• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 511 Views, 7 Comments

Daughter Of The Stars - Quill037



Learn the history of the treachery of Princess Luna and her effect on Equestria through the story of a prophesied child.

  • ...
 7
 511

Biography

Chapter 3:
Biography

“Umm…hello?” The building was empty. Sirius’s voice echoed through the halls; devoid of evidence that anypony was home.

Both he and Gemini stood there for a while, staring into the abyss until Gemini broke the silence, “Let’s go!” With that both of them were off, darting into the first set of corridors around the central structure.

Most of the doors they ran into along the way were locked. Time after time, they would approach one expecting to enter, but their hopes would be dashed. Eventually they found one that wasn’t barred. Inside the room, a small window cast rays of sunlight where Sirius and Gemini stood. What surprised them were the contents of the room; just books. Gemini stomped around the shelves, looking for something of interest. Sirius was having a different experience. He quite liked books and wondered why they were here in the artifact wing.

“It’s nothing but books!” shouted Gemini, who was now climbing the side of a bookshelf. “Where are the ancient weapons, or um…the crowns, or the treasure?” She definitely wasn’t what Sirius had expected. Her pink coat and soft yellow mane were deceptive to her personality. Sirius liked it though; she was unlike any other pony he’d ever met.

“I’m guessing that’s what the other locked doors were for,” Sirius said, flipping through an old Equestrian history book.

“Well then let’s go already! Maybe they’ve got something interesting.” Gemini rushed out pulling Sirius with her, leaving the book he was reading to rest on the floor. Sirius followed her back down the corridor, snickering to himself. If Gemini was expecting to take home some Equestrian war treasure or the old royal crown jewels, she’s going to be in for a big surprise.

_____________________________________

Work was tough that day. He was usually assigned a night guard duty, but Stone was a little dismayed when he learned he’d be investigating a crime scene. Along with another twelve guards, he was waiting to start the investigation outside the Equestrian archives. There had been a robbery and they turned away anypony they saw trying to get in so they could begin the investigation. It wasn’t anything big, just a few small items of questionable importance, but Equestrian justice needed to be dealt, unfortunately for this group of night guards.

The investigation initial investigation proceeded normally; gathering evidence and listing suspects. The thing that troubled Stone most though was that so far, no suspects or evidence could be gathered.

“Whoever committed this crime sure knew what he was doing,” one of the guards said. “There’s no trail or anything.”

“I know. I just don’t understand the reason they needed to dispatch a group of night guards! We’re going to have to go back to work again tonight!”

Stone overheard the conversation. His serious nature saw no problem with the dispatch and the lack of morale within the group saddened him.

“I don’t think you all understand the Princesses’ position on these kinds of situations,” he said. “We’ve been through a lot in the past few years. I think the easiest thing for us to do right now would be to split up, search the archives, and just get the job done. I’ll take the history and artifact wings.”

All the guards agreed on this proposition and they split from the group. Some went toward the Starswirl the Bearded wing, others to the Royalty wing, but Stone quietly meandered his way towards his favorite. His father had died during the old Equestrian wars before Discord’s little coup d’état and his mother took him to the archives many times. Being her only child, the widow protected him through his adversity in joining the order of the royal guards and was always by his side.

However, only two years ago, she passed away. Stone had been devastated resorting to long nights of loneliness, speaking to no one and trusting less. His slow walk to the grand building rebuilt his memories within his mind. He remembered the statues, the books, and he remembered his mother’s stories about his father.

Only if…only if. Over the years, Stone continued his life, but pushed himself harder trying to take on the honor and courage that his father had. Now he can only wait patiently for his time to come. “Alright Stone pull yourself together,” he said to himself as a tear came to his eye. He had a job to do. His hoof pushed the archive door open and the sullen, grey Pegasus entered the dark domain, only hoping for a chance to redeem himself.

_____________________________________

“Ohh! This looks interesting!” Gemini was standing in front of a large golden case. Pressing her hooves against the glass, she peered inside. “It’s a suit of armor! Sirius, do you think it could have been used in battle? On the back of some brave stallion, leading the charge, sacrificing his life for Equestria?”

“Don’t know, maybe.” Sirius was too busy looking around the room for other things. They were in a basement that looked promising. Sirius still couldn’t figure out why nopony was around. Usually, silly looking tourists from all over Equestria would wander through the halls, ooh-ing and ahh-ing at everything.

Sirius’s curiosity had landed upon another shelf with scrolls. One by one, he opened them. Most were just notes or records about historical events, nothing out of the ordinary. That is until the stack was gone and a little blue book sat alone. Expecting another textbook about the history of wheels or a collection of poems, Sirius sighed while he opened the book’s dusty cover.

He was thoroughly surprised with the contents. With the signature calligraphy of a unicorn writing using magic, he read the title on the first page:

“My Search”

Who’s search? Sirius was intrigued and he sat in the dim basement, patiently reading the book. A few more pages in, the story became clear; the unicorn who penned it was named Cirrus. And he was obsessed with some old Equestrian prophesy. Apparently a child was supposed to be born that would protect Equestria from some danger, from some darkness.

Sirius had never heard of any legend like this one before. Sirius found it wasn’t a book, but a journal and the next few entries were much more recent. It mentioned the Crystal Empire’s disappearance and the princesses and the defeat of King Sombra but after that, nothing.

“Could he have given up on his search?” Sirius asked himself. As he did this, he began franticly turning pages, searching for something. Not too far away from the last entry, something caught Sirius’s eye. This entry looked rushed, as if he had just opened the book up to a page and began writing as quickly as he could;

“I have been delighted with the fact that after many years, the sign of the child has appeared. Not only that, but over the very castle that Celestia had sent me to. It couldn’t have happened more perfectly. The child was born and I have seen with my eyes that he is truly something special. I’ve already sent a letter to the princesses but before I leave this castle for Canterlot, I had to learn the name of this child. His parents chose to name him…”

Sirius turned the page, eager to end the mystery. He was close and was very excited but just then, a wall of armor, weapons and shelves came crashing down next to him. In surprise the book left his hooves and slid under a large shelf next to the wall. The dust from the crash had settled and Sirius saw Gemini standing there, a sheepish grin on her face. “It was an accident, honest!”

They scrambled to get out, knowing that somepony would hear them. They climbed the stairs to get out but stopped dead in their tracks as the door swing wide open.

“What are you two doing in here?!”