• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 726 Views, 2 Comments

The Dangers of an Alcohol Induced Adventure - 8-Beat Pulsar



Berry Punch has always been known for her expertise in the areas of wine-making and Alcohol consumption. However, things have gotten out of hand. Little does she know she is about to cause much trouble for some friends who just want to help.

  • ...
0
 2
 726

II - A Plan for Reformation

"Can you run that by me again?"

Twilight Sparkle had been contently studying some new books she had received when she was suddenly interrupted by Colgate at her door. The blue unicorn had obviously been distraught by something, so Twilight had let her in to hear her out. When Colgate had first explained the sudden visit, the words had been so choked up that it was hard to understand. After a couple of minutes of composing herself, Colgate began again.

"I've been worried about Berry Punch for awhile, but lately things have gotten even worse. She is out drinking every night and is always against pony interaction. I haven't been able to even talk to her without getting rebuked for it. I don't know what to do. I figured that since you are the smartest unicorn I know, then you might be able to help me out."

"I'm confused Colgate. How is that any different from Berry Punch's normal routine. I haven't noticed anything different."

"You haven't known her as long as I have, Twilight. She didn't used to be this way. Even when she discovered her talent for wine-making she had been responsible with it. Lately, she has shut herself in from pretty much everything. She hasn't even opened up her wine shop for a couple of weeks now. When I came by to ask her something she pushed me away. I know it's hard to understand, but I caught a glimpse of her house before she slammed the door on me. There were...there were bottles everywhere. It looked like a disaster zone. She has never been this bad. Something is wrong with her and...I'm concerned Twilight. I'm concerned and I didn't know who else to turn to."

Colgate seemed on the verge of tears again. Twilight sighed. Colgate was very adamant about seeking help. Unfortunately, she didn't know much about alcohol consumption herself, but it was hard to ignore this plea for assistance. Maybe she could come up with something. Surely, something in her books would help.

"Alright Colgate, I'll see what I can do, but have you talked to anypony else about the situation? If things are as bad as you say they are then we might need some added assurance."

"I have already talked to Carrot Top about this, but she doesn't think it is too much of a concern. It makes sense though, she hasn't been around Berry Punch as long as I have."

Colgate had already seemed to calm down a bit, making it easier for Twilight to think. Maybe if she could convince Carrot Top to help then maybe, just maybe, they could come up with something.

"Do you think you could convince Carrot Top to come by later tonight. That will give me time to work out the basis for a plan. After all, the two of you are the ones who see Berry Punch the most. If the three of us work together we should be able to work a full idea out."

"I'll see what I can do, Twilight. I'll go see Carrot Top right away and talk to her. She isn't the easiest pony to convince, but if I let her know you're able to help, she might just come around. It won't be easy, but we should be by later."

"Perfect. I'll get started right away then. Are you going to be alright until then?"

"I should be. Like I said, it helps just knowing someone is willing to help. I'll see if I can get Carrot Top and we'll be by later."

With that, Colgate rushed out of the door, a look of grim determination set upon her face. Twilight watched her run off and turned towards the stack of books that she had set out to study. It seems that I will have to take a break on these. She sighed and began to replace the books on the shelf. Content that everything was in the proper place, she began to start searching her library. As countless books swirled around her with a lavender glow, she looked for anything relative to drinking to see if she could find any spells that would end a drinking binge. With the way things were going, Twilight could tell that she was in for a long night.

Colgate was at Carrot Top's house in no time. The unmistakable orange tint of the walls stood out among the countless others on either side. She knocked at the door hoping to Celestia that Carrot Top would answer. After a few minutes of waiting, she had given up any hope of an answer, She turned to walk away, but a sound coming from the back of the house convinced her to stay. Walking around to the back, she discovered where the sound was coming from. Carrot Top was in her garden tending to her unusually large crop of carrots. At least that explained why she hadn't answered the door.

"Hey, Carrot Top! Can I speak to you about something?"

Carrot Top looked up from what she was doing. The yellow earth pony shook some dirt out of her hooves and shook her orange mane to make sure it was free of unwanted material as well. This visit from Colgate was sudden and unexpected, so she hadn't had time to look presentable. Normally she would have been annoyed, but something about the unicorn's expression made her decide against it.

"Oh hi, Colgate. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Actually yes. Yes there is. Remember how I was telling you about Berry Punch? Well-"

"Not this again. I already told you there isn't anything wrong with her. She's always been a heavy drinker. You'd think with how long the two of you have known each other, you'd be used to that."

Colgate hated having to explain everything again. Especially when it came to dealing with Carrot Top. She hadn't known the earth pony for very long, but after her and Berry Punch's own houses had been destroyed by a sudden Parasprite swarm, Carrot Top had taken them in until repairs were finished. She had quickly become friends with the two. Colgate knew she meant well, but Carrot Top did have an issue with arguing from time to time. It was not something that presented a major problem, but it did cause some interesting issues throughout the years.

"Listen, Carrot Top. I understand that you haven't noticed a change, but I have. She was never this bad. You haven't been to her place lately. It's a disaster zone. I'm telling you because I am truly concerned for her. If anything bad happened to her, I don't know what I'd do."

"Alright, alright. It's obvious you feel strongly about this, but even if there was a problem what could we do about it? Ask her to stop drinking? That would be like asking me to stop growing carrots or you to throw away your toothbrush. It isn't natural."

"I'm not trying to get her to stop drinking entirely. We just need to find a way to convince her to lighten up with it. Berry needs to understand how bad it could be if she keeps this up."

"Fair enough, I suppose, but how exactly are we supposed to do that? Berry Punch has never been one to take to suggestion realistically."

"Well, earlier I went by Twilight Sparkle's library to see if she would be willing to help. She agreed and I came by to get you so that the three of us could come up with a plan."

"I guess if you've already gone through the trouble of asking the town bookworm then I have no choice but to help."

For once all day Colgate had finally started to feel better. Just maybe, they'd be able to actually help out their friend. The fact that she had gotten Carrot Top to agree to it so quickly was surprising.

"You really think this is going to work, Colgate?"

"It's the only chance we have at anything right now."

"I still think you're looking too far into this, but I'll help." Carrot top looked down at her hooves and noticed that she was still dirty. "Just let me get cleaned up before we go. Something tells me Twilight isn't the type of Unicorn to take too kindly to dirt."

"Did anyone ever tell you that you have a strange obsession with carrots?"

"This coming from the pony who spends more of her time brushing her teeth than sleeping."

For the first time today, Colgate let out a chuckle and followed Carrot Top into her house to wait for her friend to get ready. It was still amazing how neatly everything was coming into place. She was starting to think that they would actually be able to find a solution.

Later that night, the two arrived at Twilight Sparkle's library. When she let them in, Colgate noticed that she had an exasperated look on her face. Books were tossed about left and right. In a way, the place was now in a similar condition to Berry Punch's place.

"Hi girls. Thanks for coming by. Sorry for the mess, but I sort of got caught up in looking some stuff up."

Colgate was a bit confused. All this looking through books on something like this. It was almost as if she was trying to find a spell for this. She knew very well that magic wouldn't solve the problem. She was just about to say something when Twilight stopped her.

"Spike is brewing us some tea. Come have a seat and we'll get to discussing some ideas. I've come up with something that just might work."

As she walked off, Carrot Top turned to Colgate.

"Are you sure she's the best pony to rely on about this? I feel like we could come up with something ourselves without worrying about if she is going to go crazy on us."

"Come on, Carrot Top. At least she's willing to help. Plus, she's also the best pony I know when it comes to dealing with matters of friendship."

Carrot Top shrugged and the two followed Twilight into her study. It was obvious that she had put much time into this. There were crumpled up sheets of paper lying around everywhere. She had been clearly working on plans of some sort, but the amount of paper made it apparent that she had not settled on anything yet. Colgate was starting to have doubts and maybe think Carrot Top was right about Twilight's involvement when the purple unicorn spoke up.

"Now, as you can tell, I have been hard at work trying to figure something out. I first looked through all of my books to see if there was a spell that would end a drinking habit," Colgate stifled a laugh, "but there was nothing in my books anywhere. I was starting to wonder just how we were going to get anywhere. Then it dawned on me. We need to use an intervention."

Colgate was amazed at how much "research" Twilight had done on a subject that had just a simple explanation.

"We know that much Twilight, we were hoping you'd be able to help devise a plan."

"I was just about to get to that. I have a way we can get this to work, but you two are going to be the biggest part of it."

She handed Colgate and Carrot Top a sheet of parchment each. They both had a huge list of supplies on it that made it seem as if they were going to be attending a birthday party or something. There were streamers, balloons, cake and other party supplies.

"Now, I need each of you to get what is on that list. I have had a 'contact' of mine start to prepare and she'll handle getting Berry Punch. Then you'll meet me in the Canterlot Castle ballroom tomorrow afternoon. I've already got your tickets waiting for you at the train station. This is perfect. I must admit Colgate, when you asked for my help with this I had no idea what to do. Then it hit me. With the two of you able to put this together we'll be able to get this to work no problem. Oh, I'm actually looking forward to this. It's time to find out if I'm good at interventions. Maybe we can do one for-"

She cut herself off at seeing the confused looks on the other ponies' faces.

"Sorry, I got carried away. Do you have any questions?"

Carrot Top was the first to speak up.

"Yeah....These lists....It looks as if we were preparing-"

Twilight smiled.

"Yes. A party."