• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 749 Views, 24 Comments

The Traveling Pony - screenaholic



A new pony wanders into town, with stories of his travels. All of the ponies are fascinated by his tales, and find him to be one of the happiest most easy-going ponies they've met. But one pony suspects there is more to him than what he shows.

  • ...
1
 24
 749

Preparations

"Just think of it as opening a valve to allow the magical energy to leak out. The more you open it, the faster the propellers will spin, but the reserves will be depleted at a higher rate." After breakfast Twilight explained to Wind Walker exactly how to store energy in his wings new found addition, and how to use it after stored.

"Alright, sounds simple enough." He picked up the wings and examined the violet gem closely. "I would prefer to have some time to practice before using it in a race though."

"Maybe we can get Rainbow Dash to push the race back."

He shook his head. "Nah, it'll be fine. Occasionally you have to have a baptism by fire. Makes things more interesting really."

"Well, shall we get started?"

He held out the wings. "Mares first." Twilight looked at the wings and gathered her violet aura around her horn before a tendril extended out to the matching gem in front of her. "Alright, I guess it's my turn." Wind Walker followed suit, extending an olive finger of energy to the gem. "Well, I guess we're stuck spending another day together."

It would take all day to fill the amethyst to capacity with magical energy. Twilight offered to do it herself so that Wind Walker wouldn't be tired for his race tomorrow, but the stallion insisted on helping. He wanted to make sure he knew how to use the new addition to his wings. With two unicorns splitting the load, neither would feel the drain to much. They wouldn't be volunteering for any physical exertion that day, but they would feel perfectly fine after a good night's sleep.

"Yeah, I guess we are. So, what do you want to do?"

Wind Walker stuffed the wings into his saddle bags. "I want to see the work the girls have been doing for the race." He slung the bags onto his back. He looked odd wearing a bag being probed with two colored tendrils, but as long as they stayed within several yards of the bags the fabric wouldn't interfere with their spells. "You up for a walk to Sweet Apple Acres?"

"Sure, let's go."


"Thanks for the ride Big Macintosh," Twilight said jumping off of the wagon with Wind Walker. When the two arrived at Sweet Apple Acres, Big Macintosh told them that the girls were setting up the stands at a far end of the property. He offered to give them a lift so they could save their energy for the wings.

"Eeyup." The large stallion walked off to resume his work.

"Darn it Pinkie, hold the ladder still." Twilight and Wind Walker turned to examine their friends work. Applejack was atop a ladder nailing a board onto the stands well into construction.

"Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie ate a cupcake whole before using both of her forehooves to steady the ladder. Nearby Rarity was hanging banners to decorate the stands.

Wind Walker gave a long whistle as he admired the work and walked towards the mares. "Wowie girls, you did all this just for me? You shouldn't have." He put a hoof over his heart, playfully pretending that he was deeply touched. "It feels just like Hearth's Warming Eve." He wiped away a nonexistent tear.

"Isn't it just super duper?" Twilight wasn't exactly sure when the pink pony ran next to them, but she was now standing at their side examining the stands with them. "This is gonna be the most funerific flying-unicorn pegasus race ever! It might be the only flying-unicorn pegasus race ever, but still!"

"Pinkie. Pinkie! Ah told ya to-whoo, whoooooo!" The ladder toppled over and Applejack fell to the ground. "Ow."

"You ok there Applejack?" Wind Walker asked as he walked over to help her up.

"Yeah, ah'm fine. Weren't that bad a fall." She accepted his help up and put her fallen stetson back on her head.

Wind Walker looked at the stands. "It looks great Applejack, but isn't it a little big? How many ponies are you expecting to come?"

"You kiddin' me sugarcube? Them couple of flight shows you put on 'round town got ponies mighty interested in them fancy metal wings ah yours. When word got round that you'd be racin' Rainbow, the townsponies got more excited than a pig with fresh slop. An' at two bits a head, ah'll be earnin' enough money to fix up the barn."

Wind Walker gave a smile. "Well I'm glad to help."

"Why did you set the stands up all the way out here AJ?" Twilight asked.

"This here's the tallest hill in Sweet Apple Acres, it'll be the best place fa' ponies to watch the race."

"Well this may be the best spot, but I can barely even see all of the track," Wind Walker said as he was looking at the cloud course the two pegasus mares had been setting up.

"Here, use these." Pinkie Pie stuck her hoof in a bush and pulled out a pair of binoculars. "I keep binoculars all over Ponyville, in case of binocular emergencies." She handed them to Wind Walker. He took them and examined the course.

"It looks great." He held them out to Twilight. "Wanna see?"

"Sure." She took them and examined the course. It was rather elaborate, with plenty of twists, turns, and rings to fly through. With Rainbow Dash in charge of designing the course, Twilight wasn't surprised. It seemed to spread across most of Sweet Apple Acres, with the finish line being right above the stands. Twilight spotted Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash on the opposite side of the course. "It does look great." She turned back to her friends to find Applejack and Pinkie Pie examining the bag on Wind Walker's side and the magic trails going into it.

"So this the magic enchantment Twilight put on your wings?" Applejack asked.

"Sure is." Wind Walker removed the wings from the bags to give them a better view.

"Wow, that amethyst looks super pretty Rarity," Pinkie said. "You did a great job."

"Why thank you Pinkie. Wind Walker chose that gem special." Rarity turned to Twilight and winked. "Didn't he Twilight?" Twilight gave only a blush in response and Rarity smiled in amusement.

"I'm sorry we can't help you ladies, but we have to spend all day pouring our energy into this gem." Wind Walker said, giving no indication of even noticing Rarity teasing Twilight.

"Don't you worry none sugarcube. We can do this just fine. You two run along and just concentrate on gettin' them wings ready for the big race."

"Sure thing, we'll get outta your hair." He turned around to leave. "Ready to go Twilight?"

"Uh, yeah. Right behind you."