• Published 1st Jan 2013
  • 1,809 Views, 95 Comments

Archonix's scraps and bits - archonix



Scraps, ideas, deleted scenes, stuff I might work on, or won't work on, or might throw out to others if they're interested.

  • ...
4
 95
 1,809

PreviousChapters Next
Brynstingr Excerpt 1

Across the city, echoing between the slender towers of Canterlot Palace, between the ancient streets and walls, a lonesome bell sang of mourning.

It had rung for three days, without rest, each sonorous chime sounding the moment the previous had fallen away to silence. Throughout the city, ponies crowded the streets, living out their lives to the sound of shuffling hooves and rumbling carts, but unspeaking except for the barest of necessity.

In silence, Equestria mourned.

Celestia was gone.

None knew how, few knew when, save that four days prior the sun had shaken itself and faltered in its course. Even then it had been only the most observant who had seen it. The next day the city had been flooded with soldiers, veterans in bulky battle armour that clashed with the slender ceremonial wear of the palace guard, and news spread that Cadance had returned from the north, and Twilight from the south.

Rumours rose and spun like whirlwinds; of a coup, of Luna rebelling once more, of Cadance breaking centuries of chastity to take a new consort. Civil wars, invading hordes, political intrigue.

Then, as the sun had reached noon, the announcement had been made. Princess Twilight, bereft of the vivid crimson cloak that had become an icon in its own right, had risen to the throne to announce the dreadful truth.

Princess Celestia, she said, had been taken from the world. The sun would not falter; its care had passed to Luna, and shortly would pass to Cadance. Nothing more of the death was spoken, save that Celestia had not died alone.

The bell had chimed first when Twilight turned her back to the assembled crowds and descended the dais.

Author's Note:

This was part of a planned prequel to Succession, one that would have explained some of how the world became what it was.

PreviousChapters Next