• Published 9th Feb 2013
  • 617 Views, 16 Comments

Friendship Was Magic - Quantum Solace



Inspired by the video, "Friendship Was Magic," Discord and Chrysalis return, and take down Canterlot Castle. Luna, who saves Twilight from the Castle, flees to the Ancient Ruins in the Everfree Forest. From there, she must save her empire.

  • ...
1
 16
 617

Prologue

]

Prologue

There was a thud, as Twilight sparkle slammed against the painted glass in Celestia’s throne room, blood gathering around her forehead. Hanging from the ceiling in green cocoons where Celestia herself, as well as Rarity and Fluttershy. The sound of cruel laughter drew her head to another part of the room, where Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were tied to the ends of puppet strings, being forced to prance around. Above them floated Discord, laughing hysterically. The sound of a pony slamming into the floor, and the snap of bones drew her hazy eyes to Rainbow dash slamming into ground. Chrysalis walked towards Twilight with a bit of a swagger in her step. She began to gloat. At least, thats what Twilight thought she was saying. Everything seemed murky, like she was spinning through water. Blood moved coursed down her forehead, her Element of Harmony crown growing heavier with every passing moment. She felt so tired... So sleepy. She struggled to keep her eyes open. Raising her head, She attempted to shoot a resilient glare at Chrysalis, but instead, glared at an enormous blast of energy from Chrysalis’ horn.

There was no time for her to move. The energy slammed into her, and pushed her out the window, destroying the beautiful picture of she and her friends sealing Discord into stone. She sped towards the ground, obviously moving very quickly. However, for her, time seemed to move slowly. The broken glass swirled around her, along with drops of blood. It looks beautiful, she thought, looking at the drops of blood spinning in the air.

The light above her began to blur. I wonder if this is really the end, Twilight thought, as plummeted towards the ground. She reflected on her life, thinking back to the day Celestia had accepted her into her academy, the very same day she got her cutie mark. She remembered how sad she had been, now that she wouldn't be around to play with him as much anymore. Huh, I wonder if He'll miss me now, she wondered, as she observed another blood drop calmly. She remembered her first day, how she had known almost all the answers, how she meet spike, how hard she had studied, and then falling asleep under Celestia’s wing years later. Meeting her friends, her first friends. Vanquishing Nightmare moon with the elements of harmony. Some help those where, she thought, remembering the nights events. Vaguely, she noted a dark shape, flying fast in the rays of the moon. But she was dying, so, who cared? Sadly, she remembered her friends again, the ever caring Fluttershy, the party pony Pinkie, the loyal Rainbow Dash, the generous Rarity, and the honest Applejack. A tear welled in her eye as she remembered her first birthday she had shared with her friends. They were always there for her. No matter what.

She closed her eyes for a final time, as the ground moved towards her even faster. All her thoughts had taken place in a matter of seconds. Her conscious mind began to fade away. images in her mind flew by: Rarity and Spike, Rainbow and Fluttershy, pinkie Pie. And finally, her teacher and mentor, Princess Celestia. Oh Celestia.... she thought. I have failed you... Good bye.... Those where the last thoughts Twilight Sparkle was to think before her mind slipped away into nothing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in time, Princess Luna caught Twilight, moments before she crashed into the ground. Pain rolled off her back and the falling pony smashed into it. She groaned as she straightened up to look at Twilight Sparkle on her back, unconscious, blood dripping from her forehead. Luna looked back up at the castle, seeing guards attempting to flee for a lives, as Changelings captured others, and brought them back, kicking and screaming. Her heart broke to see her loyal subjects being treated in such a way, and what's worse is that she knew she could help. But for Twilight, she held herself back.


She peered at the window Twilight had fallen through, green smoke wafting from the sides. She could hear the cruel celebratory laughter of Chrysalis and Discord, obviously enjoying their triumph over Equestria. No one had seem them coming. No one could have guessed, save her, who had been lured away. She was the Princess of the night, and therefore could have foreseen all of this, but instead, she was easily drawn away from her post, with a simple letter from an old friend. She should have never believed that that person would ever contact her. If those Changelings had not attacked her she would have arrived at her home, and would probably have been killed.

Luna glanced about, and walked slowly away from Canterlot castle, as to avoid attracting attention. Her mane and coat blended into the scenery around her, making her almost impossible to see. Unfortunately, in the dark, it was hard to see anything else. there was a loud thump, as her face collided with a large tree. Peeling her face from the tree, she perked her ears, and listened for any sound of approach. Sure enough, she heard she quiet snap of branches as some creature attempted to sneak up on her. Heart pounding, the night princess began to move away quickly and stealthily. If she could move fast enough, and make it to the clearing ahead of her, she might just be able to fly away. Behind her, she could hear the snapping of more branches. Glancing back, she could make out the eyes of two changelings, green eyes boring into hers. They had seen her. No time for stealth now. Balancing Twilight on her back, she made an all out bolt for the clearing ahead of her. There was a screech from behind her, and another from in front, and from her left, then right. They had surrounded her. However, Luna’s step did not flatter as she galloped through the dark forest. She was almost to the clearing; the trees around were thinning out. Her breath came fast and heavy, as she ducked under branches, and jumped over logs. Spreading her wings, she sprinted into the clearing Almost at once, from all sides of her, Changelings swarmed out from the forest, snarling in victory.

Eyes widening at the trap, she spread her wings, and soared into the air. then weight on her back began to slowly lessen, as she realized that Twilight beginning to slip from her back. Spinning quickly, Luna pointed her now glowing horn at Twilight, and her plummet turned into a quick accent, as she zipped up towards Luna. Behind her, Luna made out thousands of Changelings buzzing towards her, like an enormous wave of green lights. Face a mask of determination, the Princess flew higher, and higher, and higher, wings growing tired with every movement. Pain seared through her sore wings, as she flew past the cloud limit. Her breath became shallow, as the oxygen level dropped. Still, The changelings pursued her, seemingly unaffected by the change in pressure.

Luna’s eyes closed as ice began to gather on them. Slowly, she let her wings fall to a stop. Losing momentum, she spun in the air, the shot down towards the earth. Around her, a dark glowing cone began to gather.The Changelings, misinterpreting this as a sign of surrender, rushed up to greet her with claws and fangs. Still Luna fell, Twilight streaking behind her. Her tail fanned out, like a dark meteor entering the atmosphere. As the Changelings grew closer, they realized what was happening. Spinning around, they attempted to escape. But it was too late. Luna zipped into the center of the of the swarm, a sudden calmness swamping over her for an instant.... then her eyes snapped open, and she flapped her wings once.

An enormous explosion of dark energy shattered the night, preceding an enormous sonic boom. Windows half a mile radius shattered, the Changelings caught in the mass explosion of energy where instantly vaporized. Luna, traveling at unfathomable speeds, shot towards the ground like a bullet from the heavens. She pulled out of her dive, moments before her collision with the ground. A jet stream of dark energy flowed behind her, as she shoot out of canterlot castle. The force field surrounding Canterlot, now green rather than its usual dark purple, shattered under the amazing force of energy that was Princess Luna..

She aimed herself towards ponyville, as a dark stream of darkness flowed in her wake. Twilight floating before her. Tears coursed down her face, and were quickly lost behind the Alicron, who could do nothing to catch them. Canterlot began to fade into darkness as Luna moved farther and farther from it. The approaching lights of Ponyville did nothing to stem the Princess's tears of sadness. She had lost her sister once again, her kingdom once again, and her title as Princess... Once again. “I will return!” She vowed, turning to look back into the direction of Canterlot castle. “I Shall-” Her last vow was never complete, as she smashed into the Ancient Ruins in the Everfree Forest, and slipped into unconsciousness.