• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 2,128 Views, 43 Comments

Daydreamers - Tropical Octave



[Interactive] When the spirit of Nightmare Moon visits Spike in his dreams, she presents to him everything a mortal could ask for; wealth, power...mares. Will the dragon be able to repel her nocturnal advances? Or will he accept and bend a knee?

  • ...
3
 43
 2,128

Seeing Blue: Dreams Once Lived

The 'Time' had come.

The satanic alicorn stood stoically as Spike weighed the diamonds in his claws, narrowing her eyelids as he stared fiercely down at the ground. Looking from left to right, she knew he had made his choice.

Eying the red gem with disgust, Spike looked passionately at the frail cerulean-colored diamond in his left claws. Hoisting it to his mouth, he ate the entirety of the gem fiercely, rebellion burning in his eyes. Then, the defiant drake shoved the crimson rock directly into the chest of Nocturn. "Sorry, demon. I'm not so big on deals with the devil. Maybe I AM treated like a second-tier dragon, but at least I can live with myself. The last thing I need on my conscious is 'Listened to Nightmare Moon'. I mean look at yourself!" Spike shouted, no longer afraid of the nightmarish being before him. "You've become a testament to your own sins, and deserve your place in this world!" The young dragon roared, now starting to dissipate. "I suppose the only thing I can say now is...I'm sorry. May Tartarus have mercy on your soul."

"I see. Know this though, dear Spike. I will find another. Maybe, the next pony in line will be more open to ideas of peace, prosperity...and harmony." Nocturn uttered coldly.

"The only thing you want from this world is the power to fuel your unending desire for evil! You don't want harmony...You're revolted at the mere thought of it!" Spike bellowed, a fire burning in his chest. "I know for a fact that nopony will ever succumb to your ideals, no matter how you word them!" The fearless dragon finished. He started taking steps in the opposite direction of Nocturn, a smile on his face. "Goodbye, demon. May you never have a moment's rest."

The drake's physical form began to shimmer in the moonlight, a dizzying sensation overcoming him as the world began to spin. The last thing Spike glimpsed before falling into unconsciousness was the night regent, frowning sorrowfully to herself as he slipped away.


The wicked laughter of a nightmare now defeated echoed throughout Spike's head as he began to began to stir, realizing he'd fallen out of bed. Raising a claw to his forehead, the memories of the the previous night came flying back to him. "Sweet Celestia! I'm alive! I'm alive!" He cheered, scrambling out of bed and down the stairs. "Twilight! Guess what! I'm alive!" He shouted to the ceiling, now sprinting to the kitchen where he presumed his would-be mother would be, safe and sound. "Twilight!" He yelped, noticing the shadow of a pony in the hallway. "I'm so happy to see you! You won't believe the nightmare--"

He stopped. Upon entering the kitchen, a black shadow crept from the wall to the center of the room. Spike fell to his knees as panic overtook his frail body. "T-t-twilight?"

"I'll be honest, Spike. I expected better from you. Unfortunately, nopony escapes Nightmare. And by nopony, I of course, mean you." The hauntingly familiar form of Nocturn said disappointingly. Shaking her head, the dark horse of the apocalypse's horn flared a bright, crimson purple. "I'm sorry, young dragon. I truly am." She murmured compassionately. "But I can't have you spoil all the fun. I'm sure you'll make fast friends with the ponies of Abstracticum." A look of horror overcame the drake. "Even if it's only temporary. Goodbye, Spike."

Spike barely had time to scream before every fear imaginable came forth from the walls, the floors, and the ceiling. The sum of all fears enveloped Spike in an endless black cocoon, spiraling both in and out with lies, deception, and secrecy.

Nocturn trotted from the living room to the kitchen-window. Noting the ponies at play, she sighed deeply before turning back to the library's foyer. With a hair of magic, the mare opened the nearest book that had been sitting atop a desk. Flipping to the nearest bookmarked page, her frown turned into an interested smile. "The Sum of All Fears; By Twilight Sparkle. Hmm...Now this is a book I can get around." She spoke aloud, levitating the book to her side. Looking to the nearest couch, the night regent sat herself down and began reading. "Let's see just how much the Equestrians really know..."


Raindrops echoed throughout the night, pattering softly as the scent of lightning stung the nostrils of two young Equestrians. This was it.

"Spike, I need you to look at me. I need you to look me in the eyes, and tell me everything's alright, o-okay?"

Spike was on the verger of breaking down, his eyes beginning to water. "E-everything's gonna be alright, T-twilight. I swear, it'll never happen--"

A hoof stopped him mid-sentence. "Shhh, shhhhh. Please, Spike. W-we don't need to talk about it anymore. As long as we keep this between us, nothing bad will ever happen to you, okay?"

He nodded once.

"Thank you." The purple unicorn whispered, now on the verge of tears. "I'll always love you, no matter what happens," Twilight continued, looking deep into Spike's eyes. "Do you remember the time Owlowiscious and I saved you from that dragon?"

Spike again nodded.

"W-what exactly did I say again?"

"You...You called me your number one assistant." He said with a smile.

Twilight closed her eyes, tears rolling down her cheek. "I...I think I made a mistake." She said, coughing fiercely. "You're the best friend a pony could've ever asked for..."

Spike began to choke on his words. "No, Twilight! You can't leave me like this! There's so much more in life to enjoy! You can't just...GO!"

Twilight Sparkle, with all her energy, grabbed Spike by the shoulders, bringing him to her face. "I've had a full life...Heh, who else do you has saved the world...Four times, no less. But," She managed to say weakly, now on her last breaths. "That's not the point Spike. The point is...I love you. I love you, so, so very much," Another fit of coughs interrupted the fast-fading mare. Kissing him on the cheek, her eyes began closing. She knew this was her final act. "And I'll always be looking down on you...Goodbye, Spike. I...l-love.....you......" And with a smile, Twilight's head fell limp in the dragon's arms.

"T-t-twilight?" He whispered, shaking her at the shoulders. "Twilight? A-a-are you there? Twilight, listen to me! Please! Twilight!" Spike shouted, thunder clapping directly about him as the rain of a lifetime beat down upon his quivering form. Looking from his claws to his mother, a terrible longing pieced his cold-blooded heart as he watched the flower that was Twilight Sparkle's life wilt before his eyes. "TWIIIIIILLLLLLIIIIIIIGHT!"


Spike lay nearly unconscious, curled up in a ball with his eyes closed. A single tear rolled down his scaly cheek. With a whimper, he let out a low moan. "Twiiilllliiight...Please.....Come back..."

About twenty feet away, a feminine voice was heard. "Hey, Caesar! Look! I think the dragon just said something!" She said excitedly.

Not more than a moment later, another voice was heard. "Get your head on straight, numbskull. Most of things the Mistress throws down here already had a nail in their coffin." The raspy, male voice grunted. After a series of coughs, he continued. "Besides. The last thing we need to do is leave our post....Even for a mortal. After all, we are on the Overseer's shortlist. Just a few more months of Mind Heist and we're outta here! You don't want to ruin our chance at promotion, right Cass?"

"Never honey! But I could swear he said something...something heart-wrenched." The first voice said woefully.

The second voice laughed between a fit of chest-wrenching coughs. "Sure he did, Miss. 'Feelings for Everypony'. Just like that earth pony that came through a week ago. What was her name again? Chocolate Daiquiri?" He asked himself. "Bah. It doesn't matter now. Besides, I think it's just about break time, and I'm starving. Finish your load and let's go."

The female sighed deeply. "I don't know, Caesar. I could swear he was calling somepony's name. But, if you're so certain..." And was followed by a series of loud snaps and cracks. After a few minutes of crackling, a lever switched and was immediately followed by the loud whines of machinery.

The intense sounds of grinding gears and bursting steam were last straws needed to wake Spike from his slumber. With immense effort, Spike let out a low-toned cry. "Twiiiiillliiight....."

The grinding of gears halted. "Caesar! I know you heard it this time! I knew he was alive!" The female shouted.

"C'mon, Cassy. You're kidding me...right? If we're seen anywhere near the teleportation fields, the Overseer will demote us again!" But stopped the same time a clammor of metal fell to the ground. "Cass! Wait! Stop!"

Spike heard the sound of gallops as he lay still, eyes closed. As the sound of hoofsteps grew near, he tried to make some more noise. "Twiiiiillllight...pllleassse..."

The voice, now feet from the fallen drake, cooed him genially. "Don't worry little fella, auntie Cassy is going to get you outta here..." But was followed suit by the sound of a second set of hooves sliding into the ground.

"Cass! What're you doing! Leave that thing alone!" Came the raspy male, breathing heavily at the physical exertion.. "If we're caught talking with the stricken, we'll be hung!" He exclaimed quietly. "Please! For the both of us, let. Him. Be."

"Let him BE?! But Caesar! If we leave him alone, he'll die for sure!" The mare hissed back. "You always go on about how life is a thing worth protecting. Wouldn't you agree that the life of this dragon applies to that same protection?" She said hotly. "Please, Caesar. We have to help this dragon. And quite frankly, our moral compasses need a little aligning."

"But Cass! One does not simply, 'Help the branded.' Where on Abstracticum would we put him? How would we feed him? Keep him alive?" The male spat.

"We could scavenge gems from the rift! Dragons do eat gems, right? It's been so long...I can't even remember the last time I spoke with a dragon..."

The male coughed harshly twice. "Okay, so let's say we do take this dragon in. How would we keep him hidden from the Overseer? We can't just leave him in our bunker alone! We've got to think this through!"

"I think I know a spell." She said hoarsely, coughing once. "If anything, he could tell us how the mistress is fairing. You know, give us a little insight on Daydream?"

A clapping sound was heard from the area of the male. From the noise, it was likely a face-hoof. "I can't believe I'm considering going through with this. If either of us are connected to this dragon, we're dead. You do know this, right?"

"It's worth a try!"

The male sighed deeply. "You're lucky I love you."

Spike could feel the warmth radiating off the pair of ponies huddled over him. With the last of his strength, he managed to whisper. "Please...Help...Nocturn...Ponyville......Need to...Save..." And began to fade. The last words he heard were from the female.

"I don't care what it takes, young dragon, but I'm going to help you. whatever it takes, I'll make sure you wake up again," She said soothingly, stroking the spikes atop his head. "Please, rest," She said sweetly, coughing slightly before stroking his scales. "Hush now, quiet now, it's time to lay your sleepy head...Hush now quiet now, it's time to go to bed..."

Rest Your Eyes...