• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 820 Views, 17 Comments

Love's True Flare - Aderes7Storm



Spitfire has been working way too much and Soarin isn't making things any easier. On top of trying to manage her work load she is asked to help investigate a case with an old friend and longtime crush Detective Blaze. What's a flight captai

  • ...
16
 17
 820

Prologue: Business as Usual with a Twist

Spitfire was sitting at her desk going over some paperwork that had to be done and wasn't pleased about the amount nor the type of paperwork that was to be turned in. So far she had gone through fifteen insurance claims for fire hazards, seven pilot license renewals, and plane registries. The last two were tedious but the insurance claims were starting to annoy her. She groaned at the thought as to why the Wonderbolts needed fire insurance for the team members. Soarin, her second in command, can not cook even if his very life depended on it. So the very fact that the latest fire was caused by him was frustrating. In the midst of her sorting paperwork, she hears a knock on her door.

“Come in.” she calls out not really paying attention to source of the knock.

“Captain you have to sort through you fan mail and talk to Captain Armor about the latest case.” Soarin says placing the sack of fan mail in front of her desk trying to not draw attention to himself.

“So what is this I hear about a fire in the mess hall?” Spitfire calmly asks waving the insurance claim as if it were a fan.

“I can explain! I was so close to actually making that pie.” He nervously stutters tugging at his black tie to settle his nerves.

“Soarin I don’t get what is so damn special about that pie but it is really cutting into our funding. So either you quit trying to self teach yourself how to bake or take a damn cooking class. Honestly Soarin you bought an apple pie at the Gala and now it’s like you are fucking obsessed with the damn thing.” Spitfire exasperated sorting through the paperwork hoping that he would take her advice this time.

“It’s not just an apple pie Spitfire. It was made by a beautiful goddess and I want to make one just like that pie just to impress her.” He mumbles twiddling his thumbs like a little school boy who just got caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar.

“Soarin why don’t you just look around and see if you can find her first. Spare us the headache will ya?” Spitfire pleads trying to reason with the love struck pilot.

These pie attempts have really begun to do some damage to the Wonderbolts and it was starting show by the budget cuts done to the Wonderbolt Academy. She wasn’t sure how long the academy could survive the cuts and hoped Soarin knew what he was doing was hurting the team. She noticed that he looked like he was lost in thought before she noticed where he was staring. On her desk was one photo, and it was one of those fan made photos. Turning to look at the photo she felt her heart burn with immediate longing.

The photo was of the well renowned Detective Blaze with the most mysterious and prideful pose. She sighed staring at the young detective wishing she was able to talk to the detective without tripping on her own words. The fact that she had a photo of the detective was more than enough to get some reasoning into Soarin. She gently states, “I know it’s hard to impress someone you really have feelings for, but you need to think about the team. Soarin, the whole team has been worried that you will end up burning our paychecks in the attempt of baking a pie worthy of your dream girl.” standing up to walk over to Soarin.

“How can I do that if I can’t bake a simple pie?” he asks staring a Spitfire hoping to find some answer or guidance on the subject.

“Love isn’t easy Soar. You have to make the effort for her and show her that you are more than some pilot who can cook.” she quips smiling a cheesy I-told-you-so grin.

The silence that soon followed was a calm and pleasant silence. He knew Spitfire had a point but he only saw this girl at the Grand Galloping Gala. Even the prospect of finding her was scary enough to make him curl in a ball and whimper. Plus he didn’t catch her name at the Gala before she left so that made matters even much more difficult. He wanted to listen to Spitfire but he far much more convinced that the best apple pie will lure his dream girl out.

“CAPTAIN YOU GOTTA SEE THIS!” Fleetfoot shouts catching both Soarin’s and Spitfire’s attention.

She runs into the office and turns on the television which was hanging on the left wall. The breaking news channel was on and immediately Spitfire’s eyes widen in shock. There was an announcement for the first annual Lunar Solstice festival and the Wonderbolts were announced to perform. She hadn’t cleared any performances nor had she agreed to announce anything. Confusion was apparent and her anger was boiling until she realized something. The last missing person was reported in a small town and she had agreed to aid the investigation to the best of her ability. She was still confused about this until, “The first festival is to be held in Ponyville, and I personally look forward to seeing the Wonderbolts perform.” the female announcer stated looking to her co-host. ‘The last report came from Ponyville, so why the festival...OH!’ she thought to herself as the pieces fell together.

She had agreed to a cover story to mask the true reason for their arrival in the town and why they were staying for a long while. She had completely forgotten that the Lunar Solstice had conveniently been set to start around their arrival time. Face-palming she groans, “Our damn agent forgot to inform us that this would happen and we had to rehearse to make it seem like we had this planned out.”

“So this is all Agent Sky’s fault. Why didn’t he pass out a reminder like he always does?” Fleetfoot asks confused at the revelation.

“Heck if I know Fleetfoot. I just-” Spitfire answers before she is cut off by the news anchorman.

“In other news, there had been reported threats to our beloved Princess Luna. So many threats in fact, that the world’s finest Detective Blaze has been in charge of guarding our Princess of Night. We go to live to Quick Press for details.” the news anchorman states causing Spitfire to freeze.

“Thank you News Flash. Here I am at Detective Blaze’s office where the town Runesvale awaits to hear her reaction to Princess Luna’s proposition. Oh here she comes now.” Quick Press comments before the crowds goes wild.

“Citizens of Runesvale and everyone watching this it has come to my attention that our fair princess whom has been freed from the oppressive spirit of Nightmare Moon is now being threatened. I assure you that I will not let this stand for a moment longer. Whoever dare threatens our beloved rulers will have to answer to me and the Elements of Harmony. So to our beloved ruler I answer from the deepest depth of my being. I WILL PROTECT PRINCESS LUNA WITH MY LIFE!” Detective Blaze bravely proclaims slamming her fist on the podium causing the crowd to give a roaring cheer.

Spitfire’s jaw went slack and her heart raced at Detective Blaze’s fierce words. Blushing a deep red hue she stare in awe at the passion Detective Blaze possessed and expressed. Soarin noticing Spitfire’s current state turns off the television and gives a knowing smirk. Holding a cheeky grin he quips, “Looks like our captain has a thing for the detective. I believe she had some sort of connection with her in the past.”

“Yeah some history in high school I believe.” Fleetfoot teases going along with Soarin’s plan.

“Oh shut up you two. Before I have you on trash duty for a month.” Spitfire grumbles attempting to hide her blush.

“Hey don’t they have an apple farm in Ponyville? Maybe they can teach lover boy how to bake a pie.” Fleetfoot jokes dodging Soarin’s grab before running out the room.

“GET BACK HERE YOU PINT SIZE DWEEB!” Soarin exclaims chasing after her.

Spitfire chuckles at the antics of her teammates before looking at the photo of Detective Blaze. She did have history with the said detective but it was only as friends. She never forgave herself for letting her nerves get the better of her. Now here was the opportunity to finally give it the old college try and ask the detective out on a date. Grinning a confident grin she whispers, “Symphony better be ready for what I have in mind for her. She won’t know what hit her.”

Author's Note:

Warning this story will switch to different points of view
Story seems to flow better this way.
Hope it is a way better improvement than the previous version.