• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 1,938 Views, 140 Comments

The Last Hope of a Fallen Nation - thehalfelf



[AU] After Chrysalis takes over Equestria following the events of the Royal Wedding, Twilight Sparkle fights to reuinte the Elements of Harmony and restore things to how they once were.

  • ...
7
 140
 1,938

Prologue

Prologue

We don’t have much time. Sit down, shut up, and for Celestia’s sake listen!

I know, Celestia’s sake, such a terrible curse in such terrible times. I hope she’s safe, wherever she is.

Look, you know as well as I do what’s going to happen soon... but just in case I don’t make it out alive, you have to know the whole story.

The wedding was a disaster. Chrysalis had taken over. We Elements were defeated, and scattered across Equestria. Princess Celestia fell in battle to Chrysalis, possibly forever damaging her magical prowess. Likewise, Luna was defeated, leading the first revolution, which lasted a grand total of ten minutes. Shining Armor was held hostage by Chrysalis, preventing Cadence from doing anything, even if she had the energy. She held him hostage until... Shining is no longer in any danger.

I miss him so much.

Her victory was total and absolute. Nopony was powerful enough to question her authority. The Royal Guard fought with everything they had, but a combination of a lack of experience and the sheer overwhelming numbers of Changelings had ended any resistance there. The Night Guard, led by Luna fought better, but even they were defeated. Then, theres the Wonderbolts. They never stood a chance. Sure, they looked awesome, but they were more for show than for actual combat. Within a week, all resistance was gone.

As for us... In the initial chaos, most of us managed to flee. They went into hiding, but were found one by one.

Celestia was banished to the sun, her sister back to the moon.

They caught Pinkie Pie almost immediately. She was taken to the castle, and disappeared for years.

Fluttershy managed to hide for quite awhile, with the aid of her animal friends. She was captured in the end as well, banished to the Everfree Forest.

Rainbow Dash was caught within a month, trying to poison Chrysalis in her sleep. Banished somewhere. I still don’t think she recovered fully.

Rarity, for all her fluff, managed to put together quite the resistance group. Her and Applejack managed to avoid capture for years. It was a bit touchy for awhile, but we managed to turn the Free Equestria Soceity into a respectable resistance.

I... I was the worst, though. I never made it out of the castle. I wasn’t lucky enough to be tortured or killed, oh no, not the protege of Princess Celestia. They locked me in a tower, with books, cursed things. I was made to research weapons of war and torture, ways to break ponies that should never have seen the light of day. I would have fought sooner, but they had Spike locked up in a tiny cell in the top of my room, and if I did something they didn’t like, they hurt him. I couldn’t stand to see that happen to him, not after what happened to Shining.

It is my fault that all the cities have huge walls around them, patrolled all the time by heavily armed Changelings, turning ponies into a fuel source. The whole point was to give them a semblance of a life, so they could still live and love and be comparatively happy so the Changelings could feed off it.

This whole mess is my fault, but if everything goes as planned, tomorrow it will all be made right.

On the off chance that it isn’t, take this journal. It chronicles every single painstaking step I took to get us to this point. If we fail, ponies need something to hope for. Maybe our story will inspire others to take up arms and liberate this pathetic excuse for a nation.

Hopefully, Equestria can rise again..