• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,434 Views, 61 Comments

Only shadows of the past... - Phoenix Quill



The tale of Nightmare Moon's banishment

  • ...
3
 61
 1,434

Ch. 14 Creating a Brighter Tomorrow 5/21/1842

Princess Celestia had not had a proper nights sleep in centuries. The reform of a country was a long and daunting task, one that despite the fact that not a living thing besides herself remembered the actual destruction of Everfree and the corruption of her sister over eight hundred years ago, the repercussions still echoed across the globe.

The Everfree Forest is possibly forever a lost cause at this point, dangerous and unresponsive to ponies, the woods continue to thrive on their own with no assistance. The Gryphon Empire, once spanning over half the globe a sea away was now in ruin because of Diamond Dogs raiding the outskirts, taking chunks away from the empire at a time. All that was left of the once continent spanning empire, was a small mountainous country in the far north, the former capitol center of the eastern world.

Equestria itself had not expanded, nor shrunk over the years and has been considered a place of great harmony and balance. As of late, Equestria has become a surrogate home for displaced gryphons, zebras, and even some of the smaller dragons that were left to fend for themselves. All victims against the hoards of peoples scrambling in the power vacuum left by the fall of Gryphonia.

Naturally, when these different peoples once divided amongst themselves came together to find a home in Equestria, she felt that it was her duty to see to the well fair of everybody she could, equine or not.

Celestia was tired. Governing both day and night had left Celestia in a state that should have by all means left her dead years ago. Deprived from sleep, and overworked she was constantly exhausted and only was able to catch quick naps for one, maybe two hours from two to three in the morning.

In Celestia's mind it had all seemed so easy, to know that rest for her would come with the return of her sister. To know that friends that were mortal were bright burning candles, disappearing if one blew hard enough, or finally burning out after years of giving all they could. To know that she deserved a far worse fate than this for failing to save her sister.

Her mind was a torrent of thoughts as she sat on her throne, listening to the proceedings as she waited, until finally, "Court of the Sun has come to a close."

Celestia stood after the page announced the end and gave off her best smile, "Thank you Clear Call. Everypony please return for Night Court two hours after sunset if you must have an audience tonight."

The remaining ponies murmured to themselves as they left the royal hall, and Celestia made her escape to the gardens for a moments peace before dinner, and the night court.


In the garden Celestia was free to actually be herself, free to reflect on her past and enjoy the simple things in life. The gardens, while private to most was available to guests or staff of the castle Oftentimes Celestia would find a few ponies enjoying the gardens and would strike up conversation with them if the mood struck.

"I only have a few minutes before I have to head off for dinner, just a quick stroll through the pathways then I'll eat, lower the sun, raise the moon and open night court."

The thought seemed to loop in her mind over and over again as she walked the paths of the gardens in a haze. That was when she spied a yellow filly staring at a statue.

She tilted her head in curriousity as she came closer to the young unicorn. She looked at her face and saw the deep level of concentration on her face and almost laughed aloud before stopping herself, "It's very rude to stare."

Celestia blinked at the boldness of the small filly, "I'm sorry but I was wondering what are you doing?"

"Mommy told me if I can levitate and turn the statue around, we can get some ice cream after she gets off work. So that is what I am trying to do," The filly stopped staring at the statue and looked down at an open book in front of her, not once turning to look at the princess before nodding and trying again to summon the magic to do her bidding.

Celestia smiled as she watched the filly brush aside her blue and pink mane away from her field of vision before speaking up again, "The book says that I have to imagine the weight of what I am moving before I can move it, but the only thought that I get is that it's really really heavy."

Celestia laid down in the grass next to the filly, "Your mom must be a great expectations if she expects you to move this statue."

The unicorn snorted a bit as she kept trying to focus, "Tell me about it! I don't even know what I am doing, they just got me this book for my birthday the other day after I," she suddenly stopped, looking embarrassed she turned away from Celestia even more.

"What did you do my little pony?" Celestia asked with serious interest.

"I turned the cat into an alarm clock... But it's okay! She changed back to normal!"

Celestia's eyebrows raised up slightly at this, "That is fairly advanced magic," Celestia commented. "Did you pick it up from your parents?"

The unicorn sighed as she focused back on the statue, "That's what mommy says, that's why she bought me this book from the book store," She pointed at the open magic book titled, Spellcasting for foals.

Celestia was still impressed that a unicorn this young could even do as much as she did. She smiled as the filly flipped through her book some more and asked, "What is your name little one?"

The little pony turned to finally face the pony she was speaking to and made a polite bow, "My name is Sunrise," As she rose from the small bow, she looked up into Celestia's face, and finally realized who she was talking to, "Oh my gosh, you, you're the princess!"

Celestia smiled and nodded slightly, "Hello Sunrise, that is a lovely name for a young filly to have." She paused and looked left and right as if to make sure nopony was listening before leaning down and whispering to Sunrise, "Would you like to know a secret?"

Sunrise was enthralled and bounced up and down quickly in excitement, "Tell me tell me! Oh please Princess!"

She leaned down to Sunrise and whispered loudly to her, "Imagine the statue as light as a feather, it makes it easier to move. Go ahead and give it a try, I'll be right here to watch."

The little filly continued to smile as she slowed down her bouncing to concentrate on the task ahead of her, she closed her eyes and focused as much as she could on casting her aura out over the statue, "You are light as a feather, come on, its a statue made of feathers, light light feathers."

The statue glowed under the spell of Sunrise, and slowly but surely the statue levitated off the pedestal, just enough that somepony could slide a sheet of paper underneath it. Slowly it rotated, making the figure face the castle rather than the hedges. The spell then suddenly cut short and the stone dropped back down with a resounding thud, sending a slight vibration through the earth. Sunrise opened her eyes and looked wearily at the statue, "I did it!"

Celestia gave a bemused smile as she nodded, "Indeed you have my little pony. Tell me, have your parents tried to enroll you in school? Or do they teach you themselves?"

Sunrise shook hear head, "No, they can't afford to send me to a school, and they are earth ponies so I have to teach myself," she said with a proud smile as she held up her book, "Will you go with me to see my mommy to let her know that I did it?"

Princess Celestia puzzled some thoughts to herself before finally nodding, "Yes I think we can do that, come along little Sunrise, lets find your mother."

It did not take long for the first staff member she had ran into to find Crystal Clear and bring her to Celestia's office. When she arrived, she found Princess Celestia and her filly sitting down and chatting with each other, "Ahh Crystal Clear, please come in and have a seat, would you like any tea? Cookies?"

Crystal sat down in the offered seat and smiled bashfully, "No thank you your highness, I was told that you needed me, and it concerned my daughter?"

Celestia gave a slight smile and nodded, "That is correct, I wanted to ask you more about your daughter's education."

Sunrise looked at the Princess, then at her mom in confusion before Crystal finally did answer, "Well, my husband and I try our best, but you know how it is. It's very expensive to send a colt or filly to school, and even more expensive per lesson with a private tutor. We are trying our best in the magic department, but I can only do so much."

Celestia smiled bemusedly at the light blue mare, "And you are doing a wonderful job, but I think I can help," Celestia paused to take a breath and sip of her tea before continuing, "Your daughter has quite a bit of raw potential, I witnessed her lift a statue in the garden and make it face the other way around. Once I got to know your daughter a little bit, I knew I had to ask you this question. How would you like for me to personally teach your daughter as my private pupal"

Crystal Clear sat in shock at what was just proposed to her, and dumbly nodded as a response. Sunrise had burst into shouts of joy and bounced around the room like a ball while Celestia smiled, "Then I will set everything up, and will send you a message when the first lesson is to begin."


Because of this, many things changed for the future of Equestria. Celestia slowly did away with Night Court, to make room for study time with her young, and first student.

Over the first year of teaching Sunrise, Celestia found that despite her years she could still be surprised. Through the second year, Celestia created the public school act, making education a right, and no longer a privalige for the well to do. When nobility asked why she would do such a thing to close the gap between the nobility and common pony, she looked to the sun out the window and replied, "A mind should never be wasted because of where a pony is born, what tribe they belong to, nor how many bits are in their hoof. Everypony should be allowed to become something great."