• Published 6th Dec 2012
  • 1,757 Views, 99 Comments

Burnt Offerings - Spike the Scribe



Ponies, Pathfinder, ancient magic overlords and a dose of insanity. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
9
 99
 1,757

Act One Chapter Five

Unknown forest, Date unknown, (Presumably 24 September, 1000 SR), Hours after midnight


We were extremely lucky to have Fluttershy stumble on us when she did. The shy pegasus, usually so overlooked, proved to be a boon to the three of us, in more ways than one might I add. For starters, and I can’t stress that enough, she was able not only to drive off the boar that was ravaging RD’s side, but to reduce the wild hog into a terrified piglet in less than half a minute. I mean what could possibly be more awesome than that? There was however something more important than her just being able to talk off wildlife from attacking one of us.

She was the only one with any sort of medical experience in our small group.

Now I know for a fact that ponies have different anatomy than most animals, and considering Fluttershy was working for the most part with animals only, many would have their doubts about letting her dress their wounds. However, she possessed a natural talent of sorts when it came to medicine, and her extensive experience with injured creatures could come extremely handy in many cases. She was good enough to even improvise with creatures she didn’t exactly know that well, if at all, and have good results. And considering that Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and I were changed into beings that we never even seen before was enough for Fluttershy to improvise in that manner with Rainbow's injuries.

As I already pointed out, the boar we encountered looked and behaved differently from their counterparts back home, and that also included sharper tusks. As the hog attacked Dash and managed to get to her side, the sharpened point of its overgrown teeth made quick work of her skin, leaving a nasty wound in its wake. From what I could tell (and that’s not much considering I don’t exactly know too much about puncture or slashing wound, not to mention I feel lightheaded just by looking at blood), the gash was deep, and I’m actually surprised that Rainbow wasn’t wailing in agony the whole time. Then again, once the excitement of battle subsided, she did in fact began writhing in pain as the fact she was hurt got to her. And that’s where Fluttershy got to work.

I didn’t see the whole thing, as in that particular moment Pinkie decided to help me down from the tree I was hanging right now (thankfully she didn’t brake of the branch I was dangling from like she did with RD). However what I wasn’t able to see I made up with what I heard. Apparently seizing the opportunity, Fluttershy began chewing Rainbow Dash out for the way she was handling the situation with the boar, mentioning that the fight with the creature could be avoided if she went up a tree like us and that provoking it to attack was a really stupid idea and so on and so forth. All I can say is that she sounded like a rather angry mother scolding her filly. That doesn’t mean however that she didn’t do her fair share of work with dressing the wound of her fellow pegasus.

I could barely see in the dark now, yet Fluttershy, as well as Pinkie Pie, were apparently able to see quite well in these conditions. Then again, Fluttershy was a pegasus originally, and pegasi have supreme eyesight when it comes to conditions of dim light. This trait apparently was also true to her new form, and so once I noticed the shy mare picking up a strange plant that I completely overlooked from apparently nowhere I wasn’t that much surprised.

Now, I’m no expert on natural remedies and the like, so I had to believe that whatever Fluttershy was doing she knew was safe, but seeing her plucking the leafs of the plant and then shoving them inside her mouth, chewing them and grimacing at what I guess must have been the bitter taste of it, only to spit them out in the form of a green and moist paste and apply that goo to Dash’s wound –it didn’t exactly look that sanitary. Then again what do I know, maybe that was a natural antiseptic or something. I was about to comment on that when Fluttershy did something that most mares wouldn’t even consider doing in all their lives.

She grabbed one of the long sleeves of the dress she was wearing and ripped it off.

I was initially confused as to why she did something like that. Spending some time around Rarity (unfortunately not as much as I would like) I learned that most mares value their dresses more than their weight in gold. To see Fluttershy tear off a good piece of it on her own accord would surely render Rarity speechless to ‘such profanity against the fine art of tailoring’, that or make her forget about her ladylike behavior and fly into a berserker rage. However not long after the shy mare did what she did I learned what was her reasoning behind that.

The torn off sleeve served Fluttershy as a impromptu bandage. She used it to dress Rainbow’s wound, the long slice of material able to wrap around her waist and leaving strands long enough to easily tie into a firm knot. Once done with that, Fluttershy finally gave the cyan mare the green light, but not without looking at her sternly, giving her a rather clear message: ‘next time you provoke an animal into attacking you, you’re on your own’.

Now, with Rainbow’s wound dressed as well as Pinkie and me safely on the ground we were able to continue our search for the rest of our friends. That is we would be if I didn’t decide to insist on taking something to defend ourselves with. I mean we ran into a boar with a really foul mood rather easily, what was there to say that we wouldn’t bump into something bigger, angrier and not as easily susceptible to Fluttershy’s Stare. The rest agreed with me, although we needed to coax Fluttershy to do the same once she reverted back into her old, shy self, and with but a few minutes of work we managed to rig up four of the broken off branches into makeshift weapons. Well, clubs really, but that kind of makes us sound like savages or something.

Equipped with our new improvised weapons we began once again traversing the thick forest. The night was still in its full swing, blanketing the world in darkness and shadows, but as I said, Pinkie Pie and apparently Fluttershy were able to see in those conditions rather well. Problem is, the darkness was enough to make the latter of the two mares scared senseless, shaking like if she was made of jelly and lag behind us. It came as no surprise then that we didn’t exactly sped up our search that much, and considering Dash’s injury and the fact it forced her to walk more gingerly as to not aggravate her wounds more made the trek even slower. However, the prime concern was with the butter-yellow mare that was nearing a heart attack, RD could handle herself on her own, and her pride even now prevented her from asking or accepting any help.

Normally in a situations like this I wouldn’t be that keen on letting Pinkie Pie take the lead, fearing her randomness would lead us into even more trouble, but the situation was far from normal. Pinkie being able to see in the darkness better than me was the prime example of my reasoning. And I felt I could trust RD to keep an eye on her while I tried to somehow calm Fluttershy down. Yes, I know, I’m not exactly what one would call psychotherapist material, nor am I a natural smooth-talker, but I did know that if I would able to at least distract Fluttershy from her surroundings she wouldn’t be so terrified. So with a firm resolve to help the shy mare I walked to her.

Breaking trough to her wasn’t exactly a walk in a park. Fluttershy, as terrified of the dark as she was, had a really hard time to take her mind off of it. I had to repeat my attempts several times before she gathered the courage to answer me, and even then it was but a muffled whisper I was barely able to make out amongst the rustling sounds our group was making. Straining my newly acquired ears I was only then able to understand what she was saying. Fortunately over time she was getting more and more into her story, and I do believe that my prompting her to continue and constant claims that I was really interested in what she had to say had much to do with it.

I initially asked her what she remembered before she ended up in this strange forest. The answer I received was exactly what I expected to hear –the attack of the Ursa on Ponyville, Twilight using some really powerful spells to deal with it and finally a bright flash of light before blacking out. Having that confirmed I began inquiring about where she landed and was it anywhere near the place she found us. Apparently it wasn’t exactly so. While she did land in the same forest as us, which was obvious, Fluttershy also stated that once she woken up in a foreign place her initial reaction was to flee as fast as she could. That led to her discovering her new body, and that in turn served only to fuel her panic even more. Only after running for what appeared to be hours (probably minutes) had she collapsed and tried to hide somewhere, all the while trying to figure out what actually happened. And that’s when she heard Pinkie's yelling.

Apparently it was the pink party pony’s voice, her shrill hollering that she used to first communicate with Dash and then me was what coaxed the shy mare to leave her safe heaven (actually only a fallen pine tree that she used for cover) and seek us out. And here I thought that Pinkie’s antics were but a nuisance. Back to the matter at claw however, once Fluttershy left her safe place she found us relatively easily, all she had to do was follow the noise we were making. Once she found us however she didn’t approach us right away. We are after all looking differently than usual, and considering her rather withdrawn nature she was probably scared of us and needed time to build up her confidence and come and meet us. And that’s when the hog decided to stir things up a bit.

It was relatively easy to guess that Fluttershy witnessed the whole ordeal with the wild boar. It also explained why she was so cross with Rainbow Dash the moment she let the hog on its way. As she seen the whole incident, she perfectly knew that the whole thing could be avoided and that it was as much the pig’s as RD’s fault that this fight even took place. In short, she wasn’t very happy about her friend’s behavior, and it could be seen by the way she acted towards her while tending to her wounds.

By the time Fluttershy ended her side of the story she was behaving much more confident than moments before. She gotten so much into her own tale that she more or less forgotten about the darkness that was surrounding us, as well as the fact that we were generally lost. It was good to hear her more confident however, and it proved to be a rather large boost to our group’s morale. All in all, Fluttershy’s confidence, as small amount as it was, was enough to lift the spirits of even the most fatalistic of ponies.

While we were walking silently through the forest I was beginning to piece together some facts. First off: our current appearance. I already figured out that whatever we were changed into was most probably the local equivalent of ponies. Pinkie, Rainbow, and I were all different from one another in one way or another, the key difference being our heights, but we looked mostly the same. True, I wasn’t a pony to begin with, but that only served to support my theory –I was different from both mares I mentioned. I was slowly beginning to piece together what the equivalents to earth ponies and pegasi must have looked like by studying both mares’ appearances, but then Fluttershy had to come along.

She looked different from Rainbow Dash, that much was certain. At first I assumed that the local analogue to pegasus ponies had as follows: small, round ears; about ten to twelve hoofs height; relatively round heads and rather small eyes, at least in comparison with Pinkie’s enormous blue orbs. Fluttershy however had longer ears ending with sharp tips; she was at least a hoof taller than Rainbow Dash (a fact that both mares were surprised at, considering they were about the same height back home); she had a bit sharper features when it came to her face and had larger, more expressive eyes and as I gathered from observing her move she was both more graceful and her frame was more slender than the rainbow maned mare’s. Again, the differences weren’t something groundbreaking, but it was as clear as day that Fluttershy and RD weren’t exactly the same species anymore. And that could mean only one thing –my theory about us turning into analogue creatures depending on our base species wasn’t worth one bit. Maybe whatever changed us worked at random?

The second thing I figured out was that whatever transported us here decided it would be a good idea to split us up and place us at random spots in this forest. It was both reassuring and scary at the same time to be honest. The thought that we were in the same forest was the reassuring bit. And the scary part? Nopony knew exactly how large the forest was. For all I knew, it could be as large as the jungles of Zebrafica.

I was so caught up with those thoughts that I almost overlooked our group stopping. Only thanks to me walking into Pinkie Pie, who apparently saw something between the trees and stopped to take a better look did I notice that something was going on. Picking myself from the ground and apologizing profusely to Pinkie for knocking her down I ask why did we stopped. To my surprise it was Fluttershy who answered my question.

“Um… Spike? I-I believe that this is… um… the thing that you’re asking about.” While she was saying that she pointed with one of her ‘claws’ in the direction I noticed Pinkie staring before. Taking the hint I looked that way, squinting my eyes in search of whatever we were looking at.

At first I didn’t see anything. All that I could make out in the darkness were the shadowy shapes of trees and the minuscule movement of the odd bushes and shrubs. After a moment however I was able to notice something peculiar: a soft, orange-yellow sheen, like the glow of a fire. But what could it be? It was too small for a forest fire, of that I was certain. So was it a bonfire? Was there somepony out there camping?

I looked at the girls, asking them silently what should we do. I wasn’t one for making decisions after all, it was usually Twilight that called the shots and I was just doing what she asked me to. Finally, after a moment of silent musing Rainbow decided to speak up:

“Well, what’re we waiting for? We should check it out.” She said confidently, taking a step in the direction of the light. Moments later however she cringed and clutched at her side, hissing in pain.

“Easy there Dashie, don’t get to hasty.” Said Pinkie, appearing at the side of her friend and acting as a makeshift crutch for her. Dash in turn began muttering something, I could only make out ‘stupid pig’ and ‘all its fault’.

“For the record, I don’t think going there is a good idea.” Added Fluttershy, her voice once again barely above a whisper. “What if it’s something… scary?”

“No offense Fluttershy, but you find your own shadow scary.” Rainbow retorted, completely forgetting that not half an hour earlier the shy pegasus valiantly stood her ground against a raging boar and talked it down. “Besides, that could be Twi or AJ for all we know. Now come on, the sooner we get there the sooner we’ll be able to get out of this forest.”

“Okay, if you say so…” Muttered Fluttershy, once again giving up without a fight. I was beginning to wonder if there was some kind of switch to turn off meek Fluttershy and turn on awesome, fear-inducing Fluttershy, that’s how differently she could act at times.

“Hey, I've got an idea!” Pinkie proclaimed suddenly, bouncing in one spot and sticking out her ‘claw’ in the air, like if she was in school and trying to get the teacher’s attention.

“Yes Pinkie?” Dash asked, looking at the party pony warily.

“Why don’t I go there first, all sneaky and stealthy, and see if whatever is out there is friendly or not. It would be so much fun, acting all super agent Pinkie Pie and all…”

“You know what Pinkie? That’s actually not a bad idea.” I had to make a double take on that one. Did Rainbow Dash just agree to send Pinkie Pie, the most energetic pony on the face of the planet to do a stealth-based mission? That couldn’t end well. Unfortunately for me, I couldn’t voice my concerns before the pink hurricane of energy proclaimed her victory.

Alright!” Yep, definitely a bad idea. And once I shot a look at RD I noticed, that she too was having second thoughts. Unfortunately, Pinkie was already on her way, jumping from tree trunk to tree trunk for cover in a highly exaggerated fashion, all the while humming some sort of tune.

I looked at Rainbow again with my eyebrow raised.

“You know that this isn’t going to end well, do you?”

“Yeah, I… kinda noticed that right about now.” RD answered, after which she facehoofed (faceclawed?) and muttered: “Why did I agree to this again?”

Sadly, there was nothing we could do; Pinkie was too far away now and to find her and bring her back somepony would need to go there and do that personally. Having that possibility crossed out for us, all we could do was wait and hope for the best.

Minutes dragged on mercilessly while we waited in total silence. Try as we might, we couldn’t see nor hear Pinkie Pie, which was both a great relief and a frightening fact to us. We couldn’t tell if she was found out by whoever was there or if she was still undetected, but we knew one thing –we apparently underestimated the pink party animal. Who would've thought that she could actually be quiet this long.

“Ugh… what’s taking her so long?!” Rainbow groaned impatiently, beginning to pace. “What, is she preparing a surprise party for them or something?!”

“Knowing Pinkie Pie, that could be an option.” I answered and was rewarded with an annoyed look from the rainbow maned mare. “What? You asked.”

“This is ridiculous!” She finally proclaimed, looking pointedly in the direction the party pony went. “I’m going in… ugh…!” She wasn’t even able to take a simple step before her injured side reminded her about her condition. Dash stumbled a bit, but was able to maintain her balance.

“Not in that condition you aren’t.” It was again firm Fluttershy, giving Rainbow a pointed look which made her actually take a step back. “I already told you, you’re in no condition to be running around. You might hurt yourself if you keep overexerting yourself like that.”

“Yes, I know that, I remember what you told me mom.” Was the snarky reply of the future Wonderbolt. I kinda felt that she was getting more and more frustrated by something, probably it had something to do with Pinkie’s long silence, but to work it off on innocent Fluttershy? That was uncalled for. I was about to step in and try to calm Rainbow down before she said something that would really hurt Fluttershy’s feelings when we all heard something.

*overdramatic-gasp* Rarity!?! Is that yo… Ouch, What’s the big id…” We heard screaming that could belong only to one pink pony, interrupted by a loud slamming sound and an equally loud thud. The three of us exchanged worried glances, figuring out that whatever happened wasn’t good, and we silently agreed that we needed to help our friend, even if it meant going straight into an ambush. There was however one thing that kinda stood out to me.

Pinkie yelled something about Rarity.

There was no time to analyze that bit of information. We needed to get there ASAP and pondering about something as trivial as that would bring as nowhere. So we ran, or at least hobbled hastily in the direction from which Pinkie’s voice came in Dash’s case, and hoped to get there before something terrible happened. Even Fluttershy seemed to be more concerned about Pinkie than possibly getting involved in something she normally avoided.

We were nearing the orange-yellow glow of the fire as quickly as we could, all the while keeping our eyes peeled for any signs of danger. The way there wasn’t the easiest; it was dotted with thick shrubs and dense foliage hindering our every move, and to make matters worse we weren’t able to keep quiet, making enough noise to easily alarm whoever was out there to our presence. That didn’t matter however, we needed to get to Pinkie and save her from whatever attacked her.

After a long and tiring sprint trough the thickets we finally managed to reach the orange glow, our makeshift weapons in our grasps, ready for the inevitable fight. After breaching the last of the bushes on our way we emerged on a small clearing, surrounded by the thick woods from every side, on the center of which burned a small campfire. Not far away from the fire two halves of a split log were lying, forming a sitting area of sorts in front of the campfire, as well as a conveniently placed tree stump not too far away. That wasn’t however important right now, the more pressing matter was what happened to Pinkie Pie and where were the ones that attacked her.

It didn’t take us long to locate the assailants. One of them was standing not twenty hoofs from us, an improvised club in the form of a broken off tree branch in its grip, leaning over the lying form with a storm of pink hair on its head. That one definitely was the reason why Pinkie lay unconscious on the ground. A few hoofs from her stood the second aggressor, this one lacking any weapon and looking more confused than anything. There was however something surprisingly familiar about those two…

I wasn’t allowed to think about that too long before the situation got more complicated, as usual. Rainbow Dash, as impulsive as ever, even with an injured side decided that the best course of action was to tackle the enemy first, ask questions later. It came as no surprise to me that she all but launched herself at the one with the club in hand, forgetting about her own weapon in the process and attempted to pin her to the ground. Key word being attempted; her side once again got the better of her and after taking a few quick steps she doubled over in pain, stumbling on her feet and barely managing not to step on the downed Pinkie. However she was able to force the one standing above the party pony to take a few steps back by slamming into her head first.

The one half-tackled by Rainbow looked to be confused; she didn’t even try to break free from her improvised grapple, nor was she making any use of the branch she was still holding. She looked down on the once pegasus that was just now trying to knock her over while at the same time trying to ignore the pain in her side, a startled expression on her face, and it was clear that she didn’t know what to do. I for myself was about to go and try to help RD bring her to the ground, but then I took a better look at the creature Dash was trying to knock over.

The first thing I noticed was that it looked to belong to the same species as Dash did. Same round ears, similar built… But then I began noticing more of the fine features that discerned her from RD. She had a long, blond mane tied at the end with a simple red ribbon, forming a ‘ponytail’. She also had a face dotted with freckles and a pair of green eyes, now wide in confusion and surprise. But the thing that was most prominent was one of the articles of her clothing: a simple, brown Stetson hat resting on top of her head.

“Applejack?”

My quiet mutter went unnoticed by Rainbow Dash, who still was unaware of who exactly was she trying to bring down and was still valiantly trying to trip. AJ however, or at least I think it was her finally snapped out of her daze and began to actively resist RD’s attempts. She tossed the branch she was holding to the ground and using both her ‘claws’ she grabbed the cyan mare by the shoulders and tried to get her to let go. It wasn’t that hard for the farmpony to do just that, not with Rainbow in the condition she was in, and after a few moments she broke free of her hold. Dash however wasn’t going to let that stop her. She quickly renew her efforts to bring AJ down, yet she didn’t get far with that. Expecting something like this to happen she still held on to RD’s shoulders and prevented her from getting anywhere near her. Rainbow of course didn’t just give up and she started trashing, trying to kick at Applejack’s legs end even to bit on to her arms.

“Gosh darn it RD, quit trashin’ an’ look at me girl!” AJ, finally having enough of Rainbow’s antics shook her by her shoulders, trying to force her to look at her. Her voice however was enough to calm Dash down. She stopped struggling, a surprised expression appearing on her face, and she looked with wide eyes at who she was fighting with just moments ago, her face slowly shifting into a confused frown.

“Applejack, that you? What the hay’s going on!?”

“Ah could ask ya the same question. What in tarnation were ya thinking, attackin’ me like that?! Don’t ya have eyes, didn’t ya see who ya were tryin’ ta wrestle?!”

“Hey, it’s not my fault that you look different! And you were standing over Pinkie with a branch, like you were gonna brain her to death or something, what was I to think… wait a moment.” Dash’s eyes suddenly lit up in realization. “It was you who smacked Pinkie on the head, wasn’t it? Why the hay did you do that for?!”

“Eh…” AJ looked sheepish at that, shooting a glance at the unconscious form of Pinkie lying on the ground, now tended to by Fluttershy. “Well she up an’ startled me, Ah reacted on reflex an’ all! It’s not like Ah knew it was her! ‘Sides, Ah an’ miss Prissy Princes over yonder had a bit of a tussle with the local wildlife.” She added the last bit pointing her thumb at her companion that I quickly identified as Rarity.

I have to admit, I zoned out a bit, staring at Rarity and taking in her new looks. She appeared to be changed into whatever Fluttershy was transformed, her stature, pointy ears and slender frame were testament enough. Yet she still was most definitely recognizable, even in this form. Her elegant, purple mane flowed from her head as usual, giving her an almost angelic look and beautifully accenting her deep, blue eyes, her eyelashes only adding to her beauty. Even now, changed into a foreign creature she still possessed an inalienable air of beauty over her, tough the lack of a unicorn horn was rather hard to get used to.

After a few minutes of ogling Rarity I noticed the gown she was wearing, and it appeared that it reflected her skills as a fashionista well if you ask me. It wasn’t maybe as extravagant as her usual creations, but it was no less elegant, at least in my opinion. Like with Fluttershy’s dress, it was a one-piece creation with long sleeves. It was as white as Rarity’s coat and was decorated here and there with what appeared to be strands of silvery thread forming intricate designs. However, it had one major flaw.

The dress was stained in multiple places with what appeared to be grass, dirt, pine needles and a sickly yellow goo I couldn’t identify. I was genuinely surprised that Rarity was still wearing something as horribly soiled as that gown –she usually didn’t want to have anything to do with anything even partially as dirty as this, yet she still wore this one. More even, I noticed a few patches of material that must have been cleaned by her own ‘claw’, sporting less dirt than the other parts of the dress. Either Rarity really liked the way this gown looked, or there was something more at play here.

Once I finally forced my gaze away from the fashion-loving unicorn I noticed that I missed out on a rather hefty dose of conversation. Apparently RD and AJ finally cooled down enough to quit picking fights with one another and focus on Pinkie Pie. The mare in question was still unconscious, a large bump on her forehead, and was still tended to by Fluttershy. I think Pinkie would be alright, especially considering that she began muttering something in a dazed manner. I think I was able to make out the words ‘…you’re a toymaker’s creation trapped inside a crystal ball…’ or something along those lines. I also was able to pick up on the way Rarity was looking at Applejack –it was an annoyed, borderline disdainful look. I’m guessing that spending so much time with a mare that was so starkly different from her left Rarity with a clawful of reasons as to why Applejack was ‘unladylike’ and why to avoid spending too much time with her. Eh… this was going to get interesting pretty quickly, and in a definitely unpleasant way.

“Um… I think we should… um… give Pinkie some time to recover. I can’t do anything more to help her. Sorry.” Muttered Fluttershy in her normal, caring yet subdued voice, looking at Rainbow and AJ apologetically.

“That’s alright sugarcube, Ah’m the one responsible for her condition anyways. Ya don’ have ta apologize for anythin’, ya did yer best.” Applejack responded reassuringly, giving the shy mare a friendly pat on the shoulder.

“You do realize that if you just let me handle the situation we could have avoided all this?” For the first time I heard Rarity’s voice, as beautiful as ever, yet laced with some bitterness and superiority towards the farmpony. Applejack rolled her eyes not that subtly at that.

“An’ here we go again.” She muttered, after which she faced Rarity with a glare. “For yer information, Ah kinda was in a tight spot back then an’ Ah couldn’ jus’ take mah sweet time an’ check if whoever was commin’ was friendly or not. Ah needed ta make a decision on the fly.”

“Yes, and we all see how well that ended up now, don’t we.” Rarity added, looking at Pinkie, who’s leg began shaking in her sleep-like state, pity evident in her eyes. “Poor darling got her head almost bashed in by your barbaric behavior.”

“Ah already said, it was an accident! How could Ah know that this ‘ere was Pinkie?!”

“Oh I don’t know, maybe if you were paying more attention to details you would have noticed that Pinkie, before you so brutally assaulted her, mentioned my name?” Okay, this was getting ridiculous. If somepony wasn’t going to step in, this would become a match of verbal ping-pong, only degrading over time into petty insults if AJ’s angered expression was anything to go by.

I looked expectantly at Rainbow Dash. The cyan mare however wasn’t about to go and try to break them up it seemed, opting for silently watching the verbal fight unfold. Okay, so she wasn’t the best of choices. Fluttershy I could count out altogether, she was to meek to try and interrupt the two arguing mares. Sigh… why couldn’t we have run in into Twilight again? She was way better at this than me…

I stepped between the two girls who were now glaring daggers at one another, rising my ‘claws’ in a soothing manner. “Okay, settle down. We’re all confused by what’s happening here and we make mistakes because of this, no need to argue between ourselves because of it.”

“Listen ‘ere lil’ Princess, Ah was tryin’ ta keep yer keister safe, ‘cause ya sure ain’t the type that knows how ta handle yerself in the wild! But what do Ah get in return? Nothin’ but whinin’, that’s what!” I’m beginning to suspect that they weren’t listening to me.

“Oh, I am most definitely not whining! I am merely pointing out thing’s that you with your lack of appreciation for details overlook. If you took your time to think things through, Pinkie wouldn’t be lying unconscious with a great lump on her forehead!” Yep, they most definitely haven’t listened to me.

“Well ‘scuse me for not takin’ mah sweet time an’ lettin’ a potentially dangerous thing rip yer face off!”

“It was Pinkie Pie, the worst she would do to me would be hug me a bit too tightly.”

“But what if it wasn’t Pinkie Pie, ya ever taught of that?”

“But it was Pinkie Pie!”

“Ah’m talkin’ hypothetical like!”

“Would you two just shut up!?” I finally snapped, having enough of this ridiculous argument. That at least got their attention, because both Applejack and Rarity looked at me with surprise clear on their faces. “This is pointless! This argument has no sense! So yeah, Applejack knocked out Pinkie Pie, thinking it was something that wanted to attack the two of you. It was an accident. Accidents do happen, and no amount of arguing is going to make it right! And to be quite frank, I think we have bigger issues than discussing Applejacks fault or the lack thereof. So just take a deep breath, count down from ten, take a seat and calm the buck down!

I’m beginning to think I overdid it, but I was getting more and more frustrated by the minute. At least my little outburst seemed to work. Applejack and Rarity did shut up, the latter of the two however not before letting out a undignified huff at my choice of words. I might have just lowered my chances with her now that I think about it. Good going brain, you really outdid yourself this time.