• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 1,465 Views, 14 Comments

The Story of Star Swirl The Bearded - Faindragon



A story about Star Swirl the Bearded's life, from his birth to now.

  • ...
 14
 1,465

Chapter 3 - The Meeting

A week is a long time when you are bored. In a week might you be able to find time to do a lot of things, things of great importance. But this week passed faster than I wished, the day for my departing came faster than I had wished it too. My mother and father would not come with us, neither would my friends; they had other things to do and the farewells had already been said. But still could I not make myself get up from my bed, abandon the warm sheets for a future I might have accepted but still did not like that it was forced upon me. I could hear the light autumn rain outside my window; the tears of the sky were lazily drumming against my window. The autumn sun warmed my room; its warm gaze through the rain drops encouraged me to get up from the bed.

But I ignored the encouragement, I stayed there in my bed, looking as the few raindrops made their way down the windows; the sun shining through them and casting twisted light in my room. The trees I could see outside my window had started to change color; instead of the green scenery I was used to where it orange and red that dominated the trees. I could hear the soft knocking on the door, but I ignored that as well; I really did not like this. But my father was never the one to be stopped by a closed but unlocked door; he slowly opened it and walked to the bed I laid on.

I looked away from the window, meet his gaze.
“Star, do not be like this. It is hard enough for your mother and me as it is – please do not make it worse.”

I sighed, I could see the tears in his eyes, I knew how hard this had to be for them.
“Sorry dad. I know why I have to do this, but it does not seem fair!”

“Life is not always fair, son. But remember that it is for the better of the tribes, sometimes you have to sacrifice something for them, that is parts of our lifes.”

“Have you sacrificed anything dad?”

He sighed and looked away, his gaze taking the path mine had earlier; looking over the scenery outside the window.
“More than I want to admit. But that is a story for another time. They wait for you, do not let your grandfather wait to long.”

“Why won’t you go with me? Why do I have to do this alone?”

“You are never alone, Star. Your mother and I will both be with you, just not physically. As long as you think of us will we be with you. And you know I have duties here, our tribe can not spare both your mother and I to go with you; and neither of us are trade ponies so we are not able to switch places with those who are either.” he said as he gently ruffled my mane, his gaze had left the scenery outside and rested now on me.

I tried to push his hoof aside, but he was way stronger than me; the only thing I was rewarded with my struggles was his laugh; but he did remove his hoof from my head. I was taken with surprise when he embraced me in a hug instead; holding me tightly against his body.
“It will be fine Star, I will try to come to the market next year and meet you there. The same goes for your mother.” he said, slowly releasing me from the hug and standing up. “Now get ready, do not let them wait all day; they want to depart as soon as possible. I believe that your grandfather would be happy if you got out there and he would not have to come in here and get you, do you not think that as well?”

I nodded slowly in the embrace and felt how he after a small, barely noticeable, hesitation released me from it.
“I’m going to miss you son.” he said with his voice thick with tears as he smiled at me.

“I’m going to miss you to dad.” I said, returning the smile.

“Go now; do not let your grandfather wait.”

I nodded and hastily hugged him before I trotted over to the two saddlebags tucked into a corner of my small room. I hastily looked over them; made sure that everything I wanted to, as well as the things I had been asked to, take with me was in there. The five scrolls about magic I had lent from Crystal Fire and that he had asked me to take with me to the other tribes was in there, together with the three small, perfectly round orbs of a strange blue stone that I had found at the water close to the training grounds last summer. Empty parchments and three quills of hawk feathers lay in the saddlebag as well. I had also brought with me the necklace I had been given as a gift the day I had been welcomed into the tribe.

It was a beautiful necklace, crafted by one of the most skilled earth ponies there was in the village. It was crafted as a talon, hanging from a silver link, which gripped a deep blue jewel. Even thought it was special crafted for me had I never worn it, it was tradition not to wear any jewels before you had found your special talent and achieved your cutie mark.

And your cutie mark was nothing you forced to appear. I might have been the only one in the settlement who did not have any yet, but I was also the youngest with nearly half a decade and Autumn Leaf had only recently acquired hers. And it was nothing I felt bad for; it would come when I found out what I would do the rest of his life, what would make me special. And if the astral leader had been right then I had really nothing to worry about; it would come to me and I would not have to search around.

I made sure the necklace was securely locked into the small oak tree box that was it container and lay it down into the bags again. My father still sat on the bed, looking at me as I struggled to get the saddlebags on my back. With a sigh did he make his way to me and helped me with them.
“Go on now, do not linger any longer.” he said.

“Bye dad.” I said as I trotted out the door, leaving my room and my safe life behind. I could barely hear him returning the farewell as he whispered it.

~*^*~

The rain lightly dripped on me as I stepped outside the door; the smell of wet grass hitting my nostrils. The entire settlement was in movement, preparing the few of us who were to leave for the market. The sun shone through the rain, giving some warmth to the hard working ponies. Three carts were being prepared, two ponies overlooking as the rest of the tribe worked around them. I quickly trotted to them, smiling brightly at my grandfather and the earth pony he talked to.

My grandfather returned the smile, and I stopped in front of them, politely awaiting them to finish their talk.
“Should be ready before this hour is over, Raiser.” my grandfather said.

Flame Raiser, the bright yellow earth pony with a red flame vortex as a cutie mark, was the leader of the Phoenix tribe. He was an old earth pony who was said to be able to create fire just to look at anything inflammable; although I had yet to see that for myself. He smiled brightly at me as I approached them, a smile that could challenge the sun itself in lightning up his surroundings.
“You seem to have everything under control Crystal, as usually.” he said without taking his eyes from me. “Now, I believe I will have to talk some with your grandson before we depart, and I do believe that you have to get your own things.”

“Yes, Raiser, I will leave you two alone.” my grandfather said before he turned to me. “I will let your mother know where to find you so that she can say her farewell before we depart.”

I only nodded and he left us, leaving me standing alone together with Flame Raiser.
“Walk with me, Star.” he said before he started to trot away from the preparation, trotting towards the training grounds.

I trotted besides him, awaited him to speak. But we just walked together, the light rain wetted my coat, but the rain was more than welcome; I had no problem with it and this kind of light rain would not get into my saddlebags. We had nearly arrived at the training grounds when Raiser finally spoke up.
“Good, you have learned the importance of patience. That was something I had problem with at your age, got me into a lot of trouble.” he said, chuckling lightly. “It is also something that will help you with the other leaders. They will expect much in you, and most of them will look after flaws in you. I do not think you can understand how sad I am to make you do this, the life of a young colt should not be used like this; you should be free to do what you want.”

“Flame Raiser…” I started.

“Just call me Raiser – I was never fond of my birth name either way.” Interrupted me quickly before he motioned for me to continue.

“Raiser, I have accepted this and if it will help me to work around my blockade then you have nothing to apologize for either. I overheard my grandfather talking about it some days ago, and even if I do not understand everything do I understand that this has to be.”

Flame Raiser had stopped in his tracks, his gentle purple eyes looking at me.
“You are bright kid; you understand more than most would. Is there anything I can do to help you? Let me know, and I will make help you to the best of my ability.”

“I would like to know who the other tribe leaders are if you would not mind telling me.”

“I will tell you, but I will give you the short version. A pony in your position should really not have any of my thought about the other leaders, you have to stay neutral and make your own picture of each one of them.” he said before he cleared his throat. “The tribes are six in total, each controlled by a leader with the help of an advisor. Four of these are females, the rest are male. The Timber Wolf tribe is controlled by the earth pony Quick Stride, one of the calmest ponies there is. Her advisor is Lightning Fang, a pegasi whose bite is harder than his bark. The Sea Serpents on the other hoof are ruled by the pegasus Ocean Tamer, a leader who as often joke his day away with the others in his tribes as he work with keeping it running. His advisor, the unicorn Sea Walker, does most of the work; something he loves to do according to himself. The Manticores leader is the strong Light Heart, an earth pony mare who is stronger than most of the stronger bucks. Her advisor is the gracious Talon. The Griffons gathers under Feather Wind, the earth bound pegasus. His advisor is the half paralyzed Gust Dancer, one of the kindest souls there is out there.”

He paused to take a breath.
“And lastly do we have the Dragon tribe, who assembles under their leader Flaming Fury, the only one you can always believe to get an honest answer from. His advisor is the baby dragon Leather Wing, son of the great dragon Sun Ray himself.”

“A dragon?” I asked, not really believing what I had just heard but still excited if it was to be true.

“A baby dragon, young when you measured with our lives and the lives of the dragons, but never say that directly to his face; he is not very fond to remember his fairly young age. He is, in fact, not many years older than Sunny Daze at home; still he possesses knowledge greater than most ponies do. Those are the leaders and advisors of the tribes; you will meet them all at the meeting in one week.”

“How are the meetings?”

“To be honest, they are boring. But they have to be done; the tribes must work together to avoid the mistakes of the past. We discuss what have happened during the year, if any tribe needs help with something or desire something. We also pass on if any tribe member wants to challenge a member of another tribe for a duel over something; although it was very long since the last time that happened.”

“What will I have to do?”

“You will have to sit and listen, and not speak unless you are asked to. Even though you will have the same privileges as any other of the assembled do you do best in not using them. If you decide to, however, is there nothing we can do to stop you; but I beg you not to, the Phoenix tribe have it hard as we do and that might make them rethink in take you in as apprentice.”

“I promise you that I will not use my privileges, I will only talk when talked to. I do not believe I have the knowledge for this sort of things anyway.”

Fire Raiser seemed to relax a bit, although it was hard for me to say. He did, however, smile at me.
“You are really brighter than most of the kids, I’m sure you will do great.”

I noticed that my grandfather had started to walk towards us, my mother close behind him. Fire Raiser had noticed as well.
“Talk to your mom, we will wait for you. Do not take too long, we have to depart soon.” he said before he walked towards the two ponies, leaving me behind.

I looked after him as he trotted towards my mother and grandfather, speaking a few word with them and then go towards the wagons together with my grandfather, leaving my mother walking alone towards me. I could see tears in her eyes, and for a moment did my imagination make me believe that the rain fell heavier than it had before. It did not take long time before she had arrived to me.

“Are you ready Star?” she asked, her voice more serene than I thought it would be.

“I am as ready as I can be.” I said, smiling weakly at her.

She embraced me in a tight hug.
“Be careful my son.”

“I will mom, I promise.”

“I will make sure I can come to the market and meet you next year. And if it is something, do not hesitate to contact us; Sea Walker and your grandfather can easily come in contact with each other.”

“I promise that I will contact you if it is something.”

She hugged me tighter; I felt that it became a little harder for me to breath.
“I will miss you.”

“I will miss you to mom.” I said, trying to breath.

My mother realized what I struggled for and released me, smiling at me.
“I’m so proud of you son. Do your best and show the others what the Phoenix tribe really is all about.”

“I will do my best mom.”

“I know you will. Now go, do not let the others wait for you.”

She smiled warmly at me, her eyes at the brink of being flooded over. I hugged her lightly before I turned around towards the waiting wagons and with a last goodbye did I start to gallop towards them.

The light rain had finally stopped, the sun shone down on me as I galloped. My hooves drummed in the wet grass, the scent that always follows rain was thick in my nostrils. Even though I was about to have my life changed forever was that nothing I worried about right not. I saw it as an adventure.

And all adventures starts with a small step, for us were that step the one that started the loaded wagons towards the marketplace. Besides me, my grandfather and Fire Raiser were there six others who would go with us to the market. They would go there to trade for the items and objects that the Phoenix tribe would need the upcoming year.

We slowly left the small settlement that was the home of the Phoenix Tribe, and it felt as if the Eternal Fire himself watched over us as we started our journey to the market place. I myself walking together with my grandfather and Fire Raiser in the front, excited to see new places and learn new things.

~*^*~

It took us three days to reach the island known as “The Tribes’ crossing”. I had galloped up a small hill; the evening autumn sun throwing its orange light at the scenery that lay in front of me.

Four stone bridges connected the small settlement known as “The tribe’s crossing” with the mainland, each of the bridges had a dusty path leading to them. The entire island was surrounded by a log palisade. A small harbor lay at the southern part of the settlement. A big ship was anchored in the middle of it, a blue banner with a sea serpent in silhouette moved like a snake in the breeze.

The settlement did not exist of any houses, instead were tents raised around the area. These tents where gathered in three small clusters around a big tent in the middle of the settlement and there where already more tents here than it was houses in my home village. It was between fifteen and twenty raised tents at each cluster, which outnumbered us greatly; we had only brought with us four tents. Wagons were spread out in the clusters as well, the lowest amount in a cluster being eight.

Each cluster had a banner waving in the breeze and the same banners stood in front of the middle tent. I could easily recognize them from scrolls I had been reading the past week: The brown wolf banner of the Timber wolf tribe, the crimson red banner of the Dragon tribe and the ocean blue banner of the Sea serpent tribe. There were three banners amiss; the white banner of the Griffon tribe, the green banner of the Manticore tribe and lastly our own banner, the golden banner of the Phoenix tribe.

The same banner that swayed behind me and which reflected the sun tenfold in a golden circle around it. We had mounted it on the lead wagon as we had broken camp that morning. It was the banner that would announce our presence to the other tribes.

“It seems like the Griffins and the Manticores have yet to arrive.” Flame Raiser said as he walked up behind me. “I wonder what is keeping them up – they are usually the first to be here.”

I stayed silent, I did not know. The wagons passed us and started to make their way down the hill, but all I could do was to stay there and look over the Tribes’ crossing. It was so many tents, so many ponies trotted around and prepared for the market that would be the next day. This small settlement was bigger than the entire Phoenix tribe!

Flame Raiser had stayed beside me on the hill, looking over the settlement below us.
“It is quite a sight is it not?” he said, his voice soft.

“Yea… it is.” I answered, still trying to take up the sheer size of the market. “How big are the other tribes?”

“The phoenix tribe is the smallest tribe with its one hundred residents. The dragons are the biggest tribe with their five cities. Each of the five cities is close to ten times as big as our small village.”

I quickly did the math in my head; the result shocked me even more than the sight of the market village.
“The Dragon tribe contains over two thousand and five hundred ponies?” I could not believe it, how could a tribe be that big?

“Three thousand and five hundred if you count all the ponies living outside the five big cities.”

I was very glad that it was physical impossible for a jaw to hit the ground if you stood up, otherwise would mine have done it right there. I tried to process the numbers, and my jaw dropped a little more.
“How can the other tribes be that big? And why are they sending so few here if they are that many who might need something?”

“The Phoenix tribe has never been a big tribe Star; we have always been the smallest of the six tribes. Centuries ago did we all come here in need, all the tribes needed something from another and that kept us together. Today are we the only of the tribes who are still dependent of the other tribes at the market; the others are here only to uphold the traditions. They all have their own craftsponies that can create the things the tribe needs, they could just send their leaders to this market for the meeting and be over with it. But instead do they honor us with sending traders who help us survive.”

“Why do we not just live all at the same place? Why do we not trade with each other and help everypony?”

He sighed and looked up at the sky, seemingly thinking how to put what he was about to say. The gentle breeze caught his mane, making it whirling around his muzzle. The breeze brought with it the scent of the water and the grass from the plains below us.
“We have tried to live together in a single big tribe before, but to no avail. We are too different – each tribe has their own guardian they worship. Each guardian has their own tradition, and a clash between the different believes was unavoidable. Each guardian guided their tribe to a place holy for them and we have lived separated like that since. Trading between tribes would be possible, but none of the other tribes would get something for it.” He sighed as he said this, looking at me. “But we are grateful for what the other tribes do. Their merchants never exploit our weakness, they take fair prices and pay higher than they would need for our wares – each year do we leave with more than we arrive with.” he finally said, each word seemed to have been chosen.

I looked at the wagons that were making their ways down the hill, first now understanding why one of the wagons was nearly empty.
“Was that separation a part of the war?” I asked. “Was it a part of the hatred?”

Flame Raiser looked away from me, and looked down the hill. He started to trot as he spoke to me and I hurried after him.
“The war happened a long time after the separation, but the separation had its part in the events that lead to the war.”

“What happened?”

He sighed, a painful expression flashed over his muzzle; flashed too fast for me to be sure that it had been there.
“That is not my thing to tell you, you will get to know all about it soon enough. But whatever you here, do not think that the Phoenix lay behind the war. Many believe that it is so, but that is not the truth.”

“What do you mean?”

“Just keep those words to your heart Star – always seek beyond what others say.”

I was about to say something else, but he silenced me before the words left my muzzle.
“We are not talking about the war Star. Please, not now. You are bound to learn about it sooner or later, but it will not be from me - and especially not here.” Tears seemed to form in his eyes with those words, but as with the painful expression earlier did the tears disappear before I was sure that they had existed at all.

I had not noticed that the wagons had stopped and that we had caught up with them. We slowly made our way past them, Flame Raiser taking his place at the front with my grandfather besides him. They motioned for me to step forward, told me to stay between them. Together did our tribe walk forward, our banner announcing our presence to anypony who looked.

~*^*~

I stood in front of the giant tent that would be the place for the meeting the upcoming week. The night was silent around me, only interrupted every now and then by the sounds from the ponies in the camps around me and the few crickets in the grass. The sky was clear, the stars and the moon shining down on me.

We had arrived to the stone bridge that connected our path with the island as the sun had begun to set. The orange and red rays of the setting sun that were reflected on the Phoenix banner seemed to set the world ablaze as we crossed the bridge. The Dragon tribe had their encampment directly to the right of the bridge, a big encampment with nineteen tents that surrounded a bigger one. It was outside the bigger tent that the Dragon banner lazily moved in the wind; catching the burning light as much, if not more, as the Phoenix banner did.

We had made our way to the small area opposite the Dragon tribe’s encampment, directly to the left of the bridge. I could not help much with the raising of the tents that had been done, but I did as I was asked. That is, I had been running around and checked if anypony needed help. No help had been needed, and the tents had quickly been raised, four tents standing around the tent where Flame Raiser, Crystal Fire and I would stay.

But I had grown tired of listening to them speaking in the tent, they had talked about the absence of the two tribes that had yet to arrive and I had quickly stopped to try and follow what they said and had started to only listen with a half ear. I had not been as tired as I should have been, and the curiosity had taken its hold over me. I had exited our tent and entered the warm autumn night, and I do not believe either of the older ponies had noticed my departing.

The encampments had been silent when I had exited the tent. Small torches placed in the ground spread their weak light around them, helping the moon illuminate the surrounding area. The small smoke from them made its way to me, making me cough lightly as I inhaled it. I had not minded the absence of other ponies; I believed that most others had gone to sleep. But something had felt wrong, the air had been to still, the sounds muted.

It was then I saw him for the first time. A black silhouette in the night, standing against the tent that would held the meeting in a few day. If he had not stood there would I not have seen him, his black coat would have blended in perfectly with the surrounding night shadows. But now did I see him as he stood out against the nearly white background. He stood with his back against me, looking at something that I could not see, something at the base of the banner of the Phoenix tribe.

My curiosity had been taking over and I had started to trot towards him, doing my best to keep the sound down. A light crack of a twig under my hoof had been enough for him to peak one of his ears. I had stopped in my track, holding my breath and hoping that he had not heard me. My hope had been crushed as he turned around, looking down at me with brown, expressionless eyes. I had managed to meet that gaze for a full minute before he had smirked at me, but the amusement had not reflected in his eyes. They had been expressionless, as if he had no feelings whatsoever. My blood had frozen to ice at that gaze and I had turned away.

I had felt his eyes on me for a long time, before I had heard laughter in the distance. I jumped in surprise when a voice as sweet as sugar and smooth as silk had whispered in my ear.
“So you are the one known as Star, are you not? How… pathetic. I thought you were something special.”

I had felt how he smiled as he said that, a smile that had soothed me.
“Do not worry, brother. I will not harm you.”

I had been confused at his words; I did not have any brother or sister. But it had made me curious so I had looked back up again.

Only to be jumping back when I had found him standing right in front of me, standing at my level, eye to eye; I had staring into the eyes that where as a brown, endless abyss.
“You have a long path before you will be as strong as I am brother. Fight it, do better than I did.”

“Do better than you how?” I had wanted to say, but no sound had emerged from my throat.

“Come with me, Star. Let me show you your true power. Let me give you the strength that will define you!” he had said and stood up, before he slowly had started to trot towards the stone bridge furthest away from where we stood.

I had hesitated to follow him, something felt very wrong. It was as if a cold hoof had lied on my back and had been chilling my entire body. But I wanted to know, I was curious about who the unicorn was; what the power he talked about was.

So I had followed him. Slowly at first but then quicker as my curiosity started to burn inside of me. But it had still been something odd about the whole situation, the air had been to still and the sound had been as if muted. But it had not bothered me, not then. I had happily trotted after the stallion, he who called himself my brother.

A light rain had started to drip down on us as we walked, but my coat had not been soaked; it was as if the rain had just passed right through me. No moon had shone down from the sky; our way had only been illuminated by the torches that had been placed along the road.
“Stop in your track, Star.
Or be prepared for the war.
The time to go after him is not yet here.
Do not follow him as a puppet to a puppeteer.
He is not the way to your powers receive.
Those powers are for yourself to achieve.” a voice I remembered from a dream had whispered to me from the darkness.

I had stopped in my tracks as I recognized the voice.
“Seeing Eye, is that you?”

“It is me, the one brought forth by your magic.
I’m here to prevent something tragic.
You are not to follow your brother.
The one to learn you are another.”

The stallion had stopped in his tracks as well, turning around to look at me. His friendly smile had turned to a vicious snarl, but his brown eyes had been as empty as ever before.
“Do not listen to that old hag Star. She believes she knows what’s happening, but she is only a paw to a greater power. Just as you are to be if you do not follow another path! Is that how you want to end up, following orders and being unable to control your own fate?”

“Do not listen to your brother Star, he is a master of illusion.
He tries to mislead you from the path with his allusion.
Look at the ground around his hooves.
No shadow resides there or moves.
This is an illusion and you need to awake.
See through it, realize that it is fake.”

“Do not listen to her brother – she does not know what she is talking about!”

But I had listened to the voice of Seeing Eye, and my mind raced. I thought back at what I had just experienced. The sounds that had been muted in the encampments, the absence of other ponies and the rain that had only passed through us, without soaking us at all and without making any sound as it struck the earth. Had it all been an illusion? I had looked at the stallion in front of me, had seen the fury lit up his face, had seen his expressionless eyes. I had let me eyes drift down to the soil around him.

I had not seen any shadow; it was as if the light from the torches had just passed through the black unicorn in front of me. I also realized something else. The grass around the path was not wet, nor was the soil that was the path.

“This is all fake.” I whispered into the night.

“No!” the stallion had practically roared, scaring me and making me take a step back. “This is the real world, my brother!”

“Look at him Star and look beyond.
Look at what would be, should the two of you bond.”

I had sat down on my haunches, confused with my eyes on the black stallion.
“Wha…?” I had started to ask, before the world had changed around me.

I had stood tall at a hill; my brother had been standing next to me together with the silhouettes of ten other ponies. A city had lain in ruins at the base of the hill; the forest around us had been on fire. My brother had reflected the light from the flames, lighting up the night. No moon had been on the night sky, neither had the sun.
“The world is ours, my brother. Not even Sidus himself could stand up against us. We are the true rulers of this world, with powers given to us by birth right!”

He looked at me and I had met his eyes, for the first time seeing expression in them. Pure hatred had burned in those eyes. Hatred against me, hatred against the world.

I had found myself laying on the soil, the black unicorn stood above me.
“This is not an illusion, brother. Follow me and all you wish will come true – your power will be bigger than that of Sidus himself!”

“No.” Had I whispered

“What did you say, brother?” the unicorn had hissed, his tone dangerously low.

“I said no! Get away from me – I’m not listening to you!”

He had smirked and laughed, his eyes had been as expressionless as ever.
“It is not as if you have a choice, brother. You are weak, you still have your blockade!”

With those words had his horn started to glow, a nearly pitch black darkness enveloping it. I had squirmed as the magic had grabbed me, levitated me up from the soil.
“I had hoped to make you go by free will – all had been so much easier then.”

“Release me.” I had shouted, fear gripping my heart.

“Why would I do that? You are my key to redemption!”

My heart had started to beat faster, the panic growing inside of me. I had hammered furiously at the blockade that kept me from my magic. I had been able to feel the magic in my veins, had felt it burn and chill my blood. But I had not been able to reach it. The fire had burned stronger and stronger inside of me, I had grown colder and colder as it chilled my veins. But still had I kept hammering on that blockade.

I had been rewarded by a brief flash; all my energy had escaped out of my body at once, emptying me. The black magic that surrounded me had disappeared in the night together with my energy. I had heard the unicorn scream in frustration and agony, before I had been surrounded by silent.

I had laid there, eyes at the now cloudless sky above me for a couple of minutes before I had regained enough energy to do anything. I had tilted my head from side to side, looking at my surroundings. It was then I had seen her, Seeing Eye. She had stood there and looking at me, her gentle golden eyes had had tears in them.
“You are free of the illusion at last.
But your way to control is still vast.” she had said softly.

“What does that even mean?”

“It means that your powers have you started to learned.
But that the price was high, your magic has burned.
Your magic is still fragile at the best.
The power you will be able to control is still at rest.”

My head had hurt, it had felt as if somepony stood and hammered on it with a hammer. So instead of asking what the hay she had meant had I tried to stand up. But my body had still been weak; I had felt how my legs had given up under me. I had stumbled forward and would have been lying on the ground again if it was not for Seeing Eye catching me. She had just been standing there, allowing me to rest against her side.
“We have to get you to bed.
That magic cannot have been good for your head.” Had she whispered to me.

The black night had enveloped us as we slowly made our way towards the Phoenix tribe’s encampment. I had heard the faint sound of hooves against a stone that occasionally rose from one of the encampments, but other than that was the night silent and still; not even the wind stirred up anything.

“Wait…” I had murmured as we walked past the tent where the meeting would be held. I had started to trot upwards the hill, Seeing Eye had stayed behind but I could still feel her gentle eyes on my back.

And here did I now stand, in front of the giant tent that would be the place for the meeting the upcoming week. The night was silent around me, only interrupted every now and then by the sounds from the ponies in the camps around me and the few crickets in the grass. The sky was clear, the stars and the moon shining down on me. My eyes drifted towards the banner of the Phoenix tribe and the small inscription at the base.

I moved a little to the side, allowed the moon to spread it lights at the inscription; making it possible for me to read it. The small inscription made my blood freeze.
“We will meet again, brother.”

~*^*~

Seeing Eye had started a commotion when she led me to the tent. A lot of the ponies from the tribes had stared at her, some had even shouted after her; words I mostly could not make out. But some words, words from a familiar voice, had I been able to make out.

“You are not welcome here, zebra. State your business and leave this place at once.” Flame Raiser said as he stood in front of us, his eyes burning with an inner fire and his coat seeming ablaze, his voice thick with hatred.

“I’m not here to start a war.
I’m just here to protect Star.” Seeing Eye said calmly, her soft eyes on Raiser. I imagined seeing tears in her eyes, but they disappeared as soon as I noticed them.

“Star, step away from her this instant!” my grandfather had shouted at me, his horn glowing and his eyes sharing the fire of Raiser’s eyes.

But I stood firmly there, did not listen to what they said. The air was completely still as I met my grandfather’s gaze.
“Go now Star, you are safe for now.
But we will meet again, that I vow.” Seeing Eye said as she pushed me against the encampment.
“And you, the one they named Flame.
Listen to me, and redirect your aim.
The betrayer of the Phoenix has returned again.
And his return will bring with it great pain.
Warn the tribes for what’s coming their way.
Otherwise they will all have to prepare to pay.
Remember the mistakes of times that have passed.
And balanced peace might come at last.”

I turned around at the spot, only to see her slowly fade away in front of my eyes. I blinked a couple of time, could not believe what I had seen. I heard steps at my side, but my eyes where still on the spot where Seeing Eye, the zebra, had disappeared.
“It is time to go inside again, Star.” my grandfather said to me.

I slowly rose to my feet and turned to the tent, started to trot. My grandfather felt in behind me.
“Why is she not welcome here? What is wrong with the zebras?”

My grandfather sighed.
“The war between the tribes was not the first war. Long before that did the tribes unite against a force stronger than anything else, the zebras. Many of our great cities were lost and they killed the one who had railed the tribes together, Shooting Sun, Flame Raisers father. Then they just stopped, they retreated back to their cursed land and have not been heard of for centuries. But zebras are still feared, she should be happy that she escaped with her life.”

“But she saved me!”

“That does not make us look different on her. Now, we will not speak more about this, and you should feel happy for not getting a punishment for leaving the tent without letting us know. Now go to bed, I will contact the other tribe advisors, an emergency had come up and we have to hurry up the meeting.” my grandfather said, a hint of anger heating his voice.

“Does it have to do with the black unicorn?”

“You saw him?” The anger in my grandfather’s voice disappeared and was replaced with fear. “You did not listen to him did you?”

“He called me his brother. Is he the one who are called the betrayer of the Phoenix?” I asked, keeping away his promises of power.

“Listen to me Star, you are NOT his brother. You will get to know about him soon enough, but it is too early for you to receive that knowledge. Marsh to bed now, you are tired and will need your energy.”

I wanted to protest, but something in my grandfather’s eyes kept me from it. But instead did I do the only thing that I could think of.
“Goodnight grandpa.” I said and trotted into the tent, lying down on the comfortable bed therein.

~*^*~

It was in the evening the upcoming day that the two missing tribes arrived, traveling together from the north. The two banners, the snow white of the Griffon tribe and the forest green of the Manticore tribe, swayed lazily in the wind; reflecting the rays of the setting sun.

Below the banner of the Griffon tribe walked a pegasus. The pegasus had a cyan coat and lime green mane; his left wing nearly nonexistent and his right wing nearly three times as big as a normal wing would be. He walked upright, using his right wing for balance as he pushed a strange device in front of him. The device was as a big cushion on wheels, and on it sat an old unicorn; her coat was light purple, close to silver, and her mane had a deep orange color. I recognized these two from what my grandfather had told me during the day. They were Feather Wind, the pegasus leader of the Griffon tribe and his advisor Gust Dancer.

I shifted my gaze to the other banner, the banner of the Manticore, and the two going at the front of it. The first thing I saw was the enormous body mass of Lion Heart, the earth pony leader of the Manticore tribe. She was bigger than any other pony I had seen, I doubted that Flame Raiser reached more than to her neck, and her purple coat and red mane glowed in the light of the setting sun. Above her flied a gracious pegasus, a red coat seemingly ablaze in the sun and her white mane flowing behind her, who was scanning the area with her right eye. The eye patch which covered the left eye gave her away as Talon, the advisor of the Manticore tribe.

I stood together with my grandfather and Flame Raiser at the north bridge, awaited the arrival of the two other tribes. They were traveling a lot faster than we had; dust whirled behind them as the nearly one hundred ponies were travelling towards us. Talon dived towards us, folding up her wings just in time to stop before she crashed into us.
“What is this about, Crystal? What is so important that we have to arrive a day earlier?” she said, no hint in her voice of exhaustion from the speed they must have kept to arrive here earlier.

“That is nothing we are going to discuss in the open, not when everypony can hear what we are talking about.” my grandfather answered, still not taking his eyes from the tribes that walked towards us. “How many have you brought with you this year Talon? You seem to have more behind you this year than ever before.”

“There is a change in the wind, Crystal, and you know it as well as me. The astral leaders are afraid, afraid that Star will follow the past of HIM, afraid that he will betray us all as the last one. A blow like that would shatter us all – shatter us like we shattered ourselves during the sundering. The Manticores and Griffins have one hundred and fifty nine merchants with them this year. We will make sure that the entire encampment is safe at night. The enemy has made a first move,” she lowered her voice; it was barely that I could hear what she said. “An assassin attacked Lion Heart only a week back. A highly skilled one at that passed our lines of defense. A pony was spotted on our way here as well, but he disappeared before I could take him.” She looked bister and a little afraid.

Crystal and Raiser, on the other hoof, looked terrified.
“This is grave news, and must be settled immediately!” Crystal called out, but was quickly hushed down by Raiser.

“No, Crystal. It is not the time to hasten the meeting, quite the reverse actually. These ponies need to rest, they have pushed hard to get here as fast as they have, and the market will not be able to be held before tomorrow in any way. We can have our meeting during the market time – I believe the rest of our tribes can take care of it. Crystal, go and talk with the other tribe leaders and advisors, let them know that we hasten the meeting even more, let them know that the meeting is tomorrow when the sun have reached its peak.” Raiser said, his voice still and calm.

“Who put you in charge?” Talon inflicted. “Who gave you the power to control this meeting after your will?”

“I was not put in charge, Talon. I took it after I had heard the facts and gotten to know the situation. There is more behind this than you could possibly know, that assassin is not the highest of our troubles. A foe even more powerful has revealed himself. HE is back.” Raiser’s voice had grown grave at these words.

I could see how Talon shook at this words, he flinched backwards like he had gotten a blow to the head. He did, however, recover quickly.
“Another reason that you should not be the one in control then. Anyways, I will listen to you for now, but I do hope that you will honor the meeting rules and be the one to start the voting for a meeting leader the first thing tomorrow.” Talon said before he, without awaiting a respond, flew back to the green banner of the Manticore Tribe and landed besides Lion Heart.

The two tribes seemed to have stopped and await her return, since the leader and advisor of the Griffin tribe headed to the green banner as well and started to talk with the Manticores, their low voices unable to make out over the distance.

“Star, come with me.” Crystal said. “It is time for you to meet the other leaders and their advisors. However briefly it will be is this of importance.”

I just nodded and followed him, tried to figure out what all this was about. It felt as if two or more puzzle pieces was amiss, and what was an assassin anyway? I decided to check that with my grandfather tonight, during the short time we used for lessons.

~*^*~

“Assassin? This is not good Crystal, why are we not reacting on this directly? Why have we not been informed about this earlier?” Sea Walker, a light blue unicorn with a deep blue mane, the advisor of the Sea Serpent tribe, nearly shouted out. “How did Talon think, not informing us about something of such an importance?”

The gust had slightly risen in power, the Sea Serpent banner moved more violently in the wind that it had before, small clouds raced in the sky, trying to block out the autumn sun but to no avail. The sun fought against it and its light shone over us, the heat welcomed in the cold autumn wind.

Ocean Tamer, a deep blue unicorn and the leader of the Sea Serpents, shook his head; his yellow mane rippled like water at the motion.
“Slow down, Walker, you are getting ahead of yourself.” he said, his voice slow as if he was choosing every word carefully. “Nothing good would come of a rushed decision; we should all think this through. If one of us has been targeted by the enemies’ assassins, then we should all fear it. They might be any were around us, hitting at any moment. But who can we trust? We know that they exist in every tribe, tainting us towards hatred for each other, playing behind a shadow curtain. Can we trust anypony here? Are any of the leaders a member? The questions are many, and not one we can answer. Do they know that we know about the assassin, or do they hope on our fear towards each other that the Manticores would not spread that information? Only time will tell I’m afraid. I will have to consult this more closely with Walker, I will see you at the meeting tomorrow.” he said, his voice as soft as slowly flowing water.

“As you wish, Ocean Tamer.” Crystal said, before he turned to leave.

“Brother.” Sea Walker said, his voice a little colder than the wind around us. “I expect you to take your duties as voice of the Phoenix over your affection towards your grandson at the meeting, we all know how it will go otherwise…” the threat passed over my head, but Diamond seemed to catch it.

“You know very well that I will do what have to be done, brother,” he said, his voice as cold as ice. “My mistakes of the past will not be repeated. Come now, Star.”

He trotted away, not as much as a look back in the other unicorn’s direction, and I followed him closely. But my eyes drifted back, and I could see the hint of a smile on Walker’s muzzle, together with the burning hatred that was putting his eyes ablaze. Hatred directed against my grandfather’s back.

Our next stop was the Timber Wolf tribe, who had their encampment just across the road from the Sea Serpent’s own. We were greeted by Quick Stride and Lightning Fang themselves at the base of a couple of trees that stood at the edge of their encampment. The scenery soothed me more than I believed it could, I felt at peace under the protection of the tree crowns. The sun shone down lazily here, spreading a green light in the small clearing. The gust was gentler as it whistled through the trees, whistling a slow lullaby of peace. Quick Stride, the leader of the Timber Wolf tribe, laid half asleep against a tree, her brown spotted shinny figure nearly blending in into the tree as she held me in a firm gaze with a tired looking emerald eye. On her flank was the picture of an old oak tree inside of a very light green shield.

“An assassin? That is outrageous! What kind of cowardice beat within the body of our enemy, to send another to die while doing their dirty job?” Lightning Fang, the pegasus advisor of the Wolf Tribe, nearly shouted out. His grey mane did practically stand straight out as he stalked back and forth in front of us.

“Calm down, Fang, assassins have in the past been a normal way to remove somepony from a position you have not wanted them in. Our enemy has always worked from the shadows – this step is not as surprising as it once would be.” Diamond said behind me.

Fang answered him, but what he said, I did not hear. I had started to move towards the tree upon which bark the tribal leader of the Wolf tribe rested. She smiled at me as I closed up, a warm motherly smile that reminded me of home. Her shinny frame rose slowly as she breathed slowly.

“Are you all right?” I asked.

Her eye shared the smile that existed on her muzzle as she spoke.
“I’m fine, Star, but I thank you for your concern. How are you this beautiful autumn day?”

I sat down on my haunches, my eyes on her single emerald one. It was soothing to just sit there, with the green grass under me and the trees around me.
“I’m tired. The others are talking about an assassin or something like that and I just stand beside them, not understanding completely what this is all about.”

Her face became blank for a second before it turned to stone, and she turned it to look at me with both eyes.
“Did you say… assassin?” she asked, a small hint of fear in her voice; a fear which was reflected in her eyes.

I looked away, unable to meet her gaze.
“Yes. What is an assassin anyway? Everypony seems to think that they are bad and cowardice, and seems upset that the Manticore tribe has not talked with us about it earlier.”

“Assassins are bad, they are sent out to end somepony’s life without being backtracked to the sender should they fail. It is a way to stay in the shadows and still get the deed done. But the most alarming thing is that the Manticores did not warn us about it, warn us that the assassins where back. I thought, I hoped, them gone forever.” she said. Her voice had lost its fear, sadness had overthrown it.

“Are they part of the hatred? Of the war?”

She smiled at me.
“You could say that, they have always been there in the past – ready to help whoever had the money. But when the war ended did the tribe find them and… removed every one of them. Now you say that they have returned?” she sighed. “This is bad news, and gravely bad as that.” She slowly pushed herself away from the tree, and walked to me. I soon found myself in a light hug, which was over faster than I could react. “You have given me something to think about, Star.” she said to me before she turned around and shouted at her advisor. “Fang, we have matter to discuss. I’m very sorry Diamond, but this is a discussion for the meeting.”

Fang looked back at her, sadness in his eyes, before he said some quick words to Diamond and walked towards the Wolf’s encampment.
“Take care, Star.” Quick Stride said before she turned away from me, walking towards the encampment as well.

I looked at my grandfather, who looked surprised to have been interrupted so abruptly. I had to suppress a laughter as I walked towards him, but he quickly recovered as I closed in to him. A smile spread over his muzzle.
“I believe I will have to thank Quick Stride later,” he said. “I would never have been able to stop that conversation should she not have interfered.” He seemed to think about something for a moment. “We only have Flaming Fury and Leather Wing left now, the Dragon tribe.”

I just nodded at this and together did we start to cross Tribe’s crossing, making our way towards our encampment and the Dragon encampment beside it. The sun spread its last rays down at us, illuminating our way in red and orange.

~*^*~

The sun had dropped down the horizon when we arrived to the Dragon Tribe encampment; the moons first soft rays had replaced its sister’s stronger ones and were now our main light, illuminating the encampment with the solo support of the torches which where placed in the ground. The silver eye in the sky looked down on us close to its full glory, encircled by the stars. I could not help but smile, the night was the time I enjoyed the most. It was a time of calmness and serenity, of purity and cleansing.

The encampment was silent, the soft mumbling inside of the tents where the only thing that could be heard above the low sound of the crickets in the grass. Small lights could be made out from the tents, silhouettes of ponies clear against the tent sides. Only five ponies were outside in the night. My grandfather, myself and six guards who stood at the big tent of the center of the encampment. Two unicorns, two pegasi and two earth ponies stood alert and watched us as we walked towards the tent. One of them, a pegasus with a grey coat barely visible in the weak light, turned around and entered the tent, the others keeping their eye on us.

My grandfather stopped a bit from them, lowering his head to whisper to me.
“I do believe they have already achieve the information about the assassin, otherwise they would not keep this many guards around them. I think that,” he said but was interrupted mid-sentence by the same grayish unicorn that had entered the tent mere seconds ago.

“Flaming Fury and Leather Wing are welcoming you, Diamond Fire and your grandson Star to enter their tent,” he said with a hint of command in his voice.

“Of course, Steel Wing, thank you,” my grandfather said as he trotted the last part to the tent and entered. I followed tightly behind him, looking wide eyed at the six guard ponies. They, on the other hoof, completely ignored me and just watched their surroundings, alert and ready should something happen.

The inside of the tent was warm, and a small fire burned with bright flames from the middle of the tent was spreading both light and warmth there within. A couple of scrolls laid on a small dark colored oak desk, neatly placed in symmetry with each other. A small bed was placed alongside one of the walls. Four pillows, which truly looked comfortable, were placed in a small circle around the fire. One of them was occupied by an earth pony with a coat the same color of the flames in front of him. He looked up at us, the flames of the fire reflecting in his eyes and a welcoming smile on his muzzle, as we entered the tent.

“Welcome, Diamond. It is pleasant to see you again,” he said, his whispering voice barely able to reach my ears. “You are welcome here as well, Star. It have been a long time since I last had the opportunity to talk to you directly, although I do not believe you remember me.” He smiled weakly.

“Thank you, Flaming, it have all too long since we talked – a year if I do not recall wrong. I take it on your guards that you have been informed about the assassination attempt on Lion Heart?”

He smiled sadly; the flames reflected in his eyes seemed to die out.
“Indeed I have heard about it, and taken actions to make sure of the safety of my own tribe. The guards outside is not for myself, but for Leather Wing. He is not happy for it, but we cannot risk our standing with the dragons by a knife from the dark.”

A low growl was heard from a dark corner of the tent, making me jump in surprise.
“And I still do not like it, Flaming.” a soft rumbling voice called out. What I had mistaken as the dark corner yawned widely; rows of sharp white fangs gleaming in the fire and a forked tongue that tasted the air. I starred at the rows of fangs as the creature in the corner slowly opened an eyelid, a sapphire blue eye with slit pupils meeting my gaze. “You know that they will not be stupid enough to put me as a target.” A small tickle of smoke emerged from his nostrils at his words.

“We have been through this before, Leather. Even though it seems unlikely am I not going to take that risk, you as a representative of the dragons should understand that.” Flaming said without looking back at the dragon. “You should understand what kind of wrath Sun Ray would seek upon us all without caring about who were to be the target.”

He grumped as he rose from his corner, his blue eyes still on me. Leather Wing, advisor of the Dragon tribe, was a fearsome creature. He stood nearly as high as Lion Heart had, his leathery wings tucked to his sides, but even folded were they sticking out a great bit over his back. Blue spikes rose from the shiny black scales on his back, spikes which shared the color with his eyes as they reflected the flames from the fire. His stomach was of a lighter black color.
“This must be Star, the star born.” he said as he looked at me with a judging eye. His eyes stopped as he looked at mine, and it felt as if he was staring straight into my soul. “I knew that he was young, but not that he would be this young. Is he really ready for this?”

“He is not ready yet, Leather. That is why all the tribes must train him, so that he can learn from all the tribes and not only one, see the world as a mix of all and not one alone,” Flaming said. “You are going to train him as well as the rest of us are. The dragons will have their speaking in it, as all the astral spirits will.” He looked at us, and a smile spread over his muzzle. “How impolite of me, sit down if you wish, we have much to discuss.”

I was quick to sit down on the soft cushion, resting my head on my fore hooves as I had my eyes on the dragon who sat himself down next to me. I had to suppress a yawn, even if I had not been tired when we entered the tent was the cushions and the comfy warmth from the fire enough to make me feel tired now.

“He might be young, but he is quick to understand. A year might seem like a short amount of time, but I believe in him, he will not have any problem to learn.” my grandfather said to the Dragon’s tribe leader.

What Flaming answered did I not hear, the combination of him talking as low as he did and that Leather Wing nudged me with a wing and started to talk removed every possibility of that.
“Are you nervous?” he whispered to me, careful so to not interrupt the others talking.

“For what?” I asked, silently questioning myself if he, as an advisor, should not listen to the talking between Flaming Fury and Diamond Fire instead of speaking with me.

“For leaving your tribe, traveling to a completely new one, with no friends and nopony you know.” he sighed. “Well, at least you get an opinion. My father sent me here as a representative of the dragons, I was the only one small enough for your buildings.”

“I… I do not really know what I think.” I admitted. “I guess I do not really know until I have traveled there.”

“I guess it will take time for you to adjust, things seem to be handled differently in the tribes. It did take a long time for me to adjust to the life around you ponies, I rarely ever eat meat or a jewel here, but I find it a pleasant life to be here; connecting the dragon tribes with the dragons.” He slowly lay down as well, resting his long neck and head on his fore legs, his tail tucked along his body and his eyes on me.

“But did you not have a choice? Did they just send you here? What kind of father does that?”

“The same kind who sends you here knowing that you can only chose one opinion?” The dragon asked me in return. “My father, Sun Ray of the great eastern kingdom as he is called here, sent me as a connection between the ponies and the dragons. During the great war here did the dragons come to the Dragon Tribe’s help. My father battled alongside Flaming Fury during those years, and thus were the dragon warriors born, ponies fighting with the techniques and magic of the dragons. When a pony with a special gift is getting his or hers cutie mark are they sent to the dragons to train. These ponies have always been born in the Dragon Tribe, and I replaced the last ambassador here years back when she was too big for your cities. My work here is more than just a connection between the dragons and the tribe, it is to find those that can be trained, and I have yet to find one. They are rare, only one has been born the last two centuries and that is Flaming Fury.”

“What do you mean with only one opinion?”

“Wait, they have not even told you?” The dragon shoot an angry glare towards my grandfather before he looked back at me. “How could they ignore to tell you something like that? When the meeting is held will the leaders and advisors talk through everything as normal, and when the time is ready will we call after you. We will ask you if you accept the guidance of us all, and we expect you to accept it.”

“But I will accept it! They said that it might be an attack against the Phoenix Tribes should I not!”

Leather’s eyes seemed to burn with an inner fire.
“So they told you about that, that the other tribes are afraid of a repeating of the past, but not that you are given an opinion?” He sounded furious as he spoke, and jet black smoke escaped from his nostrils.

I flinched at his voice.
“I-I eavesdropped.” I stuttered, my ears hanging in shame.

“Oh…” The dragon’s feature softened up some, the fire in his eyes died. “But they still did not tell you about that you are given an option.”

I yawned as the sleepiness tried to take its hold over me again.
“What are the options then?”

“You accept or you refuse, that’s how easy it is.”

“What happens if I refuse then?” I asked.

The dragon looked dumbfound and held his eyes in the distance. A minute passed, two minutes. Finally he answered.
“I do not know… I should know but I do not.”

I closed my eyes and we laid there in silence. But my mind and body was tired, and it did not take long before the sleep overtook me, sailing me to the dream lands.

~*^*~

The market was, plainly said, boring. Diamond Fire and Flame Raiser had left early for the meeting, telling me that I would be summoned when it was time and that I should listen to Rose Fiddle until then. I had agreed and we had since then wandered the market, the sun’s rays spreading its autumn warmth through a thin cloud layer.

Rose was the one assigned to take care of buying the things which our small settlement mainly needed, and thus slowly walked the market with a cart on her back, idly chatting with me and looking after things the settlement needed.

I, on the other hoof, had finally felt the nerves kicking in. I did not pay any attention at all for my surroundings, more than once walking into somepony else and hastily saying a “sorry” before keep walking.

The same questions repeated themselves over and over again in my mind. What should I do? What would happen if I refused? But I had already accepted it for myself? But back then I did not know that I had a second opinion. What should I do?

“Star!” Rose shouted beside me, breaking my train of thoughts.

I stopped in the middle of the track, noticing that the entire market had gone silent at Rose’s shouting; not even the birds interrupted the silent. It hanged there in the air, and I shrunk together during the weights of all eyes on me.

It only lasted for a second, however, before most of the other ponies had gone back to their business. That was, everypony expect three. Me, Rose and the guard who stood beside me and had his eyes on me, a frown on his muzzle.
“You have been summoned to the meeting tent, Star.” he said with a voice that was used of being obeyed. It took me a second to catch the words and realizing who it was that stood in front of me. “If you would follow me.” It was not a question as much as a command, and at his words did he turn away and start to trot towards the middle of Tribe’s crossing.

“Yes Steel Wing, I will follow.” I said as I started to trot after him, trying to keep his peace as he walked with long strides. “Bye Rose,” I shouted behind me, the nervousness I had felt only second ago now forgotten, my eyes forward and my mind settled.

It did not take long before we stood outside the tent, the autumn sun had breached through a part of the layer, enveloping me and the tent with sun. The sound of the market was loud even at this distance. The guards who stood closest to the tent flap only nodded at me as I moved the tent flap aside and stepped into the darkness of the tent.

The tent flap closed behind me, sealing the warm tent shut; closing out every sound from the market just outside. Before my eyes had time to adjust to the dim light inside of the tent did the crack of wood against stone fill the air; making me jump in surprise. I quickly eyed my sides and saw an earth pony on both sides, each of them holding a simple wooden staff in a firm grip; the same wooden staff marked their white flanks. They were like mirror images of each other.

“Star of the Phoenix tribe has entered the tent of the tribal leaders, who have sent after him?” they asked in union.

Six voices called out from the darkness, the six voices of the advisors.
“I, one who speaks in the position of advisor, have sent for him to enter our tent; to sit at our meeting.”

“The advisors have sent after Star of the Phoenix tribe. Do the leaders of the tribes accept him at this meeting, do they accept an outsider to sit with them, getting the full rights that the rest of the ponies assembled?” the two earth ponies once again spoke up, still talking in union.

Six new voices called out, one barely hearable, the voices of the leaders.
“I, one who speaks in the position of leader, accept Star of the Phoenix tribe to sit with us in this meeting, to get the same right that the rest of us who are assembled.”

“Then it has been settled. Welcome Star, to the meeting of the tribal leaders and the advisors, welcome to participate in this meeting as a full worthy member. Together with the rest of the attendants of this meeting are the tribes future in your hooves.” the mirrored ponies at each side said before once again driving their staffs into the stone tiles which lay in front of them, once again creating the cracking sound.

The two staff keepers exited the tent; allowing the sound of the market inside of it for a second before the tent flap once again sealed out all the sounds. It was first then that the braziers lit up; throwing their light in the room. I covered my eyes from the sudden light, yelping in pain as I felt backwards on my haunches.

“Welcome Star. I’m sorry for the… overdoing, but it is tradition. You are now here as a full worthy member of this meeting, although we only have one question left.” Quick Strides soft voice called out.

I removed my hooves from my eyes and looked up, for the first time seeing the inside of the tent. Each leader and advisor sat on cushions in front of their respective banner, all eyes on me. They were relaxed, but the air was stiff.

“The question is what to do about you, Star. The meeting has talked long and well, and we have come to the agreement that the best would be if you took apprenticeship under each and one of the tribes for one year, thus getting six years of learning and knowledge of each tribe.” Ocean Tamer continued.

“But, we cannot do anything like this without the acceptance of the individual in question.”

“Do you accept?” Lion Heart said, her voice abrupt.

“I do.” I said, seemingly interrupting my grandfather as he had opened his mouth to speak.

All the leaders seemed to start breathing at once, each of them seemed to have held their breath awaiting my answer.

“Then it is settled, Star will take apprenticeship under each of the tribe for one year, changing tribe at each meeting. The first is, after our agreement based on what Star must learn, the Sea Serpent tribe.” Diamond Fire said, smiling approvingly at me.

~*^*~

I stood at the bow of the Great Serpent, the ship that would take me to Harbour, the main settlement of the Sea Serpent tribe. I looked over the calm water, and felt the gentle autumn breeze catching my mane as the autumn sun warmed the world around me, spreading its evening rays over the world.

It was the end of my foalhood, and the start of my life as an apprentice. But I wore a smile on my muzzle, I was happy. Even if it would take time before I would meet my father and mother, or even my grandfather, again, did I feel something inside of me that bounced around in joy. I were going to a new place and would learn to know new ponies, and even get the training to move around my blockade!

So I left my foalhood behind me at Tribe’s Crossing as we sat sail away, slowly sailing away into the night.