• Published 24th Dec 2012
  • 709 Views, 10 Comments

A Late Gift - Iam Atrie



Hearth's Warming isn't always cozy. As Lyra waits in Canterlot after stupidly missing her train, she must prove to a certain dark blue princess that she really does love another mare.

  • ...
3
 10
 709

And Why It's Late

Nononononooooooo! The mint unicorn thinks as she gallops through the crowd. Train 704 to Ponyville is just starting to move forward. Ponies of all colours are waving out the windows, using scarves or rags or just their plain hooves, to say goodbye to their peers or family.

C’mon, c’mon, pleeeease just a few seconds more, please.

Lyra is already charging at full speed, barely being able to lift her sore hooves and barely being able to breath with her cramping and shriveled lungs. Her foggy breath rolls around and off her face, as perspiration falls to the floor, immediately freezing over. She has run at least a mile through the snow and biting wind in an attempt to fix her stupid mistake, but it looks as if she will not make it.

As the train advances more and more, the windows are hastily shut to close off the frost of wintertime Canterlot. Lyra’s heart sinks even further and tears begin to well at her eyes, because she knows this is the last train she’ll be able to catch until after Hearth’s Warming Eve, which is in two days. All of Equestria takes a three day break off of work, so the only way of transportation is lost on the day before, during, and day after the worldwide holiday of harmony.

The crowd instantly thins out and scatters, complete with grunts of cold and annoyed ponies, wishing their friends and family could have just gone warmly, without a proper goodbye. They all wanted to get back home and sit by the fire with their loved ones, sipping some cocoa, and Lyra would love nothing more, but now it’s impossible for her.

The minty mare slows and aims her head to the ground in shame, letting her ears fill with the certain scolding and unforgiveness to come from Bon-Bon. Lyra lets her saddlebags slip off and crash on the ground carelessly. Anything that was going to break is already broken. Her scarf is pulled and untwisted from her neck telekinetically as she takes a seat on the cold concrete. Aside from the train station, the world is covered in a sheet of snow, and Lyra is contemplating whether or not to stick her head in it to hide from the unbearable shame.

Just twenty minutes earlier, Lyra had sat in Cauline’s Quality Coffee, sipping some nice hot cocoa with plenty of whipped cream and marshmallows as she looked out a frosty window. The cool wooden bench for two she had sat on made her miss the company of Bon-Bon, even more than in the past three days she had spent in Canterlot. She was gift shopping there, not wanting anything less than the best for Bon-Bon, after she had been so nice. Well, she was always nice, but that year exceedingly so, Lyra thought.

Feeling heart-achingly lonely, Lyra tried to make some fun for herself by purposely getting some whipped cream on her snout and trying to lick it off. She leaned in to the marble tile table and puts her mouth on the straw, then leaned just a little bit more, dipping her nose in. A little smile grew as she remembered all the times she had done that with Bon-Bon, and she sat back up. Her tongue flicked upwards and snagged the edge of the small white pile, and deposited the spoils in her mouth. This repeated over and over again, at least twenty times.

As she neared the end of the small game, her ears picked up some giggling from the families in front of and behind her, who were also enjoying some nice cocoa. Instantaneously, Lyra’s face froze, turned red, and her heart dropped a notch. She looked towards the ponies, to see that they were all looking at her and giggling.

Her body unlocked and she brought up a hoof to rid of the remaining cream as she looked down to the cold marble table, longing to be anywhere but there. But, she was lazy and it was cold outside, so there she remained.

Ugh, normal ponies. If only you were here, Bon-Bon, you would flip this whole situation around and make them join in... That’s what I love about you... Lyra thought, smiling, wishing even more to be at home. The train should be picking up soon, I’d better get going.

She parted the folds in her scarf magically and floated out her ticket, looking for the time of departure.

4:30 eh?

Swiping a look at the clock, above the service counter, Lyra takes a deep breath. The little hand is on the three, so she had fifteen minutes left.

Yup, I got fifteen minutes still. Fif, teen, mine-youtes. Fife, tane, min-uttes. Yes, that. Whatever that is.

Her mind wandered as she leaned her head to the left a little, closing her eyes. She pictured two days from then, with her and Bon-Bon snuggling up to the fire as they opened each other’s gifts, with the crimson rug they owned becoming softer and softer as they shared each drink, as the fire became more and more pleasant throughout the sleepless night. Snow would lace the outside world, letting the calm moonlight reflect and enter through the windows, fighting with the flickering fire. With each present unwrapped, another lock would be opened in their eager hearts, overflowing their bodies with loving emotions, sending waves of butterflies through them.

Her eyes opened and she sighed, dragging her hoof this way and that across the table. She triple checked her ticket, reading through the whole thing, starting with the company name, skimming over the time, and down to the station number, A-7. Lyra looked to the train station, but interrupted her own view with a pleasant smile when she saw the fresh snow beginning to fall.

Shortly, she reminded herself of the importance and squinted to make out the number on the sign above the station. Although it was difficult for her to see through the frost on the window, it didn’t take all that long to notice that the number on the station number was perfectly vertical. Not curved at all. Station A-1.

No, but that’s... that’s halfway across Canterlot! How am I supposed to get there!

Her heart sunk to her stomach.

She sliced the air with her eyes, checking the ticket once again. Her things flew instantly into her saddlebags and those went on her back as she exited the door, leaving hastily strewn bits and spilled cocoa on the table.

“Thank you!” She yelled back, already running at full speed. She maybe had fourteen minutes to run a mile and a half through snow and crowds of ponies, then still have time to flash her ticket and find a seat.

Lyra rounded the first corner to be surprised by hundreds of ponies pushing and shoving their way to the edge of the main road. The annual Hearth parade! How could she have forgotten!From four to seven every year, the parade goes on and on, and on the day of Hearth’s Warming, the princess sends out the most memorable pictures to every pony in Equestria, sometimes even signed.

She stopped as she came to the crowd and contemplated possible actions. Her head backed up and her hooves shuffled, making her look very urgent. She tried to look over the ponies to see the street, but many of them were taller than her, even if only slightly. Her head shook violently, and without further hesitation, she walked into the crowd, bumping and shoving ponies. In all honesty, she made it to the street much faster than she had thought, but that was because a float was coming dangerously close to the sidewalk. It hit Lyra, bending some of the wire framing, causing a bucket of deep red apples to fall on her. The apples, which Lyra always accused of being fake on the floats, proved to be much heavier and more painful than she expected. A synchronized sympathetic “Ooooohhhh” from the crowd caused Lyra to turn the same colour of her attacker, now that she knew everyone thought she was stupid and in pain.

Shaking it off, she stood and bolted down the road, closely dodging the floats. The frosty air and snow felt like nails, but she continued, trying desperately to keep her saddlebags from slipping off her back. Her hooves were already growing tired and a running cramp sprung up, making her want to slow already. Still low and weak, her heart hammered into her ears and flooded her body with adrenaline. The saddlebags made nothing easier, and had it not been for the many presents and treats, she would have dropped them in an instant. Getting home was much more important than a few pieces of cloth.

The road became wider, giving her more room to run, so she went at full speed, dashing in front of ponies, upsetting them. Station A-2 came into her rushing view, and she looked over to it, but that was a mistake. A blue stallion in front of her had set up a chair to sit on with his foals, and his legs were stretched out all the way, reaching into the road.

Of course, she ran into it and flipped, landing on her neck and back. The rough cobblestone dug into her back a little, making small cuts and bruises, as well as tearing through a few layers of her saddlebags. A little neatly wrapped box fell out, unbeknownst to Lyra, but nothing else. The little blue box with yellow ribbon and bow sat on it’s side, lonely in the street, and watched the damaged mare get up again, dismissing the pain. With a limp and rocky breaths, she charged on. Even though Lyra had not done anything bad, this was her chance to make it all up to Bon-Bon. She just couldn’t afford to miss that train.

The train stations were in positions like star points along the half-circle of Canterlot, with A-1 through A-7 on the north side, and B-1 through B-7 on the south. A-7 and B-7 were right next to each other, but nearly all of the others were evenly spaced out.

Panting and hurting, Lyra continued without real interruption on past the next two stations, but at A-5, she was stopped. Smoke rose from one of the five Fillydelphia floats, but the fire that took place moments earlier had been quickly put out.

About a dozen fireponies stood around, shouting orders and trotting around, sifting some ashes here and there. The float had not been heavily damaged, and nopony was harmed save a few small burns, but a little perimeter of yellow tape and cones had been set up, making the floats go around it nonstop. Lyra had no way around, so there was no choice. There was still about nine minutes left, but walking through a crowd was a risk she was not willing to take.

She stopped, trying to keep calm and catch her breath. Then she waltzed right in, ducking under the tape. The ground was much warmer and easier to walk on, so Lyra did not speed up at all. Or until she got caught at least.

“Hey! You’re not supposed to be in here!” Shouted a deep-voiced mare. Lyra kicked it into maximum and sprinted, but to no success. She was surrounded by fireponies in dirtied golden fire suits, and nearly all of them were running towards her. She strained her tiring body to s go even faster through what she thought would be an opening in the closing circle, however, she forgot that even though there was no snow there, that did not mean that there was no ice.

BAM!

Her head slams into the road, instantly making her world black.

She laid there, with her tattered saddlebags and torn scarf, for a good thirty seconds, surrounded by the firefighting team.

Finally, somepony spoke up, “somepony get some water over here!”

About a minute later, an orange mare trotted over with a bucket in her mouth, swaying and splashing water out as she moved. It was held above Lyra for a good ten seconds, before they all nodded in agreement and dumped it out on her face.

Coughing and spitting from the barely breathing mare followed. Her mind came back to her in a matter of seconds however, so she confusedly asks, “huh? Whay time now? I need to.” And clambers to her hooves, nearly forgetting to pick up her saddlebags.

She gallops off, wobbling. And, well, you know the rest. She runs, gathers her thoughts, and barely misses her train.

So there she sits, in the unusual way she does, and cradles her throbbing head in her hooves. The once very pretty saddlebags just lay there too, no longer having a real use. Bon-Bon will not get her gifts. It will ruin Hearth’s Warming Eve for them for years to come.

Lyra bites her lip to prevent sobs, and a few tears roll down her cheeks. Ponies still surround her, not really paying any attention to her, and the movements are just blurs in Lyra’s eyes.

She screwed up.

Suddenly, she feels a hoof touch her back from behind, making the scrapes sting. She flings her watery eyes around and angrily frowns, wanting to punch whoever is stupid enough to bother her.

“The Princess wants to talk with you,” the white royal guard says, motioning her to stand between him and the dark green stallion, who is next to him. They are both wearing the standard golden armour with blue plums, looking as depressed and emotionless as usual. In the past, Lyra has wondered what their days are like, and why they’re always like that. But today, she is not so empathetic.

“T-The.. The Princess?”

They nod in unison.

Angrily, she stands and gathers her cold items, trying to prevent more tears. Her legs shake, both from fear and exhaustion.

They walk and walk, through the snow, through strange buildings, and finally they arrive at the great halls, where Princess Celestia usually spends her day.

The guards stop at the door and lightly shove her in, producing a small grunt from the unicorn. The large crimson carpet her hooves touch reminds her of home. It was one of the first things her and Bon-Bon purchased, the large red rug in front of the fireplace. It always seems to make things even more cozy in there, and it goes well with the deep brown hardwood floor. So many fantastic moments have been shared there, it really is a comfortable rug.

Her hooves thump softly on the long cloth as she looks to the ground, fearing to look up to the certainly disappointed Princess.

After what seems like an eternity to Lyra, she reaches the royal throne, which looks incredibly large in person. Immediately, Lyra begins muttering a fast paced apology, “ohmygoshprincess I’m sososo sorry I didn-”

“Hush now, Lyra heartstrings,” Celestia interrupts, “it was not I who requested your audience.”

The Princess waves a hoof and looks towards a golden door to her left. Lyra looks to the door suspiciously, then back up to the Princess in question.

“Go on now, please do not keep her waiting,” the great white ruler says gracefully. Without further hesitation, Lyra walks nervously towards what must be Luna’s private quarters. The Princess did not look mad to Lyra, but she still assumes the worst, and thinks she is walking to her punishment. She obstructed many ponies’ view of the parade, damaged a float, and entered a temporary off-limits area.

Her hoofsteps clack loudly on the marble floor as she steps off of the carpet

She reaches the large metal doors and looks back worrily to the princess, who just nods in return. Lyra brings up a tentative hoof, and strikes the door three times, which is answered in the blink of an eye by none other than Princess Luna, who beckons Lyra in with her large majestic hooves. She steps in and makes her way towards the center of the giant quarters, and is closely followed by Luna. The millisecond Lyra enters, her heart soars. It is quite the sight. Of course, she expects nothing less of royalty but, everything just seems... perfect, to Lyra. The large bed could hardly fit in her own living room! The bedspread is a soul-touching midnight blue, with stars scattered across it, complete with a black canopy cover. The room is much like a dome or circus, the walls being covered by a flowing fabric, forming a point at the top. Even the floor is amazing, with it’s spiral galaxies and constellations.

Nervously, Lyra begins her little quick apology, but stops again when Luna’s mouth turns into a slight frown and her hoof raises to stop the talking. She shuts up and looks to the ground, more red than ever.

“Do not fear, my child. We are not here to punish you in any way, w-, no,” she stops herself, “ I, would just like to ask a few questions,” Luna says.

“To... to ask questions?”

“Yes, my dear, I would like to have a small conversation with you. I have been watching you,” Luna continues in her pretty voice.

Greeeeat way to start off a conversation...

Lyra nods her head in agreement as her heart stops rushing, and Luna motions for her to take a seat on her own royal bed. She is immediately flattered that the princess would even let her think about it, so she almost completely relaxes, places her saddlebags gently on the floor, and hops up onto the bed, sitting the unusual way she does. Her hooves find each other instantly, and start fumbling around, making Lyra seem eager.

“We-, sorry, I,” the princess corrects herself. “Was confused about your... lifestyle, I suppose. I am still adjusting to this world, which seems entirely new to me,” Luna chuckles to herself a bit, looking in the direction where the moon should lay at night. “So I am trying to clarify as many things as I possibly can, and one of them, is you and Bon-Bon, Lyra.”

“Oh... that,” Lyra says a little depressively as her hooves come back down to her sides.

“Yes, now like I said, I have been watching you, but do not worry, only since you have been in Canterlot. I was trying to figure out, well, you. I did not want to bring this up directly, as some ponies might think of that as ‘awkward’, I believe.”

Luna chortles a little.

“Yes, that uh... that would be a fitting word,” Lyra confirms, showing a lopsided smile.

“But now, I am just wondering why you missed your train, if you do really love your partner.”

Lyra’s face droops again, and she searches for the words she wants to use, creating more of an awkward situation.

“Honestly,” Lyra starts, her face making a regretful expression, “I thought the one in A-1 was a seven.”

She floats out her somehow still intact ticket and shows the Princess, who nods silently.

“I see, but still, I am confused on why you love... her. I do hope this is not offending you in any way,” she says with a hint of worry. “It’s just... that I... really want to know,” she says inquisitively.

“However,” Luna continues, “ unless you feel up to it now of course, I must keep you in Canterlot until you can thoroughly explain this to me. That, and, you look like you could use a nice bath and some medical attention; I shall see to it right away. Until next time, my dear. Come see me when you know - I will be happily awaiting your response.”

The Princess giggles as Lyra cringes at the thought of hot water touching her scrapes, but then relaxes when medical supplies are mentioned. Plus, there is a way to get to Ponyville! Lyra’s heart takes flight once again, knowing that proving her love will be an easy task.