• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 1,363 Views, 30 Comments

Stories of an Old Caretaker - Cosmic Runner



Luna tells the story of a war to Cadence and Shining Armor's three foals.

  • ...
0
 30
 1,363

The Beginning of the End

Thirteen years ago...

The war started three years before Prince Glistening Sword was born. Tension between the ponies and the griffons was rising. Eventually, the Overlord called all griffons back to their homeland. The final straw was when the King had asked Celestia to be his bride and, after much deliberation, she declined. This was the start of the Celestial War.

“Oh Luna, I don’t know what I am going to do.” Celestia said, half asking, half stating.

They received the marriage proposal earlier that day. It was basically a note saying ‘make me King peacefully, or I will do so forcefully.’ If Celestia accepted, Griffons would run Equestria and Celestia would lose the faith of all of her subjects. If she refused, Equestria would be plunged into a war.

“You know you cannot accept this, correct.” Luna answered.

“I know, but what is confusing me is, can we win the war that will surely follow my declination?”

“Ye-” Luna started to say but changed her reply to, “I don’t know, we haven’t been to war since the first coming of Discord.”

“I think I need to get some rest and follow up on this with the advisors in the morning.” Celestia said, yawning because the sisters had stayed up contemplating their response.

“How early do you plan to do this?” Luna asked with a smirk.

“Earlier than lunch time.” The elder sister answered with a suppressed giggle.

“Then I guess I will have no say in this.” Luna added with a laugh.

As Celestia walked to her bedroom, so did the spy outside the castle walls. The spy had been the griffon courier that delivered the proposal letter earlier that day. He had followed Celestia all day from the outside of the castle. What the spy didn’t expect was to be viciously grabbed and slammed into the ground in front of the main gate.

“QUICK, RETRIEVE CAPTAIN SHINING ARMOUR!” Luna had yelled at the guards.

Guards quickly ran out of sight and Luna returned her attention to the spy at hoof.

“You know, you really need to work on your sneak skills if you plan to continue to be a spy.” Luna taunted.

“Ho- How did you know I was there?”

“Like I said you really aren’t inconspicuous. I’ve watched you all day, didn’t you notice me looking out the window every five minutes while me and Tia were talking?” Luna joked as if this were a game.

The griffon looked much like any other. Except, his head feathers were brown and the tips of his wings were black.

“Tell me then, I did everything I could to prevent this. How could you have followed the follower all day?” The griffon asked, knowing he was beaten.

“LUNA, ARE YOU ALL RIGHT?” Shining Armor yelled at Luna as he approached. “Guards, get this spy in cuffs right now.”

“Shining, I am all right. But, maybe you should ask this gentle griffon fellow if he is alright…” Luna said, still in a joking mood.

“I don’t care about this piece of sh-” Shining started to say.

“Whoa there Captain, no need for that kind of language.” The princess verbally stabbed.

The Captain rolled his eyes and said, “Guards get him to the interrogation room.”

“We still have that? Oh I gave that to Tia on an April Foal’s day about, oh, a millennium ago.” The princess laughed, “Just kidding, but let me do this.”

“How are you in a joking mood right now, this is a matter of Canterlot, no, a matter of EQUESTRIAN security?” He asked baffled.

“Because, he doesn’t mean any harm, he doesn’t have a weapon, and, I may or may not have broken a wing, now do as I say.”

“By your orders, but just know, that I will be right next to you.” The Captain said.

“Okay.” Luna exclaimed, while bouncing up and down like Pinkie Pie.

Shining and Luna arrived at the interrogation room in the dungeons and ordered to guards to go fetch the elder Princess. This left the griffon; with is left wing now in bandages, Shining Armor, and Luna alone.

“Hello again.” Luna started.

“Hello.” The defeated griffon said. “Will you answer my question now?”

“No, you are here to be asked not asking.” Shining shot off before the princess could say anything.

“Yes, I will gladly answer your question now.” Luna answered for herself.

“Princess I-” Armor started.

“No, he already asked this.” Luna interrupted.

She then turned to the griffon and started.

“After you left the castle, I watched you go to your carriage. I’ll admit you had me confused when you switched with an oncoming carriage. Questions thus far?” She asked.

“Yes, just one actually… Where were you watching me from?” the griffon asked.

“Good question, on my balcony. Now as I was saying. It took me a minute to see your head pop up in the vehicle. So I watched as you got closer and closer.” She added to her story.

“Well, I guess I’m confused as in how you were watching me.” The griffon stated with a confused look on his face.

“After you changed carriages, I had to use binoculars to see through the front windshield.” She answered.

“Oh, carry on.” The now not-so-confused griffon said.

“And again, you confused me when, on the draw bridge, you went through a trap door in your carriage and clung to the bottom to avoid discovery. You were in the courtyard now and my sister was now in the kitchen getting food from the pan-”

“ENOUGH OF THIS!” Shining yelled slamming his hooves on the small table in the center of the room.

“No no, this is an interesting story.” Celestia remarked as everyone turned to look at her.

“Yes auntie, please continue.” Cadence said walking through door.

“Okay, let’s just have a party in here!” Shining agitatedly exclaimed.

“Don’t be upset Shiny or no Cadi tonight.” Cadence teased as Shining blushed and added, “Auntie, please continue.”

“Well that was awkward, but nevertheless. The whole day was pretty much watching you through the windows and running about the castle. That is, until I met up with Tia and the rest is history. One question did you lose track of her at that point?” Luna asked.

“You caught me.” Griffon said with a slight blushing.

“Ok, real interrogation time now?” Shining asked.

“Yes, just call us in when you are done.” Celestia said, “Come on Luna.”

The three princesses waited outside for about half an hour talking about wait they did that day. And, Cadence surprised her aunts with the knowledge that her and Shining would try to have a foal soon. They were conveniently done when Shining opened the door and reported.

“As far as I can tell, he’s just collecting information about Celestia and the castle.”

“Told you.” Luna remarked with a smirk.

“Luna you brought him here, you can lay down the punishment.” Celestia smiled and finished with, “One o’clock is way past my bed time.”

“One day in the dungeon and then he can stay in a guest room, with a couple of guards with him at all times.” Luna reported in a serious manor, the first time since she caught the griffon.

“Fair enough, good night Luna, Cadence, and Shining.” Celestia yawned.

“Men, you heard the princess!” Shining barked.


The four went to their respective rooms and went to sleep. Luna slept in until noon as predicted and went down to the kitchen to get lunch. After just two weeks of Luna being back from the moon, Celestia had to hire a whole new kitchen staff just for her sister. Luna ate a hardy seven sandwiches and seven liters of soup. After she was done, she went to go find her sister. She found her in her advisors office intensely speaking with them.

“Good after-morning sister!” Luna laughed out.

“I’m sorry Luna, but now’s not the time.” The elder replied. “Please, find something else to do and I will find you when I am done.”

“Ugh, okay fine.” The younger said, sighing.

Luna walked around for a while trying to think of things she should do. She then had an idea of walking around Canterlot with Cadence for an hour or so. However, this was not going to happen because when she got to Cadence’s door, she heard, “And I thought I was the goddess of love.” She ran away as fast as she could with the reddest face she ever had. Then the best idea came to her, she would prank some of the guards.

Luna was officially out of ideas. She had pranked half the guards in the castle, jumped out some windows, and, to top it all off, went to the new construction site of a gated community for rich snobs above Canterlot. Luna decided a mid-afternoon snack would help bring her ideas. When she got to the kitchen, she had three sandwiches and came up with an even better plan. She would visit the prisoner.

Luna was almost to the dungeon entrance when a meddlesome sister decided it would be a great time to show up.

“Hello Luna.” Celestia greeted.

“I’mnotdoinganything!” Luna yelped with a jump.

“I never said you did. What are you doing down here?” The elder asked.

“I was going to go see the prisoner, but I don’t think I will now.” The younger said with a shrug.

“Well I think that’s a great idea. Let’s move him into a guest room early for good behavior.” Celestia said.

“Ok. By the way, did you decide on what you were going to do?” Luna asked.

“Heh, not yet. Come on now, I have some questions I need to ask this griffon.” The Sun Princess said as she opened the dungeon door.

The sisters walked in the dungeon and a guard quickly saluted them. Celestia let him at ease and had him move the griffon to the interrogation room. The sisters waited for the guard to return to tell them, the prisoner was ready. When they walked into the room, they found the griffon in cuffs and his feathers ruffled.

“You look like crap.” Luna said with a giggle.

“Nice to see you, too.” The griffon said with a smirk.

“Now now you two lets be serious.” Celestia scolded. “Mr. uh-”

“Garret. But, my code name is Incognito, so whichever you prefer.” Garret answered.

“Well Mr. Garret, we need to ask you a few questions and we might let you out of jail early.” Celestia stated.

“Ok, ask away.” Garret said.

“Was your main purpose here just to spy or was there more to you assignment?” The princess asked.

“My mission was to deliver the proposal, eavesdrop on your answer, and report it to the King so he knows whether to prepare an invasion force or an occupation force. This would have made the army ready before your response came to Him so we would have the upper hand. Obviously this isn’t happening because; your beautiful sister here foiled my plans.” Garret finished.

“Thank you Mr. Not-So-Incognito.” Luna laughed.

“Are there anymore spies here in Canterlot?” Celestia asked.

“Like I told your Captain, no, none are working here in Canterlot besides me. I have five other griffons in my command but I have them all across Equestria.” Garret answered.

“One last question I need to ask. This might come to you as a surprise to both of you.” Celestia warned.

“Shoot.” The griffon and Luna both said at the same time.

“Would you and your griffons you have here in Equestria, be willing to fight in the war that will surely come?” Celestia said as she looked around.

“Sister, when did you decide this was a good idea?” Luna asked.

“This morning, when I was consorting with some of my advisors…” Celestia answered.

Garret looked straight at Luna and answered.

“What makes you think that I would betray my king so eagerly?” Garret asked returning his gaze back to Celestia.

“I have my own spies.” Celestia answered, “And I know that not all griffons agree to the King’s dictatorship. And you sir, do not agree with his way of ruling, to put it lightly.”

“Give me a few nights of rest in a real bed and I will call in my spies to get us signed up.” Garret responded after a few seconds, you Princess, are looking at the leader of the rebellion.”

“That might help us. Guards, report.” Celestia yelled.

“YES PRINCESS!” the guard responded as she ran into the room.

“Escort Mr. Garret to guest room A.” Celestia ordered.

“Yes Princess.” The guard said as she started leading the prisoner.

Luna walked with the Celestia and they parted once more when an advisor came looking for her. This left Luna with even more time on her hands. She found herself thinking about what Garret had said.

'Your beautiful sister here ruined my plans.'

She was so lost in that thought that she didn’t even notice that she was going straight for Cadence. This collision knocked them both over.

“Heh, watch out there Auntie.” Cadence laughed as she got up.

“Sorry Cadence, my mind was back on the moon.” Luna chuckled as she got up too.

“About what?” Cadence asked.

“Wh- what’s for dinner tonight of course.” Luna said as she started to sweat.

Cadence seemed to study Luna for any traces of her lie. Unfortunately, for Cadence, she was one of the most gullible ponies ever.

“Wow auntie, you never seem to stop thinking about food.” She laughed.

“Ha ha, yup that’s me, an old food hound. Well gottagobye.” Luna said as she ran away.

Luna was again stuck walking around. Like last time, she got too lost in the thought of what Garret had called her. Luna didn’t realize all she was all alone. Luna didn’t even realize there were no guards around. The infiltrators did though.

Luna walked out onto a balcony. She looked out at Canterlot and saw all of the bustling ponies rushing around. She looked at the right time to see a Unicorn knock over a pegasus. This gave her a slight laugh. She soon got bored of this and turned around. When she turned around she was knocked over by a figure. She looked at the figures feat and saw it was a griffon.

“Garret, you can’t sneak up on me like tha-” She stopped as she looked up.

She saw that this griffon was different than Garret. This griffon had War paint and scars, where Garret did not.

“Although I am not Garret, I think I act for him when I do this.” The mysterious griffon said in a menacing tone.

“Let me go tell the guards that you are here and you have dinner with us?” Luna hopingly said.

“No.” The griffon said.

“Didn’t think so.” Luna whispered as she swept the griffon off his feet, got up and ran.

“Get back here!” The griffon yelled as he got up and started flying to catch her.

“GUARDS, GUARDS! HELP!” Luna cried.

“Your guards are corrupt. I pai-” The griffon started.

Luna, out of the corner of her eyes, saw a figure the shape of a griffon fly overhead. She heard a thump as both the griffons started fighting. She stopped and turned around and she saw none other than Garret flying to her rescue with his broken wing. This is when the guards decided to show up.

“PRINCESS LUNA, ARE YOU HURT!” They yelled as they rushed to her side.

“GO HELP GARRET!” Luna barked.

But by the time Luna had said this, a bloody claw tapped her on the shoulder.

“No need, I am fine. But, the assassin isn’t.” Garret said with a somber look on his face.

Luna behind Garret and vomited at the sight of the mangled body of the griffon assassin. Luna was never the same again. Although this was just the first of many bodies she would see later on, this WAS the first. And the first was always the hardest to bear.

“LUNA, ARE YOU OK!” Celestia yelled as she ran through the door.

“I-I am fine now. But, I wouldn’t be if Garret here hadn’t shown up to my rescue.” Luna said as she looked at Garret with admiring eyes.

“Guards, get Luna to the hospital and get this body picked up.” Celestia ordered.


Luna was escorted to the hospital and was reported a clean bill of health. But, she had to receive psychological treatment. She knew resisting therapy wouldn’t help her at all to get over this. But, the therapist that she requested was very frank. And, it didn’t help her that the therapist happened to be the one overseeing Luna’s return when Celestia was busy. Which was all the time. The Therapist then acted as a grandfather, much like Luna does now with the three foals.

“Luna, I need to be frank with you.” The therapist said.

“I would sure hope so.” Luna wasn’t joking around like normal.

“There is a war coming whether you know it or not. It might be a civil war or it might be foreign.” He said.

“Why would it be a civil war?” She asked.

“Celestia hadn’t told you? Well I trust her judgment that she will tell you later.” He said brushing off the question. “But, what I was getting at is that you will see more deaths. You need to find a way to cope with them when they happen.”

“Ok. I think I can do that.” She responded.

“If you need help with this, you know where to find me.” He said putting a wrinkled hoof on her shoulder.

“Thanks Grandpa.” She said giving him a small kiss on the cheek as she left.

She knew better than to walk without getting lost in thought now. She waited until she got up into her room and then got lost in her thoughts. She thought about what Celestia would tell her about a civil war. She resolved to ask about it in when she woke up.

Luna spent half the night awake as she thought about what would get her mind off of deaths. She thought about her sisters loving embrace. For reasons Luna didn’t know, this wasn’t a powerful enough thought. She let her mind wander and was eventually surprised at the final outcome. Garret the griffon.