• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 4,550 Views, 121 Comments

My Little DJ: Scootaloo's Melody - iDash



Vinyl is gone. Forever. Will Scootaloo find her song? Or will she lose it for good?

  • ...
5
 121
 4,550

Chapter 1: When It Rains...

My Little DJ: Scootaloo's Melody

Chapter 1: When it Rains…
By iDash

I’d like to give a shout-out to JuyUnseen, ScriptScrolls, Pen Stroke, and Antisocial Ind. on Fimfiction for inspiring me to write these stories. And also to everyone who read it and left the awesome comments that encouraged me to keep writing.

A/N: When you see ~ _ * _ * _ ~ it means that the story is going into or out of a flashback or dream.






“A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.”

-Agatha Christie




The sky… no, the entire atmosphere, everything, was gray. Celestia’s sun was unable, despite its valiant attempts, to break through the turbulent line of storm clouds. The soft pitter-patter of rain resounded through the empty streets of Ponyville. Nopony was seen outside of their warm, cozy homes at that time.

Well, except for two ponies, that is.

Rainbow Dash, her technicolor mane drooping ever so slightly from the rain, held an umbrella with one hoof as she gazed at the mare in front of her.

The mare in question remained in the rain, for she did not care for such things at the moment. Her orange coat was sleek and glistening from the showering water, her mane completely drenched and slumping down as it covered the right side of her face. She sat on the wet grass, her tail collecting mud and dirt as it lay lifeless on the ground.

“Scootaloo…” Rainbow Dash croaked, but the mare paid no attention to her.

Scootaloo’s attention was directed to something else. She was oblivious to the world around her. She simply stared, unable to escape the horror of the object that stared back at her.

A grave.

Etched in the solid granite gravestone was a name that tortured Scootaloo as it echoed through her mind every time her eyes flitted across it.

Vinyl Scratch.

A pain shot through the orange mare’s heart as she read the name again. Vinyl Scratch. Her own mother, albeit her adoptive mother, but they shared the same love nonetheless.

A quote was engraved underneath the name. It read:

“Carry on and let the music flow. Play the melody and let the beats drop, but never let it fade away. I’ll be where the music is.”

Scootaloo sniffled. Her face was stained with tears and her eyes were red and puffy. She no longer cried, however. It was as if she had no more tears to shed, as if she had cried all that she possibly could that day.

Now she was just hollow. She felt sadness, overwhelming sadness, but could do nothing about it. It was like a hole had been drilled through her heart. She just gazed at the grave, lost in her own depressed world.

So many things, so many thoughts, had raced through her mind in the days prior as she tried to comprehend everything that was happening, but only one remained prevalent.

‘She’s gone. She’s gone, and you can’t do anything about it.’

And that was it, the blatant, horrid truth. Vinyl was gone and she would never be back. Scootaloo had lost the most important thing in her life, more important than even the royal sisters were to all of Equestria. She had lost the pony whom she cared about more than anything in the world, the one she loved and called ‘mom’.

Scootaloo’s head drooped even more in the falling rain. She remembered the funeral that had taken place just a few hours ago. It had been a private funeral, though many of Vinyl’s fans had come to give condolences and grieve for their fallen DJ. Several of Vinyl’s friends had attended. Scootaloo had recognized some of them, like Berry Punch or Octavia, while others were friends from back in Manehattan or Canterlot that she had never met.

A few of Scootaloo’s own friends had been there as well. Apple Bloom had come and tried to comfort the orange pegasus. Sweetie Belle would have been there, too, but she was in Las Pegasus at an event with Rarity at the time. Rainbow Dash was there, though, as well as Pinkie Pie, for whom Vinyl had DJ’d many parties. Pinkie’s mane and tail had fallen straight, which only ever happened when the mare was going through a bout of depression, which almost never occured. But today, the party mare sat and cried for her lost friend as others tried to comfort her.

Other than Scootaloo herself, the pony that seemed most devastated by the recent events was Octavia, Vinyl’s best friend. She was outright sobbing, making no attempt to mask her depression. The gray earth pony had given up one of her performances in Canterlot to be there. She was to play for various nobles and even the princesses themselves, but she had turned it down and come back to Ponyville as fast as she could to attend the funeral.

Octavia had come to Scootaloo during the sullen ceremony. The two mares embraced and hugged each other tightly, crying into each other’s shoulders. They had understood each other’s pain, how much Vinyl had meant to each of them.


Scootaloo was now the only one that remained, except for Rainbow Dash, who had stayed for her sake. The orange mare stayed until well after they had buried the coffin and even after it had started raining.

“Scootaloo…” Rainbow said once more. She too had been crying that day. Over the years she and Vinyl had grown close as friends and it hurt to lose her just like it did everypony else.

“Scootaloo, I… I think it’s time to go.”

Scootaloo remained still.

Rainbow sighed. “Come on. You’re getting drenched out here.” The cyan pegasus walked and made her way to the other mare and held out the umbrella to shield both of them from the rain.

The orange pegasus just slowly shook her head. She didn’t ever want to move from that spot.

“Scootaloo, please. You can’t stay out here; you’ll get sick or something. I think… I think the best thing is to just go home right now.”

“No, Dash,” Scootaloo said. Her voice cracked since she hadn’t spoken in some time. “I… She was all I had and now she’s gone. She was my home. I have nowhere to go.”

“Look, you can’t stay out here. You need to leave and go inside.” Rainbow lacked certainty in those words. The last thing on her mind was getting inside, but that’s what was best for Scootaloo. The orange mare really would’ve stayed outside if nopony convinced her otherwise.

Scootaloo gritted her teeth. “I don’t care.”

Rainbow sighed again, “It’s not good for you to stay out here.” She wasn’t just referring to the rain.

“I don’t care, Rainbow!” Scootaloo shot the cyan mare a pained look as Rainbow wore her own hurt expression.

“Just go away! I am home.”

Rainbow said nothing and just looked at the ground. Scootaloo turned away once more, suddenly regretting how she had snapped.

Rainbow silently made her way over to the sullen mare and held the umbrella over the both of them.

“I-I’m sorry,” Scootaloo croaked.

Rainbow once again said nothing and they remained in silence. A few moments passed until the older pegasus said something in a low, quiet voice.

“You know, I miss her, too.”

Scootaloo didn’t take her eyes off of the object of her attention as she slowly nodded.

“I-I…-” Rainbow struggled for words. A single tear made its way down her muzzle. “I can’t imagine what it’s like for you. She meant so much more to you. But… I just want you to be okay, Scootaloo. I…” She couldn’t find the words to express what she felt. She wanted Scootaloo to be strong and not give up as if the world had ended. Though, for as much as Rainbow knew, Scootaloo’s world did end.

The cyan mare gazed at the pony in front of her until her ears perked up as she heard the sound of approaching hooves, several of them. Scootaloo either didn’t notice or didn’t care and gave no reaction.

Rainbow turned around and was astonished when she saw the pony that she had least expected to see. Princess Luna stood with regal posture just 15 feet away from the pegasi, her ethereal mane billowing in a nonexistent breeze. A magical shield of hazy blue aura hovered over her to protect her from the rain. Two stolid guard ponies stood a little bit behind her, their saddles attached with umbrellas.

Princess Luna strode forward, her attention focused not on the two mares but on the object in front of them. Rainbow’s gaze followed the regal mare as she pondered why in Equestria she was there of all places.

The princess stood from behind Scootaloo, gazing at the granite gravestone. She stayed there in complete silence as the sound of rain masked her soft breathing. A few moments passed before she first spoke.

“She… she was a wonderful musician… and a wonderful pony and friend as well.” Luna didn’t take her eyes off of the small monument of a second.

The orange mare in front of her tilted her head in the princess’ direction, a slightly surprised look on her puffy red eyes.

“You- you knew her?” she questioned.

Luna put on a small smile as she replied. “Yes, being the princess of the night, I have a very good idea of what goes on with the nightlife in the cities below the castle. I particularly enjoyed Vinyl’s music. She even played for me personally a few times. After a time, we began to become close friends, and…” The alicorn's voice faded away as she spoke.

Scootaloo briefly remembered the different times when Vinyl had gone off to Canterlot for concerts or other events. She never knew that she had played personally for the princess of the night, though.

Luna lowered her head. “She was such a good friend.” Her gaze seemed to no longer be focused on the carved stone, but lost and staring into space.

“I… I know what it feels like to lose a mother as well, my little pony.”

At this, Scootaloo looked up again in surprise.

“Y-you do? I-I didn’t know that…” She drifted off.

The alicorn simply gave a light chuckle as she looked towards Scootaloo.

“Yes, I once had a mother as well, and a father.” The small smile faded and her face once again became sullen. “When Tia and I were still very young, just beginning to grasp our magical prowess, our mother and father, their… their time came. Many believe that alicorns are immortal, but that is only partially true. We do not die, but we do fade away. After a very long period of time, our very existence begins to deteriorate until we are no more. My father, Helios, and my mother, Artemis, stood before us one day. They told me and my sister that they had to leave, that it was up to us to maintain the peace in Equestria, to continue to raise the sun and moon.”

The princess gently clutched at her chest with a hoof as traces of tears formed in her eyes. “It was so much to handle as a filly. Tia and I begged them not to leave, crying as we did. Mother and Father shed their own tears as they told us that we had to be strong, that they loved us so much.”

Luna bit her lip slightly as a tear slid down each cheek from her sea green eyes.

“I still remember the warmth of my mother as she nuzzled me and said goodbye one last time. And then, they were gone, like dust in the wind. They just faded into the sunset. Tia and I felt so alone. We always had each other, but we missed them so much, and we still do.”

As Luna’s story ended, Scootaloo still gazed with a look of slight disbelief.

“Princess… I… I’m sorry.” That was all she could say.

The princess gave her a weak smile.

“You shouldn’t be, my little pony, for you have gone through the same pain as I.”

Scootaloo just nodded as she looked down and lowered her head.

There were a few moments of silence. Rainbow Dash was standing next them, listening to every word as she held the umbrella over herself and the orange mare. She was just as surprised as Scootaloo by the revelation of the story.

Princess Luna broke the silence with a question to Scootaloo.

“Do you know how I remained strong after they left us? How I was still able to carry on like they told us?”

The mare didn’t move, but still spoke with her raspy voice. “How? How did you make it through even though you lost both your parents?” She asked, almost desperately.

Luna wore a thoughtful, yet content expression.

“Because I knew that they loved me. They loved me and my sister more than anything in the world. That is how I remained strong. They loved me and I loved them and nothing could ever take that away.”

She raised a hoof and gently rested it on Scootaloo’s shoulder. “And you know that Vinyl loved you, Scootaloo, even more than the music she created. And nothing can take that away.”

Scootaloo just nodded. What the princess was saying was true, but it didn’t seem to take any of the pain away. Her mom was still gone, and she was never coming back. Another jolt of pain shot through her heart once more.

“Now, my little pony,” Luna spoke again. “I think it is time for you to go home.”

Luna began to walk away towards the gate of the cemetery. Before she was too far away, however, she turned around to face Scootaloo with her caring smile.

“Be with your friends, Scootaloo. They will help you more than you know. You don’t have to face this alone.”

And with that, the lunar diarch took off into the skies with her guards.

Scootaloo waited until the sounds of wing beats faded away to stand up.

She kept her head down and slowly turned around with one last look at the granite gravestone. The mare passed the cyan pegasus beside her as she began to walk away.

“…Let’s go now, Rainbow Dash.”


The rain hadn’t yet given up its assault. Heavy drops of rain were still falling as the wind buffeted anything that remained outside in the unpleasant climate. It was very chilly as well.

None of this mattered to the two pegasi that flew through the gray sky. Trained as they were, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash easily navigated themselves despite the slightly torrential winds. Raindrops fell and continued to soak through their fur and chilled them to the bone, but they continued in spite of the cold and harsh climate.

The two pegasi were heading in the direction of the cyan mare’s cloud home. Rainbow had offered to her younger counterpart to stay the night at her home. Scootaloo gladly accepted, wanting anything but to return to her own house, cold and alone.

They swayed in the air to avoid the scattered drafts that would hinder their flight.

Rainbow turned her head to see the mare behind her. Needless to say, she was worried about her. The orange mare hardly seemed focused on her flying at all, seemingly gazing off into space as her body mechanically kept her afloat in the sky.

CRACK!

The rolling thunder resounded among the clouds, shocking Scootaloo out of her daze as her heart jumped just a little in her chest.

She gave a sad chuckle at her silly reaction to the booming force of nature. To think that after all these years, thunder still made her jump like that.

She thought to herself, ‘Some things just don’t change, do they?...’

~ _ * _ * _ ~

Scootaloo sat calmly on the plush couch inside Vinyl’s home, lazily watching as drops of rain from the gray clouds outside impacted the window. Her mind wandered off as she did so, not thinking about anything in particular.

It had been about a month now since Vinyl had taken her in and given her a place to stay. Scootaloo was ever so grateful for it, too. The unicorn mare was pretty fun to be around, always joking around and cheering everypony up, yet still showing her more caring and responsible side at times, like whenever she would be there for Scootaloo.

The mare in question sat on the other side of the couch, listening to her beats through her headset as she closed her eyes and rocked her head to the rhythm. She shifted on her seat and stood up before trotting to the kitchen. The refrigerator opened up with a hazy blue aura around the handle as she rummaged through it until she pulled out a pudding cup with a content smile.

Scootaloo just remained still and continued to gaze out the window until…

CRACK!

A wave of thunder caused Scootaloo to jump a good five feet in the air as the blast shook her to the bones. She let out a squeal as she dove under the couch, shivering for a reason obviously other than cold.

Vinyl glanced over as a spoon was being levitated over to her mouth. She giggled as she saw the filly vanish under the couch, her purple tail poking out just a little. The DJ trotted to the couch where the little pegasus now hid.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” she said while suppressing another giggle. “I didn’t know this little filly was scared of thunder.”

At this, Scootaloo shot like a rocket out from under the couch and stood in front of Vinyl, a look of defiance on her face.

“What?! No Way! I’m too cool to be scared of stupid thunder.” Her wings buzzed in frustration, causing her to hover a little, her cheeks blushed a light shade of red.

CRACK!

“Eeeiip!” Scootaloo squealed. Her eyes went wide with terror and her wings simultaneously stiffened up, causing her to fall right on her flank, eliciting yet another ‘eep!’.

Vinyl busted up laughing at the sight before her.

“Hey! It’s not funny!” Scootaloo exclaimed. She stomped her hoof on the ground for emphasis. This only made Vinyl laugh harder.

The filly crossed her forelegs and sat back up on the couch, pouting with flustered red cheeks as her wings buzzed with greater agitation.

Vinyl eventually calmed down and she sat on the couch next to Scootaloo, wiping a joyous tear from her eye.

“Aw, c’mon. Don’t be like that,” she said with a chuckle as she nudged the filly on the shoulder. “It was pretty funny.”

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever,” she grumbled.

Vinyl chuckled when she heard another low rumble of thunder in the distance. Apparently Scootaloo had heard it, too, as her wings were clamped tightly to her sides and began trembling. A look of sympathy graced Vinyl’s face while she looked at the filly. She began to ponder a way to help her ease up, and then it came to her.

She clapped her front hooves together before jumping off the couch and turning to face Scootaloo.

“Hey, kid, don’t sweat it everypony’s scared of something.” Scootaloo didn’t respond and continued to pout.

Vinyl smirked. “Hey, you wanna know what’ll help?”

Scootaloo looked at her with slight curiosity. “Oh yeah? What?”

Grinning, Vinyl lifted a hoof and pointed to the headphones that were slung around her neck and still playing her music.

“When it comes, just think of it as a huge bass drop.”

The filly cocked her head and lifted an eyebrow, wearing a look of slight bemusement. “Are you serious?”

“Totally! C’mon, just watch.”

Vinyl made her way to the window and opened it with her magic, still keeping the screen closed so as not to let the water in. Scootaloo got off of the couch and followed her, curious about what she was going to do.

“Ready?” Scootaloo nodded.

When she looked out the window, she saw the brilliant flash of lightning and cringed a bit in anticipation. Vinyl tapped her on the head to get her attention.

She had a hoof up in the air shaking as she counted and silently mouthed the numbers.

‘5…’

‘4…’

‘3…’

‘2…’

‘1…’

CRACK!

The familiar boom came and Vinyl threw her hooves up in the air to exaggerate. Scootaloo only jumped a little this time.

Vinyl chuckled, “See? Just like a bass drop.”

Her face suddenly brightened up as if she had come up with an idea.

“Ooohh! I know!” She motioned for Scootaloo to look outside once more and the filly obliged. “Listen to the rain. It’s like a song and you just gotta listen for its beats!”

Scootaloo looked at her like she was crazy, which she probably was. She did as she was instructed, however, just to humor the crazy mare. She closed her eyes and listened to the gentle pitter-patter of the rain. Soft thoughts of kick-snares floated into her mind as she tried to imagine the beat that the rain was making. And then she heard it.

It was at the edge of her mind at first, but it made its way to the front as her ears twitched in response to the sounds.

Her active mind began to decipher a pattern in the sound of the rain. The pattern became more and more distinct until it was completely audible. Scootaloo heard the various beats; it was as if nature was making its own song!

The filly listened intently for a couple moments until a flash could be seen through her closed eyelids. She eagerly anticipated what was about to come. The beat of the rain seemed to speed up as Scootaloo could almost feel nature’s crescendo, and then…

BOOM!

The crash of thunder came in the form of nature’s drop. The sound resounded as Scootaloo opened her eyes with a wide grin.

“I heard it!” She exclaimed, turning to Vinyl, who held her own grin. “That was so awesome!” She jumped up and punched the air with a hoof. She landed back down on the ground and started giggling in her excitement.

Calming down, though still a bit excited, she looked to the unicorn mare in front of her. “Thanks a lot, Vinyl.”

Vinyl chuckled with a wide smile still on her face. “Heheh, yeah. Nothin’ to it, Scoot.”

~ _ * _ * _ ~

Scootaloo returned from the memory as her hooves rested on the soft cloud. She looked around at the large house. It was pretty big for a pony on weather patrol. Despite its size, it still had a cozy and at-home feeling. It had been quite a while since that last time she had been to Rainbow Dash’s house.

The older mare quickly unlocked the door and trotted past it to let Scootaloo inside. The orange mare stepped in and sighed with relief at the warmth of Rainbow’s insulated cloud home, despite her still soaking wet coat.

“Um… Hold on a sec. I’ll go get some towels,” Rainbow said, and she dashed off to the hallway and some other part of the house.

Scootaloo looked around during her absence. Seeing the inside of that house once more was nostalgic. She had dreamed of coming there as a filly and was beyond excited when she finally did.

Rainbow Dash quickly returned, balancing a towel on each wing.

“Here ya go,” she said as she tossed one of the towels to the orange mare.

“Thanks.” Scootaloo caught the towel and quickly dried herself off.

When they were both done, they simply stood in the middle of the dark living room. Neither mare spoke a word, nor did they need to. Though, it pained Rainbow to not be able to say anything, to not be able to ease the pain of a pony that meant so much to her.

Over time, after Scootaloo got her cutie mark, of course, she and Rainbow had grown ever closer. Rainbow had begun giving her flight lessons, started attending every single one of her concerts. Over time their bond grew stronger until they were about as close as sisters.

And so, that was it. Rainbow now stood there, watching as her little sister went through so much pain. She could do nothing now but simply be there for her, and she intended to at least do that.

“Hey, I- uh… I think I’m just gonna go to bed, Dash,” Scootaloo said as she broke the silence and returned Rainbow from her thoughts.

“Oh, um… yeah, okay,” she stumbled. She tried to think of something to say, but nothing came to mind.

‘Dang it, Rainbow. Come on!’ She thought, slightly frustrated.

“So… is it alright if I just take the guest bedroom?” Scootaloo asked.

“Uh- yeah, sure thing. Come on, it’s over here.” Rainbow knew that Scootaloo knew where the bedroom was already, but she trotted off down the hallway anyways. The orange mare quietly followed her until the mare stopped at the third door on her right.

Rainbow opened the door and walked in. Scootaloo followed and looked around the room as another wave of nostalgia hit her. She had stayed in that very room so many times as an excited little filly. The memories that came to her were warm and happy ones, but they did nothing to help her now.

The two stood side-by-side for a few moments, slightly unsure of what to do.

“Um… thanks, Dash,” Scootaloo said in a quiet voice.

She turned to Rainbow Dash to see the cyan mare look at her with concern and worry plastered on her face. Scootaloo couldn’t look her in the eyes and instead averted her gaze to the ground.

“Dash, I-” She was cut off, however, when she was suddenly pulled into an embrace by the other mare. Rainbow wrapped her hooves around her younger counterpart’s neck and held her close.

Scootaloo was shocked. Hesitant at first, she slowly edged her hooves around the mare and returned the warm hug.

The two held each other as Rainbow nuzzled Scootaloo’s mane. As they stood there in each other’s hooves, Scootaloo thought. How many times had Rainbow Dash been there for her? How many times had she been able to rely on the rainbow maned pegasus? How often had she shown that she genuinely cared for Scootaloo?

The orange pegasus recalled what Princess Luna had said to her earlier that day.

‘Be with your friends, Scootaloo. They will help you more than you know. You don’t have to face this alone.’

Maybe what Luna had said was true, but then why did she still feel so alone?

“Thanks, Rainbow,” Scootaloo croaked through tears she was trying to hold back, but to no avail. The sorrowful droplets fell from her eyes and onto Rainbow’s fur. Rainbow didn’t fare much better in her struggle against her tears and Scootaloo could feel them dripping onto her own coat, but she didn’t care. The two stood there and cried together for a few long moments, neither wanting to let go.

Rainbow hugged her a bit tighter before reluctantly letting go. Placing her hooves back on the cloud ground, she looked into the violet eyes of the purple maned mare in front of her and spoke.

“I’m always here if you need me, Scoot, alright?” Scootaloo nodded her head, sniffling and wiping the last of the tears from her eyes.

Rainbow gave a sad smile and quickly hugged the orange mare one more time before turning around to leave the room.

“Good night, Scoot,” she muttered as she left.

“Good night, Rainbow… and thanks again,” Scootaloo replied. She received a warming smile before the cyan mare quietly shut the soft cloud door behind her.

Scootaloo sighed and turned around to face the empty bed that lay in the corner of the dim room. She took a couple of tired steps as she approached the bed. The blanket that lay on top was gently flung to the side as she grabbed it with her teeth and climbed up onto the cloud mattress.

The orange mare remembered how, when she was still a filly, Vinyl would bring her home some nights and tuck her into bed. Every time she did it, Scootaloo’s mother would plant a gentle kiss on her forehead and tell the filly that she loved her. And every time, Scootaloo would go to sleep thinking about how much she loved her mother and how happy that mare was in her life, how happy she was that there was finally somepony to care for her.

Scootaloo wondered about these things as she gently laid her head on the plush pillow and felt her eyelids grow heavy. She didn’t care for sleep right now, but made no effort to break away from its lethargic grasp. Her vision gradually faded as her eyes slowly closed shut and she was unable to blink away the tear that came to her eye. Sleep took its final hold on her as the tear slid down her cheek. She drifted off into a deep slumber and embraced the dream that came.

~ _ * _ * _ ~

There she was, in the place she found so familiar: behind her electronic board, her turntables and her microphone. The mare raised her hoof to touch it but drew back as soon as she did. It was… it was different from her normal set. Something in her mind screamed at her to leave it, to turn away and never use it.

Scootaloo looked around herself in the dark room, and then realized that it wasn’t a room so much as a stadium and she was up on stage. What surprised her more, however, was the massive crowd that stood before her that had gone completely unnoticed. The large group of ponies that had amassed in front of her jumped and danced and raved to the music. Music that she couldn’t hear.

Couldn’t hear…

Then it hit her. Why couldn’t she hear it? She could feel it, the rumbling of the bass, the vibrations that the speakers emitted. It was there, but she couldn’t hear it, no matter how much she strained her ears.

‘Why?’ she silently thought. She could tell that somehow, the music was hers. It was something she had created, but that something was being kept from her.

She realized something else at that moment. The crowd was turned away from her, as if they were ignoring her, as if she wasn’t there.

She didn’t like it.

‘Listen to me, please,’ she thought desperately.

She reached for the foreboding turntables and ran her hoof across them. She vigorously worked the sounds, trying to get their attention, to make them turn around and notice her.

But they ignored her like she was as silent as the music she was making.

‘Please, why won’t you just turn around? What’s wrong?’

The orange mare spun the records and raised the levels on the electric board. She increased the bass to devastating volumes, but they shunned her still. She furiously played her beats until she began to sweat, and then continued to play even more.

Then, finally, she collapsed. Her front hooves rested on the tables while she fell on her hind hooves. She had worked herself to her limit, but she was still alienated by the writhing crowd.

‘Why?’

The mare felt tears form in her eyes and did nothing to resist them. The tears silently fell from her cheeks as she silently pleaded.

‘Why won’t you just turn around?’

She sniffled and stood up, leaning on the tables for support.

‘What’s wrong with me? I can’t even here the music.’

Scootaloo stood still and tried to listen again, but heard nothing and instead felt the music vibrating the stadium.

‘No, it’s there, so why won’t you listen to me?’

She gritted her teeth. Why couldn’t she do it? Why couldn’t she make the beautiful music that she used to? What was wrong?

‘Why can’t you just turn around?’

An angry, frustrated tear fell as she looked up to face the crowd through blurry eyes.

‘Please, just…’

They continued to jump and dance while she slowly broke down.

‘Just…’

Just…

“LISTEN TO ME!”

---

A/N: Okay, before the ‘hate’ comments come, I’ll admit it. I’m a bastard for doing this (pardon my language). It absolutely killed me inside to write this story. I normally hate to read stories where a character died, even though there are some good ones. My deepest apologies for pretty much killing Vinyl, but if you liked the story, then thanks for reading and I hope you like the rest.

And again, a little editing and maybe some friendly criticism in the comments would be wonderful. Thank you : )