• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 3,017 Views, 56 Comments

Assist, Protect, Defend... Equestria? - Dat Merc



A United States Army soldier is stuck in Equestria. Meanwhile, old enemies return.

  • ...
5
 56
 3,017

Q & A

Chapter 2: Q & A

The majority of Garrett’s afternoon was spent downstairs. He answered the six ponies’ questions, such as how he found himself in Equestria, which was still a mystery. Garrett's answers were both shocking and amusing to them, but some were confusing. He happened to have questions of his own, which were generously answered by Twilight Sparkle and her friends. It felt just like he was having an interview sheet and a sworn statement filled out at the MP station.

"Okay... What do you do for a living, Garrett? Or, in other words, what is your job?" Twilight asked as she was checking the notes she had written so far. Fluttershy and the rest of the ponies were sitting nearby as they continued listening.

Garrett, now draped in his MultiCam coat, scratched his nose after hearing the purple unicorn's question. "I'm a soldier of the United States Army," he answered. "My line of work in the Army is the Military Police," the soldier said as he pointed at the MP brassard on his left shoulder, which was just above his unit patch: the 89th Military Police Brigade.

"A soldier? Similar to the Royal Guard, I guess..." Twilight quietly said to herself while she wrote down the new information. "What do you do in this... Military Police, then?"

"Well... Generally speaking, we maintain and enforce law and order, just like the civilian police force." Garrett paused for a moment. "But, we MPs have something we're trained to do that the civilian counterpart isn't."

"And that is?"

"Combat..." Upon saying that word, he froze and looked down at the floor, lost in thought about his previous and current-until-now tours in Afghanistan.

"Fighting, you mean?" Twilight blinked as she looked at Garrett with a puzzled expression. She noticed something a bit strange with the human, but she couldn't seem to put a hoof on it. "Garrett, are you okay?" There was no response from him. "Garrett?"

Garrett finally shot out of his trance after he heard his name. "Oh... sorry. I zoned out for a moment." He chuckled and scratched the back of his head, slightly embarrassed.

"That's fine. You had me worried a little, though.” Twilight sighed in relief and took another look at her notes. "Anyway, there's one thing that's still bothering me: You found yourself in Equestria with no idea what brought you here. You were in a situation that was supposed to end your life, but, somehow, you showed up here, merely injured.” She put her hoof on her chin, trying to figure out the answer. However, her concentration was interrupted when one of her friends spoke.

"Garrett, darling, I have question I would like to ask." Rarity came up to Garrett and examined his MultiCam coat and trousers. "How could you be wearing those hideous-looking clothes?"

The MP soldier gave the white unicorn nothing but a blank stare. He knew she owned a fashion boutique, but somehow didn't expect someone like her to ask such a question.

Rarity continued the inspection. "Pockets on your shoulders, chest, upper, and lower legs!?" She put her hoof on her forehead as if she was about to faint, but quickly regained her composure. "What could you possibly need so many pockets for? This is an outrage in the name of fashion!"

"My outfit happens to be designed for functionality," Garrett explained, "and I doubt it will ever be made for the world of fashion. I hope not..."

Before the debate could continue any further, Twilight stepped in between the two. "Um... I think that's enough questions for the day. After all, we've been at it all afternoon." She nervously chuckled.

"But, Twilight, look at the poor thing." Rarity pouted as she gestured toward Garrett. "The pockets and the wear and tear are merely the start. I can tell that the pattern of the colors is camouflage, but that is the most hideous-looking pattern I have ever laid eyes on!"

Pinkie Pie eventually walked up to the group and looked at the MP soldier with a big grin on her face. "I bet he likes to play hide-and-seek," she commented with a giggle. "Do you like playing hide-and-seek? Do you?"

Garrett couldn't help but listen to the white unicorn criticize his MultiCam attire. He was about to speak, but Rarity put up her hoof. “Now, now... There is no need to worry. Just come visit my boutique whenever you fully recover,” she said with a confident smile.

--

The ponies trotted out of the cottage and into the front yard, with Garrett and Fluttershy behind them. When Garrett walked outside, he looked around, noticing the setting sun and a number of animals wandering around the yard. Was Fluttershy really taking care of these animals all by herself?

“Well, Ah guess I should be headin’ back home. See y’all tomorrow. And come visit Sweet Apple Acres sometime, Garrett.” Applejack tipped of her hat before leaving the cottage.

"Bye, girls! Bye, Garrett! Come visit Sugar Cube Corner soon! I'm already starting to plan a welcome party for you!" With that, Pinkie Pie disappeared quickly before Garrett could say anything back.

"Farewell, darling. Please get well soon," Rarity said as she gave the soldier a charming smile before trotting away.

Rainbow Dash flew up towards Garrett's ear and whispered, "You probably know this already, but she is an absolute nut for fashion." She backed away from him and Fluttershy before flying away. “Well, see you two later!”

The last pony to leave was Twilight Sparkle. “I hope we all get together again tomorrow,” she said as Garrett and Fluttershy nodded in agreement. "Good bye." She then headed out of the cottage area, leaving the yellow pegasus and the human alone.

"Um... Ready to go back inside now?" Fluttershy asked with a shaky voice. Garrett almost forgot about how timid she was. "Sure thing. I guess I should check on my things now."

--

Twilight entered Ponyville, deep in thought. "I just don't get it... How did Garrett end up in Equestria from his world?” Even Garrett had wondered the same thing. He claimed to be out-cold at the time. "And the fact that he's a human. I thought humans existed only in ancient mythology. I have to write a letter to Princess Celestia about all this as soon as possible," Twilight said with determination, as the sun got lower and day slowly changed to night. Come to think of it, she had forgotten to mention the mythology to Garrett. Perhaps she should keep it from him for a while.

Author's Note:

Ah... I just love the looks on my platoon sergeants' and First Sergeant's faces when they saw my MLP stuff in my room. That was two months ago actually. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the New Year and this chapter.

And it seems that in every Military HiE story, Rarity criticizes the camouflage uniforms (mostly the patterns like ACU, MARPAT, and MultiCam).

See you in the next chapter.