• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 813 Views, 18 Comments

Loving the Sunny Skies - Midnight Words



This was supposed to be a normal week of standing outside the castle gates, letting nobles, prissy up-tight nobles if you don't mind, to have an audience with the Princess, and now I'm a personal escort for the Princess' niece.

  • ...
0
 18
 813

Chapter 2: A Different Kind of Adventure

Chapter 2: A Different Kind of Adventure

------------------------------

I flew after that crazy Pegasus and started to daze off to an old memory. A memory when I was just a colt learning how to fly, it wasn't a special memory, just something that came to mind.

"Equistria to Shield! Where can a mare get something to eat around here?" Sunny said as she lied down on a cloud.

"Huh? Eat? You can always go back to the castle, ma'am, I mean Sunny." I said and landed next to her.

She gave me a bored look. "The cooks are great, but... You can try and ask the them to make a daisy sandwich and they make a feast... and the castle just doesn't have the atmosphere, you know?" She said.

I could sort of understand what she means. The cooks can't make a simple dish to save their lives, what they count as "simple" would be making that jumbo lettuce salad with whip-cream and a cherry on top.

"Well... How about that fancy restaurant at the upper part of the city? I mean it was voted 'The most exquisite and magnific' restaurant in the district." I said.

"Because... it was based off the castle... Come on! Give me something low-brow and fun!" She said.

I sighed. "I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but..." I took a deep breath. "There's this bar that sells the BEST Hay Fries you could ever taste in Canterlot, and they have the hardest drinks and the finest mar- never mind, I got nothing." I quickly shut up.

She raised her eyebrow and smiled. "Go on, finish what you going to say. You have piqued my royal interest." She said in a sobishly annoying voice.

"N-nothing, it was just some run-down bar at downtown Canterlot." I said. She pouted.

"Fine. I guess I just have to tell Auntie that you're a bad guard and should be banished." She said.

"You wouldn't dare..."

"Try me."

I sighed in defeat. "The bar is called the Trotting Mare and... a lot of the regulars are... rowdy at best."

"Rowdy?" She said.

"Yeah... and by 'rowdy' I mean a bunch of hard-flank drunks with a quick temper and even smaller IQs" I said.

She jumped up. "Sounds like fun! Let's go!" She said and sped off towards downtown Canterlot.

"What have I gotten myself into?"

------------------------------

Sunny and I landed on the streets of Canterlot. A few ponies stared at us as we walked by.

"Maybe you shouldn't wear that armor, it's starting to draw attention." Sunny said as I walked alongside her.

"I-" I started but she quickly cut me off.

"I don't want to hear it, take off that armor." She said. I would protest, but this armor really was itchy, you'd think after a few years this design would change, but noooooo, 'It was the royal Canterlot guard's symbol of authority and blah blah blah' Can't it be the symbol of comfiness and authority?

I undid the latches on my armor and they fell to the ground in a large crash. As I stretched my wings and popped my neck, I noticed Sunny smile at me. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing, nothing, let's get going." She said and quickly ran down the street.

Who cares about that armor? You can easily get a new one and it's easily breakable. I sometimes wonder if the guards are just for show? I mean Celestia is a GODDESS for Faust's sake! And I don't think the guards did anything during the Changeling invasion a few months back either.

We stopped in front of the old bar, the smell of booze wafted through the air, I was getting a bit thirsty. I walked in with the princess and I was greeted with cheers from the other patrons.

"Shield! The bottomless pit! What the bleeding hell are you doing here?" A drunk night guard by the name of Stalwart greeted me by putting his foreleg over my shoulder. "Finally got fired, eh? Drowning out your sorrows?"

I pushed off the hoof and looked over to the princess. Stalwart put his over foreleg over her and pushed her close.

"This yer' new marefriend? You aim high up the food chain!" He said and pushed her towards me.

I helped her balance and stared at Stalwart. "Go home Stal, you're drunk." I said and motioned Sunny to the counter.

Stalwart, taking it as a hint for us to be alone(seriously, this guy has a drinking problem) left with a wink and drunkly walked out the door. We took a sit at the counter and I spotted the barkeep, cleaning a mug.

"Hey, Shield... This ain't yer quittin' time yet." The Barkeep said. I'm not sure if his name really is Barkeep but that's what all the regulars call him, and we never really see him outside the bar. EVER, I'm not even sure he buys groceries.

"What's up, Barkeep. I got a pro-" Sunny put a hoof over my mouth and shook her head. "I mean I got some time off."

"Ok, 'ever ye say. So, what'll it be?" He asked.

"Just some Hay Fries." I said with a smile. "Put it on my tab."

"Some hard cider too." Sunny said that matched my smile.

"What?" I asked with a confused look. "I'm not sure you're allowed to drink."

Two mugs slid across the counter and she eyed it with thirst. Really, what the hell was going on? I think she planned this. She picked up the mug and drank it like somepony who has been in the desert for days.

I picked up my own mug and drank it down.

She picked up some hay fries and began munching on them. "This stuff is good." She said, contented. "Can we have some more cider?"

"Sunny, I am not getting in trouble if you go home drunk." I said with a frown.

"Nope, I'm drinking. Who's the boss again?" She said with a smirk. For the love of Celestia, if I get chewed out for this, I don't know what'd I'd do!

"You are," I sighed. "just don't get too drunk... Alright?"

She smiled as another pair of drinks slid towards us. "I make no promises."

I picked up my mug and chugged it down. "Buck me."

------------------------------

"BARKEEP! Another!"

"Barkeep, stop her before she empties your entire stock." I said and pulled the the drunken princess.

Sweet mother of Luna, could she drink! Most mares would probably be knocked out after that.

"MORE!" She yelled and I stopped her from charging in there.

"STOP! Barkeep! No more! For the love of everything, I can't take her home like this! The Princess would kill me!" I yelled and she tried to claw her way over the counter.

Barkeep stopped with two mugs in front of us. "Princess?" He said and gave one of the mugs to Sunny.

Oh horse feathers...

"I mean, her mother acts like a princess, total control freak, heh heh..." I gave a very unconvincing laugh that only made my situation worse.

Barkeep scratched his chin. "Well, I guess I could give ya' a break." He then turned to the mare that was viciously chugging down MY mug. "Oy, lassie, you've emptied out my stock, come back tomorrow."

She stopped her drinking and promptly fell asleep on the counter.

"Are ya gonna come back later for the... 'private' shows?" He asked with a curious grin.

"No, not today."

I heaved her up onto my back, and by King Solaris, she is heavy. She began snoring loudly as I thank Barkeep and left.

My bill is gonna be HUGE!

The sun was beginning to set, and the moon raised on the horizon. I really liked flying at night, especially after I drink, some say it isn't safe, but I just love having a belly full of cider and feeling the cold night wind on my face, but not tonight, tonight I got to get this filly home without being seen... And to make matters worse, I'm going into the most well-guarded place in the city with the most efficient guards(Luna's) and with a lot of magical security.

I carefully made my way to an old building, hopefully if the rumors were true, there was an underground passage that leads to dungeon. I carefully thought against it. It would either be unstable or have spiders in it, I hate spiders.

I decided to sneak pass the guards, through the main gates. There was always a wagon that goes through the castle and delivers supplies for the chefs, and speak of the devil, here it is.

The wagon was being pulled by(oddly) two Pegasi that were casually having a little debate about pastries.

"Muffins!" The grey one with the strange(but oddly cute) eyes said with a small pouty face.

"Pies!" The other one with a few raindrops for her Cutie mark said with a smile. "You're just mad, cause I'm winning."

"Hah! Muffins beat Pies anyway."

"Even on Sunday? Puhh-lease."

As the two argued, I slowly climbed on the back and placed a tarp over me and Sunny.

"Yeah, but we do agree that oatmeal is the worst, right?"

"Totally, not even muffin flavored oatmeal could fix that."

"It's just so squishy and slimly."

The wagon began to move, slowly and surely, they made their way to the castle.

"Halt."

Crap... Don't move, don't make a sound.

And Lady Luck decided to spit on my face. Sunny snored loudly and brush up next to me in her sleep. And then Lady Luck decided to wipe it off with her handkerchief.

I peeked outside and saw that the grey coated Pegasus' stomach was rumbling. "Sorry, I haven't had dinner yet."

The guard nodded and let the duo through. I gotta remember to treat him a few round at the bar later.

The wagon made it behind the loading bay to the kitchen and the two of them were preoccupied with talking to the chefs. I slowly walked around to the nearby bushes, Sunny was on my back. I was careful not to step on any twigs or branches 'cause, you know, that's always how the hero gets caught in stories, not that I'm in a story, I'm just comparing.

Now how am I going to get inside? I have no idea.

I took a look around my surroundings and saw something that might be able to help, a box with a small slit so one could see outside, how convenient! There were also a few barrels that we could hide in, but I never trusted barrels since... THAT time... I still have nightmares... And wheels, wheels are evil too. Agh, I'm getting side-tracked.

I scooted over to the box and lifted it over my head, it could be the cider talking, but this is foal-proof. I made my way inside, the chefs didn't seem to notice the box that was walking by itself. Huh, weird.

I saw that we were inside the dark hallway, a few candles here and there, have they not heard of electricity before? They could at least put in a few bulbs here and there. Though I guess I should be thankful, the less visibility, the better.

I walked around the corner and bumped into one of the night guards, luckily it was a good friend of mine.

She pulled up the box and Sunny and I were caught. "Shield? What are yo- OH, SWEET MOLESTIA! You're not, you know, with the princess?" She said with a disgusted face.

What? I really had no idea what she's- Oh... "It's not what it looks like." I said with a completely straight face... as straight as a drunk face at least. "She passed out I need to get her to bed." That sounded so wrong...

"... I'll look the other way, but you better treat me to some Sweet Apple pop tarts later." She said and looked away.

"Thanks, Minty." I said and she went away. I avoided the other guards, and most of them didn't seem to notice a box in the middle of the hallway. Each step I took echoed through the hallway, hopefully the guards think it was just another guard on patrol. Seriously, how many guards does Princess Celestia and Luna need anyway?

I heard hoof-steps coming my way from around the corner, I stopped moving until the pony moves pass us, but sadly life hated me.

"Huh? What's this? Somepony was nice enough to leave me a gift." Discord said and pulled up the box. "Oh, I life-sized plushies of two ponies I have never met before. I always wanted one of these." He said. I think he was joking, but it was hard to tell with Discord.

"Uhh..." I said as he picked me and Sunny up and stroked her mane, she gave a satisfied purr, something you would hear from an old house cat.

"And they talk too, that is so nice, I gotta give the guy who brought me this a pat on the back or something." With that he dropped us back to the ground and poofed away.

I shook off the weirdness and merely shrugged it off as an effect of alcohol, I picked up the drunk mare and we quickly left in our box... That sounded so weird...

Before long we made it back to her bedroom door. Finally! I pushed off the box and quickly opened the door. Everything was dark as I carried Sunny to her bed, and then the lights went on.

Standing by the door, in their magnificent glory, Celestia and Luna stared at me as I put her down on her bed. Discord was next to them with a frown on his face.

"I wanted to keep them, but NOOO you just had to ruin my fun, Celly, Lulu." He said and crossed his arms in defeat.

Well.... You know what, I give up...

"Where were you two?" Celestia asked in a calm tone. Luna was... slightly less calm.

"WHAT HAST THOU DONE TO THY NIECE!?" She boomed in her Royal Canterlot voice, and Sunny somehow managed to sleep through that... My ears would be ringing for a week.

I was really tired and I honestly couldn't care about formality anymore, since I believe to be on the brink of being out of a job. "Long story, short, she got drunk and I brought her home."

"WHAT!" Sunny yelled from behind me, she had bloodshot eyes and stared daggers at me. "You could be informal to my aunts but not to me!" She said and quickly fell back to sleep.

Celestia and Luna frowned. "We'll talk tomorrow, for now, you can rest in the bunkers."

Author's Note:

I really have no idea of where I'm going with this story...

I'm not sure if I should get this a scheduled update or just post stuff when I finish it, like my other story, An Angel and her Soldier(Shameless self advertisement) Yeah, whatever enjoy.