• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 1,466 Views, 39 Comments

Sword Art Equestria - Navy Shadow



The new NerveGear game Sword Art Online has just come out. only 10000 copies are available and Kirito has one. This is the game that will change everyone's life. but is it for the better?

  • ...
18
 39
 1,466

Chapter 0 - Introduction

Sword Art Equestria - Introduction

“Hello and welcome to GamerTV, the number one source for your gaming news, My name is Lisa and today we are covering the lauch of the first ever NerveGear MMO ‘Sword Art Online’” Kirito listened with intent as he was waiting for the game servers to launch so he could play. Kirito was a hardcore gamer, at least by his standards, he was chosen as one of only one thousand people to be able to play the beta version of ‘Sword Art Online’ And as one of those beta testers he was able to pre-purchase the game early and not have to wait around in queue’s to have a slim chance at getting one of the only ten thousand first edition copies. no more were being made until a later date. Kirito found this strange because why would you only produce ten thousand copies of one of the most hyped MMORPG’s to date.

“We’re joined by the creator of ‘Sword Art Online’ Kayaba Akihiko, Welcome to the show”
“Pleasure to be here on this fine day” Kayaba spoke, seeming as excited as everyone else for the release of the game. “I hope the release of SAO today has you all very excited, its a fresh new concept that i hope all ten thousand First Edition players will love. Sorry but i got to dash. i have preparations to take care of.”

Kirito found himself drifting into thought while Kayaba was speaking, just thinking about unrelated things like his family, friends, even his favorite TV shows. he found himself thinking about the “My Little Pony” craze that was alive on the internet a few years back and how he got sucked into it himself. He loved the show and the “Brony” fandom and would love to re-live that time again.

Kirito noticed the time, 12:55 PM, Server’s are scheduled to be opened at 1 PM so Kirito switched off the news feed and prepared to spend a few hours inside the game world as he laid on his bed and put on the NerveGear.

The NerveGear was like a motorcycle crash helmet, it covered your head and strapped on at the bottom, a screen where your eyes are supposed to be. The system worked by connecting directly to your brain to provide the ultimate video game experience. Every game made for the NerveGear could emulate Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch and Smell. It manipulated the senses to provide an ultimate experience. Unfortunately no NG games had even come close to real life senses yet but from Kirito’s beta experience he knew that SAO was able make the NerveGear live up to expectations.

Kirito looked at the clock, 12:59, it was about to turn to 1PM. He checked the NerveGear’s systems. Everything was OK, The clock hit 2 and Kirito issued a voice command “Link Start”

The NerveGear’s systems engaged, launching the game but not before asking if Kirito wanted to use his character data from the beta test. Once he selected yes he was sent in, immersed in the world of SAO, everything in the real world left behind.


Kirito’s character from the SAO beta had been carried over to the full release so he could jump straight in. He had everything he needed equipped although he had been reset to level 1 to make sure he didn’t have an unfair advantage. The town around him, Known as Starting City, was huge, it spanned a large portion of the base of the world of Aincrad. A one hundred floor tower, with a boss and dungeon at each layer. the game was beaten when the boss at floor 100 was beaten, even in the extensive beta testing this hadn’t been accomplished, Kirito was one of the top players in the beta testing and even he couldn’t dream of reaching the top floor, only ever reaching floor 8.

While running around Starting City, Kirito was stopped by a strange man with red hair who had chased him down for some reason
“You move like you’ve been here before, You were in the beta test... right?” The strange man spoke to him.
“Y-Yeah.. I was” Kirito said, surprised that someone could tell he was a beta player just from his movements around the city
“My name is Klein, its my first day here, do you think you could show me the ropes, please?” Klein started to beg
“Ok...” Kirito was shocked someone would ask him for advice.

Kirito travelled with him to an open field just outside Starting City where the lowest level monsters roamed, namely wild boars.
“Alright, show me your fighting style” Kirito asked Klein
Klein geared up to fight the wild boar in front of him, he went in for an attack only to instantly get knocked over onto his back. Klein started to writhe in pain.
“You’re overreacting, you shouldn’t be able to feel any pain at all” Kirito watched, a little bored
“Oh... right. it’s just a habit i guess”
“It’s the inital motion input that's important here, see, if i get the motion right and activate a sword skill at the same time, the game will make sure your technique hits”
“Alright I think i get it”
Klein readied another assault at the boar, he activated the skill technique and sliced at the boar as it was running towards him, taking it’s hit points down to 0 and winning the battle.
“YES!, I killed it... this combat is addictive. I heard there’s an infinite amount of skills in the game, is that right?” Kelin was overjoyed and started practicing his sword moves
“I think so, and yes, moving in combat is much more fun. There is no magic in this game though” Kirito pointed out
“An RPG without magic?” Klein looked puzzled. “Brave move, so shall we continue?”

Klien and Kirito started training together until the sun started to set in the world.
“I can't believe this is a game, this is my first NerveGear experience. i rushed out and bought it just to play SAO today, i was really lucky to get a copy of the game, seeing as only ten thousand were sold” Klein was fascinated with this world.
“During the beta test, this game was all I could think about, day and night, i feel more alive here than I do in the real world” Kirito confessed “Anyway. want to hunt some more?”
“I’d love to but I’m starving... I have hot food being delivered soon but i’ll log back in as soon as I'm finished eating, maybe when I come back you can meet some friends that I brought from another game”
“Uh...” Kirito looked nervous
“Oh, it’s okay you don't have to, maybe some other time...I’m really thankful for what you’ve done to help me today, i’ll be sure to repay you sometime. Goodbye”
Klein brought up the game menu as Kirito started walking away
“Huh?” Klein sounded surprised.
Kirito turned around. “What’s up”
“There’s no logout button”
Kirito brought up the menu to see for himself, as expected there was also no logout button
“Well, its the first day out of beta. the server people are probably freaking out fixing it right now” Klein tried to reassure himself. “Is there any other way to log out?”
Kirito tried to think but to no avail “No, the only way out is through the menu
“Well... I’ll just rip the NerveGear off my head”
“You can't, the NerveGear intercepts all signals from the brain, and sends them here into the game”
“They could shut down the server and log everyone out in situations like this but there’s been no announcement at all”
the Starting City bell began to chime, and Kirito and Klein were surrounded in a blue light.

Suddenly, Klein and Kirito were teleported into the main plaza of Starting City, along with the 9,998 other SAO players currently online, a dome formed around them, leaving them all to wonder what was happening. Whispers turned into worried cries as nothing was happening and everyone was finding they couldn't take off the NerveGear or logout. The dome was made of blue hexagonal cells. One started blinking red with the word “Urgent” on it. The whole dome quickly turned from blue to red and a figure started to appear where the flashing word was, after the figure had everyone’s attention it began to speak.

“Hello, Players of Sword Art Online. My name is Kayaba, Welcome to my world”

Kayaba Akihiko, the creator of the NerveGear and the game.

“I am sure you are all aware of the problem of not being able to lag out out of the game. I am here to tell you that this infact is not a glitch, This is an inbuilt feature of SAO.”

Gasps echoed across the plaza, everyone wondering what was going on. Kirito stood and listened calmly.

“You will not be able to log out of SAO on your own, nobody on the outside can remove your NerveGear. if this is attempted, the transmitter inside the NerveGear will send out a burst of microwave radiation, destroying your brain and ending your life.” Kayaba went silent

“This guy is nuts” Klein said, trying to reassure himself again.
“No, he’s right” Kirito spoke “The transmitter is just like one inside a microwave oven, if the limiter is turned off it could fry our brains.”

Kayaba began to speak again

“And due to the inbuilt battery, the power also cannot be cut. Sadly a few friends and family of other players have tried removing the NerveGear already and they have been killed. 213 players exactly” Kayaba silenced himself to let the panic spread across the crowd.

Everyone was silent, staring at Kayaba’s avatar

“News organisations across the world have started to report on the deaths. You also can no longer respawn, when your HP reaches 0, your avatar is permanantly deleted, and so is your life”

Everyone had lost all motivation, standing there and staring at the game master avatar towering above them, nobody knowing what to do. Kirito clenched his fists

“Now to log out there is only one requirement, clear the game. You are currently on floor 1. the lowest level of Aincrad, defeat the dungeon and floor boss on each level to progress to the next and defeat the final boss on floor 100 to clear the game.

“And finally. I have provided you all 2 gifts in your inventory, please take a look”

Kirito opened his inventory and there were 2 items. An item called “Magic Mirror” and an item called “Dream Catcher”

Kayaba started to speak again

“The first item, The Magic Mirror, equip it in your hands now”

Everyone equipped it and started to look into it. One by one everybodies appearance started to change, Kirito looked into his and it showed his game alter ego, he started glowing blue and popped into a new physical form. He looked into the mirror again to see his real life face in the game. Before Kirito had a chance to be surprised, Kayaba started to talk again

“You may now notice your avatars have changed into your real life physical form, you may be wondering how I did this miraculous programming? When you were calibrating the NerveGear for the first time it made you touch yourself in different positions such as your arms and legs, and then it scanned your face. This is where I got the data from... Now your second item counts as a lottery ticket. I will spin the wheel and whichever player is picked gets to bring one dream into this world and make it a reality. I shall start the wheel spinning”

A wheel appeared next to Kayaba’s projection, it had names on it. Names of every logged on player at the time, all 10,000 of them.

“Beta players names are included twice, so you have an extra chance”

Kirito’s hopes went up. He had realised earlier on that there will be no way out of this game unless it is beaten. And considering that 1000 players only got to the 8th floor in a few months, he was going to be here a while, years maybe. So he wanted to bring some peace into this world. He wanted to bring back the pony craze into SAO. He wanted to bring Equestria.

The wheel spun and the names became one huge blur of dark yellow as ten thousand names were flung around the wheel.

It started to slow down, slow enough so that Kirito could read some of the names that were flying past.

It slowed even more, almost coming to a halt, going at around 1 name per second now. As it slowed even further, Kirito saw his own character name and miraculously, the wheel stopped on him. (What did you think would happen, seriously?)

A white aura shone around Kirito as he was raised in the air and entered into a private conversation with Kayaba.

“Kirito. It seems you are the chosen one. A beta player and winner of my little lottery, please explain the dream you want bringing to reality in this world” Kayaba spoke with a softer tone than before

“The television show from years ago called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I want the world inside that show, Equestria, bringing to life inside SAO. Because as you have drained all the happiness out of this world and made it into a fight for survival. I want to bring some of that happiness back.” Kirito said with passion behind every word

“So be it, The server shall be restarted after the event at hand to put your dream into Aincrad.”

Kirito was lowered back into place and Kayaba began to speak again

“The chosen one has explained to me his dream and the SAO server shall be restarted to place the required effects into the world. Closing the server transfers you to a waiting lobby where you will also not be able to log out, do not try an escape attempt. When service resumes after approximately 5 minutes you will be able to rejoin. Good luck to you all.”

With that Kayaba disappeared and so did Aincrad. Equestria and all its inhabitants being transferred into it, ready to bring happiness into what is now a fight to survive.