• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 1,140 Views, 27 Comments

Fire, Ice, And A Rainbow - Pyrefly_91



The conclusion to Pyrefly and Ice Dancer's intro to Ponyville.

  • ...
18
 27
 1,140

Chapter 2- Short on Time

Fire, Ice and A Rainbow

Short on Time

"Ohhhh, Dashie's a snow pony!" Pinkie squeaked. "Do me next! Do me next!"

"Pinkie! Shrieked Twilight. "This is not a joke! If she stays frozen like this, then, then..." she couldn't finish the sentence.

'Dash! What am I gonna do? What can I do?' I thought, frantically trying to think of something. Suddenly, it hit me. 'But will it work?'

"I won't let that happen," I said. "Twilight, i need you and Rarity to levitate Rainbow to the most open place that's nearby."

"What are you gonna do?" Asked Futtershy, trying to stay calm, which was clearly hard for her, concidering her best friend just got turned into a Dash-cicle.

"I'm gonna melt the ice." I answered.

"And how, pray tell, will you do that?" Questioned Rarity, as her and Twi lifted their frozen friend into the air.

"Before Dash fell, we where neck and neck. She did her Sonic Rainboom to get an early lead. But after we got through the turn at Sweet Apple Acres, I pulled out my ace in the hole and caught up to her in seconds. I call it "The Cosmic Comet" and it's how I won all the races i was in before I came here. But what I do is the same that RD does to do the Rainboom, I just break the sound barrier. Except when I do it, I'm surrounded by flames instead of light."

"And you think that you'll be able to generate that much speed in a tight enough circle?" Twilight asked, a hint of doubt flowed with the question.

"I've got to." I said trying to sound confident, but I was scared to death of what would happen if I couldn't do it.

"Alright, Pyrefly, we trust ya." Said Applejack.

'I'm glad somepony thinks I can do it.' I though as we walked into the center of town, which was thankfully big enough and close by.

The two unicorns carefully placed Rainbow down in the middle of the clearing. I began my pre-flight stretches.

'I really hope this works,' I thought to myself. 'I've only done this a few times, but I can't fail, I refuse to fail. I wont lose someone else in my life! Why Ice? Why did you do this? What is your problem?'

"Alright," I called out, feeling as ready as I'll ever be. "Everyone find cover, just in case something should go wrong."

"You can do it Pyrefly, we believe in you," said Twilight.

I looked at the five mares, tears beginning to cloud my sight.

'I wont let you guys down.' And filled with the confidence my new friends had given me, I readied for take-off. 'No more wasting time, Dash needs me, and I will not lose her.' With that, I rocketed into the air.

Quickly I picked up speed, tightly circling around Rainbow's frozen body. Faster and fast I flew. I could feel the air around me dramatically increase in temperature. Then suddenly, I was shrouded in flames, creating a tornado of fire as I circled.

'It's working!' I thought to myself, almost in disbelief.

"Ok guys, get ready because I'm gonna break off and then you'll need to hurry and get her dried off and warmed up quickly before anything else can go wrong." I shouted out.

When the last of the ice finally melted away, Dash collapsed into the puddle around her. I made a few more laps to give her a little more heat. After I circled a few more times, I saw her e begin to stir and shutter. I broke off and immediately, the group of mares ruched in with towels that Twilight conjured up up while I was defrosting RD.

'She's still alive,' I thought as I landed a little ways off from where the friends all were. Suddenly the air around me chilled and out from behind a near by house crept my sister, a look of absolute disdain on her face.

"You just met her, so why do you care so much?" she asked coldly.

"I don't know why," I admitted. " It just happened. One second we're just talking, next we're acting like we've been friends forever, and it all ended with us kissing each other before parting ways for the night."

"But why were you being so friendly to her? She was insulting you, saying that you're not as good as you really are! What made that change?"

"I never said I was mad at her for challenging me. Your feelings aren't my own. And all this happened while we were going over the race course. I asked her how much she knew about me. So she said she knew why we left home."

"And what did she say?"

"She hit the nail on the head. We were so busy trying to deal with mom and dad's death that we failed to notice the press found out i quit racing because of it. The story was head line news. Why do you think I wanted us to move away from home?"

"Because the Wonderbolts asked you to. Its not every day one of the best flyers in the country turns down an offer to join their team. Spitfire wanted to put us up in a fancy hotel till you earned enough to buy a place in Canterlot! But what did you do? You wanted to escape the spotlight. So she recommended coming here. And while here, watch their prized candidate for them and they'd pay you. Not to mention they still bought our house for us."

"That's not the point. She felt bad about bringing it up. I had to cheer her up. So, yeah I told that Spitfire wanted me to join the team. I told her about them wanting us to go to Canterlot. I told her everything but the part about being paid to scout her for them. I just told her they wanted my opinion on her abilities based of the footage they showed me that day they showed up after the funeral. It brightened her up, made her smile."

"OK, but that doesn't explain what made you two become an item! Why don't you just get to the point for a change!"

"I'm getting there. After I made her feel better, I offered to escort her back home. When we got there, we were just gonna part ways, but she felt she needed to apologize again for bringing up mom and dad's death. After I told her i that it saw no big deal and to forget about it. Then she just started opening up to me about how she feels weirdly comfortable around me. That's when I kissed her. I tried to apologize, but then she kissed me back. After we parted, she told me how she's been looking for a special somepony. So I told her that I had actually fallen for her at the party and- "

"Right there! That's it!" Ice Dancer shouted. "You already wanted to be with her before you even talk to me. You made up your mind and then made what you wanted happen. You didn't even think about me! You just wanted to make yourself happy, just like always! That's why I hate you right now. And if that's the way it's gonna be, if you really love her so much, then i wont be around to get in the way, and you'll never see me again!"

And with that, she turned around and took off. I stood there, unable to move. I felt like she had just froze me solid, just like she did to Dash.

"Dash!" I said aloud, bringing myself back to life. I quickly spun around and sprinted back to Town Square.

'I'll deal with Ice later,' I thought as I ran. 'But first I need to make sure RD is alright.'