• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 378 Views, 3 Comments

Baleston Days - LordOfTape



Sometimes life can just be a busy mess of everything you don't want to deal with. Sometimes, school, friends and your dreams don't all plan on going in the same direction. Sometimes you get bucked in the face and humiliated. But you gotta g

  • ...
 3
 378

Meet The Mess (Part V)

The beat bumped from the stereo system. Every head in the audience turned to face the stage, anxiously awaiting the competitor’s vocals. Several of the more rowdy ponies were banging their heads to the beat and starting small mosh pits. Zeko looked down at the microphone in his hoof, watching it wobble back and forth as he trembled. He tried to look back up at the crowd, but each time he did, their mocking glares shattered what little concentration he had left.

Slowly, he lifted the microphone to his mouth.

“M-m-m-my name is…my name is…” he stuttered.

“What’s that? Can’t hear you ze-ze-zebra boy?” Pyrox ridiculed.

The beat continued on, even without Zeko rapping to it. Most of the audience was in an uproar laughing at his failure. Zeko wasn’t sure if he could handle much more of the humiliation, but was too scared to step off stage.

Realizing his opponent wasn’t going to move, Pyrox levitated the mic out of his hoof. A cruel grin cracked its way up Pyrox’s face. The delightfully oppressive unicorn waited for the next downbeat before he unleashed himself on Zeko.

“The hell bro? Your mind must be slow
Ready to blow, but just stood there choked.
Think ya can rap, but just spit shit and crap.
This here stage is a trap for your ass.
Think you're friends with Levol?
He’ll just revel in your misery. You’re slithery
Like a snake tryin’ to escape the stage
This must be fake. A dream it seems
Y’see this is what happens if ya mess with me
Showin’ my supremacy. Yeah I’m a pretty menacing
You sicken all of us
Stricken with fear. I caught your bluff
But enough is enough. You’re not tough
You’re a frickin’ striped freak
Who thinks he’s an emcee
But whose lyrics are empty”

Pyrox dropped the microphone on the floor. He chuckled and just shook his head at Zeko. Versal was laughing hysterically behind Levol. He even managed to fall over he was laughing so hard.

“That – ahahaha – that’s what you’ve trained him to be!?” The antagonizing pony laughed.

He took this opportunity to stamp down on Versal’s leg with his back hoof, making Versal jolt up in pain.

Code Levol shot him the death glare, “Shut up Versal.”

Currently unable to get up, Versal could do nothing but smile back at him. “Have fun.” He joked.

The music cut, and Vinyl looked down at the poor zebra with sympathy. She knew he was the one that Levol was trying to find, and now understood why. Unfortunately, it was her first night DJing for the rap battles and she wasn’t sure if she should get involved.

The crowd cheered exuberantly for the victor of the battle, and Pyrox took his time to revel in it. Zeko was too dumbfounded and distraught to move from the stage, which didn’t help the excessive jeering.

Before anything worse could happen, a dark blue hoof stamped on stage. Without the music, the resonant stage floor carried the sound around the large room. Though the crowd did not cease its boisterous mockery, many eyes did come to the stage once more.

An emotionless blue pegasus walked across the stage. As with any new object, he became the center of attention for the crowd. For some he was a familiar face, for others a new experience and for others still, a nightmare to be relived. At least, that’s what he would like to fancy himself as.

Without a second glance, he used his wing to scoop up the microphone from the floor while he walked over to the booth. He leaned over the front and whispered something to the two ponies sitting behind it. The bright, neon maned unicorn nodded his head.

Again, the music started to play. When the down beat hit, the pegasus let loose a torrent of bars down on Pyrox.

“Oh I’m sorry, what’s the ringing in my ear
Sounds like a dunce is tryin’ to grind gears
A little unicorn, who’s born without a working horn
So it only serves as an annoyance just like a thorn
Now this thorn in my side thinks he’s good
Thats funny, when did good become should
Go die, go ahead try and give it a second time
No lie, I’ll let you, go ahead py
Tounge tied? Thought so
Doubt you will ever leave a mark though
I spark those, lines like a typewriter
On fire, your situation is dire
So leave Zeko alone, just go home
Or ill hafta rap my lyrics, tap tap, on your dome
So go zap yourself out, your boss is there waiting
Bet it feels like shit to be number two, just sayin’”

There was no shortage of noise after his performance. It ranged from applaud to booing to confusion and more. Although there was no clear tone in the room, one thing had been made evident and that was Pyrox’s rage.

“What, you think you can just come on stage without expecting me to retaliate? I’ll burn you, Levol!” he shouted, fuming.
Levol was more than ready to take on Pyrox for a second verse, but was interrupted by the sensation of having the microphone ripped from his wings.

Versal limped to the stage, carrying the stolen microphone with his magic. He scowled at Levol, but a hint of satisfaction hid behind his visage. “Let it go Pyrox. This clown doesn’t know the first thing about rapping.”

Turning to the booth, he called out to Dubious, “Hey Trance, get that beat back on track!”

Levol looked at the red unicorn with somber disbelief. Surely he wasn’t going to start up an entire battling cypher with this madness. Levol just wanted grab Zeko and leave, but he knew well enough that you can’t step down from a battle once you were called out. Versal must’ve known what Code Levol was thinking, because as soon as the downbeat hit the speakers, he lit up.

“Now... You know the name don’t even need to say
Cause I’m universally known for the words I spray
When I get on the mic spitting people stop and take a listen
When you hop on people start a dissing
Like “Levol? The same one in class
Taken a snooze in the back? Steady acting a ass?”
MC? I’m not seeing it
You not a ninja, I’m just not believing it
A pegasi I hear your roommate is higher then you
After this ass kicking should I get you a pillow too?
After all that’s the only time you’re winning
In the one place that your dreams always seem to be living
Now a simple mission for me is a simple test
I’m the best when I spit it then my case rest
Just like your zebra friend though I have to admit
He choked, but he did better than this one trick”

Finished, the satisfied unicorn tossed the microphone up in the air. Levol was quick to snatch it up with his wing before it hit the floor. He knew Versal was trying to make him angry, and tried to keep himself calm.

The crowd stood tense under the tension. There was a light murmur, but everypony kept it low, waiting for the response.

Levol was completely serious now and didn’t hold anything back.

“Woah, woah, wait up, lemme get this
You think something you said would get me pissed?
I’m too back for that, don’t be tellin’ me crap
This is a battle, but I’m getting’ ready for a nap
You’re boring, all your lyrics just leave me snoring
I’m a pegasi, yeah, I can fly, you call me Soarin’
I’m like a wonderbolt, you dolt
And my lyrics will snap you like I crack a thunderbolt
Sure I sleep in class, and my friends like the grass
But that doesn’t mean I wanna deal with your whack ass
And leave MC Zeke out of it
Your beef’s not with him, don’t get me shoutin’
I’m better than you on all accounts
In fact, I don’t see you passing math, can you count?
Yeah sure, you’re universally known
But not for being good, for sucking, your mind blown?”

Eruptions of sound came from all corners of the party hall. Shouts for Versal and Levol continuously overpowered each other. Pyrox and Versal stood together on one side, standing triumphantly on stage. Levol stood on opposite to them in front of Zeko, trying to keep him hidden from the others, as if he actually could.

Dubious whispered something into Vinyl’s ear, and she walked out to the stage. Levol politely hoofed her the microphone.

“Alright party ponies, was that not the best show you’ve ever seen!?” she roared to the crowd.

The crowd roared back with unintelligible responses. Vinyl took that as a yes.

“So which side won? We got Levol on this side!”

The room shook with cries of approval and enthusiasm. Levol’s eyes shifted slightly to see Versal’s expression. He thought he would’ve been worried, but Versal was just standing there feeling good about himself.

“Aight, aight, I can literally feel the love for these guys. Now what about Versal?”

To Levol’s chagrin, the crowd cheered just as much as they did for him, if not more. Versal and Pyrox simply hoof bumped and stepped to the front of the stage.

Snatching the mic from Vinyl’s hoof, Versal addressed the crowd “See ponies? This clown doesn’t know a damn thing about rapping! I’m the best, and don’t you go forgetting that!”

With the crowd still in cheers, Levol grabbed Zeko by the scruff of his neck and pulled him off stage. He didn’t want anything to do with a ‘good-game hoof shake’; not with Versal at least.

Shamed, losing an important battle for his friend’s honor, Levol just wanted to go back to his dorm. So that’s just what he did. Silently, he walked back behind the curtain and headed for the door.

“I’m sorry Lev.” Zeko moped.

Levol stopped walking, his muscles tensed a bit “Don’t call me that.”

Zeko bit his lip “Right, I’m sorry. I just, I thought I was ready.”

Raising a hoof to his face, Levol just shook his head. “Next time, just listen to me when I say things, aight Zeke? I know what I’m talking about.”

“But I was able –”

“No Zeko, you weren’t. I know rap and I know performing, you weren’t ready for the stage.”

“Apparently neither were you.” Zeko snorted in anger.

The pegasus’ red eyes flamed in heightened intensity. His hair began to stand up and darken. His coat started to shift from its normal dark blue to a brick red color. His breaths became frequent and loud. Face muscles tightened, his left eye twitching sporadically.

Levol’s mind started to blur out. He was losing control of his body, unable to even tell where he was. His vision started to spin, and the flashing lights didn’t help much. Senses scrambled, a new consciousness awoke to recapture sanity.

“Shut. The. Hell. Up.” The new being growled.

Zeko’s legs trembled similarly to how they did on stage, “Oh shit, Code Red.”

Without another word, he turned around to run. Unfortunately for the terrified zebra there were three ponies standing behind him, blocking his exit.

“Where ya headed MC Zeke?” Pyrox cackled.

“Out, I want out.” He trembled, not even hiding the fear.

A large brown alicorn nodded at Pyrox and the unicorn stepped to the side. He hadn’t been present on the stage, but was often seen hanging with Versal. He was also a rapper, and was known for his prominent enormous afro mane.

Versal spoke up, “So Levol. About my leg earlier.”

Levol didn’t say a single word, but turned around with impressive speed and knocked Versal in the jaw with his forehoof. The arrogant unicorn took the blow and forced his head forward against the force of the hit.

Disgust in his eyes, Versal used his horn to blast Levol away with a pulse of magic. Instead of falling over, he only managed to skid his hooves across the floor. Both ponies were filled with a vengeful drive to fight, but neither was entirely sure what the other could do.

Versal spat a pellet of blood to the floor, “Impressive Levol, I didn’t think you had it in you.”

“Call me Red.” He replied before flashing his wings.

In a flash, the pegasus bolted into Versal, smashing the both of them into the floor. Versal’s two companions jumped to pull Red off of him. Both legs kicked out, stopping them from advancing any further. Still, it was enough of a distraction for Versal to concentrate on his magic again.

The sly unicorn faded into the floor, leaving a black pool of wispy shadows behind. Red jumped up, trying to get his bearings.

“Too scared to fight me Versal?” he yelled to the nothingness.

“Not quite.” An undetectable voice whispered.

Red looked around, but couldn’t find its source. Hooves appeared from black holes all around him, bashing him all over his body. He had no way of blocking it, so instead he just covered his head. Versal’s onslaught from the shadows didn’t cease. Red tried to move, but each step led to another spot being opened up.

Finally, he lashed out with one of his hooves, hoping to hit Versal through the portals. He had no such luck and only managed to get himself knocked to the ground.

Content with his physical victory, the antagonizing unicorn reappeared in front of the downed Red. He waved to his two slightly dazed friends to follow him. They complied and the trio began their departure.

Red raised his head, desperate to protest, but Pyrox kicked him before he could say anything. Red watched the three walk away as his sight faded to black. As he passed out, his last thought rang inside his mind.

‘Shoulda just smoked with Kush.’

Author's Note:

only one more part to go for meet the mess. hope yall enjoyed the rap battling.
special credit to Pyrox and Versal for their own battle lyrics.