• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 1,581 Views, 20 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Never Forget - Cloudhammer



Time goes on and memories fade. But some memories are precious, and no one wants to forget them.

  • ...
19
 20
 1,581

02 - The Meeting

Year 6, Week 5, Wednesday

“Mom! Mom look!” Breaker said excitedly as he pressed his muzzle to the window. “I can see tiny things moving down there!”

“Those are cars, Breaker,” Nimbus said with a smile. “Now come on, let’s get you buckled in, the seat belt light is on.”

“Awww...” Breaker tried his best pouting face, but Nimbus only smiled wryly as she secured the belt around him. She had to admit that the new pony seats were pretty comfortable, though she realized that airplanes would soon be vanishing from the sky. So many things were going to change once Rejection hit.

“Attention everyone, this is your captain speaking. We’re on approach for landing at Bremerton National Airport. Thank you again for choosing this airline to meet your travel needs. Please make sure your seatbelts are fastened and all trays in their designated positions.”

Flare looked over at Nimbus as he buckled his own belt. “Are you really sure about this Nimbus? From what you said-”

“I’m sure Flare,” she replied firmly. “Much as he and I fought when I left to be ponified, he’s still my dad. I at least owe him the knowledge that I’m still alive, and definitely that he has a grandson.” She ruffled Breaker’s mane. “If he doesn’t accept it, then that’s his problem, and it’ll at least let me have some closure on this whole mess.”

Flare was conflicted, but nodded silently. He’d always had a good relationship with his parents, though after losing Red Flash, they’d become somewhat overprotective of him. He still remembered his mother crying as he’d left their little village for Canterlot, saddlebags packed for the beginning of his Guard training. “Hey, Nimbus?”

“Hmmm? Something bothering you?”

“Well, I was wondering... once we get back home, would you mind if maybe we visited my parents? We haven’t seem them since Breaker’s first Hearth’s Warming Eve, and I’m sure they’d love to see you again,” he grinned, “though I think this time you’ll be a lot less nervous.”

Nimbus scowled mockingly and cuffed his shoulder. ”Hey, I did just fine once I got there, mister.”

Flare laughed and nuzzled her as the plane steadily descended toward the runway. Breaker snorted and returned to staring out the window. Adults were just confusing sometimes.

The bus finally stopped with a squeal of ill-maintained brakes, the doors sliding open to allow its mixed passengers to get off.

“Finally, solid ground again!” Flare exclaimed as he trotted across the concrete of the bus terminal. “I can’t believe humans put up with that every day.”

“Well, usually people have their own cars, and besides, the bus was fine,” Nimbus mollified as she glanced back at Breaker. “How are you feeling, sweetie?”

“I gotta go potty,” Breaker whined.

“I got him,” Flare said as he glanced around, looking for the restrooms. Spotting them, he coaxed the colt along, very nearly entering the women’s restroom before correcting himself and using the right bathroom.

Nimbus laughed to herself before finding a nice bench to climb onto and lie down. The bus seats had been as uncomfortable as they always were, though at least the drive itself had been uneventful. What both surprised her and yet didn’t was the lack of ponies around. They’d only shared the bus with three other ponies, who were all continuing further north to Sequim to see the northern part of the Olympic National Park.

“Excuse me miss, is that little one yours?” She was startled out of her thoughts by a slightly overweight man sitting down on the bench next to her. She glanced up at him and froze, her heart racing a mile a minute. It was Abe Powell, her favorite teacher from high school. She’d spoken at length with him about her decision to enter the Army, especially after the last major fight between her and her father. The last she’d seen him was when he’d helped her onto the bus bound for the Conversion Center.

“Y-yes, that’s my son, Breaker.” She extended a hoof. “My name’s Nimbus, what’s yours?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Nice try, Jennifer.”

Nimbus gulped. “I don’t know what you mean-”

“Do you honestly think I’d not recognize your voice?” he said sternly before breaking into a grin. “I’m glad to see that things worked out, this whole Conversion thing and all.”

Nimbus relaxed, a smile of her own breaking out as she sat up and hugged him. “It’s good to see you, Mr. Powell.”

“You’re not my student anymore, call me Abe.” He returned the hug, mindful of her wings.

“Nimbus? Who’s this?” Flare called out as he trotted over, Breaker hiding bashfully behind him.

“Flare, this is Abraham Powell. He used to be my favorite teacher when I was still in school, and helped me out both when I joined the Army and got on the bus for the Conversion Center.” Nimbus said as she broke the hug. “Abe, this is my husband Flare, and that’s Breaker. Now come on son, Abe’s very nice, don’t be shy.”

Breaker cautiously took a few steps out, still sticking very close to Flare’s legs. “H-hello.”

“Well hello there.” Abe rocked forward off the bench and crouched down. “I knew your mother back when she was still in school.” He looked up at Nimbus with a grin. “He’s definitely got the look of your eyes."

“Yeah, he’s pretty great.” Nimbus ruffled Breaker’s mane affectionately.

“Moooom!” Breaker squirmed free, straightening his mane.

Abe laughed. “So, what brings you back to this neck of the woods?”

Nimbus’ smile faded slightly. “Well... I was unpacking some boxes, and found a photo of me and my dad... I just felt like I should at least try to set things straight, tell him he’s a grandpa now, y’know?”

Abe nodded. “Well, I’ve seen him around town, though haven’t really talked to him. He did take you leaving for the Conversion Center pretty badly.”

Nimbus folded her ears. “Yeah, I feel bad about the things I said too.”

“Well, let me give you all a lift, it’s a bit of a hike from here to your dad’s place.” Abe pushed himself to his feet, gesturing toward the parking lot. Leading them to his sedan, he stared for a second at Breaker. “Well, I don’t have a safety seat... Not that I think he’d fit in it anyway...”

“Mom, what’s that?” Breaker asked curiously.

Nimbus hesitated. “Well, it’s something made for keeping children safe...” She thought about it before sighing. “Well, just be careful.”

“I promise.” Abe helped get Breaker and Flare into the backseat, while Nimbus got to sit up front. Buckling the three ponies in, Abe settled into the driver seat and turned the key. He pulled out of the parking lot and started down the road.

“Say, Mr. Powell,” Flare asked after a few minutes, “forgive me for asking, but why were you at the bus stop? We never told anyone where we were going...”

Abe’s hands tightened on the wheel a little. “Well, to be perfectly honest, I was going to catch the bus down to the Bemerton Bureau and take the shot.”

“R-really?” Nimbus said after a few seconds. “What made you decide that?”

“Well,” Abe said with a sigh, “‘bout four months ago the high school let me go. I tried getting a job at the other schools in the district, but none of them were hiring. So, I got the idea that, if there’s not a job for me here, maybe get it over with, ponify, and see about getting a teaching position in Equestria. There’s actually a program in place for teachers to go to Equestria and help teach students there. So.... y’know.” He shrugged.

Nimbus put a hoof on his shoulder. “I know you’d be great for it. I hope you get the job.”

Abe chuckled. “Thanks. But enough about me and my problems, tell me about yourself! I’d hoped to see you come back, but I guess they don’t give the Royal Guard much time off, huh?”

Nimbus laughed. “Well, with more of us now, we can actually have time off. To hear Flare tell it, back before Equestria showed up, there were almost no Guards at all.”

“Oh, so he’s a native? So, how’ve you found humans?” Abe glanced over his shoulder, catching the slump of Flare’s shoulders. “Something wrong?”

“Well... I was in St Louis when the Bureau attack happened... “

Abe winced. “That sucks. I’m truly sorry. And glad that you got out okay. Not all of us are like those lunatics.”

Flare nodded. “I don’t know how much your news talked about it, but there were ponies involved in forcibly ponifying nearly a hundred people. And there’s been reports of deaths of humans and newfoals at several different Bureaus around the world. Given the nature of the deaths, ponies are likely involved there too. So, just be careful if you do get ponified.”

Abe nodded. “Well, I’ll be sure to keep my head down. Hoping to help spread a positive image of what humanity’s achieved in our history for a good many years.” He pulled the car onto a simple one lane street, plain houses evenly spaced on either side. He eventually pulled to a stop in front of a tan house with a brown roof, a single SUV parked haphazardly in the driveway. He got out of the car, unlocking the doors for the others. “You really want to do this?”

Nimbus took a deep breath as she trotted around the front of the car. “Yeah. I’ve put this off for long enough.” She froze though as a voice shouted from inside the house.

“Abe, what’re you doing here?” It was definitely male, hoarser than Nimbus had remembered it. It’s owner made themselves known a second later, walking onto the front porch. The rail thin man stopped at the sight of his guests. “And why the hell are there ponies with you? You know damn well how I feel about them.”

Steeling herself, Nimbus trotted forward to face him. “Hey Dad.”

The man’s eyes widened, though they returned to their usual scowl a second later. “Jennifer.”