• Published 4th Jan 2013
  • 917 Views, 19 Comments

Broken Wings - JPTrixie-Fan



a tale of a pegasus with no memory

  • ...
8
 19
 917

Chapter five: a not so ordinary meeting


The sun soared high above Equestria as the ponies of the world galloped about their business; in the north orchard of Sweet Apple Acres two large stallions were hard at work pulling ploughs and removing old fallen tree trunks. They’d been hard at work since before Celestia had raised her sun, but it seemed like they were getting nowhere; no matter how many rotten trees and fallen trunks they cleared there were always more. Finally Big Mac decided he’d had enough of this uphill struggle and told Broadsword that he’d need to send a letter to his cousins for help.

“It’ll be a few days till mah cousins get here from Appleoosa, so if ya help me chop up this here wood ya can have the rest of the day off. Ah’ll still need ya back tomorrow as normal fer th’ other chores.” The larger red stallion stated before picking up an old but still very sharp axe.

Broadsword simply nodded and began chopping in response. The minutes passed and after an hour or so the pair had finally cleared the large stack of logs, reducing them to an equally large but neatly stacked pile of fire wood.

***
After helping move the wood stack Broadsword took his leave and headed back towards the town, barely making it to the gates before he was once again accosted by the trio of fillies that had drafted him into their club a few days earlier.

“Hey there Mister Broadsword! It’s time fer a club meetin’!” The yellow filly stated looking up at the tall stallion who was clearly trying to avoid eye contact with the group.

“Err… I’m busy so I can’t make it…” He lied, horribly. Still, this didn’t dampen the spirits of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and they pressed onward with their plans.

As they turned away from the stallion the filly called Scootaloo began talking to the other crusaders. “This trip to the Everfree forest is definitely gonna get us our cutiemarks!”

Upon hearing what the filly trio had planned Broadsword just couldn’t let them go alone, after all the Everfree forest is where he was chased by the chimera and where he fell from a waterfall; who knows what else was lurking deep in the dark woods of the Everfree. No, he had to try to talk them out of it and he had to start trying quickly before they went through with the silly endeavour.

“Girls wait!” He caught the attention of the fillies who then turned to face him. “What’s th’ matter mister?” Apple Bloom asked looking at him in confusion.

“You can’t go into the Everfree forest, it’s dangerous in there. I won’t allow it.”

“Awww” the three whined in unison and looked at their hooves. “but what if ya’ll come with us? Then it won’t be so dangerous!” Apple Bloom concluded, but still Broadsword kept to his lie.

“I… I’m busy, so i…”

“Please, please, please??” the young trio surrounded the large brown stallion and lookup up at him with wide eyes.

“Stop it, stop looking at me like that!” the stallion was clearly being worn down by their pleas, all it needed now was a final push.

“Come on girls he won’t go, so we’ll just go alone.” Scootaloo said slyly and turned away from the stallion to walk away.

“Wait… Ok if I can’t stop you from going, then I’ll have to go with you.”

Broadsword had finally given in to the relentless pleas of the three fillies and was now heading against his will into the Everfree forest.

***
The four ponies ventured deep into the heart of the forest; it was eerily quiet and a ghostly fog hid every direction. The fillies were becoming scared and were beginning to regret their decision to try exploring the depths of the unnatural Everfree forest; Sweetie Belle was the first to panic when the fog covered up every trail and passage including the one they had just come from.

“Girls, I think we should go home now. I don’t think this is how we’ll get our cutiemarks.” Sweetie Belle suggested in hopes that the others would have the same idea, but there was no reply. The white filly felt her heart beating faster; she had somehow wondered away from the others and now had no idea where they were.

“Help! Girls? Mister Broadsword? Anypony help meeee!” she cried out and started to break down in tears.

The other crusaders weren’t fairing any better, like Sweetie Belle the others had all somehow lost each other in the thick fog and were now calling out for somepony to find them. Broadsword looked around for the three fillies, but to no avail they were nowhere to be found; in the thick fog he could hear the calls of the girls but they were very faint. After following the closest cries Broadsword found himself closing in on the silhouette of a sobbing unicorn.

“Sweetie Belle! Is that you?” the stallion yelled as he galloped closer, the sobs of the filly were growing louder; it was clear that if nothing else she was still alright. Breaking through the thick mists of the forest Broadsword found the crying white filly curled up in a ball and hiding in a hollowed out tree stump.

“Rarity I promise I’ll be a better sister if I get out of here, I’ll never head into the Everfree forest ever again.” Sweetie Belle sobbed to herself and tried to hide deeper in the makeshift bunker.

“Sweetie Belle! Sweetie Belle where are you?”

“Mister Broadswooord!!”

Before he knew it Broadsword was hugged by the terrified filly who spent the next several minutes crying into his cloak as she rode on his back while he searched for the others. Soon the two ponies were calling out for their missing friends; it was an hour or so before they started to hear the cries from one of the remaining fillies, but the noise that the girls were making had started to attract very unwanted attention and Broadsword didn’t want to find out what was now heading towards them.

“Apple Bloom can you hear me?!” the stallion called out as the thundering stomps of what ever monstrosity was heading their way.

“Mister Broadsword? Where’re Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?”

“I’m here!” Sweetie called out as Broadsword galloped through the thick underbrush, ducking and weaving with each step.

“Apple Bloom head towards Sweetie’s voice!” the Pegasus stallion commanded, his voice growing louder and every step drawing closer to where the yellow filly was stood. Taking a moment to turn to Sweetie Belle, Broadsword asked her to sing so that her friend could hear them.

“We…we are the cutie mark crusaders…” she began, the chorus of their theme song echoed through the darkened woods until once again Broadsword found himself being hugged by a small and rather frightened filly.

“Where’s Scootaloo?” the yellow filly asked looking at her two rescuers.

“She’s still out here, so we’ve got to find her quickly before something bad happens.” The large stallion stated and then let the other filly climb up on his back before once again setting off to search for the last missing crusader.

***
It was almost sunset and there was still no sign of Scootaloo causing Broadsword to fear the worst; the fillies on his back were still singing the crusader theme song while trying not to worry that something had happened to their friend. The thunderous steps that once pursued them had disappeared and were replaced by an eerie, nerve wracking silence.

Each silent step he took was almost heart stopping, with each second that passed hope of finding the filly decreased and Broadsword became desperate. His pace increased until he was galloping at full speed, his lungs burned as did the rest of his body but his fatigue would have to be ignored for now because in the darkness of the forest there was a friend who needed him.

***
The sun had gone down and the darkness of the Everfree forest became darker, the orange filly tried to find her way back to the others but it was useless; the night had reduced the world around her to a pitch black wall with the only light being the odd silver moon beams that broke through the canopy of trees. Scootaloo panicked and started to hyperventilate, her eyes flickering with every slight twitch in the underbrush.

“Girls? Girls where are you? Ha ha ok it’s not funny now, come out come out wherever you are!”

The orange filly’s eyes finally adjusted to the poor light of the forest and it was then she noticed several glowing red orbs just yards away from where she stood, the orbs began to move closer and an unearthly howl echoed through the darkened thicket. Scootaloo turned and ran as fast as she could, the orbs gaining more ground with each time she turned her head. Suddenly, she felt a rock under her hoof and she tripped landing face first in the undergrowth with the unknown beasts in close pursuit.

“HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!”

Scootaloo cried out for somepony to save her and as if by magic she was scooped up by the muzzle of a large Pegasus stallion who flung her over his head to land on his back, but this was no time to celebrate. The unknown beast that was hot on the tail of Scootaloo was in fact a flesh hungry pack of timber wolves and they were fast, faster than Broadsword could believe and he was losing ground.

Finally, the group had run out of room and were now cornered near a cave with the timber wolves circled around them ready to pounce.

“Girls get behind me!” The stallion commanded and backed up to the stone walls near the cave. Acting almost on instinct he looked for a weapon, but all he could find were a few rocks which were too small to even distract the growling timber wolves that drew ever closer.

“Girls stay calm, I’ll keep them back.” Broadsword lied, he knew as well as any other pony in Equestria that you can’t beat a full pack of timber wolves on your own and especially without a weapon; all he could do is hope that the wolves would be satisfied with his carcass long enough for the fillies to get away. The stench of the snarling wooden beasts lingered as they waited for their alpha to strike. Suddenly, out from amidst the trees and fog came the thunderous roar of an adult manticore that towered a full twenty hooves above the wolves and ponies alike. The timber wolves turned to face the larger monster; they pounced on it biting and clawing at the manticore in an attempt to try and injure it; of course these were mere flea bites against the gargantuan beast who swatted the entire howlpack aside in a single devastating blow. It was during this confusion that Broadsword saw his chance and quickly ushered the three fillies away.

They had been galloping at an intense pace so much so that he had to resort to once again carrying the trio on his back, but after what felt like forever in the darkness the four ponies broke through the pitch black wall of the forest and found themselves in an open field overlooking Fluttershy’s cottage. The whole ordeal had left the fillies shaking and terrified but otherwise unharmed. The events of the day had also given Broadsword a lot to think about, why was he so inponily fit and why when he encountered such beasts was he not shaking? The memories of Nightmare Night unearthed themselves once again as did the encounter with the chimera. Why was it that he knew no fear? Why did he not break down and freeze up like the fillies had?

There were too many questions and no where near enough answers, it seemed that the only one who knew anything about him was Crescent Moon, but she was as mysterious as the answers that eluded him. Nonetheless it had grown late and no doubt the parents of these girls were probably worried sick, not to mention he was supposed to go shopping for Trixie and so without further delay he began walking them home.

***
After returning Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle to their hysterical older sisters and watching the scolding that took place afterwards, in which he was both the responsible adult and the naughty child; in fairness to the sisters he deserved it for not stopping the fillies from going. However after each scolding he received, the younger sister would explain the whole story and he would get an apology and even a hug from the elder sister who was very thankful that he got them all home safely.

The last girl he had to return home was Scootaloo, but no matter how many times he asked her she wouldn’t tell him where she lived; he thought that she was just afraid of getting told off. The truth behind her denial was in fact a lot more tragic; finally he’d managed to get her to tell him, but it wasn’t what he expected. The truth of the matter was that she was an orphan; she was abandoned at birth and didn’t have a family to return to so she never wanted to go back to the orphanage because nopony there even worried about her.

The orange filly’s story tugged at the large stallion’s heart; he’d always thought that she was just a show off, but now here she was a sad and lonely foal who never got the love of a parent… He began to wonder, did he ever have a family? Maybe Scootaloo’s tale wasn’t so different from his own. It was then he noticed the filly starting to cry over the memories that had been dragged up, lifting up his closest hoof and laying it over the filly’s shoulder he pulled her closer and hugged her.

“It’ll be ok Scootaloo; you already have a great family.”

“R... really?” She asked, her greyish purple eyes looking up through tears at the Pegasus stallion who was now hugging her.

“Of course, you have all your friends, me, Rainbow Dash and her friends and even Miss Trixie. So don’t feel sad, because you have so many friends and they’re just as good as a family.”

“Mister Broadsword?”

“Hey Scootaloo, do you want to come and get some dinner with me and Miss Trixie? I always make too much and it’s never as good when it’s been warmed up a second time.” The stallion asked in an attempt to cheer the filly up.

“Sure.” The filly smiled as they walked to Trixie’s trailer.

***
After the two got back to Trixie’s home Broadsword was scolded by the azure mare for being out so late and making her worry, of course she’d never admit the last part in fact the way she put it was: that he was in trouble for being home late and not making her a delicious dinner like she was used to. Nonetheless the silver maned unicorn still shook head to hide her eyes which had welled up with tears and embraced Broadsword in a tight hug. As Trixie hugged Broadsword she noticed that there was a filly there watching them.

“Ahem, Broadsword? Why is there a foal in the great and powerful Trixie’s trailer?”

“Oh yes, Miss Trixie this is Scootaloo I invited her over for dinner.” He looked at Trixie with eyes that were almost pleading for her to just go with it.

Trixie took the hint and donned her usual confident demeanour. “Very well, welcome to the great and powerful Trixie’s abode.”

***
After dinner Scootaloo fell asleep on Trixie’s small throw pillow and Broadsword had gone to wash the dishes, it was in this peaceful moment that Broadsword finally got chance to explain why Scootaloo was there for dinner. At first Trixie was mad that he’d just brought the filly over without saying so first but after hearing Scootaloo’s tale of woe she just smiled and hugged the large stallion.

“Err… Trixie is going to go and read in her room, when Scootaloo wakes tell her she is welcome at anytime.”

“Thank you Miss Trixie.” The stallion said as he continued washing the dishes and watched as Trixie pulled a blanket over the sleeping filly.

***
The next morning Trixie awoke to breakfast in bed which was a treat she had enjoyed since she’d invited Broadsword to live with her; however this morning the breakfast was a little different, not in flavour it still tasted the same but rather it was amateurishly prepared. In the kitchen Broadsword and Scootaloo were busy cooking up their own breakfast, but the end results were as poorly presented as Trixie’s meal was, nonetheless Broadsword happily ate every bite and Scootaloo did the same.

Once the noise in the kitchen had died down Trixie emerged to see the two other ponies sat at her fold out table and memories of her own family flooded back into her mind, suddenly she was happy; her gaze softened and she helped them clean up. As soon as they’d cleared the table and washed up Trixie tasked Broadsword with getting the groceries that he’d ‘forgotten’ to get last night, like normal he agreed happily and told her he would pick them up after helping at the farm. With that Broadsword left for work, leaving Trixie and Scootaloo to go about their business.

***
Broadsword arrived at Sweet Apple Acres a little later than usual, but Big Mac understood especially after the events of last night. Without wasting time the two stallions began work first milking the cows, then bucking the apples of the east field; it had taken them several hours to clear half of the trees in the field but the cider that the apples made was worth the work and as a bonus for his hard work Broadsword was gifted with a barrel of Apple family cider, which he tried to refuse out of courtesy but they insisted.

***
At the end of the work day Broadsword walked through the market buying everything that Trixie had listed, until he was stopped by the owner of the local curiosity shop.

The well dressed, brown unicorn stallion was out of breath, whatever he wanted it was clearly very urgent.

“Captain Broadsword what are you doing in Ponyville?”

An abrupt silence fell between the two ponies as Broadsword stood looking at the unicorn in shock.

Author's Note:

alright guys and gals that's chapter five it's a little more CMC and Scootaloo based than it was originally meant to be, nonetheless i think it turned well.
still, as usual any feedback good or bad will be appriciated.
if you enjoyed this please like comment and follow.
next chapter will be exploring Broadsword's past as well as introducing a new character and Trixie will be alot more involved than she was in this chapter.

so i look forward to any opinions and i'll see you all at chapter six
JPTrixie-Fan