. “I’d rather see Nightmare Moon win than love you for a second.”

“At the rate we’re going you’ll get your wish.” Chrysalis sent a spell at Cadance that was repulsed with disgusting ease. “I just hope she lets me live long enough to see you regret your words.”

Taking advantage of the brief pause Shining Armor dropped the shield and they leapt away from each other to give Cadance two targets to concentrate on.

Twilight knew her friends were smart. Having it proven at her expense was ending up a less than enjoyable experience. Preventing one of them from breaking out of their cell was a simple matter. Her friends however had quickly figured out that it took much more effort to keep all of them from breaking out at the same time.

Knowing that they would wear her down before long, Twilight decided to turn that to her advantage. Just before they began their latest attack on her spells Twilight dropped the magic and watched as they all flailed briefly before falling to the ground. Not waiting for them to recover, she cast the sleep spell she’d used back at the buffalo camp. For such a simple spell it was proving immensely useful.

Unfortunately for Twilight, her friends were considerably more prepared for her tricks than the hapless buffalo guards had been. Rarity’s horn flared blue with magic and Twilight felt the spell snap back into her. At the same time Applejack and Pinkie Pie lunged at her. Twilight noted with some dismay that Pinkie Pie’s mane seemed to have deflated. Rainbow Dash had told her how scary the normally jubilant pony had been like that, and now Twilight was about to find out first hoof.

Chrysalis had abandoned her disguise in order to focus all her efforts on Cadance. Not that it was doing her much good. Shining Armor threw caution at the wind to simply charge at his erstwhile wife in an attempt to get a hoof on her. All he got for his trouble was being grabbed by the neck with magic and a futile struggle with his own magic to regain breath.

As she used her own magic to sever the spell and free her unwilling partner Chrysalis wondered if rather than true love being so tasty it was his stupidity that made Shining Armor so delicious. If she lived through this she’d have to experiment on other ponies to find out.

At the moment though, living through this particular day was looking increasingly unlikely. They didn’t have the strength to challenge Cadance directly. And whether from some misguided sense of honor, or throwing reason to the winds in the face of love Shining Armor refused to use any of the underhoofed tactics they needed to use if they were going to have even the tiniest chance of winning.

She sent a spell meant for killing at Cadance. It went against a Changeling’s nature to waste food by killing it. But she hated Cadance and Nightmare Moon more than enough to feel not at all bad. Not that she had any particular chance of succeeding with the spell. It of course failed at its intended purpose of distraction when rather than diving at Cadance, Shining Armor instead sent her a look full of loathing for using the spell. Opportunity lost, Chrysalis went back to dodging Cadance’s magical assault and wondering when, or if, another opportunity would present itself.

Twilight hated stalemates. If she was moving forward she could appreciate the sense of success. If she was moving backwards she could look at what she was doing wrong and reverse the situation. But a stalemate was a tenuous equilibrium where any change risked upsetting that balance to her detriment. Especially since her friends had four chances to grasp any upset while she had only herself.

She could overwhelm any of her friends individually, but she couldn't concentrate her magic in four constantly changing directions. Worse yet, they knew how to work in a team to keep her attention divided. When she started to beat down Rarity's magic, Fluttershy would dive on her. When she tried to yank Applejack's hooves out form under her, Pinkie Pie would pull some party implement from nowhere and put it to deadly use.

Twilight chanced a look over at her brother and Chrysalis, and almost got her face smashed in by Applejack for her trouble, to see that things were not going well. They appeared to be shouting at each other almost as much as they were fighting Cadance. And it was equally clear that her brother was hesitating to attack his wife.

This wasn't going to work. Cadance was winning, and once she’d won she could scoop up Twilight at her leisure and have five elements under her control. Twilight threw a wave of raw magical force at her friends. While they staggered back and tried to regain control of themselves she ran over to her brother and Chrysalis.

“Bet you’re glad you didn't give away your favorite pony face.” She skidded to a stop in front of them. “ We've lost, let’s get out of here while we can.”

With the Element of Magic on her head teleportation for three should have been a simple matter. But as she tried the spell for a second time it felt like her magic kept running into a wall just before it should have grabbed the three of them and sent them away from here.

Twilight shuddered as Cadance laughed and stared at her with eyes that suddenly reminded her very much of Nightmare Moon. “Here’s one last lesson for you Twilight Sparkle. I only showed you how to teleport back in the Everfree Forest. Now let me show you how to keep a pony from teleporting. Of course, before long you’ll love me so much that the rest of the world and everything you've learned will hardly matter, but one last gift from your old foalsitter.”

Twilight frantically tried to teleport them away, but against a pony more powerful than herself there was no hope of her ever succeeding. It came therefore as something of a shock when a ring of green flames shot up around her, her brother, and Chrysalis, whose horn glowed brightly.

“You lose again Cadance.” Chrysalis looked not at all like she was fleeing in defeat. “Looks like I’m going to get away with your dear husband, again. And Nightmare Moon or no, next time we meet I’ll make sure you come away knowing that I’m the better one.”

It was just like when Chrysalis had banished her to the Crystal Caves beneath Canterlot. The circle of green fire turned into a sphere, and Twilight Sparkle found herself sinking into the ground. Then there was the momentary disorientation as the Changeling magic took hold and sent her outside space and time to her new destination.

“Where are we?” Twilight asked as her senses returned. She lit her horn with magic to show what looked like a basement filled with various sacks.

“Changelings aren't exactly welcome in Equestria,” Chrysalis replied. “So we have places we can flee where no pony would think to look for us. Places like this are safety until we can escape, or take a new face.”

“Well where exactly is here?” Twilight had looked to her brother to ask the question, but he didn’t appear about to speak to Chrysalis any time soon.

Before Chrysalis could respond the door to the basement opened and a pony shaped figure descended into the dim light provided by Twilight’s horn.

“Bon-Bon?” Twilight gaped as she recognized the pony. “We’re back in Ponyville, wait Bon-Bon?!”

“Hi Twilight.” Twilight thought she might very well fall over dead from shock when Bon-Bon bowed with apparently genuine reverence before Chrysalis. “My queen, I felt your presence as soon as you entered. I’ll help you however I can, but I can’t leave my customers for long or my cover will be at risk.”

“Worry not my child.” Twilight was almost as shocked at the soft and caring tone coming out of Chrysalis’ mouth. And was only slightly less shocked as green flames surrounded the Changeling Queen and left two Bon-Bon’s standing there. “I can keep your food from suspicion while you answer the many questions I’m sure Twilight Sparkle no doubt has. All we require from you is time and a place to recover.”

“Thank you my queen.” Bon-Bon came out of her bow and turned to Twilight as Chrysalis went up the stairs in her place. “So... this is probably a little awkward.”

Shining Armor looked in confusion at Bon-Bon, then at Twilight, then back at Bon-Bon, and finally back at Twilight. “Twiley, is she a Changeling?”

Twilight sent a blank look by way of reply before turning. “Bon-Bon, are you a Changeling?”

“Well... yes. But I’m not evil or anything! I just feed off the love ponies feel when they’re buying my candy, and I send the excess back to the hive. Their love isn't going anywhere, so it’s not like I’m hurting anyone.”

“Except the real Bon-Bon you mean.” Twilight narrowed her eyes in anger. “Is she still alive, or have you drained all her love and left her a lifeless shell?”

“I didn't replace anyone!” There was actual anger in Bon-Bon’s voice. “I borrowed bits and pieces from various ponies, but I’m the only one of me running around, and I always have been. Changelings like me don’t replace anyone. We’re sent out to gather love over a long time, so we create a life of our own and siphon all the excess love you ponies feel. No one gets hurt, and the love we send keeps the hive from starving even in the worst of times.”

“So then why did you invade?” Shining Armor sounded very suspicious of Bon-Bon’s claims. “It sounds like you already have everything worked out. All of you could just slip into Equestria and make new lives for yourselves.”

“I didn't invade anything.” Bon-Bon said defensively. “I was in Ponyville the whole time since Lyra’s ticket to the wedding wasn't a plus one. You saw how many of us there are though. Ponies can accept quite a bit of weirdness, but if thousands of grown mares and stallions just appeared one day I think it would get noticed. Besides, it takes years of work and training to be able to do what I do.”

Twilight’s brain needed a rest from all this. “Speaking of Lyra, does she know about any of this? You being a Changeling I mean. You’re not sucking her dry of love or anything are you?”

“Of course not!” Twilight never thought she would hear a Changeling sound horrified about draining a pony of their love. “I’d never let anything hurt her. I feed off her more than other ponies, but that’s because I spend more time around her than other ponies. I don’t actually drain her, and I’d never force her to feel anything she doesn't want to just so I could feed. And no, she doesn't have a clue what I am. Please don’t tell her Twilight. My cover’s blown so I’ll probably have to go somewhere else and become someone else. I’ll make up something to tell her, but just make sure she doesn't hate me, please.”

Pity for a Changeling wasn't something Twilight had ever imagined feeling. “When all this is over you and I are going to have a long talk about a lot of things. But for now we have bigger problems.”

“You’re just going to let a Changeling run around draining ponies of their love?” Twilight wasn’t surprised to hear that from her brother. He did have a few reasons to be distrustful of Changelings.

Twilight could feel a monster of a headache coming on. “ I've known Bon-Bon for years now, ever since I moved to Ponyville. And she’s never given the tiniest sign that she’s ever hurt anyone. I've eaten plenty of her candies before and never felt anything wrong. Besides, this is the smallest of small stuff compared to Cadance.”

Relief was by far the clearest emotion on Bon-Bon’s face. “I promise I won’t hurt anyone. It’s been years since I messed up and actually drained a pony. The queen would have my head if I did something so stupid to blow my cover.”

“Have no fear of that my child.” Twilight looked up to see Chrysalis coming back down the stairs. “You've a most impressive operation here. Those ponies practically oozed love when they came in to buy presents for their friends and family. And these candies are delicious! You’re going to stay right here, and your queen will drop by on occasion for a sample.”

“Th... Thank you my queen.” Bon-Bon seemed a bit surprised by such effusive praise. “I’m happy you think I'm serving the hive so well. And please, take all the candy you want. On me, of course.”

Shining Armor glared at Chrysalis, but before he could open his mouth she cut him off with her own glare. “My help isn't free, and I know how much you need it. You will overlook my child being here. And when this is all over we are going to have a talk about doing this all across Equestria. My children have starved for long enough while you feast.”

“Deal, but we sign off on any Changelings coming into Equestria, we know where they are at all times, they stay in cover the whole time, and you stop the whole kidnapping ponies and draining them of their love thing.” Twilight said almost before Chrysalis’ mouth had closed. Then whirled around to face her brother. “This is a chance for peace between ponies and Changelings, I’m not going to pass that up. If they can get enough love from us without having to invade Equestria we might not have to go around seeing Changelings in every shadow. And if it does go bad, then that’s my fault and you told me so. Bon-Bon, you don’t think other Changelings like you would get greedy or anything?”

“I occasionally give out a few samples to make a burst of love when I need an afternoon snack or something. But as long as they knew how important their role is they would be as careful as I am. Oh, I’m sorry. I’m not putting words in your mouth my queen, am I?”

“Of course not my child.” Chrysalis sent a beneficent look at Bon-Bon. “I’d dreamed of seeing mighty Canterlot laid low, but invading Equestria was all about the food. If I have the chance to feed the swarm without risking any of my children... Well a good queen looks out for her children. Now, I think we've taken up enough of your time my child. Return to your work, and before you know it we’ll be gone.”

Bon-Bon bowed once more before returning to her shop and leaving the three alone.

“Alright you two.” Twilight said into the silence in a deceptively calm voice. “What the hay happened back there?!”

She didn't receive a coherent response as much as a storm of accusations between the two that quickly degenerated into a petty argument. The captain of the Canterlot royal guards and the Changeling Queen could have put a pair of schoolyard fillies to shame for immaturity.

Twilight stuck a hoof between them to force silence. “From now on I don’t care what you two are doing. You’re going to do it together until you learn to work together. I can handle my friends, but I can’t beat them. We probably need all three of us to beat Cadance, but you two are going to have to find a way to do it by yourselves.”

Chrysalis and her brother started protesting again, but Twilight held up another hoof to silence them. “We’re not going after Cadance again right away. You two are going to need time to stop biting each others heads off, and there’s something we need to do before going after Cadance. You two were probably a bit busy, but there was someone important who wasn't in Manehatten, Rainbow Dash.”

“You mean sonic rainboom pony?” Her brother asked.

“Exactly,” Twilight smiled, “if she didn't fly straight to Canterlot, and into Cadance’s hooves, she probably escaped. She wouldn't know what was going on, so she probably found a place to lay low and wait to learn more. Our little show today is going to get her attention, and we need to find her before Cadance does.”

“Wonderful plan.” Twilight didn't hear much enthusiasm from Chrysalis. “Since you have all the answers I assume you have a way to find her.”

“I do. In fact I know just where to start looking for her.”