• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 548 Views, 9 Comments

Born of Chaos - forgottenscholar



Another thought as to how Nightmare Moon was created and how the Princesses defeated Discord.

  • ...
 9
 548

Chapter 4

Chapter Four

“Ahahahahaha!”

Discord opened his jaws wide as he laughed maniacally, sending a shower of perisprites out of his throat at this recent turn of events.

“The Elements of Harmony? Oh, what a load of tosh!”

Discord picked an apple out of a nearby tree that had just been turned to stone, the apple seemed to be beating like a heart, and when he bit into it, strange purple goo leaked out and dribbled down his chin.

“If something like that could’ve stopped me, I’m sure one of the other several races would have used them, and I haven’t even heard of these so called ‘elements’ before.”

He threw the apple over his shoulder, where it exploded on the ground behind him.

Waving his hand through his makeshift scryer, he caused it to shatter, and then waved his hand again, turning the shards of frozen milk into half-butterfly half-bee creatures that buzzed off into the distance. He vaguely heard some unfortunate ponies scream in terror as they came across his newest creations.

“Now all that’s left is to make another visit to my beloved Luna.”

Another laugh bubbled out from somewhere deep inside of him as he turned into his smoke form once again and floated off towards the castle.

===

Luna sighed as she finally closed the door to her room. After she had ended the meeting with her sister, she had had to go through some more legal ponycrap about her new duties and what they entailed.

“Like it’s going to be that way for long anyway.” She muttered to herself as she approached her desk and prepared to remove her crown and makeup.

Before she could do much more than draw a bowl of water however, her window blew open and a red cloud of mist floated into the room. The mist began spinning rapidly in the center of her bedroom, giving of a pleasant aroma that reminded Luna of rain and seemed to be emitting a low hum.

In a sudden burst of red light, the mist dissipated and Discord stood where it once was, his arms spread wide in another of his dramatic gestures, a bouquet of black roses in one hand.

Looking at Luna, he held the flowers towards her and gave a slight bow. “For you, my dearest Princess.”

Luna giggled and took the flowers from him with her magic before placing them into an empty vase that stood next to her bed.

“Oh Discord, they’re so beautiful!” She sniffed at them, and noticed that the flowers had the same strange rain-like smell from earlier.

“I made them just for you, Luna.” Discord walked over and sat on the edge of her bed. “They’re made especially for the nighttime. They don’t need sunlight to grow as they drink in star and moonlight the same way normal plants draw in sunlight.”

He waved a hand and conjured a shadow image of the two of them walking side by side that made Luna smile.

“Why Discord! Who knew that you were such a romantic?” The moon princess blushed slightly and got into the bed next to him, lying down in a comfortable position.

Discord shrugged. “I guess it’s only with you.” He reached over and ran his paw up the side of her face before he plucked her crown off of her head and tossed it onto her desk. “Normally I’m much more macho.”

Luna laughed again, gazing at her oddly-shaped love with even more affection. “Well, I suppose that’s a good thing.”

Her eyes popped open suddenly, the black slit of her turquoise eyes narrowing. “Oh! I almost forgot! Celestia is going off on some kind of mission or some such. She said she’s going to find something called the ‘Elements of Harmony.’”

She looked at him, worried. “Supposedly they were used to beat something else a long time ago and she thinks that they can be used against you.”

Discord gasped and widened his eyes at all the right moments. His acting skills were superb, never missing a beat, as if this were the first time he was hearing this information.

Luna went on. “There’s a book in the library explaining what the Elements are, and where they might be found. Did you want to look at it? I thought this was important and that you might want to see it.”

Discord scratched at his chin, giving the appearance of deep thought. When in fact the only thing he was thinking of was how easy it was to get this pony to do what he wanted, and all he had to do was spout some pretty words and give her some useless “gifts”.

“No, I don’t think it’s that much after a threat. After all, once you raise the sun in the morning, Celestia will only have two days left to try and stop me, and I’ve already turned much of Equestria to my liking anyway.” He leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the tip of her nose. “Why don’t you go ahead and rest up while I go wreak some more chaos? You’re going to need your strength tomorrow!”

He chuckled again and took off into the night, leaving Luna smiling on her bed.

The princess sighed again, this time in contentment as she lay down fully to go to sleep. Just as she was about to drift off into her dreams, a thought popped into her head.

How did Discord know she was going to raise the sun?

===

Luna stood outside the front doors of the palace, facing the eastern horizon with a look of determination on her face.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see her sister and her guards looking at her with anticipation, and that made her nervous. Was she really ready for this? Could she really even do this?

Her anxiety must have shown because she heard her sister say, “You can do it Luna. It’s just like raising the moon.”

Luna nodded, then took a deep breath and began the process of lifting the sun.

Using her magic, she reached out and urged the moon to move on into the western skies. Then, cautiously she encouraged the sun to rise, helping it along its path by lifting it slightly until it finally took its place in the heavens, lighting the lands below.

Celestia nodded proudly and walked up to her younger sister. “Very good Luna, now don’t you worry, I should be back by tomorrow, and then we’ll finally be able to defeat Discord, together.”

Luna nodded and stood back as her sister spread her wings and took off into the sky, towards the Everfree Forest with her pegasus entourage en tow.
Luna scoffed, tossing her mane back behind her ear. “Defeat Discord?” She began to mutter as she made her way back to the castle. “I hardly think that that is going to happen Celestia.” She paused to look at the sun. “And that... Ugh!”

The Moon Princess was shaking her head in disgust as she made her way to the throne room to begin the daily regimen of hearing the ponies’ problems and complaints. Oh, my neighbor has been stealing my crops! And I’ve lost my best hat somewhere in the alleyways!

Pathetic, the whole lot of them.

But she had to play the part, and play it she did. The façade she was putting on of actually caring for these ponies’ problems was, all-in-all, fairly good. She kept asking herself, What would Discord do?

Afterwards, when she had seen all of the ponies she could, she had do to yet even more political nonsense. And even though she was forced to do these things, her thoughts were always on him, Discord.

===

Discord, on the other hand, or paw rather, had hardly a thought for the young Princess. Too busy was he playing with the ponies of Equestria.

Currently, he had somehow attached strings to an earth pony, a pegasus, and a unicorn, and was using them all like puppets. The pegasus in his left hand, the earth pony in his right, and the unicorn was being controlled by his tail.

“Hahaha! This is so much fun!” Discord pulled at the strings, making the ponies dance and to his fancy.

And his fancy was quite, shall we say, crude. The way he was moving the three was not in ways that good ponies did in public. Or barely even in privacy.

“Oh come now my little ponies! Isn’t this fun? You all need to get out more!” Discord sighed. “But I guess it’s to be expected. I mean, look at who rules you! Princess Celestia... HA! What a joke she is, am I right?”

He began spinning the unicorn, twirling his tail faster and faster until her face began turning green. “Heehee! Hahaha! Oh I love you guys!” He swung them up and around, before finally setting them back on the ground and letting them go.

“Come and play again sometime soon!” He cried after them as they galloped away at top speed.

Discord pointed at the sky, making the clouds rain a variety of different drinks; orange and apple juice, flavored waters, and his personal favorite; chocolate milk.

“Yum yum!”

He manifested a glass and held it under the chocolate rain cloud. Then, he turned in the direction of the Everfree forest. And, raising his glass in a mock salute said, “Good luck on your hunt Princess! Just over 40 hours left! And then all of this will be mine!”

He quickly downed his drink, and ate the glass.

He waved one arm across the land scape, and huge cracks began breaking out all around the village of Ponyville, creeping closer as they spewed out dancing trees and songbirds that flew backwards and screamed their little heads off.

Discord face twisted up in cruel delight. “Chaos is the order of the universe, and I am the Harbinger.”

Laughing, he turned a small pond into frozen pudding and began skating across it with ease, giggling to himself the entire time, while the citizens of Ponyville began to wonder why their beloved princess hadn’t saved them from this monstrosity yet.