• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 494 Views, 10 Comments

My Life in a Nutshell - Dylan Scraton



The tale of a pony who doesn't know who he is anymore.

  • ...
 10
 494

BONUS STORY:A Short But Heartwarming Tale

He trotted up to the front gates of Canterlot, a lone Pegasus stood in his way. He knew he wouldn’t last long in a fight with his horn snapped in two. A unicorn without his magic. How ironic. Who would have thought? It was then he noticed the Pegasus who stood in his way was a mare. He smiled slightly and opened his mouth to speak.
“Hello miss, my name is Psyche.” He said. “I would like to pass, but do not wish for any trouble. Will you let me through?” he asked. The mare stood there for a few second before answering.


“How rude.” She scoffed. Smirking as she took a few steps toward the stallion. “Isn’t it usually a colts job to hold the door open for a pretty young mare such as myself?” she giggled quietly.
She walked past the stallion, brushing her tail against his chin in a very flirtatious manor. “My name is Sky. If you want my last name you’ll have to convince me to let you pass. Hell, I might even let you stay at my home if you’re lucky.” She winked.


Psyche felt a cold rush down the back of his spine. Was this strange mare trying to seduce him? He looked behind him to see her smiling warmly at him. Her clean white coat brushing against his gruff grey fur. She turned around and trotted past him, turning again to face him.
She stood and looked at him. Her beautiful light purple eyes staring right into his. He chuckled and looked down at the mare.

“You seem familiar miss, I’ll give you that.” He said with a smirk across his face. The mare seemed shocked. Her eyes flew wide open and her mouth dropped.
“Psyche…you really…don’t remember me?” She asked. The colt gave her a confused look.
“I’m sorry…I can’t say I’ve met you before…” He said sternly. Sky took a step forward, her eyes beginning to water.


“Psyche…” She whimpered. She rushed forward and buried her face into his chest. Psyche stood there in complete confusion. Who was this mare? How did she know him? Though, it came as no surprise to him that he might have forgotten who she was. Ever since he woke in the Everfree Forest and found his horn to be snapped in half he couldn't remember most of who he was. He was lucky to have remembered his own name.


The young mare pulled her face back from the colts chest. “Psyche…I've been so alone for so long now…I just want somepony who I can call a friend…somepony I can call my lover!” She screamed. Psyche just stood there. What led to this meeting? Why was he there in the first place?


“Psyche please tell me you remember who I am!” She cried. “I-I’m sorry…I really am…But I don't think I've seen you before in my life…” he replied quietly. Sky shoved her face back into Psyche’s chest, crying even more. :What do I do?!” Thought the stallion. “I can’t just leave her like this…she must have some connection to me, otherwise she wouldn't be this upset over me not recognizing her…”


Suddenly, a flash a light flew through his mind. He could see memories of him and the mare from years passed. He could see him, Sky, and three foals. Twin fillies and a colt. “Daddy, why are you going away?” asked the young colt. “I have a client who asked I see him in Ponyville.
Don’t worry, Blitz. I’ll only be gone for a week or two.” That was three months ago.


When Psyche finally snapped out of it he looked down at the mare, who was still crying into his chest. He place his fore hooves on her shoulders and pushed her back so he could look at her. Tears streaming down her face. Psyche wiped the tears away from her eyes and smiled. “Sky…oh gods Sky how could I forget you of all ponies!? Not to mention our children! Oh sweet Celestia, Blitz must be so worried…and Aurora and Shimmer…oh I’m a horrible father!” He wept.

He hugged the mare as tightly as he possibly could.
“I’m so sorry, my love! Can you ever forgive me?!” He cried. Sky looked down at the colt and smiled. She smiled brightly and nuzzled his chest. “Psyche, you remembered who I am, and you remembered our foals. That’s all I care about. You’re still that daft stallion I married.” She said softly. Psyche looked back at her and wiped the tears from his cheeks.


“Now come on,” She whispered. “let’s get you home.”
`“I don’t know what to say...” He thought. Here was this mare whom he’d only known for a little over a year. They’d had three foals and he had forgotten all about them. Just because he had forgotten which was the correct path to Canterlot. His horn was snapped in two and he had no idea how it had happened. He still remembered his parents and how his father was rarely around. He remembered how alone he was growing up. He never had many friends, and the ones he did have he almost never got to see.


But how could he forget the love of his life? He felt so ashamed of himself...but he knew he had loved her very much before all this had happened. Then there were his foals. The twin pegasus fillies Aurora and Shimmering Stars, and the youngest of the bunch Blitz. Blitz looked more like his father, mostly the horn and his coat and whatnot. The young colt had just started using his magic when Psyche had left his home.


“Oh great,” He thought. “who is going to teach Blitz to use his magic properly now? I know I can’t do with my horn as it is...” Psyche had no idea how he was going to teach his son to control his powers, but he knew it had to be done if he was to make it into any school of magic.
Then he started to wonder how old his children were and how long it had been since he last saw them. He turned to Sky, who had been surprisingly quiet, turned to her husband and smiled. “It’s ok,” she said lovingly. “We'll be home in no time.”


Psyche smiled back at her. He didn’t want to worry her too much. “I know...” He replied. “I just...” He didn't know what to say. For what seemed like the billionth time in his life, he was at a loss for words.
“How long was I gone?” He asked. He wanted to know if he had missed any birthdays that he would have to make up for. Sky’s smiled slowly left her face. It was obvious she didn’t like thinking about how long he had been away from here. Finally, after a few moments hesitation, she replied.


“Six months...” She said. Psyche let out heavy sigh. “I’m so sorry...” He murmured. Sky just smiled and rubbed her head against her husband's neck. Her soft, warm coat brushing against his. “Don’t be sorry.” She said softly. “You’ve no reason to be. It’s not your fault.” Psyche couldn't help but smile. The two walked for what seemed like a week. Seconds turned into minutes, into hours, into days.