• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 2,273 Views, 41 Comments

Nightwing - ZettaGolden



When Richard Grayson's parents are taken from him by a money grubbing mobster, he dedicates his life to becoming the crime fighting super-hero, Nightwing. Humanized, people with horns and wings.

  • ...
6
 41
 2,273

Luna's Knight

It would be time soon. Princess Luna, her skin so pale from an almost total lack of sunlight that she almost glowed, leant against the railing of her balcony. When the night came in the old days, it was a time of peace and utter stillness. Now, people stayed awake all hours of the day, spending their time on the various vices this new Equestria had to offer. Drug addicts hit up their dealers attempting to get their next fix, thieves and extortionists visited the people who did sleep in the night, pilfering or threatening until they got the bits they lusted after so dearly.

It made her sick.

When she and her older sister had first returned to Canterlot, Luna had been pleased to find that the city was a shining utopia in the heart of a great and powerful kingdom. Unfortunately, she had quickly discovered that her home was currently being plagued by parasites. The mob had come to Equestria around twenty years ago, and had a large foothold in her kingdom. How Celestia could let such filth get away with the crime and corruption they had brought into the once morally untouchable nation, Luna would never understand.

No, that wasn't true. The princess of the night understood perfectly. The rulers of the vile criminal organization were cowards, hiding in the dark and laughing at their merciful ruler, Celestia. The legal system in Equestria was based on the assumption that everyone was innocent until proven guilty. And so, criminals had learned how to be careful. And until something drastic was done, their evil empire would grow out of control.

Knowing innately what time it was, Luna smiled to herself, turned, and entered her bedroom, eager for the arrival of her guest. Nervously, she smoothed the creases in her flowing black ballgown and sat on the edge of her bed. In a manner of moments...

A knock on the door surprised Luna. He had never used a conventional entrance before, and that made her suspicious. Who could be calling at such a late hour? To her royal chambers, no less?

Gracefully hopping off of her cushioned duvet, she practically floated over to the door and opened it without so much as a sound. To her surprise, her older sister was standing there, wearing a pajama suit that was covered in little cartoon banana's.

"Hello, Lulu. May I come it?"

Luna was about to tell her sister that she was expecting someone, but realized how suspicious that would sound, so she reluctantly grunted her approval. The pair entered the bedroom, and the woman with starry hair motioned for her sister to join her on the balcony. Hopefully, he would see Celestia's multi-coloured, luminescent hair and stay away. Then again, his bravado was his weakest suit. He might take it as a challenge.

"So, sister, what brings you to my towers this late into my night?" The younger of the two sisters still spoke to crowds and audiences with the Royal Canterlot voice, using the proper 'We' and 'Us', but around her sister and perhaps two others, she dropped the pretense.

Celestia was silent for a moment, and merely gazed up at the moon. "Do you know what they're calling him now?"

For a moment, Luna was lost. "Who?"

"Nightwing. The people have started to call him 'Luna's Knight'. Very clever, don't you think?"

"Well... I suppose it is quite a clever play on words, yes. Where did you hear that, sister?"

Celestia chuckled, and looked down at her pajama's. "I read it in the newspaper today. That was one of the nicknames they used to talk about him. He's been causing quite the uproar, you know."

Luna fidgeted with her dress nervously. Did she know? "Yes, so I've heard. The mob is really quite upset with him."

"I think 'upset' might be a bit of an understatement, little sister. After all, a record number of their men have been convicted of a huge number of crimes since his arrival. The funny thing is, it's like he knows exactly what the police look for when they investigate. He just leaves properly collected evidence in the middle of crime scene for our detectives to find. And then, when we follow the leads he leaves us and we investigate the next piece of the puzzle, he's already come, beaten some thugs up, collected more evidence, and gone."

Luna didn't respond, so Celestia just continued. "And yet, Lulu, we still have to bring him down. Do you know why?"

"Oh no, she knows" Luna worried. "Because he's disobeying the law?"

"Yes, that's true. But a man like that, a man who moonlights as a masked crime fighter, a man who's obsessed with beating criminals mercilessly, that's the kind of man who has some deep seated issues. He has the same evil smouldering inside of him that you did before your... episode. He's a threat to the very people he's trying to save."

Luna bristled at this, and looked as if she'd been slapped. "How... dare...!?"

Celestia raised her hands to cut off her sensitive sibling. "Easy there, Luna. I didn't mean any disrespect by it. All I'm pointing out is that he is not a stable individual. There is a side to him which will eventually collapse."

"Why are you telling me all of this!?" The moon monarch asked angrily.

"Because I want you to know that Nightwing will become corrupted if left unchecked. Luna, whoever the Nightwing is, he will die if he continues down this road. If you know anything... who he is, where he's based... we need to save him. I'm sending Twilight Sparkle a letter tomorrow morning, Lulu. The Elements of Harmony may be the only thing who can eliminate whatever darkness it is that drives him."

Celestia stretched, her arms and wings extending to her sides, before she relaxed again. "Well, Lulu, I've enjoyed our chat. Just remember... he's dangerous." The sun princess yawned and showed herself out of her sister's bedroom, hoping that her recently returned sibling would make the right choice.

Luna heard the door to her bedroom click shut, and tossed her head a little bit, allowing her magically flowing hair to spread out silently behind her. Talking to Celestia was always so exhausting. She had a way of making you think she knew everything that happened under the sun. Sometimes, Luna was worried that she did.

"I always thought that voice of hers was pretty." Came a new voice, causing Luna to whip around with a hand to her heart and her horn alight. Nightwing was nonchalantly perched on the balcony railing, gazing absentmindedly after his former idol.

"Ah! Dick, you scared me." She said, panting and removing the aura of magic was preparing to release.

"Part of the job, your highness. Anyways, I need more of that chemical, SR-230. My suit isn't as resistant to cold as I would like, and I have a special polymer blend that I've been eager to try out. I also need more carbonized titanium. I used a few more razor-wings than I wanted to last night. Oh, and I need you to get me the file of a man named "Craghorn". I have reason to believe he's in Zucco's inner circle."

Luna glared at the intruder with an outraged look on her face for a moment before responding bitterly. "You know, I only just got back from a one-thousand year imprisonment on the moon. Celestia might deem it necessary to send me right back again if she knew I was the one supplying you with the materials to make your gadgets."

"And yet, you do it anyways."

The starry haired princess crossed her arms and turned her winged back to Dick. "Please... please don't make me regret this. If it turns out she's right... If you turn out to be just another Nightmare Moon..."

Nightwing took a few steps forward and put a hand on Luna's shoulder, causing her to stiffen visibly. Had it been anyone else, Luna would have berated them intensely for being so insolent as to lay hands on her royal body.. "It will never come to that, Luna. Never. As long as there remains a threat to the people of Equestria, I will always be there to save them."

Luna turned around and looked into the white optical ports on his mask. The glowing, white slits narrowed slightly, giving the impression that he was squinting behind the stylized domino. "Do you really think you can just... be incorruptible?! Even I couldn't just... couldn't just be as perfect or forgiving as Celestia. And I'm thousands of years old! You're but a child battling the enormity of creation!"

There was a very uncomfortable silence for a moment as Nightwing realized just how worried Luna was that she was becoming accessory to the rise of another super villain. "Did I ever tell you how my parents died?"

She stared at him for a moment. "No, but I've heard the story."

He nodded. "My family was killed by a man who gave in to greed, and ambition. My life was torn apart by his decisions. I'm not just out here to get revenge. I'm not just trying to... " Richard paused for a moment, trying to find the right word. "Get closure for my parent's death. Peoples lives get a little worse everyday. A little more corrupted, or someone who owes someone else money gets offed in front of their kids, or... people are intimidated into doing things that should only ever show up in their nightmares. And... they're losing hope, Luna. I can feel it." Dick put his armoured hands on her shoulders, and looked directly into her eyes.

"I'm out here to stand for something. To show the people of Equestria that there are still heroes who are willing to fight for them. You see, what Celestia doesn't understand is that justice doesn't always have to come from the light. You and I both know that not all darkness is bad. But I need you to trust me. If we're going to save Equestria, we can't do it all from the shadows. I need someone in power to be able to back me up here. I need you to trust me."

For a moment, the woman's eyes appeared to water. But, it was only for a moment, and she quickly steeled her gaze again. "Okay, Richard."

Nightwing nodded and hopped back onto the railing and drawing his grapnel gun for the black utility belt around his waist. "Oh, almost forgot." He reached into one of the compartments in his belt and pulled out a small, grey cylindrical object. He tossed it to her, and she caught it between two fingers.

"What is it?" She asked, eyeing the device suspiciously.

"Put it in your ear. If you ever need me, just press it and speak. I'll have one in at all times, so feel free to drop me a line. I'm not sure how powerful the range is, though, so try it out in the morning when I'm back in Ponyville."

Luna's eyes widened. "You're based in Ponyville!? But... That's where the Element Bearers are located!"

Dick smirked. "That's exactly why I'm based there. It lets me keep an eye on them. Besides, while the Elements may be receiving orders to arrest me on sight, they are still assets Equestria cannot afford to lose. If they were to die, all hope for this kingdom would be lost. They are the symbols of hope that the people truly need. I'm just... paving the way for them."

Dick stood on the edge, spreading his arms as he prepared to leap off. "Oh, and Luna?"

"Yes?"

"That dress looks nice on you and whatever, but you might want to consider updating your look."

Luna blushed, the pink tinge incredibly obvious on her porcelain cheeks, even in the dark of night. "Wha... you..." she spluttered, "Don't you have somewhere to be!?"

Dick smiled at her over his shoulder and leapt. "Really," he thought as he calmly drew his grapnel gun, "It's almost sad how easy she is to work up."


Wake up, go downstairs, make breakfast, clean up, organize the library, watch Twilight spend time with her friends, try and think up ways to win Rarity's heart, make dinner, go to bed.

Ever feel like you were stuck in a rut?

Spike sighed as he stirred the pancake batter in the mixing bowl. He was only twelve years old, and yet sometimes he felt ancient, the weight of the world on his shoulders. Maybe it was a dragon thing, that he matured faster in his mind than his body, or maybe it was just because he used to spend all of his time around either a princess or an extraordinarily serious young woman.

Heck, once in a while it was both at the same time.

The dragon boy had hoped that coming to Ponyville would mark a new beginning for him, and in a way, it had. Unfortunately, it wasn't as grand as Spike had envisioned.

Yes, Twilight got out more now, and yes, it was nice to hang out with his guardian's friends once in a while, but that was sort of the problem. They were her friends. Sure, he got along well with Apple Bloom, and sure, Snips and Snails always seemed to enjoy hanging out with him, but the reality was that Spike was lonely.

The woman he loved viewed him as a child, his best friend and borderline sister had found other people to spend time with, and, no matter how much he hated to admit it, he was starting to grow bitter.

Spike poured the homemade mixture in a sizzling hot skillet, enjoying the slight hiss the batter made as it came into contact with the hot surface. "It's not as if I don't love Twilight," he thought to himself as he began washing some dishes while his pancakes cooked, "But... sometimes it feels like... she's leaving me behind."

The young boy frowned, and paused for a moment. It really wasn't fair of him to grow jealous of Twilight. Having people her own age to talk to was good, great even. She was finally coming out of her shell, and Spike had noticed a huge difference in her attitude. She seemed perkier, happier. And Spike was upset about it...

Biting back feelings of guilt, Spike finished the dishes and checked the cooking flapjacks.

Perfect.

They would have to be. The green haired boy had decided that, if he was worried that he and Twilight were growing apart, he would do something about it. So Spike had woken early and come downstairs to make his best friend her favourite chocolate chip pancakes.

Everything was perfect. The table was set, flowers were arranged (lilacs; her favourite) and Spike had cooked the pancakes to perfection. Content, he took off the white apron that he had worn over his purple and green sweater and hung it up on the coat rack. Hopefully Twilight would be awake soon and then-

Spike gagged.

"Aww, not now..." he moaned before gagging again. Finally belching up an emerald green flame, a letter materialized in front of him bearing the Princess's royal seal. That wasn't good. Celestia only sent Twilight a letter if it was an emergency, or she was planning a visit.

For the sake of his breakfast, he hoped it was the latter.

"TWILIGHT!" He called up the stairs, "THE PRINCESS SENT YOU A LETTER!"

Spike smirked as he heard a crashing sound (probably her falling out of bed), another crashing sound (probably her tripping over the blankets she had dragged off of her bed with her), before the young woman crashed through the bedroom door, hair disheveled and eyes wide.

"Phew... Good morning, Spike." She panted, rubbing her back through her purple tank top as she descended the library stair case, opting to take her time lest she end up in the hospital, surrounded by nurses laughing at her clumsiness.

"Morning, Twi! I made pancakes!" The little boy puffed out his chest and held out the letter, determined to look optimistic. "Here ya go! I only just got it now, so she hasn't been waiting long."

The purple haired girl smiled, and brushed some purple hair behind her ear. "Why, thank you Spike. That's very generous of you." Twilight's horn shone for a moment as she levitated the scroll to herself, plucking it out of the air when it got within arms reach.

"Now then... let's see..." She unwrapped the parchment delicately, handling as if it was an extension of Celestia herself. In a way, Spike supposed it was. "Oh... Oh dear..." she gasped, "Spike, go pack my bag! I'm returning to Canterlot for a little while! I'm going to go get the other elements and... and... okay." Twilight exhaled deeply. "Calm. First stop, Sugar Cube Corner." Twilight turned to leave, but quickly realized she was still in her pajama's and ran upstairs to get dressed properly.

"Wha...!?" Spike asked, feeling his heart crack a little bit. He glanced over at the breakfast he had prepared for the two of them and sighed, just as Twilight burst out of her room again, pulling on a pair of jeans past her mis-matched socks.

"Alright, Spike, have the bag ready by the time I get back! The Princess is sending transport for noon, so we must make haste!" Twilight rushed over to the door, and opened it with a quick burst of telekinesis.

"Ya, sure Twilight! But what did the-" the door let out a great SLAM as it was forcibly replaced in the entry way. "-letter say...?" His heart cracked a little bit more as Twilight left him standing alone in their home, the pancakes he had worked so hard on getting cold on the table.

"Guess I'm eating alone..."


"Here are your keys, Mr. Grayson!" The attractive young saleswoman said cheerily. "And thank you for purchasing with Ponyville Real Estate!"

Dick smiled as he accepted the small, metal tools from the woman. "No, thank you. It's a pleasure to finally to be resident of this fine community."

"Sorry about the wait on the house, the old tenants took longer than expected moving out."

Richard shrugged. "It's fine. I had other projects going on anyways, so I wasn't really waiting too much."

This, surprisingly enough, was only the second time since the Nightmare Moon incident that Dick had entered Ponyville proper. While technically the Cave was within town limits, it was actually hidden deep underneath the bustling settlement. Richard had found some abandoned Diamond Dog descent tunnels hidden and forgotten below the town, and so, for the past two months, Dick had been clearing out debris and reinforcing the cavern.

Surprisingly, there were still a huge number of gems encased in the walls of the abandoned complex, and Dick could even tap into the town's underground power lines from here. Thus being equipped with a nearly infinite supply of free power and more gems than he knew what to do with, Dick set about creating a base of operations for Nightwing the likes of which would make even Princess Celestia jealous.

But, as impressive as it was, it was no home. If Richard was going to bother keeping a secret identity, he might as well try and live it from time to time instead of devoting every spare moment to furthering Nightwing's cause.

And so, Dick decided it was time to become an official resident of Ponyville. If he could buy a home over the Cave, then perhaps he could establish some kind of transport between his house and Nightwing's lair. The tactical advantage of not having to leave his home in the middle of the night to get to the hidden entrance in the Everfree forest was significant.

Which, of course, had led him to the local Realtor's office, who eagerly accepted his business. After all, Ponyville wasn't the largest town in Equestria. It was rare that someone new chose to migrate there, and the housing market needed the bit (or in this case, gem) influx.

Richard and his real estate agent said their goodbyes, and parted ways. Thankfully, the house came fully furnished, so Dick just had to unpack and stock up the kitchen. Simple, and inconspicuous. Just the way he liked it. Richard unlocked the door, stepped inside, and took a deep breath.

It was all coming together.

The cave, while still under renovations, served as an excellent laboratory and storage area for all of Nightwing's gadgets, and he had even begun work on something he liked to call the 'Nightcycle'. It would certainly make his trips into Canterlot much easier, not to mention the cities that were really far like Fillydelphia.

Dick explored his new house, noting with pleasure that the latitude and longitude lines in his living room matched perfectley with the cave. All he needed to do was craft a service elevator, hide it behind a bookcase or something, and he was set.

Flopping down on his couch, the young earth descent wondered how he should go about introducing himself into the Element Bearer's lives. While they may be ordered to blast Nightwing with their harmony magic, Dick Grayson was very much open to a friendship with the six young ladies. After all, the more they trusted him, the closer he could keep an eye open for threats to their safety.

Of course, Dick already knew everything about them. He had made it his business to discover everything about anyone in a position of power or importance. You never knew when someone needed to be hunted down by Nightwing.

"Well..." he thought to himself, knowing for a fact that unless he beat Pinkamena Diane Pie to the punch, she would intrude on his life at the least opportune moment, "No time like the present."

Checking to make sure his cutie mark was hidden beneath a layer of make-up, he walked out of his house and looked around. "First stop, library."

As he looked around the town, he was struck by how... pure, it was. It was too small to have been touched by the mob (for now) and everyone seemed to have the same bright expression on their faces. A couple walked across the street, smiling tenderly at each other and holding hands, while a trio of children ran this was and that, shrieking with laughter. Should he really infringe on their happiness by imposing Nightwing onto this small community? Was he thrusting all of these innocent people into danger?

Maybe. But he needed to ensure the Element Bearers were kept safe at all times. This was a sacrifice he was willing to make. Besides, if the time ever same when Nightwing's base was discovered, he'd find a way to save everyone.

Reaching the library, however, Dick was greeted by the sight of the Element Bearers boarding two large, royal chariots pulled by stoic looking guards. Spike was watching dejectedly on the sidelines, and Richard felt a twinge of sadness for the little dragon boy despite himself.

"Alright, boys, thank you for waiting, we're all set! Spike, keep the library organized while I'm gone!" Twilight called out, causing the guards to nod, and begin flapping their powerful wings.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie raised her head and sniffed the air, before whipping around with a feral look in her eyes. "WAIT! THERE'S THE NEW GUY!!!" But it was too late, the guards were already in the air, and turning back now would mean crashing.

Pinkies cry's did, however, draw seven pairs of eyes to gaze at him. "Dick...?" Twilight whispered, seeing the young man for the second time since he disappeared.

This time though, Richard wanted to be seen. "I'll catch you when you get back, Twi!" he called, raising a hand in both greeting, and parting.

She just continued to stare at him with her jaw dropped, purple hair tossing in the wind.

"Ma'am?" One of the guards called back, "Should we make a loop?"

For a moment, Twilight Sparkle was tempted to say yes. But the Celestia apparently needed to see her concerning an urgent matter, and her royal duties took precedence. "... No. Maintain heading, please."

Soon enough, the girls were mere specks in the distance flying towards Canterlot (which was enjoying it's lowest crime rates in years).

"Richard...?" Spike breathed, his eyes alight with child like wonder. "Is that really you!?"

Dick brushed some black hair out of his eyes and smiled at the young boy who seemed so ecstatic to see him. "Well, unless it turns out that I'm actually a changeling and I just never knew it, I'm gonna have to say yes."

For a moment, the little green haired boy just stared at him with an open mouth, mirroring Twilight's expression. "Pegasi of a feather..." he recited in his head, remembering the old saying his mother used to say.

"Honestley," Richard began, "I'm surprised you remember me. You were, what, two, when I left."

Spike shrugged. "Well... All I really remember is you and Twilight hanging out from time to time, but it is kind of blurry. I guess I'm mostly just getting all sentimental 'cause of how much Twi missed you when you were gone." Suddenly, Spike looked a little upset. "Hey, where were you!? You just up and left in the middle of the night without saying goodbye to anyone!"

Richard stared the boy down, unconsciously focusing the 'Nightwing gaze' he had used on so many criminals on the little boy, causing Spike to shiver slightly. "I needed to clear my head." Richard blinked, berating himself silently for using the stare on what could be a valuable ally. "What matters is that I'm here now. And I'm not going anywhere."

Spike nodded, before a smile broke through his sombre gaze. "Well hey, if you haven't had breakfast, you can come in and have some cold pancakes with me. I made them for Twilight and I, but..."

Dick smiled. "I'd love to."


Wind whipped at the six friends as they looked at Twilight with concerned expressions.

"Twilight, dear," Rarity began, "who was he? You look as if you've just seen a ghost."

Twilight just continued to stare behind the carriage at the rapidly disappearing Ponyville. "In a way," she started slowly, "I think I did. That was Richard Grayson, a... friend of mine from back when I was younger. After his parents died in an accident, Celestia took him in to be her pupil. Only, one day, he just... left. That was ten years ago. I thought he was dead."

"Accident?" Applejack asked, the story hitting a tad too close to home, "What kind of accident?"

For a moment, their purple horned friend didn't answer, a look of pain crossing her face. Seeing those two poor people hit the ground had been... Upsetting... for a small child. "They were circus performers, all three of them... And Celestia and I were in the audience, and they were going about their routine, and it was incredible, the way that Richard could move without fear. And then... his parents leapt onto the trapeze and it just... snapped."

There was silence for a moment, and the the guards flying the chariots were glad they weren't part of the conversation. Dealing with someone who had suffered loss could be incredibly awkward, and they knew that it was best if you just avoided it.

"Wait!" Dash spoke up, "He's the Dick Grayson!? Of the Flying Grayson's?"

"Uhm... Ya." Twilight replied. "Do you know them?"

Rainbow shrugged, and leaned back against the edge of the chariot, taking care to not let her blue wings get crushed between her and the enchanted gold plating. "Not really, all I know is that Soarin used to perform in the same circus as them. Apparently, they were a huge hit."

"But what's he doing in Ponyville?" Rarity asked, confused.

"Who cares, Rarity? If he's back, then he's back. Besides, having your parents die in front of you is probably pretty tough. He might have just needed a breather." Rainbow Dash yawned, apparently not terribly concerned about the situation. To her, it was just some guy. Why should she care?

"Alright ladies, we're here!" A guard called back.

The six friends landed in the castle gardens, and were quickly escorted to the throne room, all of them nervously anticipating what the Princess needed to speak with them so urgently about. Standing at the giant gold doors, however, they still didn't know. Of course, they were about to find out.

"Presenting the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony to Princess Celestia of the Sun, and Princess Luna of the Moon," The booming voice of a guard announced, and the aforementioned Elements were ushered into the throne room.

There, sitting on their respective thrones, were the two royal sisters of Equestria, wearing grim expressions on their faces. Or, at least, Celestia was. Luna just looked as if she was being inconvenienced by this whole thing.

"Greetings, my loyal subjects." Celestia called to them once they reached the appropriate distance from the two thrones, one made of solid gold, the other made of pure onyx. "I suppose you're all wondering why I called you here on such short notice?"

"Yes, Princess, I... WE, are." Twilight spoke up. "What could have arisen that you need to power of the Elements of Harmony?"

Celestia raised her pure white hand and smiled gently. "Patience, my faithful student." The sun princess nodded to her sister, and raised her royal staff (also made of gold) and projected a series of images in front of the young women.

"Ever since the Summer Sun Celebration this year, a rogue vigilante crime fighter going by the name of "Nightwing" has been active in Equestria." Celestia allowed that information to sink in before she continued, projecting the very few images that lucky reporters had managed to snap of him. "He has consistently eluded all attempts we have made at arresting him, and has left a number of our Royal Guard in bruised and bloody heaps."

The girls winced as an image of a member of the Royal Equestrian Honour Guard lying in a full body cast was displayed by the motes of light shining forth from the Princess's staff. "He has proved to be very dangerous, and seems to have an agenda of some kind, methodically striking various members of the Equestrian Mob, and his... activities in invading and destroying the crime organization have led us to believe that he has the mental capacity to single handedly root out who works for the mob, what their plans are, and how he can best hurt them."

"But Princess," Applejack interrupted (much to the displeasure of Rarity), "it sounds an awful lot like he's doin' the right thing."

Luna smiled almost imperceptibly at that, and Celestia shot her sister an annoyed look. "Indeed, his motives are, as far as I can tell, noble. But this brings us to where you six come in." At these words, six guards entered the room, each carrying an Element of Harmony on a red velvet pillow, where they were presented to their respective Bearers.

"The Nightwing, from what we have gathered, will likely see you six as allies in. As such, he will not harm you, giving us some slight advantage. While he is extraordinarily dangerous, and disturbingly well armed, he still appears to have a set of rules. For now.

"Nightwing, I fear, will be consumed by the same evil that created him the first place. We do not know who he really is under the mask, and I cannot imagine what terrible wrong was done to him to set him down this path, but I believe we can... heal him... with the Elements of Harmony, much like we did with Nightmare Moon."

Twilight was confused. "But... if the Royal Guard hasn't managed to track him down, how are we supposed to find him?"

Celestia smiled. "I would never put you six into harm's way by asking you to actively seek out someone like this. However, I want you all to keep the Elements of Harmony on hand in case you ever do end up encountering him. And if we capture him, then I shall simply summon you to the court to finish it."

The girls were silent as they retrieved their Elements and reflected on what Princess Celestia was asking of them. "Ah'm sorry, Princess," Applejack started again, her voice filled with concern, "but why are we tryna take him down, again? Ain't it a good thing that someone's standin' up to the mob?"

"Yes, Applejack it is." The pastel haired princess answered. "However, the manner in which he's going about it is... questionable, at best. Every time he beats some thug into submission, he fuels the fire burning in his heart. Eventually, it will overtake him, and I will not have a corrupted super-villain causing harm to my subjects. Not now. Not ever."

Again, silence overtook the throne room, broken only by the impatient fidgeting of Pinkie Pie. "Well, if we're done here, can we head back to Ponyville? That guy's gonna think I forgot to welcome him to town!"

"Oh?" Celestia inquired, whilst Luna's head snapped to the pink haired woman bouncing up and down nervously. "Did Ponyville gain a new resident?"

"Actually," Twilight Sparkle responded before Pinkie could blurt out something rude, "It's Richard. As in, Richard Grayson. He's moved into Ponyville."


The sun was beginning to set over Ponyville, and twilight had descended upon the town. Soon, Nightwing would need to sneak aboard a night train to Canterlot to pick up the goods Luna had set aside for him. For now, however, he was just enjoying spending time with Spike.

The two of them were playing basketball in Twilight's back yard, and Dick was wondering why he was connecting so well with this child. "Hah!" The older boy shouted as he faked out his opponent, and swerved to the left to sink another basket.

The basket in question was literally a basket with a hole cut out of the bottom. Twilight Sparkle would, of course, have never even thought about participating in any kind of sport, so it came as no surprise when the two boys had to improvise.

"So, Spike," Dick said, as the pair took a short breather for Spike's sake. It's not like he was unfit; indeed, his dragon blood ensured that he had incredible strength and stamina. But Richard was in crazy good shape, Spike knew that his new friend would be able to run circles around him for days. "What are Twilight's friends like?"

"Well," The green haired boy responded, sucking greedily at a bottle of water, "there's Applejack, and she's really nice. Kinda strict sometimes, though. Rainbow Dash is pretty cool, too, she's in good shape as well." Spike blushed. "N-not that I was looking or anything, it's just-"

Richard held up a hand, cutting him off. "It's cool, Spike. Checking out pretty girls is all part of growing up."

"Ya, I know," he responded with a chuckle, "you should see Rarity. She's the most beautiful woman on the face of the planet."

Dick grinned at the dreamy expression on Spike's face. It reminded him of his old crush on Celestia. "You got a little bit of a crush, big guy?"

Looking around suspiciously, Spike squinted, before motioning for Richard to lean in a little closer. "Well... I might be in love with her a little bit."

A raised eyebrow betrayed the incognito superhero's doubt. "I'm serious!" Spike said indignantly, "She's super nice, and she's also incredibly generous (being the Element of Generosity, after all), and she has the most beautiful laugh in the world, and... and..." Spike's voice trailed off as his eyes began to sparkle.

"And whenever she's around everything's just... different, you know? No matter what's going on, no matter how bad my day is going, she makes me feel... euphoric."

"That's... pretty poetic for someone your age, Spike." Richard paused. "You really like her, huh?"

"More than anything in the world." But the boy just sighed dejectedly. "But I'm too young for her... she'd never wanna be with a kid. And besides, I've seen some of the guys who're after her, and believe me, I don't have a snowball's chance in Tartarus."

"Hey, buck up kid. Just... give it some time. If you really like her, I'm sure you'll find a way. Now, what say we go one more game, double or nothing?"

Spike immediately leapt to his feet, a grin adorning his face. "Well we weren't betting anything, but I'm guessing I can find a way for you to pay me back after I kick your butt!"

"Not likely, squirt," Dick said with a laugh. "Maybe..." he thought, "we're more similar than I thought..."


It was late. Very late. Probably close to three AM. The Princess had insisted that girls spend the night in Canterlot, and so they had all been set up with rooms in the northern tower, close to Luna's apartments.

Twilight Sparkle stood on the balcony of her room, looking out at the lights of the city.

"Richard Grayson..." She thought to herself, absentmindedly fiddling with her hair. "He's gone for ten years, then I see him twice in two months. Nightwing just so happens to make his debut during this time period. Coincidence?"

She sighed, and pushed some purple hair out of her eyes. She really needed a haircut. Her bangs were almost three centimeters over their acceptable limits. "Nightwing and Richard Grayson..." She mumbled to herself. It would make sense... But something inside of her rejected the idea. Richard was her friend. Or at least, he was. Before he disappeared.

She snorted angrily. Just typical! Her childhood friend returning from the middle of nowhere, and he was a borderline psychopath.

"No. I don't know that. I'm just... Putting evidence where none exists."

A knock on her door snapped her out of her reverie. "Come in!" She called.

Princess Celestia entered the bedroom, dressed once again in her banana print pajama's. Sometimes, Twilight was concerned for her teacher's sanity. Her love of the yellow fruit was... extreme. Almost as extreme as her love of chocolate.

"Oh, hello Princess! What brings you here at this hour?"

Her mentor smiled at her, and joined her on the balcony. "Oh, I couldn't sleep. I figured I would go for a walk, and I heard you talking to yourself."

Twilight blushed deeply, her pale cheeks taking on a cherry red colour. "Oh, uh... heh heh... you heard that?"

"Indeed I did. I take it that you suspect your old partner is now Nightwing?"

"Well..." Twilight began, "It would make sense... I mean, I saw him at the Summer Sun Celebration, and then suddenly there was Nightwing. AND" Twilight added, "Nightwing knew my name."

"Did he...?" Celestia murmured. "We'll have to investigate further before we go making any accusations, but for now, just... be wary. If Richard moved to Ponyville, and he is Nightwing, then your town may be in great danger. Please don't inform any of the other Element's about your suspicions; if one of them gives away the fact that we're investigating him, he might disappear. Again."

"Of course, Princess." The two continued standing on the balcony for a while, looking up at the moon. A silence so powerful that it was almost unnerving descended on their tower. In fact, it was so silent that the pair heard the slight chink of a grappling hook impacting stone.

"Princess, did you...? Oh, there, look!"

A figure was darting up the side of Luna's tower, clearly visible from their vantage point. "Twilight," Celestia said slowly, "Go rouse the other Bearers. Hurry to Luna's tower. Bring the Elements."

"Right away!" She squealed, adrenaline coursing through her. Nightwing. She had seen him for the second time in her life. Where did he get that grapnel gun of his? Twilight decided that for now, it didn't matter.

It was time to see if the masked crusader could be stopped.


The capsule containing the chemical he had requested was on Luna's balcony, just as she said it would be. He had, of course, called ahead using their communicators to make sure, but it was still a relief to see that she had followed through. Of course, she had told him that tonight she had court to watch over, so she would not be there to hand it to him in person, but that didn't bother Richard at all.

He worked better alone anyways.

The vacuum sealed thermos was the height of Equestrian-Tech. Naturally, Richard had surpassed it's scientific threshold when he was just fourteen. Still, it was nice not to have to build everything himself.

Swoosh, swoosh...

The faint sound of wings beating against the night air made Richard's neck hairs stand on end. It couldn't be Luna... so it seemed Nightwing would be entertaining company. Even so, as long as Celestia herself didn't show up...

Richard crouched low, hiding himself behind the balcony railing, and peeked through the slats of the stone columns at the source of the noise.

Of course, Celestia herself had shown up.

There would be no point in hiding from her. The monarch of the sun would find him in an instant. No, he would just have to distract her long enough to find a way out.

"Good evening, Nightwing." The Princess called out to him as she hovered just above the large terrace.

"Good evening, Celestia. Nice night for a fly?" He called back, slowly backing into Luna's bedroom. Once he was inside a confined space, he would have the advantage.

"Yes, though I suspect you already knew that, what with you shooting up here in the middle of the night. It does beg the question, why are you on my sister's balcony?"

The superhero shrugged, and tapped the 'detective vision' on his mask. Her heartbeat was registering at normal levels, so she obviously wasn't too nervous about their encounter, and thermal scans showed her horn was at room temperature, so the Princess wasn't charging any spells.

"What, a man can't break into a Princess's room, steal some sensitive documents, and then leave in peace anymore?" Almost inside... Just a little further...

Celestia laughed, and dropped gracefully onto the balcony. "You know, I fully expected you to be some kind of brute, Richard, but I never suspected you to have retained your sense of humour."

"Richard!? She knows!? But... No... She's bluffing. She's a master of reading facial expressions, she's just trying to get a reaction. Unfortunately for her, they don't call me a superhero for nothing. 'Fraid it won't be that easy."

"Richard? I'm afraid you're going to have to guess again, Celestia."

Celestia laughed again, a beautiful tinkling sound that made Richard Grayson's heart flutter. Nightwing, however, couldn't care less. "Oh, you are better than I thought! Not a single facial movement, your voice remained even, and you're posture didn't even change! It's like you know me!" She laughed again, and Dick couldn't help but flash her a grin.

"Well, maybe when I save your kingdom for you, I could really get to know you. I don't suppose someone of your position gets out much, hmm?" C'mon, just keep her amused, don't let get any spells off until we're inside...

"Are you asking me on a date, Nightwing? Because I'm afraid I don't fraternize with criminals." She stated, still smiling broadly.

"Clearly, since there are so many of them running loose on the streets instead of locked up, where they should be."

"You sound bitter, young one. Very bitter. I shall give you a chance right here, and now. Surrender. Unmask yourself, and I'll help you conquer this darkness inside of you. You can be normal again." Celestia's voice had taken a soft tone, one that Richard remembered from those first few nights that she held him as he cried.

"Sorry, Princess. But Equestria needs a hero. I will save this kingdom, and I won't let anyone stop me." At this, he flung himself backwards into the bedroom, throwing down a smoke bomb.

A great flap of the Celestia's wings cleared the smoke in moments, but that was all the time Nightwing needed. Whipping a razor-wing at her ivory horn, he dashed forwards and drew the escrima sticks out of their sheaths on his back. He flipped a switch, activated the electrical nodes at the end of his weapons, and leapt into the air, intending to incapacitate his old teacher with a great burst of electricity.

Of course, Nightwing had underestimated his teacher.

Celestia merely raised her hand, and engulfed Nightwing, the razor-wing, and the escrima sticks in a powerful telekinetic aura. One so powerful, in fact, that Richard Grayson felt the life being crushed out of him in mid-air.

"I am sorry, Nightwing, but I cannot allow you to leave this room. The Elements of Harmony will be here soon, and the evil in your heart will be banished. Really, you should be thanking me." Celestia said, though with deep regret in her voice.

"Cel... estia..." He gasped, fighting against the golden glow with all of his might.

"Please, don't try and fight it. If I have to restrict your air flow until you fall unconscious, I will."

Richard had always known. A day in which there was a unicorn (or Alicorn) powerful enough to subdue him with magic would come. And so, he had built a fail safe. But he needed to break his arm free of the Princess's magical grasp to activate it before the Elements go here. That kind of collateral damage would be... unfortunate.

"Princess we're- Oh, oh my..."

While Richard couldn't turn to look at the door behind him, he identified the voice of Twilight Sparkle. So, they were going to erase him like they erased Nightmare Moon.

Nightwing grit his teeth and grunted in exertion.

Not while his heart still beat.

Screaming with effort, Nightwing pushed against Celestia's telekinesis, reaching for the sonic harmonizer in his utility belt.

"Girls!" Celestia said, her voice filled with effort. "He's... stronger than I thought! You have to do it now!"

Almost there, almost there, almost there... His hand was mere inches from the button on his belt, and his whole body was shaking from the strain. He wouldn't give up. He couldn't give up.

"P-princess!" A higher pitched voice squeaked out. Sound wave analyses units built into the mask detected the feminine squeal belonged to Fluttershy. "Are you alright!?"

"Quickly!" Celestia yelled, disturbed by how valiantly the shadow she was trying to vanquish was fighting back.

"Right!" Twilight called, "Get into position!"

The girls all gathered in a circle around the suspended figure, trembling in fear as they felt the waves of pure power radiate off of the Princess. If he could withstand her magic...

"Comeonecomeonecomeon!"

The girls lifted into the air, and the Elements began to glow.

"AL...MOST..."

Light began gathering amongst the six, spinning around Nightwing faster and faster...

"NOW!"

With one final effort, Richard Grayson slammed the harmonizer, causing ultra-high frequency sound waves to resonate around the room, unseen by it's current inhabitants. It did have a rather dramatic effect on three of them, however.

Celestia, Rarity, and Twilight all dropped to ground, screaming in pain as the sonic vibrations interfered with their horn's signals to their brains, blinding them with crippling pain. It was regrettable that Nightwing had to inflict this kind of punishment on his friend, but they left him with no choice.

Dick dropped to the ground, as did the Elements of Harmony. With the link between the six broken, they could not harness the power of the Elements to destroy him.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM!" Applejack screamed as she ran over to Twilight's side. The purple haired girl was lying on the floor and convulsing, the pain sending her to the brink of unconsciousness.

Nightwing leapt to his feet, performed a quick flip, and snatched up his fallen escrima sticks. "When I press this button," he began in an even voice, it's raw baritone cutting through the screams of agony, "they won't be tortured any longer. But before I do, I want you all against that wall. Now."

The girls looked at him with hatred in their eyes before they were forced to abandon their friends sides. He nodded, and hit the switch, releasing the three women from their torment. "I just want you all to know... I'm sorry." Richard ran from the room and jumped off of the balcony, drawing his grapnel gun.

Things just got a little more complicated.