• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 2,862 Views, 105 Comments

Scootalonely - Rainbow Dashey



Scootaloo finally has the sister she always wanted, but can they get along for the long run?

  • ...
4
 105
 2,862

Hello?

Hooves pattered as Scootaloo raced down the streets. She took a left at Sugarcube Corner; Pinkie Pie stood out front screaming something that didn't sound like words--the way that pony acted was still shrouded in mystery...and fun. Continuing on her way, she arrived at the town square. Voices chattered as the market stalls bustled with life. Scootaloo planted herself by a fountain and waited for her sister to arrive.

She stood patiently as a few minutes passed, but she didn't see her sister in the square. Well, I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason she isn't here yet, probably just working as usual, Scootaloo thought to herself as she slowly sank to her haunches.

The day went on and the sun slowly took its final breath of the day as it stretched out its last rays of warmth--the night took hold of the sky.

Applejack trotted down the street from her apple stall at the market. She had just wrapped up the last customer and was on her way home. As she continued on her way, she heard something, faintly audible, and unknown. She stopped for a moment and listened. "Hello?" Applejack called out, but there was no reply. She continued on her way until she heard it again.

*sniff*

There it was! Being louder than before, she could tell it was from somepony, and it sounded as if they were...crying. She trotted towards the sound.

Applejack approached an empty stall and it seemed the sound had vanished. She peered over the counter and there to her surprise was a small-crying-filly; the one she knew oh, so well.

"Scootaloo, is that you?" Applejack whispered as to not startle her.

Scootaloo's ears perked up and she quickly began to wipe her tears with her hoof. "Hmm?" she mumbled, "I was just ah, um...trying a maneuver," she stumbled through the lie.

"Scootaloo, you ain't a very good liar. Now you can tell me what's the matter?" Applejack asked with sincerity.

Scootaloo paused for a moment and collected herself. "Well..." she started, "I was supposed to meet Dash here, but..." She couldn't hold the tears back and she let them roll down her cheeks once more. "Sh-she never c-came by to pick m-me up. And at f-f-f-first I thought she w-was just late, but it's been h-hours since then."

"Oh Scoots!" Applejack sympathized. "I'm sure that Dash has a perfectly reasonable explanation for all this. Come here and we'll see what we can do."

Scootaloo slowly trudged from her hiding spot and followed the orange mare to the farm. By the time they arrived, Scootaloo had composed herself and was able to hold off her emotions. She didn't want to look weak in front of her friends, she had to be brave--it's what Dash would want.

"Apple Bloom!" Applejack shouted into the house. The young filly bounded down the stairs moments later.

"Yes?" she asked.

"You take Scootaloo up to your room for a lil' while. I'm gonna go find Fluttershy and be right back," she instructed as she quickly turned out the door.

* * * * *

Fluttershy bent over and gave a mouse a hoof full of crumbs.

Squeak

"Oh, you are quite welcome!" Fluttershy replied with a smile. She turned to put a bag of feed against the wall, just as she heard a knock at the door.

"Fluttershy, you need to come here."

"Applejack?"

"Eeyup, come 'ere, I have a task."

Fluttershy trotted softly over to the door and swung it open to be greeted by her friend. "Um... at this time of night?"

"I need you to fly up to to Dash's house and see if she's home," Applejack pleaded. "It's important!"

"Well... I guess if it's important..."

"Meet me back at the barn, I need to go watch the youngsters."

Fluttershy nodded as Applejack ran back down the path towards the farmhouse. When Applejack arrived back at the house, the sound of the two young fillies chatting in the upper-rooms greeted her. She stayed down in the foyer, for she didn't want to disrupt it. Applejack knew that Scootaloo was worried for her sister, hay, Applejack was worried too. But she couldn't go and make a scene, that would just escalate the problem.

A short while passed and a light rapping was heard on the door. Applejack rushed over to the door and threw it open, startling the skittish pony on the other side. "Oh, sorry!"

Fluttershy didn't respond, she was trying to catch her breath from the fright.

"So, did you find her?" Applejack drilled.

"Uh... no... Dash wasn't home."

"Well, come inside, I'll explain the whole thing."

Fluttershy entered the threshold and walked into the living room. The room was dimly lit and decorated with a few wooden benches and stools. The two each took a seat and Applejack began to explain the predicament on how Dash hadn't come back from work.

After the long story, Fluttershy exclaimed "Oh my... that isn't good at all."

"Nope, not in the least bit," Applejack shook her head.

Scootaloo could hear the whole conversation. She pretended to not hear it in front of her friend, but she could hear the muffled words clear as day.

Thoughts began to swirl in and out of her mind. Why had she left me? Was it my fault? Dash did seem pretty upset earlier. It seemed that she was a little pestered by my enthusiasm...Oh no, I made my sister leave!

Scootaloo burst into tears once more.

"What's wrong Scoots?!" Apple Bloom inquired. Scootaloo quickly regained herself and dried off her face.

"Oh, it's nothing, I'm fine," she replied promptly.

Back downstairs the two ponies were finished talking about the predicament. They quickly stood up and shuffled towards the door. "So you promise you'll keep an eye out for her?"

"That's what friends are for," Fluttershy said with a wink. As the pony left, Applejack shut the door and turned to go talk to the two fillies upstairs.

"Where could she be?"

* * * * *

Her eyes snapped open and she let out a groan. Rainbow Dash had no recollection of where she was or what she was doing. All she knew is that she had been out for a while.

Dash began to take in her surroundings. She first noted that there was a slight glow in the distance, The sun no doubt, and she saw that there were leaves obscuring any other details that might tell her of her location.

I need to get up, she thought to herself. She tried to push herself upright, but she found she couldn't move her left foreleg far enough; it wasn't looking good. She rubbed the back of her mane and cringed at the sharp flash of heat that traveled through her skull. She quickly pulled her hoof away to see blood streaking down her coat. The sight startled her, but she remained calm. She knew she wasn't going anywhere, and it wasn't worth wasting her energy on worrying.

"Hope they aren't worried..." Dash said softly.