• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 2,256 Views, 25 Comments

The Cry of the Moon - Razor Wing58



They say no one can hear you scream in space. But no one knows the true pain that dwells on the dark side of the moon. The pain and heartbreak Luna had to go through.Only a mother in morn would understand her loss. This is why the moon cries.

  • ...
6
 25
 2,256

Banishment

Chapter One
Banishment

A long time ago someone told me that you could hear nothing in space. But I beg to differ. I remember the first time I heard the story about the cry of the moon. It was said to have happened right after Princess Luna was banished for rising against her sister Princess Celestia. It’s a sad story really. Would you like to hear it? Well it all started over a thousand years ago when Equestria was still young. The princesses of night and day ruled together in peace. Luna was Princess of the Night, and Celestia was Princess of the Day. But as you know Luna was upset with the ponies as they played in the day and slept during the nights she made for them. It was as if they loved her sister more than her. So in her anger she used dark magic to make the night last forever, and turning herself into Nightmare Moon. You know about how Celestia used the Elements of Harmony to banish and imprison her on the moon for a thousand years. But this is the story about what happened while she was on the moon. This is the cry of the moon.

On the moon, Nightmare Moon had just been banished there.

“Celestia, how could you do this to me! I’m your sister! You bitch! How dare you send me to this cold lifeless rock! You will pay for this! Mark my word, I will have my vengeance! I will return! And the night will last forever!”

Nightmare Moon was still a bit in control of Luna’s mind but she was now stuck on the moon. Stuck in a cold vacuum of darkness made of the night skies she created. The view gave the earth she was once on, and in the distance the very sun her sister controlled. She took in her surroundings and saw how lifeless it was.

“Put me on the cold rock. With no subjects to rule over, no place to live, no food, no water, nothing, that hag is so luck I’m immortal. She pretty much put me up here to die. Well if that is her true plan then I will deal with her on my return.”

Nightmare would roam the barren white rock for the first few days of her exile. Staying on the light side of the moon to keep warm, she would watch as the world turned. Seeing all the other lands around the world, only knowing of Equestria her whole life this was eye opening for her. As days turned into weeks she was starting to learn how to channel both sides of herself. Nightmare Moon would change into Luna, and Luna would change into Nightmare Moon, and one time she even learned how to split her two halves into their own bodies. It would be the only company she would have on the moon.

“Nightmare, I must know. Do you think our reaction was too much? I mean after being here for nearly a month now I’m starting to think we may have over reacted?”
“We did what we saw was fair. Those ungrateful ponies did not care for the beautiful night sky we made for them. They did not want to see the moon and starts we placed in such wonderful figurers for them in the sky. They did now wish to see the mighty Leo or powerful and loving Ursa Major and Minor. They shunned our hard work and disrespected us. Our course of action was the most fitting.”
“But Nightmare, look at where we are. We are stuck on the moon in exile. Banished to the very thing we use to light the night sky. The sun of the night as one of our students called it. Oh he must be so worried about us right now. He was such a faithful student. I hope he is alright.”
“He will be fine. But if he was a true faithful student he would have found a way to get us back by now. If you ask me he is a failure, not worthy to serve under the princess of the night.”
“Nightmare that is not fair. He is only but a normal unicorn. Granted he has power, but Star Dust is still young and learning. And besides…He is a great colt and he would never let us down.”

More time would pass and Luna and Nightmare would come to peace with their punishment. They were now in their third month of banishment. The sun would rise and the earth would turn. The days on the moon were just a bit longer than the days on earth. The time just seemed to pass so slowly there. Watching the little town of Canterlot wake every morning and watching them blow their candles out every night. But being princess of the night she still had control of the night sky. And to let her sister Celestia know that Luna and Nightmare Moon came up with an idea. This would let all the ponies in the world and back in Equestria know that she was still Princess of the Night.

“Are you sure this will work Nightmare? It seems all for not to me.”
“Trust me Luna, this will let everybody in the world know we are still here. And that we still rule the night. We are the Princess of the Night are we not?”
“Yes you’re right. I just think it’s a bit much. But I do want the other ponies and my sister to know that I am still alright.”

The two worked the whole lunar day to finish what would be seen from earth. A carving on the surface in the shape of a mares head. The legend of the Mare on the Moon had been born that night. Many ponies saw this phenomenon all over the world. The story of Princess Luna spread around the world fast. But once Celestia caught wind of this she was in disbelief. But as night fell on Canterlot she saw it for herself. The face of Nightmare Moon high in the night sky. Celestia was furious. She saw this as an act of defiance, to get ponies to rise against her and fallow Nightmare Moon and her ways of dark magic. So what Celestia would do next would not only stop Nightmare Moon, but put an end to her magic for the rest of her banishment. Celestia gathered the power of four near stars in the sky and used them to amplify her spell thus sealing Nightmares magic, but also not allowing Luna to use her magic either. In doing this she would force Nightmare Moon back into Luna’s mind sealing her for good, and force something to happen that would scar Luna for the rest of her immortal life.

“What in the name of the moon was that?”

Breathing heavily after having Nightmare put back inside of her. Her horn shot out little spirts of sparks as she loses her magical ability.

“What is happening to me? What is going on? Nightmare? Nightmare Moon can you hear me? Nightmare Moon where are you? Celestia why would you do this to me? What have I done to deserve such punishment?”

But then Luna felt this still feeling through her body. And then she felt something warm and wet running down her hind legs. Then as if she kicked in the side a sharp pain shot through her stomach. The pain stops and comes back every few minutes.

“Ahhhhhhhh! What is *gasping for air* happening to me? AGGGGHHHGGGGHHHH!!! What is this? No *then it hit her* could it be? No no no no no not here. Not now. AHHHHHHH! I had a feeling I was, but I didn’t want to believe it but now I see that…AHHHHGGGGGHHHHHH! I…am….With foal.”