• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 1,464 Views, 90 Comments

An Angel and her Soldier - Midnight Words



It has been one hundred years since Discord's second escape and now Discord is free again and this time no Elements, just Guns, Bombs and a powerful alien artifact that could possibly destroy the planet.

  • ...
4
 90
 1,464

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

------------------------------

Hello are you awake? Of course not, if you were awake than you wouldn’t be able to hear me.

Roland's eyes slowly opened and then he saw something he knew was fake, a dream. His old squad mates, his friends all standing there smiling and waving. A single tear left the soldier's eyes. The images began to shimmer and fade and left Angel on the lying on the floor.

"Angel!" Roland called out and ran towards her body. Each step he took only made her body move farther and farther away. He stoped moving when he could no longer see Angel.

He looked to his side and saw his new squad, his new friends.

"Hey, Roland!" Mordecai waved, Bloodwing was perched on his shoulder and cawed.

"Roland!" Brick called, a small brown puppy was cradled on his arms.

Lillith ran towards him and hugged the soldier tightly. "I missed you." She said silently.

Something didn't feel right. The entire scene began to fade like before. He found Angel by his side, still unconscious but alive. A dark swirling cloud stood in front of Roland.

"Angel... Angel wake up..." Roland said, softly and slowly shook the siren awake. Angel opened her eyes and saw the cloud in front of them.

"Hello..." The cloud said. "Don't worry, you're not dead. My name is... well I'll reveal my name in due time. I have something important for both of you to do." The cloud began to glow and explode outwards causing the room to change. "I need you to kill Anarchy." The cloud said.

The scene that played out was Anarchy sucking the life out of five ponies wearing necklaces. A purple unicorn stared at horror as the lifeless husks were dropped to the ground.

"That bastard killed my friends and my family. That purple unicorn you see only survived to watch her friends die in agony." The cloud shifted again. "They were the only ones who could have defeated him, he locked away the elements in a place so secure that no one or pony could get in..." The cloud said.

Roland was uneasy while Angel had a stoic look on her face. "The place is called... The vault but not the vault you know of." The cloud showed a large door with a large circle with an upside-down letter V, the symbol of the vault. "This vault was made with several layers of rooms each holding monsters that could destroy a city on a whim."

The doors opened and revealed a dark stallion with a large flowing mane and a horn. "..But each room has a warrior, a champion to help you fight off the monsters. You will need the sixs keys of the vault, you already have one." The two knives they found inside the castle unsheathed and glowed a bright red. "The first keys will start the journey. The vault is not in one place but scattered across the world, the first vault... will start the fall of Anarchy."

------------------------------

"CLEAR!"

*Brztttt*

"Again."

"CLEAR"

*Brzttt*

Roland woke up, not five minutes later. He didn't say anything and his eyes felt very heavy for some reason. Angel was lying right beside him, trying to be revived. Roland coughed up some blood.

Headshot rushed to the soldier's side. "Stay down, Roland. Doctor Twi is heading over right now, if she could fix you once, she cloud fix you again. Just hold still."

Roland didn't notice it before but Brick was arguing with another pony wearing an expensive looking suit.

"As the vice-mayor and chairman of the board of safety in Ponyville. I strongly suggest we leave these... beasts to die." The pony in the suit yelled at the mayor.

"Up yours." Replied Brick.

"These things are what brought Anarchy into town! If we just kill them quickly then everything will be back to normal." The pony calmly said.

"Listen here, Asswipe." Brick said and picked up the pony by the collar. "If it wasn't for these two 'beasts' there wounldn't even be a Ponyville anymore!"

"They couldn't save the three foals..." The pony choked.

"And I saw you hiding in the corner, shitting your expensive tailor made dress pants, seriously, who wears pants anyway?" Brick threw the pony on the ground. "Start talking big when you do something big."

The pony choked as he hit the ground, but he looked more worried about the dirt that was getting on his suit. "What about you? What have you done?"

Brick turned around slowly and walked towards the pony. "You must be new here. Let me tell you a story about how I got my Cutie-mark."


------------------------------

Back when I was fifteen years old, still no Cutie-mark. Ponyville was attacked by bandits, killed dozens, and enslaved the entire living populace... but only for an hour.

They messed with my friends in my town, so I did the most rational thing to do. I smashed the first bandit who tried to chain me, ripe out their intestines and choke them with it.

"Hey! what the hell!" Another bandit walked in while I was having a good time, so I riped out the dead bandit's heart and force-feed it to his friend and slowly strangled the life out of him.

I walked out smiling and the rest of the bandits tried to take me down with swords, knives, maces, lances, you name it. I picked up an old rusty pipe and smashed all their heads in and freed Ponyville.

Just ask the others and they'll tell you it's true.

Of course more bandits showed up.

"This is going to be easy, little dead-meat." A bandit charged at me with a chainsaw.

Easy. Was the only thing on my mind right now as I side-stepped and smashed that freak's skull in.

After a while, they started getting smarter and used arrows. A friend of mine took an arrow for me and died because she lost too much blood. I lost it and dropped the pipe and smashed their heads in with my bare hooves, ripping off their forelegs or anything else attached to their body.

The bandits set up camp near the town and I just ran in and blew it up with some TNT a little filly gave me. And the big bandit boss wasn't happy.

His name was Sledge Hammer and, boy he was huge. He had a large spiked hammer and smashed it across my face.

I tried everything, tackling him, hitting him, burning him and even my leftover TNT nothing stopped the big idiot.

I though "Hey, if he didn't have his hammer he'll be a huge lame ass" So I used the last of my TNT and tackled him and took his spiked club. I know you would expect him to be a blood-thirsty emotionless idiot but as soon as I took the hammer he begged me to give it back.

I honestly didn't know what to do. On one hoof, he did kill some of my ponies in Ponyville and on the other, he was crying like a big baby.

"Please gimmie back my momma's hammer! That's the only thing I got to remember her by!" The big baby cried.

I was raised by my sis and she always told me "When a stallion cries, you know he's serious."

"Don't hurt anypony else and I'll give back your hammer" I said and held out the hammer. He took it and gave me a big hug.

As thanks he gave me a smaller version of his spiked club, I think it was his when he was a foal.

And that's when this picture of a club and a diploma-thingy showed up on my flank.

------------------------------

Brick stared at the pony who looked like he just shat his pants. "I can be deadly or diplomatic, your choice." He said and dropped the pony on the ground and made his way to Roland.

"Doesn't look good..." Headshot said. "I ain't a doctor but I can tell he isn't going to make it without some help and fast."

Roland was dozing off again. His eyes drifted to another pony in the background, staring at him. The pony stepped back and dissapeared into the crowd.

"Twilight! Over here!" Headshot called out to the light purple and magenta unicorn.

Twilight ran over carrying a large medical bag. "Surgery! Stat!" She yelled and everyone made room for the doctor and the soldier.

She took out a scalpel and opened up Roland in the mid-section. "Damn..." She whistled. Roland's insides were literally made of jello and blood. Her horn glowed and the jello organs began to turn back into fully functioning organic organs. Cuts and wounds began to heal themselves.

Roland breathed, sweet air filled his lungs. "Angel!" He yelled and crawled over to her side. "Angel! It's me, Roland!"

Angel's eyes began to glow and a demonic voice echoed throughout Ponyville. "Your precious Siren cannot help you now." The voice bellowed and Angel's body began to float and disappear.

Roland's echo turned on. "Roland... Help..." Angel said and then the echo turned off.

Roland stared at the ground where Angel was only seconds ago. "Where is the Griffon camp?" Roland said.

"Wait! What about Angel?!? We got to help her!" Headshot yelled and came face-to-face with Roland. "She's your friend dammit!!"

Roland looked up. "You don't think I know that, think about it whatever that thing that took Angel is, it isn't just some unicorn making magic. We need some serious firepower and my turret is the only thing that could give us enough firepower."

Brick saw the crowd stare uneasily at the soldier.

"Maybe the vice was right, maybe they should just leave." A pony in the crowd said.

"Alright, folks, break it up, nothing to see here." Brick said to the crowd as they dispersed. He then turned his attention back to the soldier. "That would be the Screaming Talons clan up in Dragon peak mountain. The regular pass was covered by a huge landslide, you'll have to move to the other side of the mountain through White-tail woods and a large Bandit clan is set up in the camp; The Broken horns, unicorns with powerful but uncontrollable magic. Hope you’re ready for a fight." Brick said and turned back to the wreckage. "Wish I could come with you but I need to see to the repairs of the town."

"You won't be able to get in without some explosives; I know a mare that would love to blow up the Talons." Headshot said and flew up. "I'll meet up with her and tell her not to blow up when she sees you." He said and flew towards the mountain.

Twilight looked up to the sky. "He's wing's not completely healed, he won't be able to fly for long." Twilight said. "I'll come with you. Just in case." Twilight said and levitated her saddlebag and latched it on.

"Thanks but unless you know how to fight, I'd rather not have to babysit a pony." Roland said, sternly. He walked through town and found White-tail woods.

The woods in question were overrun with a creature similar to a Night Stalker but smaller and didn't have invisibility, but the most noticeable feature was a pair of bat wings and venomous fangs.

"Those are the Crawler." Twilight said. She has been following Roland since town hall. "We can either fight them or sneak pass."

Roland looked at the Crawlers and saw they didn't have much vision or smell but make up for speed. One Crawler riped apart a bunny within two seconds. Roland thought for a while. "The faster we get there, the better." Roland shot his rifle at the Crawlers, killing one by critical hit.

Twilight took out a bloody bone saw that looked like it was used frequently. She slashed a Crawler in across the neck and pushed it aside.

Roland pressed on and knifed anything that got too close. They were slowly being surrounded and Roland was low on ammo. He was on his last clip as he reloaded.

A lightning bolt struck a Crawler in the head. Water harmlessly splashed on several Crawler, much to their anger and another bolt of lightning passed through them.

Headshot was perched on a stationary cloud and waved towards the duo, he then turned his head to the left and fired. Roland knew there was a fight going on and sprinted forward towards the bandit camp.

Fire burnt through the camp as screams of terror and pain echoed through the burning encampment. One pony stared at the burning buildings with a smile, having an insane amount of explosive strapped along her body, her horn was covered with soot as flames burnt through the flesh of the mages of the bandit clan.

"Name's Firecracker, Biyocth!" She yelled as she turned around and an explosion erupted from behind her. "Oh hey, didn't see 'ya there."

Headshot flew down and waved at Firecracker. "Hey, this is the guy I was telling you about, Roland."

Firecracker threw a bundle of unlit dynamite to Roland. "Glad I could meet some...thing that loves blowing shit up as much as I do!" She giggled and bounce towards a burning building. "And I LOVE burning stuff even more!"

"Yeah. Did you get the explosives?" Roland asked.

"Of course." Firecracker said and pulled out a miniature spark.

Headshot backed away as soon as she pulled out the spark. "SHITTTT! That's enough firepower to blow up Canterlot if you place it right."

"You know me, Headshot, I never pack light." Firecracker tucked back the small spark and merrily hopped away as if she didn't have bombs that could destroy a city.

"Do not. I repeat. Do not douse her with water, unless you want to make a crater the size of Sugarcube corner." Headshot said and quickly followed the happy arsonist.

Roland and Twilight followed the Pegasus around the mountain and saw the road that leads up to the top.

"This is going to be a long trip." Roland sighed and started their hike.

------------------------------

Angel. You're going to be alright, you're being taken to an abandoned mineshaft and you lost all your weapons even the knife and SMG. We need that knife.

Angel opened her eyes and she saw she was chained up on the wall, two armored ponies took guard. She saw her HUD reboot as her health, ammo, shields and navigation checked out. Large bold letters appeared in front of her and read "LEVEL UP".

I'm talking to you telepathically, I left you with a little gift, try to knock them out.

Angel opened her ECHO and switched it to the skill tree, there were three categories to choose from, Angel; which mostly shows buffs and heals, Siren; which shows different things that could modify her Phase Shift ability, and Magic; that mostly shows upgrades for weapons to give them an elemental power.

The Siren skill tree shown a mind-control skill that makes lower level enemies fight for you and make you do what you want. She picked that skill.

The two guards looked as bored as a skag without something to chew on. Angel used her Phase Shift ability to make the two guards do her bidding, the two guards picked up the keys and unlocked Angel's bindings. She smiled and knocked the two ponies out.

She traveled outside her little prison and saw that the mine wasn't abandoned after all. Workers with pickaxes mined through rocks and most gems were left in a pile with a few dog things.

"Find the shinnies, slaves." One of the dogs said, Angel crouched down behind a few barrels and crates and peaked over. "Master said watch hairless diamond dog and you find shinnies for us!"

Angel tried to find an exit inside the compound but it was being guarded by the dogs and two large brute ponies.

You can't leave just yet, your stuff is in the safe by your left, the combination is 4,4,4,4. Make sure nopony sees you.

Angel smiled as she noticed the two weak looking guards by the safe, she used her Phase Shift and took control of the two guards, and she sent them away to cause a distraction.

Several minutes later a large fire broke out and a cave-in at one of the mines made her job easier. She went to the safe and turned the dial to open the safe holding her weapons and the vault key/knife.

Good, you got the vault key, you should get out before they figure out your gone.

Angel snuck out the door of the safe and hid in the shadows. As she moved through the compound, her scent was becoming known to the dogs.

"Something doesn't smell right." One of the dogs said and sniffed the air. "The hairless-dog is loose!" The dog pointed towards Angel as she ran from cover to cover.

She took out her rifle and shot the two guards in head, their bodies fell limp on the ground. Angel used her Phase Shift to disorient the dogs and make the weaker ones attack. She ran through the doors. She could see Ponyville in the distance. She sprinted towards Ponyville. Howls and barks followed her towards Ponyville.

Brick was finishing up the repairs on the town hall and the main square. He saw something running on the distance.

"Angel?" He wondered as the human siren can rushing out with a mob of Diamond dog following her.

Brick groaned and went inside town hall and took out a spiked club. "Hope they don't do much damage." Brick muttered softly and charged with the club clenched in his teeth and smashed the diamond dog's skull, blood poured out of its nozzle and head.

Angel took out her rifle and shot the oncoming dogs. "Brick!" She yelled.

Brick pulled out his spiked club and looked at Angel. "Yeah?"

Angel pulled back the trigger and sent a diamond dog flying back. "Where's Roland?"

Brick slammed his hoof down on a diamond dog's head. "He's going up Dragon peak mountain to get his turret thingy." Brick said and shoved off a large diamond dog that bit him on the foreleg.

A large howl came from the ranks of the diamond dogs. The dogs stopped their assault and made way for a enormous dog that snapped at Angel and a smaller dog on its shoulder.

"That is one big bitch." Brick commented and dodged a huge paw but didn't see the tail that knocked him back towards a tree and snap it in half.

The giant dog howled and the dogs attacked the mayor and the siren.

Brick roared himself and sent the dogs flying. He smiled. "This is gonna be fun!"