• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 1,312 Views, 84 Comments

Genesis - Power to the Bronys



The early and tragic life and times of Vinyl Scratch, aka DJ PON-3 when on stage.

  • ...
2
 84
 1,312

The Mare in the Mirror

This story is dedicated to David, my father, and Janette, my mother. Clearly, there is a gracious God in the heavens to have allowed me to have been brought up under such wonderful people. I could not, no not in a million years if I were ever to live that long, ask nor dream of better parents. I love you both, even if you do question my choice in television.





Genesis

by

Harold Shepherd

and

Edited by Zach theDane


Chapter I: The Mare in the Mirror


Round and round the world spun. First, I saw Octavia as she was at the counter, then I saw Lyra over in the strings section of the music store, then Pinkie Pie through the window as she ran down the street throwing confetti into the air with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy in hot pursuit. I could only imagine what those three were up to. Then the world changed again, showing Tavi at the counter then Lyra, then window, then Tavi, then Lyra, then window, then Tavi, then Lyra, then it began to spin so fast that all I could see was bits of blue as my mane whipped around my head. “Hey, Tavi!” I shouted, my voice vibrating as the turn table wiggled underneath me. “You have got to try this!”

I couldn’t have said it at a worse moment. The turn table that I had been sitting on suddenly tipped forward and sent me careening right into Lyra, who fell onto a guitar display, which fell onto one side of a keyboard. I had set a cupcake on the other end of the keyboard when Octavia and I had come into the store, and now it was airborne on a clear trajectory towards Octavia. She gave a frightful squeal and then at the last moment managed to duck out of the way. But the cupcake still flew onwards, smashing in a horrific display of frosting and caked goodness into the cashier’s face.

Once he had cleared his eyes of frosting, he looked down at Octavia with a scornful expression, bits of frosted cake dribbling down his chin. She just smiled sheepishly back at him, suppressing a squee of embarrassment. He pointed to a sign above the counter that said in big bold letters: YOU BREAK IT, YOU BUY IT. Octavia sighed. “I don’t suppose you take credit?” She said.


“What in sweet Celestia’s name were you thinking, Vin?” Octavia hissed at me when we exited the store, two hundred bits poorer. “Sitting on a moving turn table? Why couldn’t you just do that at home like always? Now we had to pay money we don’t have.”

“Two reasons: one; that turn table can support three times its weight without slowing down, and two; I was there, it was there, and you were taking forever, as always. Besides, after tonight’s concert, we’ll be able to trash all the music stores in Ponyville, if not Equestria.”

“It’s only a one thousand bit gig, Vin, just like all the others.” That was Octavia for you, always miss-lets-look-at-the-glass-two-thirds-empty. “We still have to finish paying for my new cello after you blew up the last one, not to mention that the rent is due soon.” Sheesh, will she ever let me live that one down? You hook it to a bass cannon, forget to ratio the frequency, then the whole thing goes ka-blooy. It’s an honest enough mistake, anypony could have made it. But she was right, money was tight, and we were broke.

There were a few moments of silence, and I swallowed my pride. “I’m sorry.”

That seemed to lift her spirits a bit because she smiled and even laughed a little. “I forgive you. But that’s not what has got me troubled. You do realize what day it is?

She didn’t have to elaborate. I know she what was talking about: the anniversary. That wretched day exactly ten years ago when everything about my life was flipped, turned upside down, and flung out to dry. Octavia’s too, although not nearly as bad. I know that may seem like a selfish and self-pitiful thing to say, but it’s true. She left because she chose to. I left because I had to, with nothing being left to me. I didn’t find leaving hard, or even sorrowful, but it was the events leading up to that moment that are driving nails into my flank and fire out of my soul. A dark time, a terrible time, if only I could forget.

But that was a long time ago. I wasn’t her anymore, thank Luna, and never will have to be again.

After we had walked on in a few more moments of silence, Octavia suddenly started giggling to herself. “What is it?” I asked.

“Did you,” she said in between gasps of laughter. “Did you see the look on the cashier’s face right before the cupcake smashed into it?”

I instantly saw an image of the poor, surprised colt moments before the collision. I couldn’t help but join Octavia in an uncontrollable fit of laughter at the remembrance of the hilarious expression on his face, with his mouth hanging open as if to say Cupcake Landing Zone and his eyes as wide as a tea cups.

“Priceless.” I said when the giggling had subsided.

We didn’t talk the rest of the way to Twilight’s library, but preferred to walk in silence admiring the scenery. Ponyville is a really nice place once you hang around awhile, nothing like the older, noisier cities like Las Pegasus or Manehatten. It’s actually quite beautiful, with many well taken care of trees with leaves that flutter in the wind, and rivers of deep serene blue. The birds, thanks to Fluttershy’s tender care, were always in song and the crisp clear air always carried the faint whiff of apples on the breeze from Sweet Apple Acres. Because the town is set between two mountain ranges we would get the best dawns and sunsets as the sun reflected off the snowcapped peaks and through the tall oaks that border the town. It’s paradise, if there is no other word for it.

That’s not to say that there is ever a dull moment, though. Ever since Twilight came into town, she and her friends have been quite amusing in all the mischief that they seem to have gotten into over that past couple of years. Then there’s Derpy, the local zany mare. I’ve heard a lot of crazy stories about that pony, and after seeing firsthoof what she did to town hall, I don’t doubt that any of them could be possible. I even heard once that she used to live in Canterlot until she accidentally set Princess Celestia’s hair on fire. But once you get to know her, she’s not so bad.

Yep, this was Ponyvillie. Home. At least, now it is. I try not to think too much about my past, but it’s always there, like a storm cloud, especially today. Today it took great delight in tormenting me, reminding me of sins and mistakes long gone but that still refused to be forgotten. This was my place now, not that place where, had it gotten the chance, would have suffocated me. It almost had.

It didn’t take long to reach Twilight’s home, which was really just the library that had been carved out of a giant oak. It was a nice enough library, I guess if you’re into books. I’d rather have a max spinning turn table with 50-inch subs. That doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy a good Daring Do novel every once in a while, but I much prefer wubs to books.

Octavia knocked on the door, which was answered with a muffled “Come in.” Octavia opened the door and we stepped inside. The first thing that caught our attention was the chaotic state the library was in. Streamers and half-dead balloons hung from the rafters, confetti was scattered over everything in a thick layer, an empty punch bowl sat upside down on the floor, and almost all the books were scattered on the ground. The place was trashed.

“What happened here?” Octavia asked.

A small pile of books off to the left suddenly shook then fell apart to reveal a dizzy, cross-eyed Twilight lying on her back. I’d played at enough college gigs to know that she suffered from party lag.

“Wow, you ponies really threw one down here last night, huh?” I said, admiring a giant banner that hung in the center of the room.

Twilight groaned and staggered to her feet. “Pinkie Pie?” Octavia guessed. Twilight gave a feeble nod, but then stopped and looked down with her eyes squeezed shut, clearly fighting off a migraine.

“What time did you get to bed anyway?” I asked.

“Bed?” Twilight replied. That answered my question. “What are you and Octavia doing here anyway? Don’t you need to be preparing for that concert tonight?”

“Actually, that’s what brings us here.” Octavia said. “Vin here blew up my cello during practice earlier this week.” Upon mentioning my name, she gave me a hostile glare. I could only grin and say, “Ah, Tavi, are you going to honestly tell me that you didn’t enjoy being flown across the room and into the wall with your bow embedding itself mere inches above your head?”

Neither of the mares were amused.

“That aside,” Octavia continued. “I’ve always had a friend of mine string my cello when I needed it done, but she’s out of town today. So, I thought I would stop by and see if you had a book that thoroughly explains the process so I can have it strung by this evening.”

“Oh, I believe I have just the thing. Somewhere.” Twilight groaned, looking out into the vast sea of books.

We began searching for the book, but Twilight couldn’t remember that exact title, so we had to show her every book we found that might possibly be the one we were looking for. Needless to say, this slowed our progress greatly.

At some point our work must have woken Spike because we soon saw him coming down the stairs, his eyes drooping and a groggy expression on his face.

“Welcome back to the world, sunshine.” I said.

“The world needs a snooze button.” Spike huffed, crossing his arms.

“Now, Spike, be nice.” Twilight said. “Since you’re already up, you might as well help us cleanup.”

“Ah, but Twi-”

“No ‘buts’ Spike. If I remember correctly, you caused most of this mess.”

Grumbling to himself, Spike retrieved a broom from the utility closet and began to sweep up the confetti. The rest of us returned to looking for the book.

Several hours passed and there was still no sign of the book. Spike had cleaned up most of the confetti and had begun to straighten things up like flipping the furniture back over and rounding up all the balloons. But, seemingly for no reason, he stopped in the middle of the room, his face clinching up and his right eye gave a little twitch. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but was only able to mutter “Ah…Ah.”

Twilight looked over her shoulder to see what he was going on about.

“Ah...AH.” Spike continued to gasp, now bringing a claw up to his nose.

“Sweet Princess Celestia!” Twilight cried, knowing at once what was happening. “Everypony take cover!” She jumped behind one of the few remaining piles of books, pulling a bewildered Octavia with her. I dove underneath the nearest table, which must have been used to set the food on, because there was still an assortment of cupcakes on it.

“AH…AH!” Spike had his head tilted back and was very near the edge of sneezing, when his gasping stopped. But nopony dared move, waiting to see what would happen. Minutes passed, and he didn’t as much as sniffle.

“Huh,” he said. “Must have been a false-AHCHEOOO!” A giant green turret of flame erupted out of his mouth and sent him sprawling backwards onto the table I was hiding under.

It was the kind of table that had only one leg in the center, so when he landed on it, it tipped forward, flung the cupcakes into the air, and smashed down on my head. A momentary blackness blocked my vision, and then everything became hazy while stars did the waltz at the corners of my eyes.

I staggered out from underneath the table, my head swimming in a cloud of pain. I tried to make sense of my surroundings, but all I could see was a blur of reality. When the haze subsided, the first thing I was able to clearly see was an assortment of cupcakes falling in my direction.

I didn’t have time to duck or even blink. I was instantly showered in frosting and cake.

Octavia looked up from her hiding place behind the books, got one look at me, and burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter that sent her to the floor, pounding her hooves as if in a seizure. “Looks like you got your just deserts!” She said, which only added more laughter to her ludicrous display. Even Twilight couldn’t resist a smile.

“Haha,” I said. “Very funny, Tavi.” I turned to Twilight. “Where’s the bathroom?”


It took a good twenty minutes to get all the frosting and cake crumbs out of my mane. When I was done I stared at the mare in the mirror, making sure I had gotten all the cupcake off my face.

But then I stopped. The mare in the mirror was much like me: she wore black rimmed, purple tinted glasses, had a short cut mane style that was dyed two different shades of blue. But an image of another mare flashed into my mind; an image of a mare that I hated with all my being.

I slowly took my glasses of and let them fall to the floor. Now that the glasses where gone, I could see the blood red color of the mares eyes. The same eyes as hers.

I turned the faucet on and let the sink fill up the brim with ice cold water. I lowered my mane into the sink and began to rinse the dye out of my hair, giving the water a transparent blue hue to it. As I moved my head around in the sink, water splashed out and onto the floor, but I didn’t care.

I had sworn that I would never have anything to do with her again, but it had been so long since I had seen her, and the storm cloud above me threatened to burst into a furor, that I had to. I just had to.

I lifted my head out of the sink, now soaked in water, and shuttered as the icy cold liquid trailed down my neck and flank. I looked again at the mare in the mirror, which now had a sleek, wet mess of black hair on the back of her head, all the blue dye now washed down the drain. I pulled the hair over to my right side and let it hang over my face, partially covering my right eye and ear. I imagined it being longer until it covered over half my face and horn. The mares mane, now black, was in deep contrast to her snow white flank.

There was just one thing more to do. I closed my eyes and began to conjure a spell my mother had taught me. It was a simple enough spell, and didn’t even use enough magic to cause my horn to glow, but my mother had made me practice every day until I could use it without even thinking about it. I had, however, not used it in ten years, so it took a couple of tries before I was able to get it right. When I opened my eyes, the mare in the mirror eyes were no longer bright red, but a slightly deep green that, when in combination of her black mane and white flank, gave her a sort of royal beauty to her overall appearance.

And it was done. The mare in the mirror, me, was now a complete doppelganger of her; the mare that I used to be. Everything that I had learned to despise.

The storm cloud above me finally fractured and rent itself apart, raining down despair on me. I once again felt the pain of loneliness and the hate of my own heart from long ago; the betrayal, the malice, the hate, the desolation of my own soul, and all the pains and hopelessness of my past.

I gripped the edges of the sink and vomited. Tears welled up in my eyes, causing me to sob. I leaned on the sink and lay there, weeping.

Twilight and Octavia must have heard the commotion, because the next thing I saw was the door opening in the mirror’s reflection, and I heard Octavia’s voice through the crack saying “Hey, Vin, is everything okay in there?” She must have guessed what I was up to, because she poked her head in when I didn’t answer. Her eyes fell upon me as I was hanging onto the sink as if for dear life, and they looked from my wet face to my night black mane and then finally my green colored eyes. She looked at me with an expression of pure horror.

“Is she okay?” I heard Twilight inquire, sounding concerned.

“Get her a glass of water.” Octavia replied out the door, and then turned back to me.

She came over and knelt by my side on her front legs and looked at me sympathetically. “Oh Vinyl.” She whispered. “What have you done?”

By letting me support my left hoof on her shoulders, she helped carry me out of the bathroom and into the main library where Twilight was waiting for me with a glass of water. She offered it to me and I hastily accepted it and gulped down the contents.

“Oh, you dye your mane.” Twilight said, noticing the black hair that fell over my face. “I didn’t know that.”

I handed back the glass and slumped to the floor, crossing my hooves over my eyes, fighting back another wave of tears.

“What’s wrong with her?” Twilight asked.

Octavia started to explain, but I didn’t listen. I just wanted to find a hole, crawl in and let this storm of my life consume me. I wanted to die.

Octavia must have finished telling Twilight what was causing my trouble, because I soon heard her gasp with shock and she leaned down next to me. “You poor thing! Here let me-”

“Back off! I’m not a helpless filly.” I screamed, sounding very much like a helpless filly.

Twilight shrank back at the hostile tone of my voice. Seeing that I had offended her sent another wave of pain from my storm cloud, which only brought more tears.

The torrential down pour sent me deeper into myself, forcing me to look at who I was. I had made an oath that I would never remember what had happened ten years ago. I couldn’t remember it; I refused to. But the rains of hate and despair pushed me deeper and deeper. I had to. I had to remember.

Author's Note:

Dear readers,

Thank you for choosing to read my fanfic, at least this far, and I hope you will continue to read and find enjoyment in my work. However, I've noticed that lately many viewers have chosen to just look into to my work, and not comment or like/dislike/fav as the case may be. So, here I humbly ask of you to not follow in their hoofs-steps and please at some point throughout the next story to voice your opinion, no matter what it may be. But if you are not going to continue reading, then perhaps you could mention your opinion in a comment below. I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback you would have to offer. Thank you. :)

Never stop loving,
-Power to the Bronys