• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 2,309 Views, 37 Comments

The Miracle of Flight - TheDorkside99



Pinkie's life hangs in the balance, while Applejack fights for her own life.

  • ...
10
 37
 2,309

Part 1

You lied to me, Applejack.

W-what?

You said that flying would be one of the greatest feelings on earth.

I-I…

You said it would make me a happy wappy pinky winky.

I’m sorry, sugarcube.

You lied.

I’m sorry.

Liar.

“I’m sorry!”

Applejack sprung from her bed to the annoying sound of her digital alarm clock. Hot sweat stuck the hard working pony and forced her to get out of bed. She walked to her window to stare out into the overcast clouds hugging the snowcapped mountains of the Equestrian horizon. She gave a long sigh and made her way down stairs.

“Mornin’, AJ,” said Big Mac, sitting at the kitchen table having a cup of coffee with his morning paper.

Applejack sat across from the red workhorse and glanced uneasily over the wood grain table. “Big Macintosh, I-I don’t think I’m goin’ today.”

He looked over the newspaper. “You’re jokin’, right?”

“No, I really don’t think I should go.” Applejack made eye contact with her big brother for the first time and felt his frustration over her tired body.

“AJ, she’s your friend.

“But it’s too soon. What if she’s mad at me?”

Big Mac ran a hoof over his wrinkled forehead. “And how in the hay do you know that?”

“How do you know she’s not? She almost died last week because of me.” Applejack lowered her eyes back onto the table.

Big Mac slammed his paper on the table and stood to his hooves. “Dammit Applejack. It’s about time you got off your sorry plot and do something besides mopin’ like a dog with its tail between its legs.”

Applejack stood herself to address her fuming brother. “You ain’t got no right, Big Macintosh. Have you ever been close to losin’ a friend to death?”

“Well, if it’s anything like losin’ a sister to some self-hatin’ depression, then yes I have!”

“Ahem.” Twilight Sparkle entered the kitchen along with Applebloom who let her in. The two older farm ponies stepped away from each other.

“Howdy, Twilight,” bellowed Big Mac.

“Good morning, Big Macintosh. It’s good to see you.”

Big Mac let out a sigh. “I tried to talk to her, but she’s stubborn to the core.”

Twilight cast an empathetic look onto Applejack, who sat slouched over the table with her head buried in her front legs. “Maybe if I tried to talk to her.”

“Be my guest. Confound these ponies, they drive me to…” Big Mac continued his mumblings out into the hallways of the Apple residence, followed by a sniffling Applebloom.

Twilight took a seat next to Applejack. Taking one of the farm pony’s hooves, she flashed a comforting smile and a brow scrunched with concern.

“Applejack…”

“Twilight please. I got my ear chewed out this mornin’ already. I don’t need second helpings.”

“That’s not what I’m here to do, Applejack. I’m here to deliver a request.”

“A request? For who?”

Twilight chuckled. “You, silly! Somepony wants to see you ever since they woke up.”

Applejack lifted her heavy head up to Twilight’s level. “You mean, she’s awake?”

“Yup. And the doctor said the first words out of her mouth were ‘Where’s Applejack?’” Twilight rubbed her friend’s hoof with excitement. “Don’t you see Applejack? She’s doing better, and she wants nothing more than to see you right now.”

“I don’t know Twilight,” responded Applejack, scratching the side of her head. “I’m afraid if I go there, and I see her, I might not be able to handle my feelings. I don’t wanna stress her out more than she is now.”

Twilight chuckled. “I’m pretty sure she’s okay to see you. Otherwise she wouldn’t have asked. Besides, Rarity and Fluttershy have already gone in to visit, and they said she was just fine so you have no excuse missy!”

The orange pony looked out the window. “What about Rainbow?”

Twilight reduced her smile to a nervous grin. “She’s there too, but…”

“Forget it, I ain’t goin’. No way, no how am I steppin’ into the same building with that mare.”
Applejack crossed her arms like a little filly to Twilight’s audible dismay.

“Well, I think she might have actually left,” Twilight stumbled.

“Well, which is it? Is she there or is she not?”

Twilight breathed an impatient sigh. “Does it really matter Applejack? You’re not there to see her. You’re there because Pinkie Pie is asking for you. Please, AJ. Don’t disappoint Pinkie like this.”

Applejack’s narrowed eyes softened to the thought. “Okay, I guess I’ll go. For Pinkie Pie’s sake.”

“I think that’s very noble of you!”

“Yeah, just lemme get my hat.”

* * *

The cloudy day sprinkled the cobblestone streets of Ponyville with a light drizzle. Ponies in raincoats trotted at a rapid pace as they ran their errands, oblivious to the two mares arriving at the Ponyville Emergency Center from Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack finished wiping her hooves on the mat when she saw Rarity trotting her way to greet her.

“Applejack, darling, it’s so good to see you.” After hugging Applejack and Twilight, Rarity pointed a hoof down a hallway. “Pinkie’s room is down that hall, second door to the left. She’s so excited to see you!”

“Uh, yeah,” said Applejack shifting her eyes.

“Is something wrong, my dear?”

“She just had a bit of a rough morning,” said Twilight patting Applejack’s back. “But she’s super excited to see Pinkie for the first time in over a week, right AJ?”

The farm pony flashed a forced smile to her unicorn friends.

“I see. Well, Fluttershy is in there right now, just FYI. And Rainbow…”

Applejack made a light gasp when Rainbow was mentioned.

Rarity cocked her head. “Sweetheart, did something happen between you and Rainbow this morning?”

Applejack sighed. “No, it’s not that. It’s just, well…”

“She’s a filthy horse!”

Yelling from across the lobby, Rainbow Dash cast a hard look at Applejack’s direction. She trotted at a slow pace towards the farm pony.

“Rainbow Dash, what makes you say such nonsense about Applejack?” asked Rarity.

“Why don’t you tell her, Applejack?” Rainbow Dash stopped when she was face to face with Applejack. Her eyes burned with a fervent glare that the farm pony felt rush through her and out into the windy rain. Her weight shifted uneasily amongst her four vibrating hooves. She opened her mouth but could only lightly inhale the sterilized air.

Twilight interceded. “Rainbow, stop it. Applejack’s here to see Pinkie and..”

“Shut up, Twi!” Rainbow snapped.

“Honestly, Rainbow, what possible monstrosity deserves such a rash exchange?” Rarity asked.

“Well, since Applejoke here won’t say a word, I will. The real reason why Pinkie’s here is because Applejack…”

“Um, excuse me Rainbow?”

The four ponies gathered in the lobby turned to see Fluttershy standing behind Rainbow Dash.

“What do you want?”

“Oh, well, actually, it’s what Pinkie Pie wants. Sh-she asked me to, um, tell you to go to Sugarcube Corner and get her a book.”

“What book?”

“It’s called ‘Underwater Basketweaving for Dummies’ and she says it’s on a short table in her room. You can’t miss it.” Fluttershy’s cheery smile was met with a look of puzzlement on everypony else’s face.
“Pinkie Pie, you are so random,” Rainbow mumbled to herself as she walked out the doors of the emergency center.
The cheerful yellow pony shifted her attention to Applejack. “And Pinkie Pie also asked for you, so let’s not keep her waiting!” With that, Fluttershy trotted away with Applejack following.

* * *

“Uh, thanks for gettin’ me outta there Fluttershy,” said Applejack.

Fluttershy and Applejack trotted down the hallway, their hooves echoing a deep sound. Several nurses trotted past them with perplexed looks on their faces, absentmindedly bumping into walls and each other.

“Actually, it was Pinkie’s idea. She heard Rainbow call you, uh, something bad and sent me to make that bogus request.”

“Well, at least it’s good to know Pinkie’s talkin’ again.”

They arrived at Pinkie’s room just when she dozed off into a peaceful slumber. The markings on her wrists had healed so that nopony cringed seeing them anymore. She still sported casts on all four legs and a head wound still penetrated dark red through a woven bandage.

“She looks so peaceful,” said Applejack.

“Yes, she does appear much more peaceful than earlier.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” Fluttershy began. “Pinkie was having some trouble swallowing food. She was choking on a piece of cinnamon roll during breakfast and I had to get the doctor’s attention right away, Of course they took forever to respond. It was very scary.” Fluttershy paused a moment. “I’ve never seen Pinkie cry so quietly before.”

She looked up to find Applejack’s eyes welling up with tears.

“I’m sorry Applejack. I shouldn’t have said that. Oh, I’m such a loudmouth.”

Just then, Pinkie coughed lightly and opened her eyes. She caught sight of Applejack and immediately her eyes lit up like a sunny day.

“I’ll leave you two alone now,” said Fluttershy as she walked out of the room.

“Fluttershy wait…” said Applejack.

“Apple…jack,” said Pinkie Pie, the sting of the lodged cinnamon roll causing a rasp in her voice.

“Now don’t you talk, Sugarcube. We don’t wanna irritate that throat any further now.” said Applejack, taking a seat on the crinkled hospital bed. She noticed Pinkie trying to touch her with her cast-laden leg, but Applejack instead took Pinkie’s hoof and caressed it’s rougher exterior.

Moments passed, and Applejack was struggling to smooth out the kinks in Pinkie’s kinky mane with a hairbrush.

“Consarn it. Don’t these hospital pony folk know how to take care of their patients’ mane?”
Pinkie shrugged and flashed a weak smile.

“I mean, I guess I can’t expect too much from a bunch of buckin’ idiots who take forever to help a chokin’ patient, right?”

Pinkie’s smile vanished into a blank stare.

“And don’t even get me started on the crap they call food that they serve here.” Applejack’s exasperation transferred over to her smoothing, trying to force-pull the most resistant parts of Pinkie’s mane.

Pinkie gave a light gasp.

“The least they could do around here is serve actual cinnamon rolls and not rocks that get stuck…”

Before Applejack could finish, Pinkie blew a raspberry at the farm pony’s direction. She cast an angry glare at her bothered hairdresser.

“Did you just blow a raspberry at me?” asked Applejack, letting the brush hit the linoleum.

Pinkie’s eyes softened to a playful glance. The two friends broke into laughter.

“Okay, sugarcube, I’m sorry. I’ll stop bein’ a hardplot.”

Pinkie gave a light sigh. She wiggled into a more comfortable position and cast a warm glance at Applejack. Goosebumps ran down the orange pony’s back as she struggled to find words.

“Pinkie, about the accident, I just wanted to say that I didn’t know that…”

She was interrupted by another flurry of Pinkie’s raspberries.

“Pinkie honey, lemme finish. I’m sorry I…”

Pinkie again interrupted with stronger flurries of raspberries, which Applejack wiped off of her face.

“Pinkie, are you gonna let me apologize or what?”

Pinkie shook her head and held out her front legs as much as she could.

“What are you doin’, girl?”

Pinkie continued to reach forward, wincing with every closing inch.

Applejack started to tear. “I-I just want to tell you how sorry for how stupid I was to let you inside and think it was a good idea to…”

Before Applejack could finish, she felt a pair of coarse legs wrap around her. She noticed that Pinkie managed to sit up in her bed and lock in an embrace that silenced and paralyzed the repentant pony. After a few moments, Pinkie released Applejack from her hug and held her friend’s hoof. Their eyes met amidst the warm sunshine sifting through the sprinkled window of the lonely hospital room.

“Pinkie,” Applejack said, a smile beginning to form on her face.

Pinkie returned the smile, but before it could lighten the room with it’s presence, the sting of the former obstruction caused her to cough uncontrollably.

“Pinkie, what’s wrong?” Applejack said.

Pinkie lifted a hoof weakly towards the other end of the room.

“What? Is there something over there?”

Applejack began trotting to the other side of the room. Pinkie continued coughing until she threw herself on the bed and began convulsing violently.

“Oh my stars! Don’t worry, sugarcube, I’ll get the doctor in here in a lickety split!” Applejack bolted out of the room leaving a distressed pink pony coughing viciously. Applejack ran up to the lobby and found the front desk manned by a young nurse reading a magazine.

“Excuse me, miss. My friend’s coughing like crazy and she needs help!” Applejack said breathing heavily.

The young nurse waved her front hoof in a shooing motion. “Find her doctor then, I’m not in charge of the room’s right now.”

Applejack fumed. “Now you listen here, you! I need you to get your plot into my friend’s room or I’ll send you to room whether you’re in charge of it or not!”

The nurse looked up from her magazine and clicked her mouth. “You better shut your stupid hillbilly mouth or I’ll call security on you.”

Applejack grunted in frustration and ran back to Pinkie’s room. She stopped dead in her tracks at the entrance when she saw Rainbow Dash feeding Pinkie Pie through a bottle of something she didn’t recognize.

“Rainbow, what are you doin’?” Applejack asked.

“I’m giving Pinkie Pie her throat medicine, Applejack.”

“But, where’d you get it?”

“From that desk right next to you,” replied Rainbow with a disgruntled tone.

Applejack recognized the desk was where Pinkie was pointing at while she was attacked by coughs. She looked over at Pinkie who sucked on the bottle with her eyes closed with relief. When she finished her bottle, Rainbow walked to Applejack and thrust the empty bottle in the earth pony’s chest.

“Why don’t you make yourself useful and throw this on the way out?”

Applejack stumbled. “B-but, I…I didn’t know this was for her throat.”

Rainbow scoffed. “Yeah, Pinkie was only pointing at it the whole time she was coughing to her death. And you left her alone? What the hay, Applejack.”

“I was looking for the doctor, Rainbow. “

Applejack and Rainbow locked angry gazes. Pinkie interrupted the tension with light sobbing, which prompted Rainbow to bolt to her side.

“Why don’t you just go before you almost kill her a second time?” said Rainbow as she caressed Pinkie’s mane, reknitted from all the commotion.

“I-I…” Applejack bolted the room in a flood of tears.

Pinkie stretched out her hooves towards Applejack’s missing presence.

Rainbow shushed the struggling pink pony. “Now now, Pinkie, don’t overwork yourself. That stupid blonde isn’t here to hurt you anymore.”

Applejack stood outside of the emergency room as ponies walked in and out oblivious to the pony’s cheeks moist with regret. The sky above her recoiled into a fierce downpour of cold, wet rain soaking her blonde mane. She turned and slowly made her way to Sweet Apple Acres, her tears and the pounding rain becoming one.