• Published 25th Jan 2012
  • 666 Views, 0 Comments

A Ruined Mind - fire64



How does one go about intergeting back into society after going through the horrors of war?

  • ...
 0
 666

War Torn

War Torn

The night was quiet, calm and it would be quite tranquil if not for the stench of death that filled the air. A mighty fortress once stood tall on a cliff edge, but now it stands in ruins. A battle had taken place here, one of the utmost importance. One final clash between two fractions which would decide whether the war would end, or rage on.

The defenders were those of the Lunar Republic and the attacking force, was the Equestrian Army. The battle had raged on for what seemed like forever, but in the end it was the Equestrian Army, who reigned victorious. The soldiers of the LR fought valiantly, but alas, it was of no use. With their queen dead and the fall of their high commander not too long after, the remaining soldiers lost hope and were easily slain by the Equestrian Army.

Suddenly the silence is broken and the sobs of a mare can be heard coming from the lower depths of the still standing throne room. The only light is a tiny ray of moonlight which enters through a crack in the ceiling. The mare held her closest friend who is on the verge of death.

“Y-you… you’ve got to g-get out of h-here,” a severely injured grey skinned colt said in a stuttering whisper.

“Please Lysar, save your energy. I will never leave your side,” replied the yellow skinned mare that held him in her arms.

She looked down at him. He bled profusely from a large gash in his right side. One of his wings which was barely holding on by but a small patch of skin, was also gushing out the red liquid. They laid there, in the center of the room with the one small beam of light shining down on them.

“I-I-I’m going to d-die anyway. I will join th-the o-others that sur-surround us. B-but yo-you can still li-live. P-p-please g-go worry a-about your-yourself.,” uttered Lysar, his lips barely moving.

“But I don’t want you to die!" shouted the yellow pony.

Tears began to form in her eyes as she brought the colt closer to her in an embrace.

“I’m s-so s-s-sorry, but I-it has to happen. O-one way or an-another. But d-don’t you w-w-worry. I won’t f-forget yo-you ma j-jolie o-o-oxalis jaune.”

With that, Lysar took his final breath and died. Tears filled the mare's eyes, and she began bawling over his lifeless body. She always loved It when he used her name like that. Oxalis was her name and she couldn’t help but cry when he used it in his final words.

She had been crying for at least forty-five minutes when the mare finally decided to stop. Her red and yellow mane was soaked in her tears. She knew what she had to do. Which was to follow Lysar’s last bit of advice. She knew that the Equestrian soldiers would more than likely kill her if she were to be discovered by them. Wiping the tears from her eyes, the mare slowly got to her hooves and looked around her. The colt was right when he said that he’d join the many fallen souls because the room was littered with corpses. She knew that she couldn’t take him with her and that he wouldn’t want her to. So Oxalis slowly walked away from Lysar’s body and climbed up the stairs. Reaching the top of the stairwell, the mare turned around slowly and whispered,

“Rest in peace.”

She kept moving forward and never looked back again.