• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 1,411 Views, 14 Comments

Top Gun - ru771an

  • ...
13
 14
 1,411

Off to a "Soarin'g start"

"Hey I never got your name!".
"Hey I never got your name!".
"HEY I NEVER GOT YOUR NAME!".

Even after I left Soarin trailing behind, I could still hear his voice. I felt thankful that I didn't tell him my name, otherwise he might embarrasses me or something, and I HATE looking like a fool. Besides, he shouldn't expect me to automatically become his friend, I mean we only met for like 10 seconds.
Having noticed that he was no longer following me, I turned my head round and see that he was fading into nothing, my better flying speed had done its job and it was likely that he couldn't follow me.

It didn't take long for me to find the Academy, having been there at least five times every year regularly,and more for their shows I could find me way to the base in my sleep. Its a former airfield and as high as Cloudsdale in the sky.

But flying in from above and getting to explore it from a different angle, topside was a new experience. I saw glittering lights that hung on hangers with massive doors, numerous support facility's and heavy infrastructure, a huge centre ring stadium with a hole in the middle was where I came the most as a filly (and still do). Despite the war like structures below me, I knew that this used to be the main airbase for the Equestrian air force and wasn't really a surprise for me.

Still the best part of this place is the literally enormous runway that stretches from one end to other. The white stripe markings clearly marked it out as a active runway and with common sense I touched down on the main entrance which also doubled as the recruitment centre for this years applicants. Which will mostly fail as they don't have the skills, I'm expecting a huge drop out in the first week, then after sometime it will just be me. The Wonderbolts will take me in and soon due to my awesomeness and epic flying skills, then I'll depose the captain and claim his role for myself, becoming the LEADER OF THE WONDERBOLTS MWHAHAHAHA.

Or maybe Ill just use my skill and wait for him to get old, yeah that sounds like a better solution.

"Uh Miss, do you have your application with you and the letter?". I was stopped from thinking about my evil plans by a security guard with shades and a blue police jacket.
"Ah yes, *umph* here it is". After fumbling around with my saddlebags, I found the letter of approval and handed it to him.
"Thanks..Miss Spitfire?". The guard looked down at the floor, mumbling something about a magazine. I decided not to press the issue and he handed it back without delay, having put a stamp on it.

"Turn left for you assignment, other recruits are waiting". Was the last thing I heard from the guard before he stopped another recruit and did the same.

So I went past the checkout that the guard was occupying, a pair of winged guards with the Wonderbolt insignia stopped me and asked for my papers, I gave them it and they checked it quickly, then I was on my way again.



(Some matter of minutes later. IE forward in time when Spitfire is where she needs to be because despite being on his holiday the Author cannot be bothered to get off his lazy Russian arse and write more :P).

Having dumped my saddlebags and other stuff on the floor like the other recruits, I now stood in a line with them, about 17 pegasus of both sexes stood with me on the runway, its massive length stretched for hundreds of metres backwards and forwards.

Since we were told to: quote. "Stand on the runway in a line, and shut up. Dont move and wait until a ranking officer can tell us to move or breathe". None of us dared to disobey that order it was mostly quiet except for the occasional nervous movement, or the small whisper to ponies that knew each other.

Being me I decided to take things a step further and I started to examine the other ponies since there was nothing better to do. Ok so I'm on the far right, being the last out of two to get noticed since they always appear from the left.
The Stallion to the right of me had a steel frame cutie mark which went nicely with his gunmetal body, white wings and other heavy features. I made a mental note to try and get some information out of him as he looked like the guy that could "get around places"

Next to the gunmetal being, there stood a completely timid little yellow mare. I could see the fear in her eyes of disobeying orders and not matter what, she refused to even move her eyes. Seriously, how did she even get sent the invitation?.

The rest of the sorry bunch wasn't much to say about, I knew a few them. Steel Hammer the roughly and jockish pegasus trying to chat up everything, Red Thorn the mare who was famed for her lightning fast reactions and use of thermals to out run anything and everything. Both of them were here with me. I walked forward and turned my head to the left, scanning up and down the line in order to spot any other ponies that I knew.

I had also hoped that the light blue colt named Soarin had hopefully flown into a thunderstorm and been passed off to hospital. I honestly don't know why I have such a negative reaction to that pony, must be just Spitfire being Spitfire!.

*Krunch*.
Having heard the sound of multiple hooves being pressed and walking onto heavy grade tarmac, I quickly stepped back into line and put my body straight, wings folded and head+eyes dead centre. I accomplished it just in the nick of time as several raised voices thundered through the air.

"Seriously just 18,19,20...20 this year? we had over sixty last year!. How I am supposed to do my job if the desk fucks cant send out enough letters to enough ponies?". The first and loudest literally screamed, prompting a gasp of nervousness from the previously stotic yellow mare on the furthest right, I did my best not to snicker as the voices and sounds of hooves came closer.

"But Captain Fulcrum! We couldn't find any ponies other than these! Only a few are actually talented, others had their parents pay to get in". The who I presumed to be a aide was quickly shut up and flew away.
Captain Fulcrum is here.....Fulcrum. If I can show him my moves and wow this guy...
And now the Captain walked down the line, asking questions delivered with a threatening tone, his every step was a hammer on which legends of flying were forged. And he was angry, annoyed and pissed.

I cant believe I'm here.
This was my chance to get in, some of the recruits were already bending under the pressure and had fallen over. But not me.
"You! What is your name". I stopped day dreaming and opened my eyes to be confronted with the deathly features of Fulcrum. For a second we held a staring contest and I could feel him probing my brain for information.
"Spitfire". I answered cooly and smirked, this little scare tactic of his wasn't going to work on me!. But still, I help my breath and waited for an answer.

"Why are you here?". The Captain asked, leering forward and daring me to make the wrong move. I could tell he was annoyed by my smirking and wanted to make an example. I wouldn't give him the chance though.

"To be a Wonderbolt...sir".
"Decent answer..Spitifre, you might even make it past the first round of tests, Soarins your wing pony because he's managed to not pass out like half the little foals here. Training starts tomorrow,Your going to be bunked at A-2.....What are you waiting for? GET MOVING.". And with that he flew off. Geez I know that he has anger problems but hes just killed off half the recruits by shouting at them. Well that means less work for me


Heh just beaten off the captain of the Wonderbolts! Go Spitfire! Go Spitfire!.
The A section of buildings is right next to the main hall, and cafe.
Since there arnt many of us, that means we can get a room each.

Wait.
Who did he say my Wing pony was?.
Soarin.
He's here?.

I walked off and found my saddle bugs, clipped them in and made sure the straps was on tight before leaving for Bunk section A-2. I kept a steady rhythm of steps to keep cool and controlled, the wind was too bad so my mane was alright as I passed through the multiple buildings that exited off the enormous runway. Which was no filled with medical staff trying to revive the unfortunate weak ones who could stand Fulcrums rage.

And then, he arrived.

"Hey I didn't catch you name". The same voice that had annoyed me some hours ago was back and from behind. I turned round with a look of disappointment on my face.
"What do you want?". I grunted and took in the wonderful (not) view Soarin. He was breathing heavily, so he must of just noticed me in time and rushed over. Likewise he was wearing saddle bags.

"Just trying to say "hi" we are going to be partners right?". The almost blue grey pegasus took the barbed comment in his stride much to my dismay and flashed a cocky grin before getting closer.

I just realised something.......Soarin's trying to hit on me.......

Author's Note:

Sorry for simple words, despite being on holiday and no work. I cant find the time to read any books that has been suggested by users on other stories, uh thanks for reading. Any errors and anything that can be flawed with. Let me know please, I like to try and minimize errors.