• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 813 Views, 18 Comments

Loving the Sunny Skies - Midnight Words



This was supposed to be a normal week of standing outside the castle gates, letting nobles, prissy up-tight nobles if you don't mind, to have an audience with the Princess, and now I'm a personal escort for the Princess' niece.

  • ...
0
 18
 813

Chapter 4: It's in the air...

Chapter 4: It's in the air...

------------------------------

I got her home, safe and sound. We had a little chat after that, and I was about to leave the castle. When I was stopped by Princess Luna.

"Where art thou going?" Luna said with a small frown.

"I'm going home, Princess , it's already late." I said with a formal tone. Ponies just can't help sounding like those olden time ponies around Princess Luna, well... maybe just me.

"Thou art disobeying orders from thy Princess of thy Sun." She said formally. "Our sister said that thou must stay in close vacinity of thy Princess."

"But, surely she doesn't mean ALL the time, right?" I said. You can't be serious...

"She does." Luna said still frowning. She must not like having a complete stranger watch over her niece, even if I am a guard. "Thou can stay in the Barracks." With that she left back up to her tower.

Are they serious? Because right now, I just want to go home and make faces in the mirror... It's a past time.

I quietly made my way to the Barracks and opened the door there, it was dark inside, I couldn't see anything and had to feel my way through. I made my way to the bed I had last night.

I sat down on my bed and felt a soft squishy feeling. I looked down a saw Stalwart sleeping on the job. I am the worst guy on the day force, but this guy is the worst at the night force.

"Hey, Stal. Wake up." I shook the pony awake. He opened his serpent like eyes and yawned. "Stal, get back to your shift, unless you want to get in trouble... again..."

Stal got up and yawned again. I thought the night guards were nocturnal or at least try to be. "Hey, Shield... wait... what are you doing here?" He asked.

"I am forced to stay close to the Princess..." I said and took his spot on the bed.

He smiled and pushed me off the bed. "You playa! I didn't even know she was the princess and you are totally got her under your hoof."

I got up from the floor. "No, I'm just forced to be with her 24/7... well just for the week."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course, this is just a job after all... I bet you ten bits that by the end of the week she'll fall madly in love with you."

"... No, just no. For one thing, she's royalty, the only why she could like me would be if I was at least a noble." I climbed back to bed and heard the night guards CO yell something that involve swearing, Stalwart, and a chair.

Stalwart quickly ran out the door, silently praying that he won't get what he thought he's going to get. It was late, I should really get some sleep... after that really loud yelling stops, that is.

After a few hours of lying on the bed, I just couldn't get to sleep, even though I was dead tired. I got to thinking of what I said to Stalwart. "The only way she'll like me is if I turn into a noble..." I said silently. "Me, a noble? That's a laugh..."

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought about Sunny, and the more I thought about her, the more I thought about Celestia and Luna, how would they react? Will they accept me, am I good enough? What would Sunny think?

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to fly for a while. I opened the window and jumped out, wings flapping, the night air was nice. It was a cold night tonight, everything was quiet except for the dance club in downtown Canterlot, there was a few neon lights that were shooting up to the sky.

There were a few Pegasus that started flying towards the club. I wanted to just lay down on a cloud and stare at the moon. I picked a fluffy cloud and lay there for a while.

I was drifting in and out of sleep, like I was having a nightmare, but I can't remember anything. I was worried about Sunny for some reason. I couldn't help but feel like something is wrong.

I jumped off my cloud and went back to the castle. I went through my window and left through the door, I ran through the hallway and went to Sunny's room and knocked on her door.

There was no answer...

I knocked again...

No answer...

Again and with the same result.

"Sunny? I called out. There was still silence, but after a while, there was a loud crashing sound from inside, and then I heard Sunny scream. I rammed my shoulder into the door but it didn't budge.

A few other guards heard the scream and came running. "Help me with this!" I yelled and we busted down the door. "Sunny!"

"Princess? Where is she? The other guards asked. GAH! Where the hell is she!?!

"Search the castle!" I said to the other guards. "Check with the guards posted outside, they might have seen somepony fly out the window." The guards looked at each other and nodded, they all left.

"Damn... where is she?" I said to myself.

"Looking for me?"

I turned around and saw Sunny with a large grin on her face. I rushed to her and gave her a tight hug. "Where were you?"

"I fell under the bed... Sorry, I worried you." She said and we broke the hug. "Didn't know you cared so much."

"What was scream for? I heard you scream." I said and she went back to bed.

"Nothing, just a nightmare. You shouldn't worry yourself with that." She said.

She looked a bit shaken up, actually. Why didn't Luna help with the nightmare? "What was the nightmare about? Talking about it is the best way to overcome your fear."

"You'd probably just laugh." She said and sat down on the bed. "It's really silly."

"Don't worry, I have silly nightmares too, there was this one time with these weird hairless-ape thing." I said. Really those things creep me out, that’s the last time I let Minty and Stalwart tell scary stories.

"Hairless-apes? That's funny!" She laughed. They were really scary, especially those ones that have those huge udder things on their chest, always with the hugging and the squeezing.

"Yeah, weird things that call themselves 'bronies' weird bunch of whack-jobs if you ask me."

"That sounds like something Discord would come up with." She laughed. "My nightmare was really silly, you'd just laugh I know it."

"No I won't."

"Fine... I dreamt that I was a princess... an Alicorn, immortal, powerful, and years go on, I didn't age, friends and family were getting older and weaker until they stop... dead and I was still alive. I met somepony, the perfect stallion, we got married, and I didn't age... he died too. We had a kid, and the same thing happened... I was really scared... I was there, on each of their death beds. I know it wasn't real, but... is that how Auntie feels like?"

"That's not silly, I sometimes think that, living forever is more of a curse really. You can do anything and everything, but after... it just gets bland, and those you love start dying around you... Life losses it's meaning without death... I learned that little while ago, that's why my motto is 'live life to the fullest'. Come on, don't be sad." I said.

"I'm not sad... don't treat me like a foal..." She said and rubbed her eyes. I patted her on the head.

"Get some shut-eye." I said. She looks really tired right, I would be too, it's past midnight.

"Right. Maybe I should ask Auntie to get you a bed in here."

"A bed? In your room?" What is she trying to say?

"Yeah, just like a slumber party! I could definitely style your mane."

I stepped back. Style my mane? I couldn't even brush it without it trying to eat the brush. "I don't think that's a good idea..."

She rested back to her bed. "I still don't think I can sleep... You can't sleep either, right?"

"No, but I was falling asleep on a cloud earlier."

"Can you... move two clouds in here? I never actually fell asleep on a cloud before." She never took a nap on a cloud before?

"Sure, I'll be right back." I flew out the window and pushed in some white clouds. It is not comfortable to sleep on a black cloud, trust me.

I climbed on one of the clouds and she quickly followed.

"It's so soft... this is better than the beds..." She cooed. "Ahh...."

It wasn't long before both of us fell asleep...

------------------------------

"Hey, Useless wake up." I was pushed off the cloud and landed on the hard, unforgiving ground. I looked up and saw my CO staring down at me, her dark velvet eyes are effing scary man!

I quickly got up and gave a salute. "Ma'am!"

"How did you even get into the force?" She muttered to herself. "The princess is waiting for you outside, how you got to be her personal escort is beyond me." She scoffed and left.

She didn't bother to wake me up? Heh, I guess I would have just slept through it.

I looked out the window and saw her walking around the Royal Garden. I jumped out the window, 'cause... screw doors... really, does anypony think a Pegasus would use doors if you could use windows? I only use doors when it's more convinient.

I glided down next to her. I yawned. "Morning."

She just stared at me. "It's already noon..." She said. Wait... what? I couldn't have overslept that much.

"Noon... It's noon... Why didn't you wake me?"

"Because I was busy rigging the door with a prank when you woke up, but you seem to have seen through it." She pouted. "You know how long I've waited for you to wake up? Three hours, three hours of staring at you while you sleep and then I got bored."

"You were... staring at me while I sleep... that's kinda creepy...

"It's not..." She paused. I don't know why, dramatic effect, maybe? "...Creepy."

"Umm... yes it is."

"I know you like it." She winked and left.

That girl is whack...

I followed her towards the hegde maze. She was waiting by the entrance with Discord. "Uh, hey... what's going on?" I asked, why was Discord there in the first place, nothing good or sane that's for sure.

"Let's play a little game!" Sunny said, she was just brimming with anticipation, this could only spell trouble. "First one to the center wins!"

This sounds easy enough, I've patrolled the maze many times, I know it like the underside of my hoof.

"And I asked Discord to rearrange the maze, so it won't be so boring." Sunny said with a smile.

"Spike traps, anypony?" Discord smiled. "Nah, I'm just kidding, the spike traps are actually candy traps."

"Why am I doing this?" I asked and looked at the maze. "In fact what are you two planning? This isn't just a game."

"Nope, it's game." She said and ran in. The hedge shifted and changed directions.

"Well, go in. I don't have all day." Discord said in an inpatient tone.

I sighed and ran inside. It didn't take long for me to get completely lost, and I never cheat at anything... except for that one time with Minty and Stalwart in poker game, but that's another story.

"I bet I'm walking around in circles." I muttered and turned right. I came to a large clearing with Sunny waiting on the other side.

"Hey, get over here, I got something to show you!" She yelled and ran back into the hedge. I followed her in and when I finally got to the center...

"Surprise! Happy Birthday!" Everypony was there, My parents, Stalwart, Minty, and even Barkeep, heck some of my old friends during school.

There was only one problem... "Thanks and all for the party, but... My birthday is next week..."

They all stared at my parent who just gave a sheepish smile. "We forgot..."

I swear, I got both their useless genes... "Anyway, let's not waste the party." I went up to the food table and grabbed whatever I could shove down my throat.

This went on after a while, it was normal party routine, cake, drinks, games, getting buzzed, and stuff like that. Then something really weird happened. Ponies think that partying with the Princess would be all formal, tea and crumpets and stuff... Well, apparently not with Luna. Somehow, Discord got Luna to the party, got her drunk and now she's dancing on the table wearing a lamp shade...

Meh, I've had weirder parties.

"Hey, birthday boy." Sunny said from behind. "How's the party?"

"Where are the mares? I asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, they should be here by now."

"Yea- wait, what?"

"Nah, just fooling with you, I'm the only eligible mare here."

"You and Minty that is." I shrugged and grabbed another piece of cake.

"Nah, look over there." She pointed to Minty and Stalwart... yup he's drunk... I managed to listen in on the two's conversation.

"Hey pretty lady! How's about we party back at my place." Stalwart said in drunken slur.

"Stal, go home, you're drunk." Minty facehoofed and pushed the drunk stallion away.

"This ain't a party without that idiot getting drunk." I said and took a bite out of my cake.

I sort of got drunk myself and really can't remember anything after that. Though... a few images of Luna in bikini came to mind... and Discord in a cheerleader outfit... I take back what I said earlier, this is the weirdest party I've ever been to.

Author's Note:

I don't know how many times my parents forget my birthday... :-/