• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 1,346 Views, 29 Comments

Shattered Wings - CleverlyDmented



True love prevails as Fluttershy does eveything in her power to save the one she loves.

  • ...
4
 29
 1,346

Love Untold

The sun hang high above the small town of Ponyville. Fillies and colts ran around playing, and many ponies found comfort on blankets at the park, enjoying picnics with their families. For the last three days, rain poured down, halting any activity outside of homes and business. Today, however, the sky was perfectly clear thanks to the weather team. All was peaceful.

Fluttershy, a timid pony never too quick to join in crowds, chose to stay home today. The aftermath of the storm had left a terrible mess, harming the homes of many of her woodland friends. She sang happily as she worked to clean out burrows and remove debris from the stream. The animals helped out, pulling branches out of rabbit holes and piecing back together ruined nests.

Angel Bunny nestled lazily in Fluttershy's mane. It was his favorite place to relax when he didn't feel like working.

"Now Angel, you're going to have to come out and help eventually"

The small bunny Hmph'd, snuggling deeper into her pink mane.

The day dragged slowly by as Fluttershy worked. Branches began to pile up as the burrows and holes were cleared out. On the horizon, the tell-tale violet hues coloring the sky signaled that night was getting closer. There were still a few things that needed to be done, but there was no way she could do them on her own before nightfall.

It was at this time that a familiar figure broke through the cloudline. "Fluttershy!!!" The voice was one that always sent shivers down her spine, not because it bothered her, but because she loved it.

Rainbow Dash landed neatly on the ground, seconds ahead of the wind that followed her. It rustled her rainbow-colored mane lightly as she smiled at her old friend. "Hey ya, Fluttershy. I didn't see you in town today, so once I finished clean-up with the team I headed here to check on you. I guess you've been doing a bit of cleaning on your own. Need any help?"

Dash spoke with such confidence. It had always been one of her defining features, and possibly contributed to Fluttershy's deep affection for her. Ever since they had met at the Cloudsdale Flight Academy, the two had always been the best of friends. Dash's brash and headstrong attitude was opposite to the quiet demeanor of her friend, but the difference never hampered their friendship. Rainbow Dash had always been there to defend Fluttershy, and she was truly greatful for it. Why, if it hadn't been for Dash, she would have never even learned her special talent with animals.

"Umm....yes...I would love a little help. See, it's almost night, and umm....a lot of the animals homes are still messy."

"Hey, I got ya. With my help, we'll finish in no time." Dash zipped to the nearest burrow, making quick work of clearing out the rest of the debris.

About an hour passed, and the two ponies finished up with the last of the burrows. Happy that the animals would be able to sleep peacefully, Fluttershy turned to thank her friend, but was instantly dumbstruck. She wasn't good at talking to Rainbow Dash. Being as shy as she was, she found it difficult to hold a full conversation with anypony, let alone Dash.

"T-thank you....Rainbow Dash. I appreciate the help." She looked down. Though the moon had come out, it provided enough light to see each other clearly, and she feared that it would betray her blushing to her friend.

"Hey, it was no problem at all. I wasn't gonna let my best friend stay out here working her tail off all night!" She smiled at Fluttershy. It was unbelievable how oblivious she was to her friends shyness. But to Dash, it was just how Fluttershy was with everypony. "Say, you aren't doin' anything tomorrow are you? I'm free for the day and was wondering if you'd like to go to Cloudsdale with me?"

It was very rare that the two of them got to hang out. When they did, they were usually accompanied by the other ponies. Neither of them really mided it. Ever since Twilight Sparkle had come to Ponyville, the girls had formed a tight bond, and quickly became the best of friends. But, to Dash, Fluttershy would always be her closest friend.

"I don't know...I...umm..." Fluttershy hesitated, but Angel, still lounging in her mane, tapped her softly on the back of the head. "Actually...I would love to go." She gave Dash a cute smile, still trying to hide the blushing.

"Great! I'll meet you here early-ish. I can't wait for us to spend the day together!" She hugged Fluttershy, still oblivious to the blushing, and took off, leaving a small rainbow-trail behind her. Fluttershy sighed heavily as she sulked into her cottage, closing the door behind her.

"Oh, why can't I just tell her! I can't keep acting like that around her. Especially if I'm going to be with her all day!" She paced anxiously around the living room and kitchen of her cottage as Angel prepared two bowls of salad. He stopped to stare at her, tapping his foot.

Fluttershy had always told Angel everything, so naturally she would've told him her true feelings about Rainbow Dash. From the time they had met at Flight Academy, Fluttershy had held very strong feelings for her. Dash saw her as her closest friend, but to Fluttershy, Dash was so much more. It killed her not being brave enough to open up. She was so afraid that if she told Dash how she really felt, she would end up losing her best friend. She held on to the hope that, one day, Rainbow Dash would tell her that she was in love with her. That thought is what had kept Fluttershy from falling apart for so long.

"Don't look at me like that Angel. You know I can't risk ruining our friendship. She just means so much to me. It would kill me if I lost her"

Incontent, Fluttershy continued to pace around the house, fretting over spending a day with the mare that she loved.