• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 5,148 Views, 285 Comments

Magic in the Stars - Australian Chaos



When a young pegasus with a gift for astronomy attempts to make a career out of his ability, he attracts the attention of several ponies, including the Princess of the Night herself...

  • ...
13
 285
 5,148

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: Just A Field Trip

Chapter 22

Just A Field Trip

Starfall's best chance of convincing Princess Luna came the next evening after the day he had bumped into Cosmo and Derpy, and the idea of the two of them going to Ponyville was first raised up. Tonight was one of the nights Starfall was set to teach the Princess of the Night about modern society, and tonight was moving onto a topic Starfall had been curious about since the idea had first been presented...modern speech patterns.

Starfall knew that it was not just his own experience with the younger Princess, but everypony who met her quickly became aware of her rather archaic speaking tendencies. Her use of words that had long since dropped out of everyday use, and her habit of speaking while referring to herself in plural, a tradition of ancient royalty, was definitely capable of drawing attention, though most did not seem to understand the Princess' continued use of it, even after a thousand years.

Starfall, however, was less puzzled about it. He knew that, thanks to her thousand-year exile on the moon, the Princess had not been present through the numerous changes and revolutions society had undergone in that extended period of time. He also thought, even if he would never admit it aloud, that he kind of liked the Princess' unique speaking style. It was something exclusive to her, something that made Luna the alicorn she was today.

But at the same time, Starfall was obliged to at least teach her the fundamentals of how the vast majority of ponies spoke in today's world, so that she could at least follow a conversation without Starfall having to translate modern slang for her. Starfall had already inadvertently used a phrase that Princess Luna could not comprehend, forcing him to backtrack and explain in terms she could understand properly. He just hoped that, despite everything the Princess learned tonight, that she decided to keep some of her old mannerisms.

But Starfall was quickly noticing that reading about the evolution of speech patterns from a book was not helping Luna's attempts to learn modern slang and mannerisms. It was something that had to be heard directly from ponies themselves. And Starfall could see a way of doing that. He just hoped that Luna would be at least a little receptive to the idea. If she discarded it right off the mark, then Starfall knew he had little chance of changing her mind.

Figuring he might as well give it a shot now, before the Princess became too frustrated with her studies, he closed the book he had been glancing through, searching for more information the Princess of the Night could study on the topic, and slowly approached the midnight-coated Princess, who spotted him out of the corner of her eye, looking up at him.

"We are fine, Starfall," she spoke up shortly, before Starfall could even open his mouth. While the two of them were back on speaking terms, Starfall still believed that they were not quite back to a level of civility that could be called friendship yet. "Learning language from books was always going to be a challenge. Thou may return to thy previous work."

Starfall nodded slowly at Luna's last words. "I know it's a challenge, Princess...and I have an idea that might be able to help make it easier, and might also help make a few other things a little easier as well," he added, trying to made the idea seem appealing right from the start. He had to convince the Princess of the Night that he knew what he was doing.

His initial words seemed to have gained Princess Luna's interest, as she flicked her up a little and paid a little more attention to him. "And pray tell, what is this idea thou hast come across?" she asked. While she was interested, she also seemed rather sceptical of whether it would actually work for her.

Starfall shuffled a little nervously, before trying to explain. "Well, I've been thinking about this particular point of your studies, and know how hard it can be to learn about a language from books alone. I've been trying to find a way of helping you learn. I initially thought of just taking you around here, but then another idea came to me...Ponyville."

For a moment, the Princess just looked at Starfall, almost seeming like she was not comprehending. After a moment, though, she voice what had made her stop. "Why Ponyville?" she asked, a note of wary suspicion in her voice. "Why is Canterlot not suitable, Starfall? We would have thought that any venture outside this District to listen to the speech of the common folk could be undertaken within this city."

Starfall could understand where the question was coming from, but the note of suspicion he could hear underneath it hurt, even if just a little. Clearly she was still wary of his crush, which he had to admit was still lingering, even if he would never openly admit it while he was still capable of keeping it buried without any problems.

Still, he had no intention of turning this into a date, and tried to show Luna as much. "I've been talking with Twilight, and she told me that the ponies of Ponyville know you fairly well, and most are friendly towards you. I know that some ponies still can't get over their fear of Nightmare Moon, even here in Canterlot. I thought it would be better for you to be able to listen to modern speech in a place where you're not going to be treated with fear wherever you go."

For a moment, the Princess seemed to actually be thinking over the proposal. It was obvious that, as much as she hated to admit it, Starfall had a genuine point. Ponyville was one of the few places in which the majority of the villagers actually treated her as a Princess of similar station to Celestia, rather than as a ruler who could turn unforgiving and lethal at any moment, making them fear her incessantly.

"Perhaps..." she conceded slowly, giving Starfall a twinge of hope. Her harsh look after that word, however, snuffed that hope out in the very next instant. "What else art thou not telling us, Starfall?" she asked, making Starfall grimace slightly. She had caught on to the fact that there was more Starfall had yet to say.

He continued on with minimal hesitation, though, trying to prove to the Princess that he no shady ulterior motives to hide. "There's also my own studies, Princess. Out in Ponyville, away from the city lights, the stars will be so much clearer and easier to study...as will the comet we discovered. Think of it as a field trip, Princess Luna...a field trip to help improve our studies, and get a chance to get out in the open country for a little bit," he explained, trying to make the idea sound as appealing as possible.

But Princess Luna did not seem quite convinced that Starfall was explaining the whole truth yet. As she glared at him intensely, Starfall shuffled, realising that she could see his secrecy written all over his face. "There is more thou art not telling us," she commented, no question in her voice, the hard edge making it clear she wanted to know what Starfall had yet to say.

Starfall nodded. "I guess...I guess I also want to go to Ponyville for personal reasons, too," he said. He had not really wanted to say this, in case Princess Luna decided to deny him the trip on the grounds that his personal matters would get in the way of their studies. But now that it was in the open, there was not much else left to do except explain...and hope.

"The letters I've exchanged with Twilight Sparkle make Ponyville seem like a really nice place to visit. Her friends also seem like nice ponies to meet. So I guess I had been hoping to go there not only for our studies, but also to see this place I've heard so much about." He sat down nervously once he was done, hoping the Princess would at least take the idea under consideration.

The young princess seemed to do just that, sitting down with Starfall and appearing to fall deep into thought. She glanced at Starfall again, as if checking to make sure he was hiding anything else, but seemed content with what she saw, Starfall having finally revealing all of his most prominent and important reasons for wanting to visit. She was obviously still highly wary of the idea, though. "This...field trip, you propose,"she said slowly, levelling him with another steely glare, "Art thou absolutely certain this is in no way related to thy...attraction to us?"

Starfall paled slightly at the reminder of how badly the revelation of his crush on her had been taken, and quickly shook his head. "I promised both you and Princess Celestia that I would make no advances on you, since you did not welcome or return my feelings, and I fully intend to keep that promise, Princess," he replied, trying to be as honest as possible. "This is purely about trying to advance our studies further, and a chance to meet a friend I have not seen for some time now."

The Princess gave a curt nod, relieving Starfall that she had accepted his word, before seeming to drop deep into thought once more, clearly thinking the prospect over. For nearly a full minute, there was a tense, expectant silence in the room, as Princess Luna debated internally over whether to trust Starfall's judgement or not, and Starfall silently praying to the stars he was so fascinated with that the Princess, for once, saw his side of the argument.

Finally, the Princess spoke up, her voice slow, as if she was still debating with herself even as she spoke. "We have had no desire to mingle with the outside world since we travelled Equestria to show the ponies of our fair land that their Princess had returned to them, and the creature of nightmare you all so feared was no longer."

Starfall sighed in disappointment, nodding his head. He could understand where her desire to isolate herself had come from. She had gotten used to being alone during her incredibly long exile on the moon, and with her return to Equestria seeing her receive a less-than-warm welcome, she had turned reclusive in order to spare her own feelings, and put an end to seeing the perpetually fearful faces of her subjects. He was still disappointed that she was rejecting his proposal, though, as she stood and turned to pick up his teachings to her back where they left off.

Before he could take even two steps, though, Starfall heard Princess Luna's voice again. "But we also understand that there is a difference between thy desires and thy needs...even for a Princess," she said, making Starfall pause. "We realise we have likely distanced ourselves from our subjects for too long. If thou truly believes this journey to Ponyville will truly assist our studies, then we suppose we have little choice but to trust you with this."

Starfall had to stop himself from jumping for joy at this. Luna had agreed! They were going to Ponyville, and Luna had not put up any true resistance to the idea. With a great effort, though, Starfall managed to keep his composure, and give the Princess a grateful bow. "Thank you, Princess Luna. I am sure we won't regret this," he said, unable to mask the joy in his voice, even if the formal gratitude was there to be heard as well.

Princess Luna nodded, and as Starfall looked up, he caught the barest hint of a smile on her features, making his heart miss a brief beat. It seemed their friendship had possibly repaired further than he had thought, though it was difficult to tell with the Princess of the Night's tendency to mask her feelings from even him. "How soon dost thou with to leave?" she asked, making Starfall pause, before quickly deciding.

"Is the day after tomorrow suitable for you, Princess?" he asked, smiling as he got a nod from her in response. "I think the sooner we leave, the better, especially since that comet is only likely to stay in sight for the next two months or so," he added. The prediction on how long they would be able to study the comet was based on both of their observations and calculations on the comet's apparent path and trajectory, which seemed to be bringing it very close to Equestria...close enough that it would be easily visible to the naked eye in roughly a month, give or take a week.

Princess Luna nodded, before bringing up another point. "Shall we be staying for those two months?" she asked, Starfall pausing at the question. Admittedly, he had not thought that far ahead...which seemed like a big oversight, now that he was aware of it.

Sheepish, he turned back to her. "I'm not sure. I guess it's up to you, Princess Luna. If you really want to leave and come back here, I won't argue. I think the longer we stay, the better, but I won't ask for more than the two months the comet remains visible. Is that okay?"

Princess Luna responded with a curt nod, leaving Starfall relieved. "Is there anything else we need to know?" she asked, Starfall thinking for a moment, before shaking his head in the negative. Nothing sprung to mind that was truly important, and if he did remember something, he could tell her tomorrow, the night before they left, anyway.

"I think I'll leave your lesson for tonight, Princess Luna...you've done enough as it is, and we both need to start preparing for Ponyville," Starfall said, excitement creeping into his voice at the last words. Luna had agreed, they were going to Ponyville. Even though it was less than two days away, Starfall found himself already getting impatient to get going. He was really interested to discover just what made Ponyville such a special little town in Equestria.

PreviousChapters Next