• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 1,198 Views, 45 Comments

The bird in the crow family - InedibleBeef



Two rebel fighters are teleported into equestria where they both will overcome their traumatic past to face the future.

  • ...
1
 45
 1,198

Big things have beginnings varied in size

Jay awoke on cue with the light flowing through his blinds. With a jolt, he fully awoke and hopped onto his feet from his folding cot while keeping his noise level down as he always did. Jays abode was as he left it from when he was last awake. Same fading blue paint, same crack in the wall, same old trunk where he kept his personal belongings. Not like clothes or his books, but he kept his memories of his childhood, his home, friends, family and such peace he was so privileged to live in. Hell, even the trunk itself was a memory. The history behind it could be surprising for something as simple as an old trunk.

Jays morning routine was about as simple as his sleeping arrangements. Wake up, wash face, brush teeth, eat, check his supply level and make a plan for his day. His lunch and dinner would only get as much gas or electricity it needed to be made. After a bit of thought, Jay decided to use the sunlight as his lighting. After all, it was quite nice out.

His schedule was already done for today. But unlike many other days in his life he only had one thing to do, check on the refugee camp. If only that one thing was easy.

================================================================================

Celestia closed her eyes and shut out everything around her. She focused all her concentration on her horn. She could feel the great mass of the sun burden her whole. She felt a good grip on it now. With all her might she lifted the great ball of fire into the sky, forcing the moon away from sight. She opened her eyes again to a perfect orange sunrise. Its heat allowed the dew on the grass to rise up along with the sun creating a beautifully executed beginning of her day. However something didn’t feel right, her face twisted into a frown when she started to play I spy with herself. Sweeping the great land before her for an invisible flaw toying with her mind.

“Sister?” A familiar voice came from behind her.

“Good morning Luna” she replied as a smile crossed her face again.

“I must say you did a very nice job rising the sun” Luna said with the same smile.

“I’m about to make tea, would you like to join me?”.

“Of course sister” Celestia said as she turned around and trotted along with her little sister.

================================================================================

Rations…Check
Water…Check
Spare clothes…Check
Weapons & Ammo…Check
Medkit…Check
Jay knew they would have sleeping and food arrangements but come the worst, he needed to be prepared. After stuffing all his things for the trip in his backpack he took a picture of his mother, father and brother. He took a brief look at them, admiring their smiles just for a moment, and fit them into his breast pocket and secured the zipper.

Jay only had his feet to get him places so he relied on the refugees to pick him up. Of course they couldn’t pick him up directly from his hideout, which meant he had to take a dangerous walk through the streets to a rendezvous point. For extra security, he had four routes to the same pick up just outside the city. Jay double-checked his rota to make sure of which route to take this month, route C. He would use the east wing of alleys that weaved through the city. The second fastest route. Jay picked up his handgun on the table put in a fresh mag, pulled back the slide. He did the same with his rifle, and made sure the reflex sight was working properly.

He made his way to the front door and unlocked all three locks and pushed the heavy thing away. Cold crisp air filled his lungs. He stepped down and shut the door behind him. He greeted the same apartment block with a massive hole from a tank shell with the same thing he always does. “Damn, you never do change do you huh?” Jay stepped out into the open steps leading to the street. Jay’s entire view was almost solid gray except every weed from every crack in the ground and every vine growing on every building was a dead brown. The sky was even gray, you could barley make out the sun. The street was almost completely empty except for the occasional trash bag filled with god knows what. Jay took a quick scan up high for snipers before carefully stepping down onto the sidewalk. Jay counted mentally down from three before exploding into a sprint across the street to the into the wrecked office building. He raised his rifle and sweeped left to right ready to open fire at a moments notice.

Once he declared the floor was empty, he proceeded to his right. Dodging hanging cables and debris to the C exit. The same capital C and an arrow in blue paint confirmed he was going in the right way.

===============================================================================
Celestia eased herself in her seat as they passed the transition of rocky to dirt road. “Ahh that’s much better” she said in relief. She couldn’t be sure if she could take any more rough terrain.

“Don’t worry sister, were almost to ponyville.” Luna said as she herself eased her muscles.

“I can’t wait to give Twilight these new spells” Luna said.

“What spells are those anyway?” Celestia asked.

Luna glanced down at the notebook. “Oh it’s nothing, just an improved teleportation spell.” Luna answered back with enthusiasm. “I’ve run into some barriers I can’t seem to overcome.” Luna’s energy visibly drained “At the moment, no test came back with success.

“Test?!” Celestia exclaimed, “Sister that’s quite dangerous, you could get trapped in... in nothing!”

Luna looked at Celestia with a hint of suprise before letting out a laugh. “Oh sister, it’s not me who is teleporting, it’s an inanimate object!”

Celestia’s eyes widened in surprise “Inanimate object? How is that possible? Only ones magic can teleport only the host or other ponies around them.”

Luna couldn’t help but force a smile; she loved to explain new things to other ponies. “It’s nobody’s magic in particular, the magic comes from a charged source like a gem, and it channels its energy to a machine that only knows how to perform a teleportation spell to only one place.” “Can’t you imagine? We could get supplies to towns all across equestria in an instant.

“Wow… you’ve been busy haven’t you?” Celestia said, proud of her sister.

“Oh yes, very” Luna said with a nod.

===============================================================================

Jay had only been sitting in the corner of the bus station for ten minutes before he heard the engine of Wills jeep outside. He quickly stood up from his spot and ran outside to greet the ‘green machine’ as Will called it. He opened the back door and slung off his backpack and put threw it in. he shut the door and took up shotgun seat.

“Hey man!” Will greeted. “Long time no see!

“Heey” Jay smiled and gave Will the casual low five. Will revved the engine and sped out of the gas station and on the freeway.

“Man, nothing beats the old green machines engine” Jay said with a chuckle. “True that” Will said. “So how was your walk?” He asked.

“It went smooth.” He replied. “How was your ride?” He asked in return

“Well it was good except there were a lot of shit piles I didn’t remember being there.” “We might have to keep our eyes peeled, I think the NCC are on the move.”

Jay felt his stomach turn, but eased it off. He knew that he would be at home soon.

“Hey dude, I got some good news for you.” Will said cheerfully.

“What’s that?”

“Johnson might have you come back to New York!”

Jay’s eyes lit up. “Seriously?” He was at a loss of words, he was one of their best just dumped off at White Plains, the shit hole right outside of New York. He loved the idea of coming back home. “That’s awesome!”

“Yeah it took a hell of a lot of complaining, but it was worth it.” Will said. “Some of the kids even chipped in.”

Jay couldn’t believe his ears, could he really go back home? Back to where he belongs? He wanted to start packing immediately, make sure he could clear out of White Plains.

Suddenly, the side of the road exploded right next to the jeep, causing dirt to fly in every direction. The jeep flipped over, smacking Jay’s head against the bulletproof glass. Everything blacked out and all sounds ceased. Am I dead? Jay asked himself. He tried to look around but his muscles didn’t do anything to his command. He felt like a soul without a body. A tiny speck of light opened up in the infinite darkness, gradually getting bigger. Jay saw it and felt himself being pulled towards the light. Again, he tried to scramble away, but this time he had a tiny bit of strength in him. The white aura had eaten up twenty five percent of the dark and Jay felt his body coming back to him. He frantically looked for something to grab on to, finding nothing, he ridiculously attempted to swim away, but it was too late. The whiteness completely surrounded him, and was glowing brighter by the second. The white nearly blinded him before it all disappeared. Jay could tell he was back in real life, but when he opened his eyes, the jeep crashed and closed them again. Jay could hear a constant hum likewise to an ocean. When Jay opened his eyes he got a crippling head rush and colors blotted his vision. A deafening screech struck down on Jay, but only lasted for two seconds before all five of his senses became clear. He looked at the drivers seat to check on Will only to see an empty seat. He frantically looked around, he found Will, he was lying on the ground in front of the jeep. But the world they were in was different. Colors flourished on every plant and animal. The sun shined gloriously, the clouds were works of art, mountains towered over him, the birds sang songs of true peace. Jay felt as if he could lie at rest forever now, but then he remembered Will.

Limping, Jay came to his side and examined his injuries. His left side had a long gash that oozed blood. All else could be easily healed. Jay checked his pulse, he was alive, but he was quickly losing blood through his gash.

“MONSTER!!” Something shrieked, grabbing Jay’s attention, he turned toward the owner of the voice. There was an elegant looking horse drawn carriage, except the horses were small for what they were, they were smaller than him. The horses looked funny though, their faces were, surprised. What really amused Jay was that they were wearing ridiculously expensive looking golden armor. After a closer look, Jay realized that these were no regular horses, these were alicorns. “What is it?” one of them asked.

“Everyone back! Protect the princesses!” A unicorn in high ranked armor ordered.

The doors to the carriage opened and an alicorn stepped out. But this alicorn was such a sight for the sore eyes of Jay, even if she was an unknown creature to him. Her body was white and her hair was a flowing in the same manner of a river, her hair varied in color, a rainbow. It had It’s eyes widened at the sight of the two humans. It mouthed something inaudible. An equally monarchial alicorn stepped behind the white one. This one was completely navy blue on its body and its mane was a lighter shade of navy, in the same river flow of the other alicorn. They both wore tiaras and necklaces with symbols on them likewise to ones tattooed on their flank. Jay almost felt as if he could trust these new creatures, they seemed so, harmonious. Jay stood as tall as he could, causing an orchestra of gasps from the equines. “It… it’s so tall!” one of the guards said.

“You speak English?” Jay asked.

“IT SPEAKS EQUESTRIAN!” another screamed to answer Jay’s question.

“Can you understand me?” asked the tallest alicorn in a soothing voice.

“Yes.” Jay said back.

“Am I… dead? Where am I” He asked

“You are in the land of equestria, and no you are not dead.” Jay’s face twisted. “I am princess Celestia, ruler of equestria alongside my sister, Princess Luna. May I ask your name?”

“Uh, Jay, pleased to meet you.” Jay said sheepishly. “My friend…” Jay voice trailed off as a terrible headache struck him causing him to look disoriented. “My friend is hurt badly and needs medical attention, I don’t want to ask too much, but he might not make it if he doesn’t get help soon.”

Celestia raised her eyebrow. “What about you, you look like you need medical attention.”

Jay looked down at himself, his arms were scarred and three deep gashes ran through his side. “Oh would you look at that” he said to himself “Eh, just a scratch.” He said to Celestia. “Nothing some bandages cant handle.”

Celestia Considered this for a moment and came to a conclusion. “Shining Armor, get a letter to Cadence, tell her to round up the elements and meet us at ponyville hospital.” The newly introduced ‘Shining Armor’ nodded and trotted off. “Lieutenant, get a doctor for the injured creature” Celestia ordered.

“Which one your highness?” The lieutenant asked.

“The unresponsive one” Celestia answered.

“Jay, you can come with us in our carriage, we need to discuss some things.”