• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 548 Views, 9 Comments

Born of Chaos - forgottenscholar



Another thought as to how Nightmare Moon was created and how the Princesses defeated Discord.

  • ...
 9
 548

Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Celestia was roaming the hallways of the castle, different kinds of plans buzzing through her mind as she thought of the best way to get rid of the being known as Discord.

So focused was she on trying to come up with a way that she had lowered the moon and brought up the sun without even talking it over with her sister. She won’t mind, Was her argument. As long as it was just this once after all.

Speaking of her sister, Celestia was coming up on Luna’s room now. She slowly walked up to the door, hoping her sister would understand why she didn’t need her help at this moment.

Just as she was going to knock on the door, she heard a small noise from the inside. Frowning, she put her ear to the door to hear it better. Laughter. Her sister was laughing.

A smile broke out on the Sun princess’s face as she heard the noise. If Luna was laughing, then surely everything was forgiven and all would be better. She knocked on the door, before opening it with her magic.

“Luna? Luna dear, are you better?” Her muzzle poked into the room to a strange sight. Her sister was alone, dancing as if there were someone else with her.

“Luna?” Celestia stepped fully into the room.

Luna spun around at the sound of her sister’s voice. “Sister! When did you-?” She quickly spun in a circle, as if searching for something. A light blue flash caught Celestia’s eye as Luna finally stopped spinning with a puzzled look on her face.

“Luna, let me see your eyes.”

“What? Whatever for?” Luna quickly looked out the window. “There’s nothing wrong with my eyes. And besides, don’t you have other matters to attend to than a simple visit for your sister?” Her voice was dripping with scorn as she looked back over her shoulder to see Celestia walking towards her, her mane and tail flowing luxuriously behind her.

“Luna please, there’s no reason to be like this. And I only want to take a quick look at your eyes because I thought I saw something.”

Luna hesitated. What would Celestia think when she saw her dragon eyes? Then again, why should she care? Her sister would complain and put up some small argument before giving up, just as she did with everything else.
“Fine.” Luna spun and faced her elder sister, fierce and proud.

Celestia stared for a good ten seconds at least, and then turned away.

“I guess it was nothing. I had stopped by to see if you had wanted to share breakfast with me. If you so choose to do so, I’ll be in the dining hall.” With that, Celestia left, closing the door behind her.

Luna let out the breath she didn’t know she had been holding. But curious about her sisters’ reaction, she turned and faced her reflection. Yes, her eyes were still like those of a dragon, but her sister had acted like they were still normal.

“Your sister and all those loyal to her won’t be able to see the eyes I’ve given you. To them, they’ll just look normal.” Discord’s voice rang out through her mind, a welcoming thing after he had left her suddenly.

She chuckled. “You think of everything, don’t you Discord?”

His face appeared as a smoky image in the mirror. “Well, I have had some practice,” He said. “Anyway my dear, I have some other business to attend to in Equestria. But I shall return tonight. I promise.”

As he said those last two words, they wrote themselves on the mirror in what looked like ink made of starlight.

Luna touched her horn to the words and whispered, “I’ll be waiting Discord.” Then, turning on her heels, she walked out of her room and down to the dining hall to eat breakfast.

===

Discord laughed as he backed away from the mirror he had created to communicate with Luna, watching as it sprout three lags and wobbled off.

She had been very easy to manipulate. Especially since she had all of those negative thoughts already.

And his “gift”? Sure, those eyes were a present, but all they did for her really was just increase her eyesight. But they were really for him, they let him see whatever Luna was seeing whenever he wanted, basically his own set of eyes right inside the castle.
He laughed again and waved his hand at the river running through the city, turning it into molasses. The ponies bathing in it trying to swim back towards the shore was a sight to see. He rolled over onto his back, holding his sides as he laughed harder than he had yet at the pure chaos that was breaking free across the land.

Sure it was moving slower than he would have liked, but after all, he had made a bet. And he was, if anything, a being of his word.

So just barely three days remained for Celestia to try and stop him. He gave a snort. Like was going to happen. He looked around him; the ground differed between swamp land, soapy water, quicksand and hot stones. All of the animals had already been mutated into more pleasing shapes, mangled and twisted.

But there was still one spot where he hadn’t touched yet, the actual village of Ponyville. His crown jewel, he was waiting to change that. It was going to be his last work of art, his piece de resistance. He already knew what he was going to do, but it was going to be the final pie in Celestia’s face when he changed it.

He was going to force her to watch as he turned everything she knew into a more beautiful, chaotic form.

His grin would’ve made any pony run away in fear as he thought of finally crushing the ponies’ hearts in one swift move.

Oh yes, he could hardly wait.

“Just you wait ponies!” His voice blew over the village, making the ponies quiver and shake. “Soon you will all belong to me! Soon your Princess Celestia will fall, your kingdom will fall, and I will rise!”

Discord then began laughing his head off, literally. His head actually popped off and he threw it up in the air a few times before screwing it back onto his shoulders.

“Oh this is just too much fun!” he scratched his chin with a single claw. “I wonder what the Princess is up to.”

He waved his paw in the air before him, causing a way circle of what looked like milk to appear. He then poked his claw into the center, the ripples spreading before they reached the edge, making the liquid flash once before an image of the castle was brought up. He was now looking through the eyes of Princess Luna.

“What’s going on my dear?” He brought down a single cloud, turning it into a lounge chair before he plopped down and manifested some popcorn for himself. “Let’s find out!”

===

Luna blinked as though something was stuck in her eye.

“Oh blast it!” Facing down, she blinked rapidly until the feeling dissipated. Sighing gratefully she resumed walking.

After breakfast, she had returned to her room and slept for most of the day. Then, in the afternoon, she had gotten a note saying her sister had invited her down to the royal library to help with some research. It was obvious that Celestia was trying to make up something to her, not that it would work. Luna was still angry with her sister, even if she didn’t know why.

But whatever. Making her way down to the library, her thoughts turned to Discord. Even thinking of him was enough to make her blush now. I guess I really AM in love with him. She thought to herself. Which was odd, seeing as he wasn’t even a pony. He wasn’t even... anything now that she thought about it. He was just a bunch of things put together. But still, she didn’t mind.

Lost in her thoughts of Discord, she didn’t realize she was at the royal library until she ran into the doors and bounced off of them.

“Ouch!” She rubbed her forehead with her hoof where she had hit it. Growling, she opened the door and stepped inside.

“You wanted me Celestia?”

Celestia was standing in front of one of the bookshelves on the wall, several books floating around her as she looked at the titles of each one. “Yes Luna, please sit down.”

Luna glared at the older pony. She had just been ordered! Huffing, she sat down and placed her hoofs on the table. “So what is it?”

“Well, I believe I may have found something that might help us in our fight with Discord. After all, we only have three days left.”

Luna stiffened in her seat. “What do you mean Celestia?”

Celestia turned around and walked over to the seat opposite Luna, plopping down several books on the desk. “Ask yourself this Luna. What’s the opposite of chaos?”

Luna cocked her head to the side as she thought. “Hmm, I wouldn’t know.” Nor did she really care.

“Order Luna, harmony.” Celestia opened one of the books and showed its contents to Luna.

“See here? In the ancient times of Equestria, there was another being much the same as Discord, though it was nameless and didn’t last long. Our ancestors, Moonburst and Lightswell, battled the evil with something called the ‘Elements of Harmony.’”

Luna scowled to herself. Luckily Celestia didn’t notice; she was too busy sticking her nose into her book.

“If we can find these ‘Elements of Harmony’, then we may have a chance of defeating Discord.” Celestia looked up at her sister. Her brow furrowed as she saw the look on her face.

“Luna? Are you ok?”

Luna shook her head. “Sorry, my mind was elsewhere.” Thinking of Discord. But she would never say that aloud. “But yes, I’m fine.” She stood up and began walking around the room.

“Do you even have any idea where these so called ‘elements’ are anyway sister?” She looked at the Sun Princess over her shoulder, waiting for her answer.

Celestia took her time in answering. “The last known records of the elements state that they are located somewhere in the Everfree Forest. In the old castle used by the Old Rulers.”

“Hmm,” Luna started walking towards the door. “And the plan is?”

“I am going with half of the Royal Guard into the forest to look for them in the morning.” Celestia used her magic and put the books back.

Luna marked the location of the Elements book; Discord might have use of the information in the future. “And what of the Sun?”

“You will take over for me Luna.” Celestia walked up to her and placed her fore hoof on her younger sisters’ shoulder. “You shall be in charge of both Moon and Sun while I am away.”

Luna was genuinely shocked, she didn’t even think that she had enough power to control both, let alone the stamina. And if she was going to be able to stay awake most times to raise both of the heavenly bodies.

The elder pony seemed to notice her hesitation. “You have the capabilities Luna, I know you do.” She looked out the window at the moon in the sky. “And I am sorry for raising the moon the moon twice now without your permission, but you have seemed... out of it the last couple of days.”

Luna nodded. “Very well Celestia. I will take the responsibility.” Plus, she thought to herself, it will give me more time with Discord.

Celestia sighed with relief. “Thank you Luna. I know that I can trust you.” She walked towards the door and looked back. “I trust that you will see me and my troop off in the morning, after you raise the Sun of course.” She walked out of the library.

Luna gave a grin, her turquoise dragon eyes flashing in the moonlight. “Of course, dear sister.”