• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 1,163 Views, 20 Comments

Lost in the Dark - Silver Moon



Everypony has fears. Everypony has nightmares. Most have them both at the same time.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,163

Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash: Forever a Failure

The Wonderbolt Academy. Rainbow Dash always knew she would get there one day. She laughed gleefully as she flew through the air, her squadron of fellow cadets close behind. Her squadron. The blue Pegasus let out another whoop of delight as she reflected on how she had (literally) flown through the rankings, how she had quickly become the number one cadet EVER, but most of all, how Spitfire had told her only yesterday that she, Rainbow Dash, was ready to become a Wonderbolt. The young mare closed her eyes as she pumped her wings faster and faster, getting ready to break the sound barrier, then
SMACK!

Rainbow spun out of control for several seconds following her collision with some solid object. It was not long before she was right way up and flying smoothly again, yet it only took a few seconds for the worst to happen.

Her five friends, Twilight, Rarity, AJ, Pinkie and Fluttershy, were all falling down, knocked out of the hot-air balloon. They plummeted towards Equestria at break-neck speeds as the blue Pegasus began to panic. There was no time to think; with a flash of colour, Rainbow sped downwards and began to gather up clouds to form a platform to save her friends.

Wait, she suddenly thought. Where did they come from? The sky was clear save me and my squadron a moment ago. Was it the hot-air balloon I hit? No, I hit something smaller than that. ARG! STOP WASTING TIME!! Furious with herself, Rainbow spun the clouds faster, but she was still too slow. The Pegasus watched, helpless, as her friends all fell right through the fluffy substance, even Fluttershy.

“No, no, NO!” Unable to watch, the blue pony landed on the cloud and buried her head, waiting with baited breath for the indivertible SPLAT that would fill the air as her friends crashed on the ground. But as seconds pasted and no such sound came, Rainbow felt curiosity dragging her eyes down to the ground. What she saw made her brows knit in confusion. A light opal streak with a two-coloured lightning bolt inside was right along the ground where the 5 ponies would have crashed. The streak was fading slowly, much like the rainbow that Dash leaves behind when she flies fast. Looking up, Rainbow followed the colour with her eyes, until she could see where it was coming from. A Pegasus mare flew, carrying the five fallen ponies, all at once. She swooped through the air before gracefully landing on the ground and depositing her load. Rainbow flew down and landed behind her friends’ savoir.

“Oh, thank you, thank you!” The colourful Pegasus exclaimed. “I- LIGHTNING DUST?” Dash burst out in shock as the mare turned to face the other. RD stood in shock, her mouth agape as she stared at the pony that was almost her good friend. Lightning flipped her mane back arrogantly as she lazily glanced back at Rainbow. The opal coat was almost entirely covered by a familiar blue uniform.

“What’s the matter, Rainbow?” Lightning Dust sneered. “Never seen a Wonderbolt before?”

“How-how are you a Wonderbolt?” RD exclaimed indignantly. “You got kicked out of the academy!”

“No, no, no, you ignorant fool. You are the one who got kicked out. I’m a Wonderbolt because, well,” Lightning let out a cruel laugh as she turned away, “only the best of the best, right? And you just don’t cut it.” With a final victory laugh, the Pegasus took to the sky, the squadron of Pegasi following their leader.

“NO!” Rainbow Dash screamed in rage as her friends too took off after the opal mare. “SPITFIRE! Spitfire, I demand to talk to you, RIGHT NOW!”

“Yes? What is it?” a cold voice snapped at the blue mare. Rainbow turned around rapidly to see her idol staring at her with contempt.

“Why did you make Lightning Dust a Wonderbolt? How could you! I’m a much better flyer than she is and she is far too reckless!”

“Reckless?” Spitfire echoed with a humorless laugh. “I should think not. That would be you. And as if you could be a better flyer! Ha! Lightning Dust won the Best Young Flyer 5 years in a row! You are just a failure. Now leave, you’re not even allowed here anymore.”

“But-”

“No buts. I said leave,” Spitfire spat. Without another word, the yellow mare turned and started to fly away.

“NO!” Rainbow screamed again. With a rush of speed, she leapt forwards, tackling the other Pegasus to the ground. The two scuffed in the dirt for a solid minute before Dash managed to pin her opponent down. There was a wild gleam in her eye as she glared down at the pony that had once her idol. Despite the insanity brewing inside, the tone in which the blue Pegasus spoke in was a calm one.

“Listen to me,” she said slowly. “Listen to me. I am a great flyer. I can prove it. What do I need to do to prove it?”

“Why should I waste my time on a failure like you?” Spitfire spat back.

“Just give me a chance. Please.” All at once, the anger and hatred was gone from Rainbow’s eyes. In their place was a hollow, empty sadness. “Please,” she repeated, stepping off of the other mare.

“Fine. Fly up to that cloud there and I will see what I can do about making you a Wonderbolt,” the yellow mare said as she gestured up to a cloud not high up.

“That’s it!? I can do that in my sleep!” Rainbow exclaimed, brightening up in an instant.

“Sure you can,” came the disbelieving reply.

“Just you watch!” With that final comment, the athletic Pegasus took to the air, flying up and up and up. As she flew, Rainbow started to find it harder and harder to fly. Looking at her back, she saw that with each flap of her wings, they grew smaller and smaller. Her balance began to waver and she let out a fearful cry for help. Her idol, staring up at her, only grinned as the younger mare struggled to fly.

“Why don’t you just quit now and save us all some time?” Spitfire called up.

“Never! I will reach that cloud!” It was so close; Rainbow could almost feel the soft plush beneath her hooves. But it seemed that with each flap of her shrinking wings, the cloud flew further and further away. Her wings now no more than stumps, Rainbow heard a laugh coming from the cloud she was chasing.

“Wow, you really are a bad flyer!” Lightning Dust called, poking her head off the side of the cloud she kept moving.

“You,” Rainbow seethed, fury urging her to flap harder still.

“Yes, me,” came the giggling reply. “Wow, we are really high up, aren't we? Look way down there, Spitfire looks like an ant! I would sure hate to fall right now…” The mare trailed off, a smug grin overriding her face’s features. “Oh, would you look at that. Tsk, tsk, it seems you no longer have any wings. Well, I guess you won’t be becoming a Wonderbolt after all!”

“What do you mean my wings are- AHH!” Rainbow let out a shriek of pure terror as she turned and saw her bare back. What her enemy spoke was true; Rainbow Dash no longer had any wings. As she started to plummet towards Equestria, the failing Pegasus saw her foe fly away. The world fled with Lightning Dust, RD found herself falling in a black void, wingless, hopeless, a failure.
Falling, falling, falling…















































Forever.

Author's Note:

See a mistake? Please let me know!
Have an idea of how I can improve? Let me know!
Hate this? Please tell me why so I can get better!

I will also be taking ideas about who should be next and (possibly) what their nightmare would be about. Right now I have nightmares for Spike and Celestia, which I am currently working on.

OK, that's it. I hope you enjoyed this!