• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 3,381 Views, 91 Comments

Foreign Politics - Zh3sh1re



The war has ended, but is the fighting really over?

  • ...
18
 91
 3,381

The Heart of the Pegasi

The morning had been normal, quiet and quite pleasant in the pegasi city of Cloudsdale. The clouds swooshed soothingly around the sky-born city. The city almost glowed in the morning sun, as if it was magical.

At a table at the eastern side of the city, near the very outer wall, at the small diner called "The Heart of the Pegasi", a lone mare was seated and sipping her morning coffee. The morning had been uneventful, seeing that she was one of the few pegasi in Cloudsdale that didn't have work at the moment.

She had one of the very rare days off from her job at the Weather Control Office. Since the weather was completely planned for over a week, leaving it's employees in a rather harmonic mood. The office only needed a few employees working and such, most of them got the day off.

The brisk morning air blew in over Cloudsdale, making some of the looser clouds shift gently in their very important task of holding the city intact and together. The clouds were strong, there were no pony saying otherwise, but clouds were magical things. They seemed to be hard as rock, flexible as rubber, but at the same time, they look like a pool of water in the middle of the air.

Such was the thought process of the young mare as she sipped her coffee. She leaned back against the chair, and smiled in ultimate content. "This is life...." She said with a satisfied voice.

But... Suddenly a strange sound entered her ears. She snapped back to attention, and began to look around for the origin of the truly strange sound. "Hmh... That's odd...." She said to no one in particular. The sound was unlike anything she had ever heard before...

The skies near Cloudsdale

The radio sparked in the mix-match group of fighters, consisting of both Yak-9's and IL-2's, but not only that. Because this was a mission to destroy the city's capacity to retaliate, three Tupolev Tu-2's had been assigned to the task-force, designated Red Tide.

They were really the only planes available in large numbers anymore, and the jet's had barely taken of the ground. Due to the importance of this mission, it was deemed more safe to give the task to something a little more reliable than experimental planes.

"Comrade, establish formation and hold it. According to our maps, we are upon the city of Cloudsdale in a few moments. Protect the bombers at all cost. To bring down the city, we need their bombs."

The Tu-2's were armed with thermite incendiary bombs, capable of leveling most cities due to raging fires. The clouds are made of water, so from the scientists effort, it was understood that they would impact the clouds, and cause very large areas to dissipate.

"This is Sickle. We have spotted the city through the clouds. We are raising ourselves to an altitude better for bombing. I suggest you ready yourself, and steer clear of it." The Tupolev navigator said to the fighters around it over the radio. He watched with satisfaction as the heavy aircraft began to raise, and the fighters darted to the sides, making room.

"All units, time to introduce them to HELLFIRE!" The pilot said, smirking behind his high-altitude mask. The bomber looked through the scope, seeing the floating city below. He clicked the open bomb-doors button, and the bombs began to drop like droplets in a rain-weather.

???

Pain... Her whole body hurt, and felt as if it was on fire. She tried to move her body, but everything hurt too much. She opened her eyes, but immediately shut them due to the light. She tried again, slower this time. The sight destroyed her heart.

The giant city, built upon clouds, thought to stand forever, was burning.

She was lying below it, on the soft grass. Of course, she couldn't feel it. Her skin was gone. That her eyes remained was a mystery. She began to cry softly as she looked up at the once proud city, being turned into vapor. Not a trace being left, except for the black water stained with soot raining down to the earth..

Skies over Cloudsdale

"Haha, comrade! The city is burning! This mission was a piece of ca-..." The radio was cut off, and replaced with static.

"Hammer three... Are you there..? Comrade..?" The pilot of one of the Yak-9's began to speak, calling out to the plane. He had no idea what just happened to it, until...

"Chyort!" He screamed as a burning IL-2 whizzed past his cockpit. He pulled the plane to the left, narrowly avoiding it. Then, it began to happen. Purple explosions sounding all around his plane. "Comrades! AA weaponry is firing upon us!... Can anyone see them!?" His voice was desperate. The explosions were getting nearer, and he wasn't going to be able to keep away from them forever.

"There! On the ridge, down by that hill!" Another pilot informed him. "I'm going in for a strafing run." He saw the plane in question turn down, and lining up with the small dots on the ridge. His machine guns began to bark and chatter, tearing the ground where the targets where standing.

The dust picked up by the impacts settled, allowing him to get a good look at the site. Several ponies, riddled with holes, in pools of blood. He snorted. "Good riddance, Svoloch." He said with hate in his voice. That pilot was his friend.

"All planes, return to base... Our mission is done here." The Yu-2 plane stated, and turned around. Silently, he pondered if this was the first casualty of the war. He didn't think so, but... It sure as hell might have been. The ponies hadn't offered much of a resistance, but what did he know? He was just a pilot...

Not that he cared that much to begin with. He was a soldier of the USSR, and he was proud to serve the motherland. As long as he got to kill more ponies, the ones who had mercilessly killed his friend, he was happy.