• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 2,348 Views, 14 Comments

Discordant Melody - Tatsurou



Sequel to "Harmony of Chaos". When old nightmares return, it falls to the children of former heroes to discover their true power, face down the deepest darkness, and save all worlds from the Greatest Nightmare.

  • ...
6
 14
 2,348

Life is a Miracle

8. Life is a Miracle

"Discord, are you INSANE!" Celestia was pale, sweating, and looked like she was about to faint. "Wait...you aren't my Discord. How do you even KNOW about that? You're the Discord that came here with Screwball from Nightmare Sparkle's world."

"Not quite correct, my dear," Discord said, his voice as calm and collected as ever. "With the death of Nightmare Sparkle, the last of her worlds Keythreads was severed. Her world was slowly collapsing in on itself. The Discord from that world thought to burn his life force for the strength to defeat Metal Sonic...but realized he was the only thing allowing the other elements brought from his world - such as his daughter - to continue to exist. His strength had been mostly expended bringing the children home. So he struck a deal with me." Discord smiled as he seemed totally relaxed as always. "He took that which made him distinct and seperate from me, and made it a part of me, feeding his power and essence into me as well. I'm both him and me now. I'd be referring to myself as we, but that's Luna's schtick."

"We are unamaused," Luna said from the side, standing up as she finished healing Sonic.

Celestia shook her head. "That explains why you were able to overpower him so easily, and how you know about the seventh element...but you also know why it's crazy to even consider it!"

Twilight stared in shock. She'd never seen Celestia look like this. In fact, the last time she'd seen any pony in such a state...it was her own reflection, the day she feared being late in sending her mentor a friendship report. "Celestia, what's wrong? What is the sev-"

"Not now, Twilight!" Celestia snapped, her eyes not leaving Discord. Everyone stared in shock as Twilight staggered backward. Celestia didn't seem to notice. "Discord, you know why we can't use it! You know how dangerous it is! Why would you even think we could dare-"

"Before you go any further," Discord interrupted, "I suggest you take a close look at Maria's flank. It has some new decoration."

Twilight turned, excited. "Oh, Maria! You got your Cutie Mark? Let me see." As Maria turned to show off her Cutie Mark, Twilight gasped. "What an interesting design! I've never seen a Cutie Mark like that before. I wonder what it represents." She turned. "Celestia, any ideas?"

Celestia was staring at Maria's Cutie Mark like she'd seen a ghost...or the enactment of a doomsday prophecy. "Mother's Mercy, protect us," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

"As you can see," Discord said smoothly, "the Fates are on our side in this."

Celestia rounded on him, shaking in fear. "But still, Discord! You know how dangerous this could be! If the power goes awry, it could strip the living energy from the entire world!"

"And if we don't use it, Metal Sonic WILL break free from Tartarus and do exactly the same thing with the power of Death...and he won't stop with our world." Discord looked strangely...focused. "It's your choice, Celestia. You're the only one who can retrieve it from its resting place. The makers made sure of that. If we do this, the worst outcome ends with the destruction of our world...and only our world, as he will be trapped in a circle of unlife, unable to escape. If we do nothing, we face the destruction of ALL worlds. If this works, he's destroyed and everything's hunky dory. Well?"

Celestia shuddered. "I don't like this..." Celestia turned her eyes to the sun as the moon moved aside, letting the light shine.

"Don't worry, Celestia," Discord said with a smile. "I have a plan."

Celestia looked at him sidelong. "THAT'S what worries me," she said flatly, and her horn began to glow. A bright light shot from the sun to the ground. Sitting on the ground was a shimmering gold chest, not unlike the one that held the six Elements of Harmony normally.

Discord walked forward. "Gather round, kiddies, it's story time." He stood before the chest. "In the beginning of days, the Great Makers created Equestria using the Seven Elements of Harmony. The first Element brought life to the entire world. The second - magic - gave certain forms of life the ability to understand their world and manipulate it to a certain degree. The remaining five gave them a physical and moral awareness, making those entities the driving force that moved the world forward, allowing it to grow. The five plus Magic have been used by you ponies for any number of threats to the world." He stared down at the golden chest. "While the Makers knew this was right and proper for Harmony to be used as such, they knew that the Seventh Element - the First Element - was too dangerous to be trusted to mortals. It had given life to the world...and as such, could easily be used to strip that life away. So they sealed it in a special chest and placed it in the center of the sun. Only a pony who could manipulate the sun in its entirety - and knew of the chest - could retrieve it...and it was made so that only the essence of chaos could open it." Reaching forward, he touched the chest, and it slowly creaked open. "Mares and Gentlecolts...I give you the Element of Life."

Everyone stared in awe at what lay within the chest. While the other elements were necklaces or a crown, this element was a full saddle, clearly meant to be worn across the entire body. The back of the saddle - lying across a pony's spine - was a caduceus. At the shoulders, a scale bar swung outward. On chains to the right hung a feather; to the left hung a skull. The entire thing glowed, as it was made of pure gold and star touched crystal.

Maria was the first to speak. "It's...it's my Cutie Mark..."

Discord nodded. "That's right, Maria. Your special talent...is the magic of Life and Death. You were able to use your magic to bring Screwball's father back to life, when without your aid he would have been trapped eternally in his stone prison, powerless. And then, you purged the death magic in the wounds of two others, restoring both eyes and limbs. That is rare and powerful magic. That it should be your Cutie Mark...proves that it is your birthright to wield this Element." He waited for a time, then looked sharply at her. "Take it, Maria. No one else dares touch it."

Nodding, Maria walked forward. Her horn glowed, and the Element levitated out of the chest and placed itself around her small frame, shifting to fit her snugly. She shivered. "It feels...cold and warm at the same time."

Discord nodded. "Life...and Death."

Celestia turned to Discord. "The Element of Life is tied to both Harmony AND Chaos Discord. If she wields it in conjunction with the other Elements, the power will be out of balance!"

Discord smirked. "Then it's a good thing I swiped these back from Metal, isn't it?" Seven glowing, familiar gemstones floated out from his body to orbit him like a halo.

"The Chaos Emeralds!" Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Rainbow Dash shouted together.

"Of course, the sheer power of Life is more then mere Chaos could balance," Discord continued. "So they'll need a bit of a boost." He glanced up at the air, where a ripple ahd appeared. "Right on schedule, Doctor."

A massive sphere of white light expanded. When it vanished, 36 Egg Carriers appeared, towing Angel Island in the center of them, now floating in the skies above Canterlot. A small craft floated down from the front Carrier - which was clearly the flagship - and landed gently in front of them. On board were several dozen fierce looking robots that made E-123 Omega's arsenal look like an Egg Pawn. In front of all of them stood a dark brown pony with no mane and a bushy mustache wearing a long, flowing red overcoat.

"Fluttershy? Cherry?" The voice coming from the pony was unmistakable. "Are you alright?"

"We're just fine for now, Ivo," Fluttershy responded. "But are you sure you brought enough troops?" She glanced up at the Carriers. "I would have thought you'd bring the whole fleet."

"This is a rescue mission, not an invasion," he replied calmly as everyone boarded the craft. "Besides, that would leave Mobius defensless should we fail here. Besides, I think over 3,000 Egg Angels is more than enough."

"Egg Angels?" Sonic said, obviously holding in laughter. "Isn't that a little off for your usual naming, Eggman?"

Fluttershy smiled. "He based their design off my very own Angel Bunny in his Mobian form. Wasn't that sweet of him?"

As Sonic fell silent, Lotus Blossom chuckled. "Wow Dad," she said to Ivo, "and here I thought it was only YOU Mom had whipped."

That started a laugh out of everyone, leading Twistie to playfully punch Lotus Blossom. "Hey! Laughter's my schtick, noob!" More laughter.

They flew in through the caverns of Angel Island, coming to rest in a chamber filled with crystals. A large crystal pedastel held the Master Emerald, surrounded by seven large dips, looking to be able to hold gems of the same size. Flying forward, Discord placed a Chaos Emerald in each Cavity, then waited.

There was a bright flare of multicolored light...and the Super Emeralds glowed brightly. Suddenly, the entire world began to shudder.

"He's breaking through," Discord whispered.

In the distance, a hollow, echoing voice called out, "Are you ready?"

"We're not ready!" Discord snapped. He cursed under his breath. "I'll hold him in Tartarus as long as I can. Kids, each of you get on top of one of the Super Emeralds. Once everything's in position, call on the power of the Emeralds and the Elements...simultaneously!" He flew outward.

The youngsters ran forward to get into position, their parents calling out last words of encouragement.

"Time to finish the job, son!" Fang called out. "Make him eat lead!"

"Now make sure you come back in one piece!" Applejack called. "It's Apple Buckin season next week, and I won't hear of you ditchin!"

"Go get him Twisty!" Tails called.

"Make him die laughing!" Pinkie shouted, doing a back flip.

"Be careful Gem!" Rarity called.

"Show him he crossed the wrong dragon, son!" Spike's voice was filled with a fierce pride.

"Cherry, Lotus...go punish that bad boy," Fluttershy told her child calmly.

"Show him he'll never beat the Robotniks!" Ivo called.

"Aurora! Fly fast, fly hard...fly free!" Rainbow Dash had tears in her eyes as she watched her daughter take her place on the emerald.

"Show that faker who's the real hedgehog! ...pony...hedgepony ...dragon...you know what I mean!" Sonic cursed himself silently for fumbling his words, but grinned when his daughter laughed.

"Stardust, Maria...you are the children of Ultimate Life!" Shadow told them fiercely. "Show that machine what that really means!"

"I'm so proud of you both," Twilight said quietly. "I know you'll save us all. I believe in you!"

As the children smiled at their parents, they closed their eyes and called on the power. They floated upward as the Super Emeralds began to spin around the Master Emerald, becoming a circle of rainbow Light beneath them. Then, without warning...the Super Emeralds shattered! As everyone gasped in shock...the emerald fragments gathered, coalescing around the Elements of Harmony.

Around the Element of Honesty, the emerald fragments expanded into a full suit of futuristic body armor. Weaponry of all sorts was built in, as Snap tested each as it appeared. The power of Chaos and Harmony had turned him...into Dead Lock.

Around the Element of Laughter, the fragments became a corona of light, generating limitless power that took shape randomly as guided by Twistie's thoughts. Twistie had become...Chaos Star.

Around the Element of Generosity, the fragments fused into the body of the bearer. A full fledged dragicorn erupted outward, fueled by the full strength of Magic and Might. A monster forged to save the world...Gem had become Grendel.

Around the Element of Kindness, the fragments became a flowing white robe that cascaded around Cherry's body and altered her form. As she faced forward, she had an angelic beauty as the power of chaos glowed from within her. But when she turned around, Lotus Blossom's face showed from the back of her head, grinning with cruelty. Cherry and Lotus Blossom had become...Yanus.

Around the Element of Loyalty, the fragments became a part of Aurora's living flesh, amplifying her speed and power. Slowly, a spiral horn extended from her forehead, casting a silver sheen over her body. A chill wind wrapped around her body, the rainbows of her mane becoming cold as ice. Aurora had become...Boreas.

Around the Element of Magic, the emerald fragments became a suit of paladin armor, amplifying the magic of the bearer. Projectors on each hoof amplified his shield spells to be projected to anyone he could sense at full strength. Stardust Mail had become...Galaxy Knight.

Around the Element of Life, the fragments became only an aura of power, amplifying the magic contained within. Maria's form did not change, only grew in power until she knew she could accomplish her goals. Nothing would stop her now.

As the transformation completed, the world shuddered, and Ivo pressed some buttons on a control mechanism. "I've detailed equal squadrons to follow each of you. This fight will be the toughest yet...tougher than any your parents faced. But I know you can do it."

The children nodded to their parents. Galaxy Knight lifted his head. "Chaos Control." The children warped from the caverns to the outside.

The sky was torn open, and a howling void screamed from beyond, hungering for the world of life. Extending from it was a metal monstrosity the likes of which they had never seen. Eight arms extended from within the void, each weilding a cruel scythe in the hand. No legs were visible, and the arms were unattatched to the extended torso. The head was strangely extended, looking not unlike that of a xenomorph. Upon the face were no less than thirteen mouths, each with an eye inside.

A voice echoed from the creature, but not from any of its many mouths. "You have changed. So have I. I will not fall so easy this time. I am Metal Reaper. Your souls are mine." With an unearthly roar, it lunged, swinging its scythes.

The children scattered. *We need a plan of attack!* Galaxy Knight thought to the others.

*Command the troops!* Yanus spoke in Cherry's voice. *I'm going to get some more help. This isn't just our battle!* She vanished in light as she went in search of further aid.

The battle engaged in earnest. Each of the six remaining children commanded hundreds of the Egg Angels, which - while they were unable to do much damage to the Metal Reaper - were able to prevent it from emerging any further into Equestria or doing damage to the world as a whole.

Dead Lock pounded with every weapon at his disposal. "We aren't doing any damage!" he snarled into his com link.

"Keep it up!" Chaos Star cried, laughing, as she bombarded Metal Reaper with everything she could imagine...including an entire kitchenette. "We'll figure something out eventually!"

"I'm not able to do enough damage!" Gem cried in frustration. His breath attacks didn't even faze the monstrosity.

"My shields won't hold forever!" Galaxy Knight admitted. "If we don't get a plan soon, this is a losing battle."

"Don't give up hope!" Maria cried. "This body is just a shell. The only thing we can really damage is Metal Sonic, the true self inside this thing. If I can get inside..."

Aurora shot upward into the air. "I think I can help you there. Just hold him still!"

"We don't have enough power for that!" Dead Lock cried in frustration.

"I'm givin it all she's got, Captain!" Chaos Star replied.

A sudden hush fell, and they turned. Amassed on the frontier...was a massive force of Ponies, Griffins, Wolves, Dragons...and no less than 12 Ursa Majors. Floating before them, Yanus faced her kind face towards Metal Reaper, but it was Lotus' voice that spoke.

"Alright, you animals! The death of the world is at hand! If this battle fails, we are all dead! Know that we are dead from this moment, and only victory will bring us back to life! For your friends, for your kingdoms, for your children, to victory!"

"YEAH!" a white Pegasus with a heavily muscled body and tiny wings with a dumbbell cutie mark cried, pumping his hooves.

"It's make your Mama's proud time!" Yanus shouted agin.

A familiar red and gold dragon cried in a deep voice, "I love my Mama!"

"They say it is madness to battle death!" Yanus called out. "I say...THIS...IS...EQUESTRIA!"

As the amassed force charged forward to assault the Metal Reaper, Chaos Star called out to Yanus over comlink, "*giggle* Otaku!"

The amassed army didn't try to do damage. They simply lunged forward, latching onto any mobile piece of the Metal Reaper, holding what they could grab in place through sheer force of determination, numbers, and magic. Seeing that it was working, Galaxy Knight commanded all Egg Angels to do likewise. With this much force holding him back, Metal Reaper was stalled...but he was still struggling. "Now, Boreas!" he called.

*Maria,* Boreas thought in her mind, *I'm gonna give you your opening.* A hollow screaming could be heard from the sky, and everyone looked up.

A streak of Rainbow Light descended from the sky, glowing brighter and brighter. Already beyond a Sonic Rainboom, Boreas sought the next threshhold of speed that the magic of Harmony and Chaos could grant her. Already, she saw everything ahead of her slipping into shades of red, as all that fell behind her stretched into shades of blue. Gathering all her energy for a single moment, just before she impacted the Metal Reaper's back...she boosted.

There was a resounding crack as Boreas leapt into light speed, punching through Metal Reaper leaving a massive hole...and then making a full 180 degree turn just before hitting the groun without losing an ounce of speed, catching the monstrosity on the chin, sending it rocking backward. "NOW MARIA!" Boreas called out.

Maria needed no second urging. She dove, streaking into the hole just as it closed up. Within the beast, she powered through, following her senses until she came to the heart of the beast...inside the skull.

The inside of the skull was arranged like a cross between the bridge of a starship and a throne room. Cables crisscrossed the floor, writhing as power and information flooded through them. In the center of the room floated an apparition that looked like Metal Sonic's original construction configuration...but had no substance. His eyes opened.

"So," he said calmly. "It seems you have found me. Now what?"

Maria floated forward. "Now we end this."

He grinned at her. "I don't know if you've heard...but I'm a non-living soul. You have no power over me."

"Not exactly, Metal Sonic." Maria gestured to her Cutie Mark and the Element of Life. "I know my myths, and not just those of Equestria. In Egyptian mythos, before you can enter the afterlife, your heart - your soul - is weighed against the Feather of Truth. When I saw my Mark and the Element of Life were Identical, I was reminded of the myth. It's time for your soul to be weighed, Metal Sonic." The feather glowed, and Maria's horn glowed with pure white light. A beam lanced forward and struck Metal Sonic's soul.

He staggered back, clutching his chest in pain. "What...what did you do to me?"

Maria smiled sadly. "I gave you life. Now I give you warning. End this. Sever your ties to the power of the underworld. You can still be saved."

Metal Sonic snarled. "Why would I want to be saved...when I'm winning? Already your forces tire holding me at bay. Soon I will overwhelm them completely!"

Maria sighed. "Did you know that, before the invasion, Nightmare Sparkle had worked great magics that WEREN'T tied to death, but to life?"

Metal Sonic's eyes narrowed. "What has that to do with me?"

Maria glared at him, her eyes hard. Deep inside, he shuddered at the intensity of that gaze. "Everything, Metal Sonic...because when you drained her of her life and magic...more than one soul was destroyed, more than one life snuffed out!"

Metal Sonic flinched back. "YOU LIE!"

"Never, Metal Sonic. It was why I healed her...and why I must now do this." Her horn glowed again...but this time, it was a black and purple miasma, with a red glow filling her eyes and the skull glowing. "For your unborn!" A beam of black light shot forth, impacting Metal Sonic's soul.

He screamed in agony as the life he had just gained was ripped from him. Following the trail of death, the souls of all he had slain and caused to be slain seized him, dragging him by his very soul through the gates of Tartarus, and his vaunted body began to fall to pieces as he was dragged to his fate, with no way to escape this time.

From outside, everyone was shocked at the soul shattering scream ripped through the air. The Metal Reaper began to fall apart, the pieces dissolving into the ether and sucked back into the Underworld. The scream and the overwhelming force of power went on and on...and then, in a blazing flash of light, the portal closed, and the world returned to normal.

As everyone cheered, the young heroes settled to the ground. The Chaos Emeralds seperated from them, their power expended for the moment, and they staggered as they felt their power deplete and they returned to their normal forms. Gratefully, they fell into their parents welcoming embrace as the cheers went on and on.

As Twilight embraced her son, however, she glanced around. "Where's Maria?" she asked, afraid. "Where is she?"

Stardust's eyes went wide in fear. "She...she was inside it..."

"Fear not, Twilight Sparkle," Luna's voice spoke from the air. "Your daughter has come to no harm. She is still among the living.

Luna glided down to the ground gently, Maria curled up on her back in a restless doze. Luna's horn glowed as magic spread from her to Maria, sparing her sleep from troubling dreams of what she had done.