• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 512 Views, 7 Comments

Daughter Of The Stars - Quill037



Learn the history of the treachery of Princess Luna and her effect on Equestria through the story of a prophesied child.

  • ...
 7
 512

Prologue: Sirius

The winter air blew silently around the mountains as the moon continued its foray into the late night sky. Other than a few small towns dotted along the road, the land north of the city of Canterlot was relatively empty. Luckily snow had not fallen in the past few weeks and the roads were clear of obstructions. Still, however, the harsh cold whipped along the road as two figures made their way south in the darkness.

They were two ponies, unicorns to be exact. One was a large stallion with an icy blue coat and a dark blue mane. His flank displayed his cutie mark, a telescope, which was followed by a large wagon filled with an assortment of items. Walking beside him was his wife. She was a smaller pony with a light grey body and a purple mane. Her cutie mark, a book, was hidden by a protective cloak. Her walk was slow and abrupt in places. She seemed to be in pain as they had to wait many times, quickening their pace with each stop. With nopony around to help, they pressed forward only hoping they could find somewhere to rest.

Hours passed and the couple were beginning to become weak. The stallion's heavy wagon load and the mare's affliction burdened them heavily. The stone path was now winding around a small cliff next to a river and ahead of them, they spotted a light. A smile graced both of their faces as they neared the source of the light, what seemed to be a large castle tower. The sound of their wagon's wheels must have been loud though because before they could even reach the gate, a voice shouted into the night air.

"Halt! Who goes there?" A guard was on his way down from the tower from a staircase. The two travelers stopped dead in their tracks from the rough tone in the royal guard's voice.

The stallion stepped forward urgently, "Please you have to help us. My wife is about to give birth. We have no where else to go." He pleaded with the guard but his expression remained stoic.

"Considering the state of the kingdom at this time, I am under strict orders not to let any outsiders through our borders."

"No! Please help us! My name is Midnight Charmer. I'm with the Royal Astronomy Division in Canterlot! You have to help us please!" Midnight wasn't lying. He'd been the chief astronomer in Canterlot for twelve years now. Being a part of an official Royal science division had its perks. The job had given he and his wife a good place to live in the capital, but the job took up a large amount of his time.

The guard had just begun to leave when Midnight had spoken those words. He stopped and turned around to face the desperate family. "You said your name is Midnight Charmer?" he asked.

"Yes," Midnight replied, hoping that the guard will see the truth in his eyes. "I have my official documents here if you would like to see them. Whatever gets my wife to safety."

The guard had a surprised look on his face. He seemed to be paralyzed with thought when he shook it off and spoke abruptly, "There's no time for that. Bring your wife inside the tower. We have a medical station set up on the ground level."

Midnight let out a sigh of relief and led his wife into the castle, "Thank you."

_____________________________________

Hours passed. Midnight sat at his wife's side, taking her hoof in his own. Childbirth, as it seemed, was more than either of them imagined. "Everything's going to be okay Pearl. I'm right here," Midnight whispered into her ear. He kissed her on the cheek to comfort her. She continued to cry out in pain as the procedure progressed. The room had soon been filled with nurse ponies, all trying to help the family.

One of the nurses began to speak, "You're almost there. Keep pushing." Pearl could bear it no longer as she gave one last try. Her crying increased as the pain reached a climax. Midnight was terrified, hoping that everything would be okay.

Then, everything went quiet. A silence hung over the air with the only noise being the cold wind outside. The nurses around the room gave out a sigh as well as Pearl. Midnight had closed his eyes in the midst of the preceding chaos but had not begun to look around at everypony. Soon, however, the silence was broken. A smile came to Midnight's face when he heard what it was. It was the cry of a newborn foal. He turned to his wife who was crying, but smiling alongside him.

One nurse in particular after a short time, lifted up a tangled mass of blankets and towels. She made her way over to the couple and presented it to them. "Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Charmer. It looks like you've given birth to a healthy colt," she said with a smile. Pearl took the blankets into her forelegs and unfurled them. Inside was a small unicorn colt. His coat was dark blue. Very dark. One could have said it matched the night sky perfectly. His mane's white color contrasted his coat, adding brightness to his body. Midnight marveled at the sight of his firstborn child. He put his forelegs around his wife in an embrace and continued to watch as his son took his first breaths in his young life.

_____________________________________

Above the room, in one of the loftier parts of the castle, an older pony was busily shuffling around. The room was filled with books, charts, and equipment and the pony looked as though he hadn't gotten any sleep over the past few days. Periodically he would make his way to a window and look through a small telescope. Each visit solidified the serious look on his face as he continued to shuffle around the book-filled room.

A wooden door on the other side of the room opened and a young stallion made his way into the room. "Um...Cirrus sir? You wanted to see me?"

Cirrus turned around and a look of eager joy washed over his face. "Yes. Stone, my most trusted Royal guard. I just needed to make sure of something."

"What sir?"

"The family below us? Has the child arrived?"

"He has sir. If it's no trouble, I wanted to ask...why are you so interested?"

Cirrus was taken back by something. He was frozen where he stood. He finally spoke after a moment of silence. "Come over here Stone, I'd like to show you something." They trotted over to the window, the same one with the telescope. "Look through here. I think you'll be more than surprised at what we're seeing."

Stone positioned himself to see through the eyepiece and gasped almost instantly. What he saw was a group of four stars. These stars had begun to grow ever closer until they now formed what looked like a large eye. "What is that?" Stone asked, fixing his gaze on the anomaly.

Cirrus sighed heavily. "Have you ever read the star child prophesy?"

Stone was confused. "I have not sir. Why?" he asked.

"Not many have. It's a prophesy as old as maybe Equestria itself and has long since been forgotten by most ponies. No one knows how it came to be but it exists as a tapestry in one of the lower levels of Canterlot castle as a decorative piece." Cirrus walked over to a black book on his desk. He began to flip through the pages until he found what he had been searching for. He spoke,

"Take heed, take note of the danger to come,
For a child will be born under the eye of the sun

Through the child of the stars, the danger will pass
The dark times will end and love will last

Chaos, deception, and shadow, will fight,
But none will prevail under the child's might

Although you are safe and the child is here,
Endless night is inevitable, and the inevitable is near."

Stone brought his hoof to his face in quiet thought. He was confused. "So you're telling me that child down there is some kind of prophesy?"

"You're skepticism isn't needed. I have been looking for this sign for many years. I looked for it during the reign of Discord and even now during the Sombra crisis. I have no doubt that this prophesy has come true this time, and if so we need to act fast."

Stone stood up straight, "What do you need me to do sir?"

"We need to write a letter to Princess Celestia immediately."

_____________________________________

The family below was cradling their young colt. Midnight was sitting beside Pearl and was smiling at his son. He had now opened his beautiful, blue eyes and was looking directly at Midnight. In that moment, Midnight remembered something. He turned to Pearl, "Pearl, I almost forgot. What are we going to name him?"

Pearl paused and looked around in hard thought. She caught a glimpse outside through a small window in the wall. She saw a bright light in the sky that appeared to be a large star. She then turned to Midnight and kissed him softly. She then turned his attention toward their son and spoke,

"Sirius."