• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 1,151 Views, 10 Comments

The Toll of Clockwork Tower - Faindragon



[i]Life is like a clockwork. A cog may run for years, decades, without any need to be replaced. But, in the end, it will be worned out, and a replacement will be needed.[/i]

  • ...
0
 10
 1,151

Chapter 9 - The Decision

“...and my word is final,” the earth pony sneered, silencing the midnight black alicorn standing on the other side of the desk. “The apprentice,”—he spat out the word—“is to be brought here where I can be reassured that nothing he does can interfere with our plans.” As the alicorn opened its mouth to protest, he smashed his hoof into the table and rose. “If he starts talking during the trial and says the wrong word to the wrong pony, or if the wrong pony finds him with his throat slit, it might raise questions that can endanger our entire cause.” He took a deep breath to calm down, before he sighed and sat down again. “That apprentice have caused us enough trouble. I don’t want to risk any more of it.”

The alicorn shook her head, before she nodded. “Then how do you want me to do? Just freeing him would raise questions, especially this close to the trial—”

“Take five of the lower-ranged members and get him out of there. Give the guards something to do.” He laughed coldly. “Let the old hag get a little worried that we’re advancing.”

She opened her mouth as to speak, before she closed it and bowed deeply. “It will be as you command.”

He looked down at her, a satisfied smile on his lips. “Then you’re free to leave. I expect you back with the apprentice before sunset.”

The alicorn straightened up again and, without another word, turned around and strode out from the office.

She hadn’t even reached the door before the earth pony had completely forgotten her presence, all his attention on the small envelope, sealed with blue wax, placed upon the silver trail standing in the middle of the desk. He had been surprised when it came in this morning. But now, after getting the news about the shard’s location, it felt like it had arrived here for a reason.

“Did you hear that, old friend?” he mused and reached out a hoof to pick up the envelope. “All the trouble you went through to steal the shard from us, your brethren, for naught. The shard will soon be in our hooves again, and then everything will proceed as planned.” He laughed as he opened the envelope. “I guess you didn’t have the guts to go to the hag wit—”

His words died out on his lips as he stared on the small piece of paper that had fallen out of the envelope. “Earth Pony to d5.” He took a sharp breath, before he shook his head with a sad smile. “Old friend... Don’t you see that this game is over already?”

He rose from the cushion and walked up to the chess board, whereupon the pieces still stood as they had done the night the player behind the black pieces had met his fate. With a sad smile he moved the black earth pony to its new position on the board, removing his own white one. For a moment he stood in silence, his eyes slowly moving from the powerful Student to the inferior Peasants. Then, with a stoic laugh, he shook his head. “Even from beyond the grave you can’t give up.” He smiled as he moved the white Student to knock down the black Earth Pony he had just moved. “Student to d5, mate in three.” He turned the board his back and walked up to the window, looking out over the city below him. “As I said: This game is over. You lost.”

Falk slowly twirled the wine glass with his wingtip, his eyes searching for the answer to the questions he possessed inside of the small vortex it created.

He was old, older than his appearance would tell. Even if his closest friends would say that he was blessed with the body he had when he was twenty, the tiredness he felt in his bones proved that it was nothing but a façade. As a young buck he had lost both his parents in the Canterlot Fire, but unlike most had done then he hadn’t resorted to crime. Instead he had joined the guards, quickly making his way up in the ranks. Twenty-three years ago, after a carefully placed vial, he had reached the rank as Captain of the Royal Guards, the third youngest in all of Equestria history.

The trials that he had faced over the years, be it the failure regarding the capture of Lyra Heartstrings at beginning of his career or the growing difficulty with the sect, was problems he had overcome or at least had full survey over. He had never doubted himself to do the right thing, the path forward had always been clear.

So why was it that now, only weeks before his retirement, that he suddenly started to doubt himself? Over such a trivial matter as the ways of extracting the information about the whereabouts of the artifact he had been ordered to find. From a criminal that would be sent to the gallows in less than a week at that.

Granted, had the knowledge about it reached the Princess’s ears he would’ve had a hard time explaining his action. Even if the orders had been ‘whatever the cost’.

He sighed and put down the glass on the small table next to his cushion, rubbing his temple with the unoccupied wingtip and closed his eyes. This was just another thing that would add to things he had withheld from her for the greater of Equestria. “Goddess, give me strength,” he whispered to the silent room.

Looking up at the window and the moon outside, he shook his head. Right now it was too late to question whether the end truly justified the cause. There was nothing he could do but follow the path he had chosen for himself. With a resolute nod he rose from the cushion, only to kneel down, for himself repeating the words he had sworn to follow so long ago. ”I forever want to serve thee, my beloved country...”

Silence fell over the tavern as every pony assembled, one by one, turned around to look at the smaller squad of guards that had entered the tavern and now spread out against its wall. Each guard was clad in the sun armor and looked sternly at the assembled ponies.

All but one. The leader of the guards, Quillion, looked from face to face, unable to meet the gaze of any of the assembled ponies. Right then, she wished she could be anywhere else.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Gust snarled as he rose from his spot, nearly lounging over the smaller unicorn. The two of the closest guards each took a step forward, their gazes shifting to the pegasus, ready to interfere should it be needed.

She looked up at him, the words he had said in rage so long ago returning to her. “A good guard follow the orders. A greater one questions them.” She slowly shook her head, nearly unnoticeable even for those who looked directly at her. Today she would have to act as the good guard. She steeled herself as her gaze met his, the mechanical eye moving between the other guards that had assembled as well.

“They found Clockwork,” she mumbled, only loud enough for him. The pegasus didn’t even blink, didn’t show anything that proved the origin of her orders. “I’m sorry.” She raised her voice until every pony in the tavern would be able to hear her. “By the order of the Captain of the Royal Guard, Madam Rose, owner of the Prancing Pony, Gust Calm Wind, former royal guard, as well as Octavia, Daughter of Rose, are hereby under arrest for the protection of the criminal Clockwork.” She paused for a moment to let the words sink in. “Everyone else are ordered to leave this building immediately, or you’ll be arrested for hindering the guard.”

Her eyes wandered from pony to pony, until they finally stopped on the musician on scene. Octavia looked at her with wide eyes, her mouth hanging open and the instrument forgotten in her arms. With a heavy sigh, she returned her gaze to Gust. “I would ask kindly of you to not make this harder than it already is.” She motioned towards the back of the tavern. “If you please?”

The bigger pegasus looked down at her for a second more, frowning deeply, before he turned around with a sharp snort. She shook her head. “Get everyone not involved out of here,” she snapped to the closest guards. “Without violence. I don’t want any of that under my command.”

Then, without looking if her orders were followed or not, she walked after the pegasus and sat down opposite him. He looked over her with one eye, his mechanical eye searching the tavern. Without a doubt looking after Rose and Octavia. “So, he snapped then?”

She sighed and took a deep sip of the jug standing on the table, without a care of what was in it or whose it had been, and threw a glance around the room at the same time. Assured that none of her guards were close enough to hear, she leaned forward. “You were right all those years ago. Something’s not right.”

He looked down at her coldly. “Of course I was right, tyro. Otherwise I would still be with the guards.” He snapped both his eyes to her. “You don’t need the others. They had nothing to do with it.”

She shook her head and leaned back again, looking down at the table. Even now, years after she had been placed under his command in the guards, she couldn’t meet his gaze. She felt as she had the time he had looked down at her disapprovingly after their first patrol together. “I’m sorry, cap. The orders are standing.” She looked away out over the quickly emptying tavern as she spoke. In the middle of it, standing with one guard on each side, stood Rose and Octavia, the former looking worriedly at Gust. “The Captain is closing down the Prancing Pony.”

“He can’t do that!” Gust growled, pushing himself up. “He has no right to—”

“He has now,” she said, silencing him and snapped her eyes up at him. For a moment their eyes met, before the pegasus sat down again. With a tired wave of her hoof she motioned to the guards that everything was under control. “Celestia have given him right to do whatever he wants to bring down the sect.” She lowered her voice. “Unfortunately, it seems like Clockwork had ties with them.”

Gust blinked. “Sect? What are you talking about, tyro? What does that have to do with Clockwork and us?”

She sighed and pushed up to her hooves. “I’ll explain everything. For now—” she motioned towards the earth ponies in the middle of the room. “—there’s others that needs your attention. I trust that you’ll all come without resisting?”