• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 720 Views, 17 Comments

The Curse of the Verse - RangerBeef



A Zecora origin story, explaining how she came to Ponyville and why she rhymes.

  • ...
2
 17
 720

Manticore Tears

"The attack came in the middle of the night. I don't know if we had been an intended target or if the marauders simply decided we were one when they happened upon us. What I do know, is that in one night I felt my whole world collapse," Zecora paused. "Have you ever seen a camel, Shadow?"

"Once. He wasn't the kindest fellow I've ever had the pleasure of meeting."

"That is because most camels are nomadic warriors. They live to seek glory in battle. Dying in combat is considered a great honor, and many will fight to the death just for sideways glances or a misspoken word. They are a terrifying people."

-----

As I said, I do not know why these camels decided Viki's hut warranted a full on attack but that night, for whatever reason, it did. They came in a densely packed group, yelling and screaming, setting the forest around the hut on fire so as to force us outside to escape the flames that would eventually surround us completely.

Viki, however, had prepared for an attack like this, long ago. She forced me to duck into a secret room she had hidden under a rug, while she donned a belt full of vials, each filled with a different colored liquid.

Before closing the door, she gave me a tight hug and told me to stay hidden until morning. I could barely answer before she shut the trap door and left me in darkness, save one candle that I had lit. I have wished on many occasions that I had gone with her, to live or to die by her side.

I don't know what happened to Viki that night but when I opened the trap door in the morning I was surrounded by the remnants of the hut. Everything was black and smoking and small fires still burned in a few places. As I looked to the forest, I noticed several things out of place. The first of which was a group of bushes that were completely encased in ice. The second, a group of trees that had been knocked over, almost as if by some tremendous wind. Another tree with holes peppered in the trunk and leaves.

As I wandered the effects on the trees and other plant life become more and more varied and more and more dangerous looking. There were, however, no bodies. No camels remained and I could not see Viki anywhere. It was as if she had vanished and left only this bizarre trail for me to follow.

Returning to the now smoldering hut, I stepped back into the room I had spent the evening in, with the sun in the sky, I could use it's light to see the room more clearly than when I had only a candle. What I found left me wondering if Viki had been planning to send me on to another alchemist all along.

One wall of the room had a large map on display, it was a map of Zebria and some of the surrounding area. Far north of Zebria, past the nations of Camelu and Cervidas, East of Equestria's Seaddle and Northwest of Fawntaine of Cervidas in the middle of the forest along the Tempest Coast, was a small green circle with an X in it. With the word, Rekazi, written out beside the X.

I studied the map for a long while before removing it from the wall and folding it up. As I went to place it in the saddlebag I found a not from Viki

Dear Big Z,

If you're reading this, then something happened to me before I was able to finish teaching you. But don't you worry. Ol' Viki always had a plan for you. Follow this map and head for the Tempest Coast. In the forest along the coast you'll find a pony with a light blue coat and a pointy purple mane. His name is Rekazi. He's going to continue your training. Be kind to him when you arrive. He's not fond of us zebras, and he can be mighty grouchy at times, but he'll be able to teach you far more than I ever could. Stay safe crossing Camelu and Cervidas. Steer clear of everyone in Camelu, but let yourself relax in Cervidas. The Cervidaens are just about the nicest and most timid folks you'll ever meet. Don't worry about me. I've got enough wits about me to be able to handle anything that might come my way.

-Your teacher and friend,

Viki

P.S.: Don't feel compelled to take Manny with you when you go. He's grown pretty fond of you and I imagine he'll want to come with you. Your call.

I read the note three full times before setting it down so my tears couldn't stain it anymore. The only friend I'd known in six years was gone and now I would have to cross two countries to find a new teacher. To say I was distraught is a drastic understatement.

I packed up everything else Viki had left for me: another note containing detailed directions to find Rekazi; a few potions, all labeled with what they were, mostly emergency things to escape from danger; and a few other essentials. I walked slowly back up the stairs and into the remnant of the hut and looked around.

Much to my surprise, Manny was waiting for me when I reappeared. He sat at the edge of the clearing of trees and stared at me with sad eyes. Manticores may not be able to talk but they are very intelligent, emotive, and perceptive creatures. He knew what had happened to Viki, perhaps he had even been with her in her final moments. I'll never know. But he knew that I would need him now and he was here to help me.

As I approached him, he lowered his face to mine and nuzzled me gently, one of his large tears wetting my mane a bit. It was a sad day for the both of us.

"A debt to Viki, I will always be owing. What do you say, Manny? Think it's time to get going?" I fought back my tears while speaking.

Manny nodded sorrowfully and lowered himself down, offering to carry me. I climbed onto his back and before I could even think of what to say to him, he took off to the north. He already knew where I needed to go and he was going to get me there as quickly as he could.