• Published 13th Sep 2011
  • 1,107 Views, 14 Comments

Cowcolt Bebop - lilinuyasha



Space Trekker and Bonsai are two bounty hunters Just looking to make some good pay.

  • ...
 14
 1,107

Cold weather, Colder hearts

Trekker glanced at Gin. “I came here for a bounty. Nothing more.”

“You said nothing less before.”

Trekker sighed and wiped his face with his hoof. “Alright. Yeah. I heard word she passed through Pluto. I took a bounty here figuring I’d find her.”

“What if she’s not ready to be found, Trek?”

Trekker had never considered this possibility. He’d spent his life tracking her down. Maybe she really was running away. Trekker looked at Gin with a solemn look.

“She came to the bar, Trek.”

“When?” said Trekker, thirsting for information.

“About a week ago. She left the next day. She mentioned something about Malice. She couldn’t stay because of Malice.”

Trekker’s face contorted with rage.

“Do you know him?”

“Malice and I have a...history.” he said. “We served in the same platoon during the Mars invasion.”

“And then what?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” said Trekker, forcefully.

Gin started to speak, but quickly closed his mouth, eventually saying “You never were one to talk about much. You’re a mysterious colt, you know that?”

“I’m better off as a mystery. Take care of yourself, Gin.”

“Yeah...see you, space colt.” And with that, Trekker left the hospital and headed back toward the Bebop. As he left the hospital, a light red pony with a darker red mane passed him, carrying a bouquet of roses. Trekker froze, lost in memories. “Rose...”

“It doesn’t have to be this way, Rose.”

“You don’t understand, Trek...I have to do this.”

I gave her a solemn look. She couldn’t have been serious. We were madly in love. At least I was. She was my life. And here she was, taking it away from me.

“No, Rose, you don’t.”

It was raining that day...I remember that much. She turned away from me and trotted away.

“I’ll chase you to the ends of the earth, Rose. I’m not going to just let you leave.”

She froze. She looked over her shoulder one more time, a look of sadness very apparent even in the rain. She looked away from me again and trotted off.

I don’t remember ever showing as much emotion before then. But then I got down on all of my knees and cried. My shouts of agony were muffled by the rain. Since then, I’ve never shown much emotion either.

“Excuse me?” said the red pony.

“Oh. Nice roses.” Trekker said, catching himself back to the present. Trekker left her with her awkward look of confusion and trotted out of the hospital.

“Took you long enough.” said Bonsai as Trekker trotted in to the living area and laid down on the couch.

“Yeah, Gin and I had a bit to discuss.” he said, realizing then that he had forgotten to even discuss his matter with Gin. He’d been so wrapped up with Rose, it slipped his mind. “It was great catching up with an old friend.” Trekker mentally kicked himself.

“You seem aggravated.” said Bonsai, concentrating on getting Bebop out of the runway and into space.

“Me? Nah. I’m pretty sure I’m keeping my calm demeanor.”

“This is about Rose, isn’t it?” said Bonsai shortly after they blasted off towards unknown horizons.

Trekker glanced over at Bonsai, who was clipping his trees.

“Don’t think I don’t know, Trek. The last word you heard was that she was on Pluto. Instead of taking a larger bounty on Saturn, we drifted all the way out here to that God-forsaken frozen wasteland.”

Trekker looked back up at the ceiling. He wasn’t even sure how Bonsai knew. Trekker simply sighed with a little “Eeyup.”

“How’s the back hoof?” asked Trekker, changing the subject.

“Doing a bit better.” said Bonsai. About a month ago, he’d been shot in his back right hoof in a bounty raid on Neptune. In the end, he got the bounty, but had to spend it on a prosthetic hoof. Bonsai still trotted around with a slight limp. “Still hurts a bit, but nothing compared to before.”

“Are you going to need me to cook dinner again?”

“After that last fiasco, I’d say I’ll handle it this time.” Trekker had somehow managed to singe every bit of meat he cooked, as well as lighting part of his mane on fire. In his confusion trying to put the fire out, He jumped around, forgetting he held the hot pan filled with oil. Trekker still had a bit of a noticeable burn where he fell into it. They ate canned food for two weeks after that. At least the fire got put out.

“Yeah, I think that’s good plan.” Trekker said.

After dinner, Trekker and Bonsai sat in front of the TV, where their galactic programming channel outlined news of new bounties.

“Hello, bounty Hunters!!! Time for another episode of Hunter’s digest!” Wasn’t exactly the catchiest name in the universe, but it had to do. “First up, we have news that “Crank” Dash, the section Z leader for the illegal drug market was caught Today in Pluto! Kudos to the bounty hunters!” Trekker and Bonsai high-hoofed each other. “But the section X leader is still running amuck on Venus! He’s going for 1,000,000 Bits!”

“One MILLION?” Trekker and Bonsai yelled in disbelief.

“One MILLION!!! Isn’t that a big bounty? Guess you’d better get huntin’! Meanwhile, two separate bounties, Mighty Hoofstrong and Burly Hoofstrong, brothers in crime, have recently robbed several banks on Uranus! Add to that several murders in the process, and you’ve got some daaaaaangerous criminals!” “That’s right, fillies and colts!” said the other pony on the show. “Both of them are going for 600,000 right now! Guess what close brothers tend to do? STICK TOGETHER!!! That’s a chance for 1,200,000 Bits if you find both of them!!! And thirdly...” “Well shoot, Shooter! Seems we’re all out of time! We’ll see you next time on Hunter’s digest!!! So long, Space Colts!!!”

Bonsai and Trekker turned off the TV.

“Well this poses a bit of a conundrum. Shall we go for the easy 1,000,000 for go for the extra cash?” asked Bonsai.

“I say We go for the easy 1,200,000.”

“Don’t get cocky now.”

“It’s not cocky if you’re positive.” Said Trekker, Smirking.

“Well, Uranus it is, then.” said Bonsai as he put the cockpit destination and turned autopilot on. Bonsai went to his room to prune his precious trees while Trekker stayed in the living room, cleaning and polishing his guns. Once that was finished, he went to his room, drifting off into tumultuous sleep.

***

“Flank right!!!” Yelled Trekker. They were surrounded by the opposing side.

Chagrin, his wingcolt, turned his attention to his right side, gunning down most of the opposing flankers from that side. “You’ve really gotta stop talking about my flank at times like these.” He said. “It’s not the best time to ogle me, Trek.”

“Well I’ll ogle all I want. Left flank, by the way.” Chagrin turned his attention behind him as Trek finished off the right side. Trek ducked down inside the trench they were in and grabbed a grenade. He chucked it forward, blasting an opposing trench as Chagrin cleared his left side. He then turned his attention behind him, killing of a charging colt shortly before he got to Trekker. “You have to be more aware of these things.” He said.

“Guess I’m buying the drinks tonight.” Said Trekker, smirking again. “We’ve cleared enough out. Let’s run back to base for backup.”

That’s right...it was a reconnaissance mission.

Trekker chucked another grenade out from the trench for good measure as he and Chagrin galloped across the desert plains.