• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 965 Views, 25 Comments

The Crusades End - ColdChimera



After failing to find their cutie marks again they try a different approach and discover a secret that will lead them to a discover a long hidden secret

  • ...
0
 25
 965

2 The Search Begins

“What do you mean we weren’t the first?” asked Scootaloo looking annoyed that Apple Bloom suggested she read a book.

“During the war between the princesses (also known as the celestial wars) a band of knights worked together to destroy all evil and prevent any harm befalling the civilians of whichever town they inhabited at the time (most often and notably Canterlot)” read Sweetie Belle over Apple Blooms shoulder “These knights were special, and highly revered, because they were so diverse. Their members had a large range of skills including sabotage, aerial and naval combat and archery. This however was not what made them infamous, that is attributed to each members ability to use any weapon virtually without training, this arose as a side effect of their lack of cutie marks and this lack of a cutie mark was the reason that other warriors referred to them ironically as the ‘Cutie Mark Crusaders’.”

“WOW, so the people we named our club after were heroes, and they didn’t have cutie marks either” exclaimed Scootaloo bouncing and fluttering her wings in excitement.

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders lasted until long after the war but have disappeared from recent history” Sweetie continued “their last known base was in Trottingham.”

“Trottingham!” cried Scootaloo “that’s really, really far away.”

“Well we should try finding a little more information first. We don’t want to get our hopes up over nothing, and I don’t’ want to waste time on a wild goose chase when we could be finding our cutie marks” Sweetie Belle stated looking concerned at her friends excitement.

“But if we’re right, then we won’t ever get our Cutie Marks” Apple Bloom said looking her friend in the eye.

“How are we going to find more information about an ancient and secret band of warriors?” asked Scootaloo thinking practically for once.

“Ah could ask Granny Smith, she was a settler pony so she has seen lots of things, and she’s heard loads of stories about the things she hasn’t seen herself, ah’m certain she will have heard of them.”

“Good idea Apple Bloom. I could ask Rarity, and Twilight is coming to have tea with her later, I could ask them both!”

“Well then, I guess while you do that I’ll” Scootaloo paused and shuddered “read, to see if there is anything in these books on the crusaders, I’ll meet you both back here later” and with that Sweetie left the Cutie Mark Crusaders clubhouse. Just then the two friends left in the club house heard a distant “SOUPS ON EVERYPONY” in the characteristic southern drawl of Apple Bloom’s older sister Applejack. “Perfect timing ah’m starved, and I can ask Granny Smith now as well before she goes for her nap. Do you want to come too Scootaloo? You know there’s always room for more at the Apple family table.” She paused, thinking “actually won’t your dad be worrying about where you are? It’s gettin’ pretty late?” Apple Bloom asked looking slightly concerned.

“No, I’m fine thanks Apple Bloom I had a bite when I went to get my books and dad knows I’m here, he doesn’t even mind if I stay in the clubhouse overnight he knows I’ve done it before and that I’ll be fine; I’ll stay here and read there might be something useful in here.”

Scootaloo turned around and pulled the war books towards her, she turned her head to ask to her friend as she was leaving“would you mind saving me a slice of that amazing apple pie Granny Smith makes, I’m never to full for that.”

“Ok if we’re having it today ah’ll save you a slice,” Apple Bloom laughed “but ya aren’t sleeping here, at the very least you’ll come to the house to go to sleep.” She continued as she walked down the gangplanks to the grass below the club house.

“THANKS” Scootaloo shouted at the quickly disappearing form of her friend, with that she turned back to the books she had pulled towards her and opened one at the contents and started scanning, “nothing, horseapples” she pulled another closer, then another, then another when she had searched the index and contents of all the books she stood up stretched her legs and stepped out to walk around the club house, thinking she needed some fresh air.
When she returned from her walk she sat down looking at the books “well if it doesn’t mention them in the index I guess I’ll have to read them. I’m not reading all of them though, what was it ‘during the war between the princesses’ GREAT all I have to read is the bits about the…” she opened a book at the contents to check the name and groaned “the celestial wars” she looked at the amount of the book that was dedicated to the celestial wars and felt tears in her eyes, there had to be at least three quarters of this book on that war. As she looked around she noticed the name of the first book she had looked in ‘The Princesses are fighting! – A documentary of the celestial wars’ “oh horseapples, there’s an entire book dedicated to the war? I guess I had better start reading” she sighed as she sat down for what was starting to look like a long, boring evening.

“Come on Apple Bloom! We’re waiting” Applejack shouted looking annoyed and impatient as her sister rounded the barn, clearly having just come from the Cutie Mark Crusaders clubhouse. Applejack was beginning to wonder if they should even bother making them food, might as well put a stove in there, they spend enough time in that tree house and ah know they have all slept in there at some point. Wait a minute “Apple Bloom is Scootaloo still in your clubhouse?”
“Yes, but I did ask if she wanted to come to dinner with me and she said no, and she said her dad knows where she is. Oh and I told her she couldn’t sleep in there again, she will come to the house at the very least, and I need to save her a slice of pie.” Apple Bloom replied quickly adding in a concerned tone “Why, has her dad been asking for her?”
“No, I was just wondering is all, on account of I saw all of y’all go up that road and so far only two have come back down it”

“OK then, you had me worrying that Scootaloo was in some kind of trouble then.” Apple Bloom said reproachfully.

“Sorry lil sis” Applejack chuckled “come on, let’s get some grub before Big Mac and Granny Smith eat it all.” Said Applejack turning and entering the house Apple Bloom following close behind. As they entered Apple Bloom saw Granny Smith and her brother sat at the table with plates piled high with various different foods from apple fritters to slices of Granny Smiths world famous apple pie.”OK everypony you can start now” Applejack said as she placed a similarly piled plate in her place at the table and a smaller pile of food for Apple Bloom, she also placed a plate of food on a table near the door that Apple Bloom guessed was for Scootaloo. Apple Bloom walked to her seat at the table, sat down and ate everything as fast as she possibly could, the others took that as a sign that they should start but they all wondered how it was possible for such a small filly to eat that much that fast.

When they had all finished Applejack and Big Mac cleared the table and they heard a soft knock at the door they looked out and saw Scootaloo stood on the door step, Applejack let her in and gave her the plate of food.
“Thanks Applejack” said Scootaloo looking less energetic than usual, gladly accepting the still steaming plate of food. She placed the plate on the table next to Apple Bloom who paused in her apple massacre just long enough to take notice of Scootaloo before returning to her food, and Scootaloo followed suit. After a few minutes of eating and when their plates were nearly empty Scootaloo looked up at Apple Bloom who had just finished and asked “well, did you ask her then?”

“No, ah’ve just finished dinner, and so has she.” Was the reply she got “but ah’m going to ask her now, you coming?” Apple Bloom asked, “oh, and did you bring those books with you?”

“Yes I do want to come here this story, and they’re in my saddlebags” Scootaloo motioned to the bags propped against the wall next to the door, that were practically bursting at the seams with books. “Well, you’ll be in my room so I’ll help you carry them up the stairs and then we’ll ask Granny Smith about the Crusaders.”

“Sounds good.”

“Come on then” and with that Apple Bloom walked to Scootaloo’s bags took half the books out and started for the stairs to her room.


Meanwhile, as Sweetie Belle walked along the path from the farm she became lost in thought, she was so busy thinking about all they had learned that she nearly walked right into somepony, “Sorry” she mumbled not looking at the pony still thinking.

“It’s ok Sweetie Belle, where are Apple Bloom and Scootaloo? You three go everywhere together” said a familiar voice that made Sweetie Belle look up at the purple mare she had nearly walked into.

“Oh, hi Twilight, they’re still in the clubhouse I was on my way home, you’re coming for tea today aren’t you? Want to walk together?” She asked

“Yes, I would love to walk with you” Twilight replied, Sweetie Belle fell in step with her and they walked together in silence for a while before Sweetie realised that Rarity would probably have never heard of the ‘Crusaders’, and for that matter Twilight may not have either, so she asked “Twilight, have you ever heard of the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

“Do you mean you’re not-so-secret-society?” Twilight asked an amused look on her face “I don’t think there’s a pony in Ponyville that hasn’t heard of you three.”

“No” Sweetie replied a small look of annoyance on her face what’s the point of a secret society that everyone knows about she thought, “I meant before us”

“Oh, I think so but I’m not sure, sorry Sweetie” said Twilight a looking and sounding thoughtful “I’ll have a look for you in the library when I get back. Oh and next time you visit, check the books out please it took a lot of work finding out which ones you took.”

“Thanks Twilight, and sorry it won’t happen again” said the unicorn filly looking like she meant it.

“It’s ok, come on let’s get to the boutique before your sister starts wondering whether we’ve dropped off the face of Equestria.” They both picked up the pace and 10 minutes later they arrived at Carousel Boutique.

As Twilight and Sweetie Belle enter the shop the bell chimed and Rarity looked around the door of her ‘inspiration room’ “Oh, Twilight your early, come in I’ll be with you in one moment.” Her head disappeared back around the door and the sewing machine resumed it’s wiring as she finished, Twilight followed Sweetie Belle down the hall to the kitchen. A short while later Rarity entered the kitchen to find Twilight and Sweetie Belle talking.
“I promise you Sweetie Belle if there is anything at the library I will find it and tell you about it.”

“Ok, Thanks Twilight”

“You’re welcome Sweetie Belle”

“What are you two talking about?” Rarity inquired politely, as she searched through the cupboards to make tea, finding some scones and biscuits and placing them on a plate, she then placed the teapot on the hob of the cooker, and some tea cups on the table.

“Well Apple Bloom and Scootaloo and I found a book in the library that says there was another group called the cutie mark crusaders long ago and I wanted to know if anypony had heard about them but I don’t think they have.” Sweetie Belle replied looking disappointed that her efforts to gather information were failing.

“And I have told her that when I get back to the library I will look for any references to them” Twilight added helping Rarity by levitating the plate of cakes and biscuits over to the table.

“Actually, I think I might have heard of them. I thought they were just stories, don’t you remember the bedtime stories mother used to read to us Sweetie Belle?” Rarity asked while levitating the whistling teapot from the fireplace and pouring tea for Twilight, Sweetie Belle and herself.

“No, what stories. I was probably too young you’re a few years older than me remember.”

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders, vanquishers of evil, protectors of the weak and helpless, they were our mothers favourite stories.” Answered Rarity

“Oh, I think I might have heard that one, my parents used to tell Shining and me stories about ponies fighting evil creatures and helping people.” Twilight interjected excitedly. “But I don’t remember any of them sorry.”

“Neither do I unfortunately”

“It’s ok I know more than I did, before and Apple Bloom and Scootaloo will probably find some more information from the books, or maybe from Granny Smith.”

“If there’s one pony who will know those stories, it will be Granny Smith” Twilight stated confidently, “if I ever need information on folklore that I can’t find in the library I ask Granny Smith.”

“That’s good a least they will find something out” Sweetie Belle said brightening up, and with that the conversation drifted from the Crusaders to gossip, so Sweetie Belle quickly drank her tea and excused herself.


As Scootaloo followed Apple Bloom back down the stairs they heard laughter coming from the kitchen they had vacated only a few minutes ago. Curious they looked around the door and saw Applejack and Big Mac relaxing in the kitchen, with bottles of something that looked suspiciously like Big Mac’s secret reserve of cider. He took great pride in his cider and aged it purposefully to bring out the taste, he only brought it out on special occasions as it was much more expensive than the cider they sold to everypony else (and tasted better to if that’s possible) and only the apple family and their close friends knew that he made it. They looked the other way into the living room of the old farm house and saw that Granny Smith was sat in her favourite chair that had been moved to be by the fire and was staring into the flames.

“Hi Granny” Apple Bloom said just loud enough for Granny to hear them as they entered.

“Hey there smelly belly” said Granny Smith in greeting to her youngest grandchild. “What can I do fer ya?” she asked looking at Apple Bloom oddly.

“We were wonderin’ if you had ever heard of the Cutie Mark Crusaders” Apple Bloom asked hopeful that she might get some answers, “before us I mean” she added.

“Hmm, if ya mean them old stories that I used to tell you, then I think I can remember one of them, but other than that ah have no idea.” Granny answered looking thoughtful.

“Yeah, that’s what we’re talking about” Scootaloo said excitedly, “and I always love a story before bed” she added quietly to Apple Bloom.

“Alright then, sit yer-selves down and I’ll try to remember one of them.” Apple Bloom and Scootaloo walked over to the fire place and sat down across from the old mare and waited for her to remember the story. Applejack walked in from the other room and stood by the door. Granny cleared here throat.

“A long time ago when the two royal pony sisters fought each other, there was a town called Trottingham. Now this town wasn’t big, it was smaller than Ponyville but it was a very important place because of the magic in the area, because you see there are many forms of magic and not all require a unicorn or alicorn to cast them, some places have magic in the ground around them like parts of the Everfree forest. So the royal sisters fought over it because whoever controlled it would gain more power than the other and would win the war. Celestia’s warriors fought nightmare moons monsters and the little town was caught in the middle. A few days into the battle three pony warriors appeared in Trottingham, they looked odd because, while they were wearing full armour and looked like they had seen battle, and were ready for more, they had no weapons and their armour had no crest unlike the armies of princess Celestia and Nightmare moon. When they entered the town the first thing they did was ask for rooms at the local inn, but at first they were refused because the inn keeper wouldn’t have one army or another in his establishment and risk becoming a target of the other army.

“It’s OK we understand that you don’t want to make yourselves a target but we aren’t part of either army, we serve Celestia but we also serve Luna, and we promise no harm will come to you for letting us stay, we’ll make sure of that.” The leader assured the owner.

“How can you possibly protect us from those monsters you don’t have any weapons, and you can’t serve Luna or you would have been transformed as well.”

“We don’t carry weapons because we use the ones we find. And we serve Luna we are not a part of her army, so we weren’t transformed.” The leader explained

“Prove that you can protect us then I will give you all rooms” the inn keeper said his eyes on the three unusual warriors.

“Deal”

“That Evening a group of nightmare moons monsters charged through the town destroying everything in their path until they reached the inn where the three warriors stood ready they each picked their first target carefully searching for one that was slightly apart from the main group had a weapon they each knew how to use and looked quite weak. They communicated they had picked their targets with nods, and then as one attacked striking vital parts of the creatures with lighting jabs and swift brutal kicks. The first three were disarmed and down in seconds, the rest turned on the new warriors but didn’t have chance to do more than wail before their lives were ended. After that the ones at the back started to run trying to escape any way they could, but it was of no use the three strange warriors were always there everywhere they turned. Less than five minutes after the battle had started it was over and the warriors stood alone in a small square bordered by shops and houses and backed by the inn the only entrance to which was the bridge across the river. Before the square had looked like any other and now it was filled with the bodies of the grotesque monsters that the three ponies had once called friends. They paid their respects to the ones they had vanquished and returned to the inn on whose door the leader knocked. After a few moments it opened and the inn keeper allowed them to enter, and gave them their rooms in return for their continued protection.

“We would protect you anyway that is our job but thank you for the rooms.”

The local smith who was taking shelter in the inn and had seen their fight, offered to make them three ponies some new armour, to replace the damaged pieces they were wearing. The three warriors agreed to his kind offer.

“After that night the small town of Trottingham has always been protected from harm. Nopony knows why but people that have less than the purest of intentions disappear after their first night in the town’s only inn. That my little ponies is the story of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“Wow” Scootaloo yawned. “The crusaders were awesome.”

“Alright you two time for bed.” Applejack said after waiting for Granny Smith to finish her story, Apple Bloom hadn’t even heard her enter so jumped slightly when she heard her sister’s voice behind her. She and Scootaloo stood without comment thanked Granny for the story and left to go to bed.

In Apple Blooms room the crusaders got into their respective beds, Apple Bloom in her normal bed and Scootaloo in a camp bed Applejack had set up for her. After Applejack had left to go back downstairs Apple Bloom turned to face Scootaloo and asked “So, why have you been staying in the clubhouse so much recently?”

“Because I want to.” She replied defensively, not looking at her friend “Why do you care anyway, I don’t bother anyone” she sounded upset, even a little angry.

“Ah’m just worried is all, that clubhouse can get real cold at night and we don’t actually spend that much time inside it so it might not be entirely safe. I just don’t want to wake up one morning and find you’ve been hurt because you slept in our clubhouse and it collapsed or something.”

“It’s OK Apple Bloom, I don’t stay in there all the time only sometimes, and I have blankets stashed in there. The safest part is that observatory thing we’ve got in the roof space so I sleep there.”

“Alright so you won’t get too hurt if you stay in there, but why are you staying there in the first place?” it seemed to Apple Bloom that Scootaloo really didn’t want to tell her “C’mon now you can tell me, I promise to keep it a secret if you want me to”

“It’s my dad” Scootaloo sighed “When I got home today I couldn’t see him but I could see three empty wine bottles and a few bottles of cider, so I just got what I would need until tomorrow and left, he’s been that way a lot, ever since mum left. I just leave him alone and come back when he’s back to normal.” She finally looked at Apple Bloom “I’m only telling you this because I have to tell somepony and you promised not to tell anypony”

“It’s OK Scootaloo I promised so ah won’t tell a soul. But you still shouldn’t sleep in the clubhouse, especially when we could be having a sleepover here.” A smile grew on Apple Bloom’s face “So just come here there’s always space.”
“Thanks Apple Bloom, I’ll remember that. We’d better get some sleep we have to tell Sweetie Belle that story tomorrow and find out what she learned so we can make a decision, I don’t know about you but I can’t think straight when I’m tired.” She yawned and turned over so she was facing away from Apple Bloom “Good night Apple Bloom”

“Good night Scootaloo” Apple Bloom turned the lamp that was the rooms only light source off and went to sleep. She didn’t see the tear that leaked out of the corner of Scootaloo’s eye as she thought of her mother, the state her farther was in, and what a good friend she had found in the little yellow Earth pony filly she was sharing a room with.


The next day Sweetie Belle hurried to Sweet Apple Acres to find out what Apple Bloom and Scootaloo had found out and to tell them what she had learned. As she ran up the road she noticed that Scootaloo was already there, which she thought would speed things up as they wouldn’t be waiting for anyone. She walked up to them “Hi girls” she greeted them to which they responded with “Hi Sweetie Belle” Sweetie noticed they both had saddle bags full of books and guessed from that and the fact that Scootaloo hadn’t passed her on her way that she had stayed the night. Scootaloo suggested they go to the clubhouse, so since no one had any better ideas that was where they went.

“Sweetie Belle why don’t you start” Apple Bloom suggested, thinking that she and Scootaloo had gained practically the same information.

“OK, well as I was walking home I bumped into Twilight and I asked her but she didn’t know anything and she also said she would look in the library to try to find something there.” from there Sweetie Belle told them about her walk home with Twilight and helping prepare tea, “and then I asked Rarity about them and she said they were our mothers favourite bedtime stories!”

“Yeah, Granny Smith told us one last night” Scootaloo admitted confirming Sweetie Belle’s suspicions that she had stayed the night. So Scootaloo told Sweetie Belle the story with occasional input from Apple Bloom if she missed anything. When she finished Sweetie Belle was staring open mouthed.

“Wow, that’s cool. Rarity said she couldn’t remember any of the stories, but she thought Granny Smith would.” She thought for a second before it hit her, she was so surprised by the thought that she jumped up and accidently hit the lamp that hung in the room, turning it on. “Didn’t that book say that the last place the Cutie Mark Crusaders were ever seen was Trottingham?”

“Oh yeah” Scootaloo said excitedly as she went to turn off the lamp. “and I don’t think it was just a story because there are references to three unknown warriors around Trottingham, and other references to the CMC in lots of the history and war books we got from the library.”

“Well Applejack is going to Trottingham soon to make a delivery to a cousin we have up there. Ah might be able to get her to take me and maybe you too Scootaloo, and it’s during the holidays so we won’t miss much crusading time if we’re wrong.”

“That’s a great idea” Scootaloo agreed “I can get there on my own if you can’t get Applejack to take us both”

“Perfect, Rarity has to make a trip to Trottingham soon to deliver an order and there is a big fashion show at the same time so she will be staying for that, I might be able to come with her and maybe you too Scootaloo if you can’t go with Applejack and Apple Bloom.”

“It’s settled then, we’re going to Trottingham during the holidays if we can get your sisters to take us.” Scootaloo said looking excited “Crusaders today crusading is not our top priority” the young Pegasus took on an air of command reminiscent of the leader in the story she and Apple Bloom had heard the night before “Today our top priority is to convince your sisters to take us to Trottingham, and if we can’t, to form a plan to get there on our own.”

The three fillies decided their best first move was to speak to Applejack. They left the clubhouse and walked down the path Apple Bloom leading and the others following, they passed five fields before Scootaloo asked where they were going.

“We’re going to the south field, Applejack and Big Mac are bucking the red delicious today” she informed them “They gotta be quick or them catterpillers’ll get ‘em” they carried on walking for a few minutes until they came to a field filled with trees that were covered in big red apples and had buckets at their bases, a few rows of the trees had their fruit in the buckets instead of on their branches so it was pretty clear where Applejack and Big Mac would be. As the crusaders walked through the orchard they picked a few apples out of the buckets and ate them to stave off their growing hunger. They eventually found Big Mac preparing to buck one of the biggest trees on the farm, most trees he only needed one leg to buck but this one was special it had been planted when he was born and now was one of the oldest trees on the farm not counting the zap apple trees.

“Hi Big Mac, is ma sister around” Apple Bloom asked as they approached the stallion.

“Eeyup” he replied gesturing with one of his fore hooves to a spot a few meters away where one of the trees suddenly shook from an impact strong enough to loosen all the apples on the tree and cause them to fall into the baskets standing ready at the trees base.

“Thanks Big Mac” all three fillies said in unison as they hurried over to the recently de-appled tree, Big Mac simply nodded rolled his eyes and returned to his task. The three crusaders rounded the corner to come face to face with Applejack

“Howdy Applejack, can we ask you a question?”

“You can ask me anything you want, but it don’t mean ah’ll answer you.” The orange pony stated, before she broke into a smile “I’m only joking with ya, what do you three need?” she asked as she leaned against the tree she had just been bucking.

“Do you know when we will be leaving for Trottingham?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Ah do, why do you want to know?”

“Well, we really want to go to Trottingham because we’ve never been before” Apple Bloom started

“And then I remembered Rarity is going to be up there all week starting the week after next” Sweetie Belle continued.

“And then Apple Bloom remembered you had to make a delivery to your cousin who lives there” Scootaloo added.

“So ah wondered if maybe I could come with you?” Apple Bloom finished hopefully, pleading with her eyes.

“Ah guess, you could come with us Apple Bloom, ah'm going in two weeks, but we can’t afford to take anyone else sorry.” Applejack answered apologetically not quite looking towards Scootaloo as she said it.

“No sweat AJ, I wouldn’t have asked you anyway you’re too kind to me as it is.” Scootaloo responded taking the hint from Applejacks indirect apology.

“It’s OK Scoots we like having you here and we would do the same for anypony.” Applejack gave the orange Pegasus a warm smile before turning away to buck the next tree along. “Was that – ungh – all?” She asked grunting with the effort of bucking the apples from their lofty perches.

“Yeah, thanks Applejack” Apple Bloom shouted over her shoulder as she and the other crusaders ran off towards Ponyville.

“Ok, that’s Apple Bloom’s travel arrangements sorted. Next is Sweetie Belle’s” Scootaloo said as they ran through Ponyville. Just as they were running past Sugar Cube Corner the combination of smells and their already rumbling stomachs, despite it being ten o’clock, seemed to team up on them and they stopped in their tracks unable to simply walk past the door to the confectionary shop. “OK new plan, let’s get a muffin and a shake then go and sort out Sweetie Belles travel plan.” They all agreed on this without the need for words and entered the shop.

As they entered they were hit by the smell of muffins cakes and other sweets, they were paralysed once again, by the combination of smells and their hunger. After a few seconds Apple Bloom recovered enough to ask Mr Cake, who was manning the shop, for three muffins and three milkshakes. He nodded turned and walked through the saloon doors behind him to make the milkshakes and to fetch more muffins; after he had passed through the doors Apple Bloom turned to her friends and asked “whose turn is it?”

“I paid for them yesterday” Scootaloo reminded her, thinking back “and you paid for them the time before that so I think it’s Sweetie Belle’s”

“That sounds right” Sweetie agreed as she handed a few bits over to Apple Bloom. Apple Bloom thanked her and handed them to Mr Cake when he returned with three milkshakes and three muffins on the tray on his head and a pile as high as a foal on a tray he had balanced on his tail.

“We’re doing a buy one get one free offer on muffins today” he said as he placed the tray of muffins carefully on the counter, took three of the pasties from the pile and added them to the tray with the milkshakes “that’ll be three bits please” he said smiling at the look of delight on their faces, not only was that more muffins it was also a discount on the price of the goods they had ordered, only one bit but it was enough.

“Thanks Mr Cake!” the crusaders exclaimed in unison, Sweetie took the muffins and shakes with Scootaloo as Apple Bloom paid Mr Cake and thanked him again.

"So,” Scootaloo said through a mouthful of muffin, “we’ve got Apple Bloom sorted, she’s going to Trottingham in two weeks with Applejack” she surmised before swallowing and taking a gulp of milkshake “but I think Rarity will take some more convincing.”

“I think she will to.” Sweetie Belle agreed “If she even notices us, she has a habit of not noticing me, or anypony else, when she’s busy.”

“Right, so we need to think of a cover so she won’t be suspicious and Apple Bloom can tell Applejack if she gets curious.”

“We should really have thought of this before we asked Applejack” Apple Bloom pointed out “and it has to be close to the truth, we can’t lie to Applejack she’s the element of honesty after all”

“Ok so we told her that we really wanted to go to Trottingham, we need to think of an excuse for that” Scootaloo said thinking out loud, “how about we want to visit so we can see if we can get our cutie marks as travellers.”

“That’s stupid who’s ever heard of a travelling cutie mark” Apple Bloom said

“Oooh, how about a cutie mark in languages” Sweetie Belle squealed almost jumping off her chair.

“The ponies in Trottingham speak the same language we do, all of Equestria does” Scootaloo reminded her

“But Trottingham has a large library on the languages of other countries, and different dialects are a part of the study of languages” Sweetie Belle informed her friends, who were stunned that she knew anything about Trottingham or languages.

“Well then, I guess that solves that problem” Scootaloo said finishing her muffin “and if Rarity says that I can’t come with you I’ll pay to get there on my own.”

“How are ya gonna do that?” Apple Bloom asked confused

“Well if I don’t have enough money saved I’ll borrow some of my dad’s” She answered her face blank; I’m not going to ask him for it though. I would have taken some of his money anyway, what’s he going to do with it get even more drunk? Even if I just threw it in the street when we get to Trottingham it’s a better use than he has for it.

“Well then, let’s go try and sweet talk Rarity” Apple Bloom said seeing that Sweetie was just about to ask a question about Scootaloo’s statement, thankfully she decided just to go with the group and left the shop placing the second muffin in their bags. They turned left outside the shop and very soon arrived at their destination.

Sweetie Belle opened the door and allowed the others to enter; she knew exactly where Rarity would be since she was always there if the shop was open so she led her friends through the shop and up the stairs at the back to Rarity’s work room.

When they entered they were met with what others would normally explain as a failed cutie mark acquisition attempt but that Sweetie Belle knew was her sisters ‘inspiration’. There were pieces of fabric all over the room, feathers and ribbons spread in a similar fashion. Some of the marenaquines were placed against the far wall and had half finished designs, including the one that made Sweetie shiver remembering being forced into the feathered headdress that one time when she joined the newspaper team, the others were scattered around the room some stood others laid. If they were any more lifelike the crusaders might have been worried that Rarity had finally snapped. As the crusaders surveyed the scene they saw against the wall to their right the back of a white unicorn mare, her usually immaculately kept hair was starting to look unkempt and dishevelled this Sweetie knew was due to her sisters focus on her work, she was sat on a stool hunched over her sewing machine which they could hear working.

“Hi Rarity, are you busy?” asked Sweetie Belle as sweetly as possible.

“Very” replied Rarity before turning around on her stool “But I have a few seconds spare, what is it Sweetie?”

“I was wondering about your trip to Trottingham, when are you going?”

“In a couple of weeks why?” the older unicorn replied looking slightly confused at the interest

“Well Apple Bloom is going to Trottingham in two weeks with her sister and me and Scoots here were wondering if we could come with you, we would really like to come.” When she finished Sweetie pulled a face that made her eyes appear to grow till they nearly filled her head, pleading with her older sister.

“Don’t use that look on me Sweetie Belle, I know when you are manipulating me” she replied an unimpressed look on her face “but I will let you come anyway” she said relenting.

“YES” Sweetie and Scootaloo shouted together, high hooving each other with big grins on their faces, this had been easier than they thought it would be.

“On one condition” she said the two fillies’ faces falling “I can’t afford to take you with me on my own but I can if you are my assistants, which means that you will have to help me carry my things and set up”

“OK Rarity, thank you” Sweetie Belle said looking cheerful if not quite as excited as she had a few seconds ago.

“Come on crusaders back to the club house we’ve got planning to do” Scootaloo said “Thanks Rarity”
The three ponies left Rarity's Shop and were half way down the street when Apple Bloom asked what they were going to do.

“Well we have all got a way to get to Trottingham in two weeks, so I don’t think that we have anything else to do” Sweetie commented thinking out loud.

“Of course we do!” Scootaloo said urgently Even if we can’t actually get them we might as well try “we have to crusade for our cutie marks!” and with that the three ran to try a new activity that was sure to earn them their cutie marks.