• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 1,198 Views, 45 Comments

The bird in the crow family - InedibleBeef



Two rebel fighters are teleported into equestria where they both will overcome their traumatic past to face the future.

  • ...
1
 45
 1,198

You cant have my memories!

Oh god, Will woke up.

“Hey don’t fucking touch me!” He screamed.

Jay bounced up and took off in a sprint to the sound of his voice. He hoped to god that the doctors had enough smarts to strap him down.

“What the hell? Talking horses? WITH WINGS?!”

Jay burst open a door to a long corridor of rooms. One of the rooms had some of those guards outside hurrying to get inside. Jay figured that was the room Will was in. Another few waves of cursing confirmed it.

With that, Jay ran to the doorway and looked inside. Sure enough, there was Will strapped down to a bed. The guards were just standing there trying to figure out what to do with the screaming alien.

Will looked up at the doorway and saw Jay. “Jay what the hell is this? Am I tripping on LSD or something?”

“No Will, calm down, take a deep breath.” Jay said walking closer to him. “Everything you’re seeing is real”

Will was obviously freaking out “W-what?” he said.

“We got hit by a roadside bomb and it tore a hole through space or something and were now in a world filled with talking horses-

“Ponies” The guard corrected him.

“Right, in a world filled with talking ponies and magic.”

As Jay said that, the other ponies arrived at the doorway. He turned around and noticed them. “Will, meet Princess Luna, Princess Celestia and Princess Cadence.”

Jay could see in Will’s eyes that he was amazed at the sight of the princesses pure beauty.

“Leaders of Equestria, the nation were in right now.” Jay said with his ‘so you better behave yourself’ tone.

“A pleasure to meet you Will.” Luna said, holding out her hoof.

Jay undid the strap holding down his right hand so he could shake her hoof. Will did so, and kept a light grip on her hoof as he shook it. “So, they’re friendly?”

“Will you’re on a life support machine, what do you think.” Jay said flatly.

“Oh, right.” Will said as he realized that he was attached to a life support, and all his wounds were fixed up too.

“Are either of you hungry? I can fetch something if you are.” A nurse said.

“Oh, yes, thank you.” Will said with gratitude.

“Anything for you?” She asked Jay.

“Does water exist here?” Jay asked the nurse.

The nurse was a bit taken aback by the oddity of the question. But she had to remember that he was an alien from another planet and he knew nothing of what or what didn’t exist here. “Yes we have water, I’ll get you some.” The nurse said with a smile.

“Thank you” Jay called out as she left the room. After the door shut behind her, he turned back to Cadence. “So do you have to do the same test on Will? Because his history is no better than mine.”

Will looked at Jay with one of those ‘what the fuck’ faces. “Wait, hold on, what test?” He said out of his utter confusion.

“A test for the amount of love you have inside you. We will look into your memories and relive certain events in your life.” Twilight explained to him.

Will just stared at her blankly. After a few seconds of growing unease in the purple pony, Will just said “No”. Will started to remember everything, how the dead would look at him with their empty eyes, how some would plead for help, what really hit him hard was when his little brother died, the last piece of family he had left just died in his arms. At the thought of this he collapsed his head back onto the pillow and let out a quiet sob.

Jay knew what his problem was; Wills soft spot was always his brother. When he was alive Will would smack the shit out of anybody that would try to harm his brother. Jay put his hand on Wills shoulder. “No” He repeated. “You can’t look at my memories” Jay gave him a light pat. “He’s in a better place”

The nurse came back with a tray loaded with a lot of fruits and vegetables. She hesitated for a moment but cautiously set the tray next to Will and handed Jay a glass of water. Then backed away again into another room.

“We will give him time” Cadence said, feeling great sorrow for Will.

Will let out another louder sob and began to tremble.

Celestia couldn’t take it anymore, the two have seen too much suffering. She felt as if she needed to do something.

“Luna, Cadence can I have a word with you?” Celestia asked.

“Excuse us” Luna said as she walked out with Celestia.

“Please don’t judge me… I felt sorry for him!” Cadence cried in a hushed voice. As soon as they were out of the room.

“I didn’t want to talk to you about that, I wanted to talk to you about helping them.” Celestia peeked through the window in the door. Will was still breaking down. Fluttershy had stepped up to comfort him. “Just look, all we have to do to traumatize them is say the word past.” Celestia said that last word as if it was vulgar.

Luna thought about this, and then remembered something Jay told her in the carriage, We established a port with our allies across the seas to came and take the refugees into safety. “We can help” Luna said with a bit more excitement. “Jay said something about having allies across the seas, and they come to take the refugees to safety! We could do that!”

Cadence thought about this, but shook it off. “That will come later, for now we have to find them a place to stay.” She knew they were fighting a war, and she would love to find out more but they need to get some rest before anything else.

“Agreed” Celestia said, draining her energy a bit. “We should go figure that out now with everypony.” Cadence nodded in agreement.

They both reentered to see Will still a bit shaken but calmed and now eating a few bites off his tray. The other ponies were talking amongst themselves except for Fluttershy, who was comforting Will.

“Alright everypony! We decided on letting Will have some time gathering his thoughts. In the meantime, we will have to find a place suitable for these two.” Celestia said, getting everyone’s attention. “We can’t put them in a hotel, or put them in someplace where ponies come regularly.” With the thought of other ponies in mind, Celestia would also have to introduce them to the public eventually.

“I would be happy to have them in the library, we could temporarily close down.” Twilight said. “We could all make proper introductions and get to know each other.”

All ponies nodded in agreement to the idea. There really was no alternative other than leave them in the forest or hide them in the hospital.

“Its decided then, Will, Jay, we will all stay at Twilight’s home and possibly slumber there if need be.” Celestia said in completion.

“Will, do you think you can get up?” Jay asked him.

“Yeah, but what about the Green machine? We’ve got supplies in there.” Will said.

Jay’s eyes widened as he remembered that the Green machine still had rations, his rifle, a med kit in them. “Shit, you’re right! We need to go back.”

“Is this ‘Green machine’ the dark green piece of machinery that was impaled on a tree?” Luna asked.

Will nearly spit out the peas he was eating. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN IMPALED ON A TREE?” he shouted, snapping everyone to attention. He was definitely back to his normal self.

“Oh yeah, when we teleported, you passed out and we crashed” Jay told him. Will’s face flushed red with anger. “Don’t worry Will, we’ve fixed it numerous times. It’s been more banged up than this before.” Jay said, reassuring his enraged friend. “How far out is the car do you think?” He asked Celestia.

“I’m guessing that a ‘car’ is ‘that dark green piece of machinery impaled on a tree’, and it is about a mile out from here.” Celestia said, earning the blushes of both Luna and Jay.

Jay let out a small laugh at himself. “Yeah, that’s a car. But I might need someone fast to accompany me, we have a lot of supplies in there.”

“Fast?! That’s an understatement for me.” Rainbow Dash boasted, getting a roll of the eyes from Applejack.

“Can you carry some weight with that?” Jay challenged.

“Heck yeah!” She responded.

Jay took off his jacket and his hoodie underneath, down to his brown t-shirt then plopped them by Will’s feet. “Time to go sprinting then” he said with a smile. With that he got up and started making his way to the exit with Rainbow Dash.

Rarity felt a pang in her heart as she saw the shirt Jay was wearing. She almost felt offended by the lack of care in his appearance. “Why did he just take all that off?”

“Well it is the middle of summer, and he was just about to run two miles, and one of the miles he has all his stuff with him.” The orange pony with the Stetson hat said with a slight southern accent.

“Oh I understand that completely darling, but his shirt was hideous! Why would he expose that to anypony?!” The white one cried.

“I take it she’s into fashion.” Will said looking at the orange pony.

“Why yes, in fact, she is a fashion designer.” The orange pony said back.

“Well, that explains a lot” Will said. “So where exactly am I?” He asked nobody in particular.

“You’re in Equestria, a nation on Equis.” The purple one answered.

That’s funny, eqines living in equestria, on planet equis Will thought to himself. “So are you important peop- ponies here?”

“Yes, this is princess Celestia, princess Luna and princess Cadence.” The purple one said motioning to the three princesses. “And we are the elements of harmony.”

“I’m sorry, the elements of harmony?” This was getting more ridiculous by the second. Sending princesses to deal with unknown entities was one thing, now the elements of harmony?

“Yes, the elements of harmony.” Twilight noticed that Will probably had no idea what she was talking about. “The elements of harmony are six supernatural artifacts that are arguably the most powerful in Equestria. Each element represents an element of friendship and will only work if it is used by an individual who possesses the corresponding trait and if they are all used at the same time.”

“Damn” was all Will could say. He sat up to free his legs from the straps.

“So, if it doesn’t bother you too much, what is the war you are fighting?” Twilight asked.

“How did you know about the war?” Will asked quizzically.

“We saw Jay’s memories, and the war” Twilight said shuddering.

“Well me and Jay are part of a revolution, against our president. He invented mind manipulation and mass produced a helmet called the MM2 with the technology built in the helmet, this was issued to every single soldier he had. Then he could control the military’s mind, which meant he could do anything. So a revolution began.” Will said to Twilight, who was scrambling to write down every word he said.

“So what is your world like? I mean, outside of the war.” Twilight asked as she finished writing down what Will had previously been explaining.

“Well honestly, I don’t know much of what’s outside the war. I’ve heard about a few islands where we take refugees and they were really nice. But you should ask Jay about that, he’s been sent everywhere that we could possibly send refugees to.” Again, Twilight taking note of everything.

Will fiddled with the final strap and it broke loose, with that he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stood up. He tried to walk over to the door but the wires from the life support machine tugged on his arm. Will just tore them out and continued on walking.

~~

Jay ran in his biggest possible stride. Rainbow dash soaring above him. He carried all of his things, his rifle and his backpack with everything he packed inside. Wills backpack was thankfully small enough for Rainbow to carry on her back. As for Wills rifle, Jay strapped that to his back because Rainbow Dash couldn’t keep something that loose on her and it not get in the way of her wings. Running this distance even with his backpack was normal for him. Even Rainbow Dash had to admit that he was fast for having only two legs. The hospital was in sight and Jay quickened his pace. Guards talking amongst themselves surrounded the carriages that brought him there. He could see a figure of a humanoid, it had to be Will. Eight ponies followed. He slowed up as he was running past the guards who were keeping a watchful eye on him. As he approached the entrance, he unslung Will’s rifle and tossed it to him. Will caught it as Rainbow Dash came in for a soft landing, struggling to take it off, Will unbuckled the straps and it slumped off Rainbow’s back.

“Thanks guys.” He said. He noticed that the ponies were eyeing his rifle suspiciously. “Don’t worry, I’m not allowed to use it unless I’m under threat” He said, unsure on whether they knew what it was or not. He turned to Jay, who was catching his breath. “Where is the MP-SAM?” He asked Jay.

“MP-SAM? Since when did you have one?” Jay asked back.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you, I installed a small weapons cache in the trunk.” Will said.

“Well still, a MP-SAM plus all the weapons and ammo would be too much to carry.”

“Quick question, what is a empee sam? Twilight asked.

“No, not an empee sam, an MP-SAM a man portable surface to air missile.” Jay said. “It’s general purpose is to disable aircrafts.”

“Another question, what is an aircraft?” Twilight asked.

“An airborne vehicle” Jay said knowing this would take a lot of explaining. “I’ll sketch one for you on the way.”

“Yes Twilight, we must be on our way.” Celestia reminded her.

With that, Jay, Will and the two princesses climbed into the carriage. The other six hitched a ride on Shining Armors chariot.

“So what do you think of these new creatures?” Applejack asked Twilight.

“I don’t know, they seem peaceful, but their war has consumed so much, I don’t know if we should trust them.”

“Their lack of stylish apparel may suggest that they’re very poor.” Rarity said.

“Well, they are rebels. Ah don’t know if their access to fine clothing is their biggest problem.” Applejack suggested.

“Will was normal until we asked to see his past, then he broke down. Maybe his past was even worse than Jay’s” Fluttershy said. “And did you hear Jay say he is in a better place? Maybe he lost someone he loved.”

“Well, the princess told me that Jay lost most his family at infancy, so he couldn’t remember it. She also said that Jay was raised by the rebels.” Twilight said. “So maybe Will’s family died more recently.” Twilight said.

Twilight turned around to see Pinkie Pie with a flat mane staring off in the distance. “Pinkie, are you okay?”

“No!” Pinkie cried “Those two don’t look like they’ve been to one party in their lives!”

“Oh Pinkie, there’ll be plenty of time to do that once they’re settled.” Twilight said. With that, Pinkies hair instantly poofed up to its normal state.

“The only thing I noticed in Jay was that he was really fast, he could put anypony to shame!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“Oh we’ll see about that” Applejack said.

~~

Jay finished up his rough sketch of a CV-22 Osprey. His sketch showed the basics of how it flew and a brief explanation on fuel engines. He had previously drawn a C-130 Hercules and an MH6 littlebird. His sketches interested the sisters, they had thought that he was going to sketch something along the lines of a small compartment with giant wings attached to them.

“What are these things?” Luna asked “How do they work?”

“Well this is a plane” he said, gesturing to the C130 “The power from it’s propellers increase it’s speed until the flaps fold down causing it to lift off the ground.”

“Interesting” Luna said, staring at the paper which he drew the craft. It made perfect sense to her, she was wondering how she didn’t think of this.

“Now this is a helicopter, or a chopper” Jay said flipping the page to his sketch of the littlebird.

“Why a chopper?” Luna asked.

“Because the sound it makes sounds like its blades are chopping through the air.”

That last part didn’t make a whole lot of sense to Luna, but she went along with it.

“Now the helicopter can take off, land and hover vertically because the blades are spinning at such a high power it lifts the body off the ground. The way it move is that is leans at an angle and the blades provide the power to push it in that direction.”

The ‘helicopter’ especially amazed Luna, she wasn’t too hard on herself for not thinking of this before because the design was very complex. The entire page was filled with text explaining the uses of every part.

Flipping over to the next page, the osprey. To Luna, the osprey was the same as a helicopter it just had twin rotors.

“The osprey is a hybrid between the plane and the helicopter, its rotors can face up for vertical take off and landing. But its rotors can also face outwards like a plane for full speed horizontal movement.”

These new vehicles greatly fascinated Luna, she could drop the whole teleportation business and work on building one of these. But it will come another time, for they were almost to Twilight’s library.

“When we get there, I need to tell the pony in command of the guards something.” Will said. “Something to assist in our anonymity.”

“Well, I suppose if there’s someone who knows good tactics, it would be you.” Celestia said.

The carriage came to a sudden stop, one look out the small window of the carriage told Celestia they were at their destination. Shining armor came to the carriage doors to escort the princesses to the tree. Shining armor opened the door for them and stepped back, allowing them to pass. Once they were out of the carriage, Will motioned Shining armor closer to him.

“Are you in charge here?” Will asked him.

“Yes, why?” Shining armor asked.

Will took a rook chess piece out of his pocket and placed it on the floor of the carriage.

“I want your men to spread out in a circle around this library. When you regroup, do it near here, but not directly around the carriages.” Drawing an imaginary circle around the rook.

“And why should I take orders from you?” Shining armor said defiantly.

“Shining armor” Celestia said, poking her head out of the front door.

“Yes?”

“Do as he says”

Shining armor turned to Will and Will winked at him before leaving the carriage, Jay behind him.

Jay had to duck his head to fit inside the doorway, Will being a bit shorter than him didn’t have to duck as much. Inside was the dream of any child, a tree house converted into a legitimate home. Bookshelves lined the walls, overflowing with books. Well, it was a library. The ponies were in the living room, presumably talking about the two humans. Luna was showing Twilight the sketches Jay made on the three aircrafts, explaining all that she knew.

“Oh, there you are!” Celestia said, “Come, sit”

They had saved the biggest couch they had for the two. They sat down, thankfully fitting on the couch. They heard the door shut and Shining armor walked in and sat next to Twilight and Cadence.

“So, we never got the official name of your race” Celestia said.

“Humans, or humanity” Jay responded.

Celestia nodded, Twilight again taking notes.

“So what is you culture like? How do you live?” Twilight asked them.

“Well to be honest, its exactly like yours except more technologically advanced.” Will replied.

“Way more technologically advanced.” Jay added.

“So those big metal sticks, what exactly do they do?” Applejack asked curiously.

“These are called rifles, and they’re like crossbows but the projectile travels ten times faster and the bolt is replaced with this.” Jay pulled back the slide on his rifle causing a bullet to pop out for Will to catch and hold it up so they could all see.

“But there’s no resemblance to a crossbow on that when it comes to looks” Twilight pointed out.

“Yeah they work a lot differently but they do the same thing. A rifle shoots its bullets from a tiny explosion in the back from the gunpowder, blasting the bullet forward.” Will explained showing them the back of the bullet’s shell.

“Is that what killed your friend, Jay? The one you took the necklace off of?” Luna asked.

“Yes, as it has with many others.” Jay said.

“What was that necklace anyway?” Rarity asked.

“Dogtags, used for identifying someone with the rebels, or a dead body. I took them because we had to list him as killed in action.” Jay said, showing off his own tag and his brothers. “This one is my brothers, well, was my brothers”

“Jay, Will said you knew a lot about your world. Can you tell me some things about it?” Twilight asked Jay.

“Well, my world is almost exactly like yours except there’s no magic. And it’s less colorful. But I’ve been to a lot of islands and cities to deliver refugees and they had many different cultures and traditions but as a whole, they were very nice people.”

This reminded Cadence about what Luna said earlier. “If we set up a portal, could you send refugees here?”

“Well yeah, it would be a good idea.”

“Yes, and we could send troops to assist in the war!” Celesta added, turning to Shining armor. “Would you be up for that Shining armor?”

Shining armor thought to himself but it didn’t take him much thought. “I don’t think so, I’m not up for helping rebels.” Shining only earned himself glares from every living thing in the room. “I mean they let their friends die! No good soldier lets their friends die.”

Will has had it with this cocky bastard. “You’ve obviously never been in an actual war have you?”

Shining armor stopped, he never really had been in any life or death situation before. “Well, I um-

Will stood up, towering over the unicorn. “Your entire army would never last a single firefight. And before we even get CLOSE to your skill sets, you wouldn’t last ten minutes with that ridiculous fuckin armor!”

“Will sit down, he doesn’t know anything.” Jay said trying to calm him down.

Will just gave him one more menacing glare before sitting down and taking a deep breath.