• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 708 Views, 8 Comments

Whatever It Takes - RedScarWolf



Scootaloo fails to learn how to fly and in a blind panic to not disappoint her idol, she runs away.

  • ...
0
 8
 708

The Best Laid Plans... (v2)

"Where is she, where is she?" said the young, orange filly, as she blazed trough Ponyville on her trademarked scooter. She eyed the sky and looked for the only rainbow maned pegasus she knew of. This was going to be the day she finally impressed her, the day that Rainbow Dash would take her under her wing and teach everything she knew. Scootaloo just couldn't wait, she had even gotten up extra early just to make sure she was ready in time.

"My roses!"

"Look out!"

"Watch my cabbages!"

Oblivious to those that cried around her, she spotted her target. High above the "Books & Branches" library was Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle, they were both upon a cloud and deep in discussion. Or at least Dash had been nodding ever now and then to Twilight’s stream of magical jargon. As focused the two were though, a loud bang rang out as Scootaloo slammed to a halt into the library's sign, and in doing so she had successfully gained the attention of the two as well as every other pony in the vicinity.

"Whoa, Scoots, you alright?!" Dash yelled with concern and flew down to her. Twilight followed in flash of purple light and appeared next to Scootaloo. She went to help the filly up only to be knocked out of the way as Scootaloo charged under her.

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash, I finally found you!" Scootaloo screamed at Dash, much to her displeasure, as well as those that gather around her crash site.

"Why are you yelling, squirt?" Dash replied with only the slightest bit of agitation. She hovered over the filly to help Twilight up, only for Twilight to be pushed aside by Scootaloo.

"Rainbow Dash, I need to show you something awesome! Can you please, please, please meet me in the fields near the Everfree at dusk?!" the spirited filly asked.

Dash glanced at Twilight, who was now upside-down. "Um, sure, I don't see why not. We should be done by then, right Twilight?"

Twilight rolled over and had finally gotten on her hooves. "Actually, you can go now if you need to Dash. I'm certain I can finish modifying this Cloud Walking spell on my own." she twinkled with confidence.

"NO! It has be at dusk!" Scootaloo protested, a little too loudly, and stomped a hoof to emphasize. "It's super important, I won't be ready until dusk."

"Okay, okay, dusk it is." Dash said with a little more impatience than she meant.

"Thank you so much, I Pinkie Promise you will not be disappointed!" Scootaloo beamed at her and quickly performed the motions. "I'll go check and double check to make sure everything is ready, so please be there at dusk."

"Squirt, calm down. I heard you the first time, I'll be there." Dash rolled her eyes at the filly's exuberance. When she looked back Scootaloo was already gone.

-----------------

Off like a rocket, Scootaloo had propelled herself towards her destination. It was perfect for what she wanted to show Dash, and that being her greatest achievement. It wasn't a cutie mark but it was something just as amazing. She had finally done it, she could fly! Or at least hover, but hovering was enough considering the area of her demonstration. There are plenty of hills in that area and, along with a ramp Apple Bloom built for her, she should have no problems with actually flying.

"I really need to thank Apple Bloom for that ramp" Scootaloo said out loud as she sped along "but I'll have to do that tomorrow. I hope her and Sweetie Belle understand, this is something I want to do on my own. I just know Rainbow Dash will take me under her wing if I show her how awesome I can be!"

Scootaloo arrived at the field with the ramp, she slowed to a stop and walked her scooter to the little sign she had made. It marked the position of where she needed to start her descent in order to gain enough altitude to test her theory. Luckily, she didn't have much to worry about if she didn't make it the first couple of times, the ramp was lined up with a small pond that would surely catch her if she messed up. "Have to thank Sweetie Belle as well, she did demand Apple Bloom build the ramp in front of that pond. I know I won't need it, I'll totally ace it the first time."

After she had checked that the ramp was still in a sturdy condition, she made her decision. She got on her scooter, started to flap her wings as fast as she could, and off she went. She raced down the hill, grass and flowers kicking up as she went. She hit the ramp at speeds that she loved and let go of her scooter as she launched into the air. "I knew it! I'm flying!" she shouted at the top of her lungs, only to be knock off balance by a downdraft right into the pond.

Scootaloo broke the surface and swam to the edge, she stood in disbelief "Shoot, stupid wind, I totally had that! I'll get it this time."

So she tried again, and again, until dusk loomed right around the corner.

-----------------

"No way, No Way, No Bucking Way!! This isn't happening, what in Tartarus is wrong with me! I've been able to do this for a week! Why won't this work now!" the disheveled, soaking wet Scootaloo cried out.

Panic, all she knew was panic. It was less then an hour from dusk, Dash would be there any minute, and not once was she able to fly, or hover, or even glide for that matter. Panic consumed her entire being, she didn't just promise her number one idol, she "Pinkie Promised" her. She can't break a "Pinkie Promise", she heard what happens when you do, and she never wants to go though that.

"What do I do? I’m going to let down Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie as well, Pinkie's her best friend. Rainbow Dash will hate me, I know she will, what do I do?!"

That's when she saw Dash in the distance, she was lazily floating out of Ponyville on a cloud. This was also when everything in Scootaloo’s mind shattered and she blindly ran toward the Everfree.

Author's Note:

Okay, first story ever, don't hold back. Any grammar issues, any spelling, any anythings tell me about. I am trying to keep the characters in character, or at least as much the my plan will let me. This is pretty much going to be a look into what I think the Gryphon Empire is like, granted I won't be starting that until chapter three (which I hope I will have done by next week). Also, there will be some time skips, the first one will be staring in chapter four, it will be a three year skip, but not much would be happening in those three years, so they are not important. Other than that one, all the other skips will (hopefully) less be than a year. I will also probably have to change some tags later on, but I will try to keep this as a "lite" dark adventure story.