• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 2,879 Views, 184 Comments

Shifting Priorities - FaelaArts



A Changeling from the attack on Canterlot needs to hide out in Ponyville.

  • ...
9
 184
 2,879

Moving in[R]

Waking up in the cushions was uncomfortable to say the least, but Skid had managed to sleep through the night. Taking a moment to done his disguise, he uncurled himself and gazed around the quiet library setting and realised something. Skid would have to sabotage the train, or get some other changeling nearby to do it. Either way it could wait for a while, it was too early to leave and get back before Twilight and the others would wake. Stretching, he turned his head and blinked, a flickering light capturing his gaze and sending it toward the purple unicorn reading at the table. Skid almost freaked out, but realised his sleep hadn't been interrupted so she mustn't have come to try to see what he looked like while sleeping. Stifling a yawn, he stood up and stretched and walked over to her.

"Mornin' Twilight," she jumped, and turned to face him before relaxing. There were bags under her eyes, suggesting she had either gotten up early, or hadn't slept at all. Skid pretended not to notice.

"Morning Skid, you're up early. Then again, I'm up early as well." Skid smiled and gently pushed her with his head.

"Go get some sleep, you look exhausted." Twilight frowned and shook her head, and rubbed her eyes. Gently closing the book and placing a bookmark inside she turned her head.

"But you'll miss the train." Skid chuckled and pointed to the slowly lightening sky. The storm had luckily blown over, which meant ponies would soon be out and about.

"I'll catch the evening one instead. Besides; it gives me a chance to explore the town a bit, and it would be a shame to leave without having a good look around. Say…I'll wake you up at noon?" Twilight rubbed her eyes again and desperately fought sleep for control over her body. Eventually sleep won and she nodded, about to walk up the stairs as two ponies and one dragon headed down.

"Hey Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Spike. I'm still a little tired so I'm going to take a power nap." Applejack and Dash nodded.

"No problem Twilight we'll leave in just a moment, get some good rest we'll talk to you later." Twilight big her friends goodbye and trundled up the stairs, Skid saw Spike yawn and begin opening the library. He walked into the kitchen, taking out a ruby and munching it as he leaned against a horse head statue.

"So Skid, how did you convince Twilight to go to sleep, she's not the type to simply sleep when tired." Skid turned toward Applejack and smiled, motioning to the door.

"I told her I'd wake her up at noon for the second train, and that I want to look around town." Applejack nodded, frowning and glancing to the stairs.

"Musta been tired to give in that quickly. So what's this about a train?" Skid shrugged, glancing to the window and the sunlight beyond.

"I was on a Pegasus carriage and got blown off course and crashed here, I'm going to take the train home." Rainbow Dash slowly walked to the door, and turned her eyes upon him and Applejack.

"Sorry guys, gotta fly my boss will kill me if I'm late to help move the clouds now the storms passed, see yas." Applejack and Skid only had time to blink before the rainbow pony vanished before their eyes. Skid was left wondering how fast she had left for her to vanish like that, when he got interrupted by Applejack giving a hearty chuckle.

"That Rainbow Dash never sticks around for long always gotta be somewhere." Skid and Applejack returned to gazing at each other, and Applejack motioned to the door.

"I haveta go and help clean up my farm, but if ya get lost in town head toward the building covered in sweets and the colour pink and ask for Pinkie Pie. Be warned, she is rather energetic.

"Will do Applejack" he replied, his eyes closing and his head tilting as his mouth moved up. With a casual tip of her hat, Applejack left, closing the door behind her. Skid paused for a moment, considering the two ponies before flinching as a voice spoke from behind him.

"I don't care who you go for, but Rarity's mine" spoke the dragon. Skid blinked and tilted his head, staying in that place for a moment before what Spike meant dawned on him. Snorting, he rolled his eyes and headed out the door, his feet lightly tapping against the wooden floor.

"Sure Spike, you can have this Rarity. I promise not to make her fall head over heels with me." Skid nearly rolled his eyes out of their sockets as a mutter about him doing as he had said in a threatening tone. If he hadn't been heading out of the door and turning his eyes to the street ahead, he might have seen Spike glance to the book he had glanced at the previous night and opening it, giving it a flick through.

"Surprise Twilight didn't mention this when we had Peewee, maybe she hasn't read it yet." Spike blinked, and chucked.

"Yeah, like that would ever happen."


Pressure Control was a simple ashen coloured earth pony. Called PC by his co-workers, he always got teased for being in love with the trains he worked. He honestly didn't understand the relation, even as he caressed the cold engine as it slowly woke from its slumber.

"In love, what a funny thing to say, we got married years ago didn't we Persephone?" Gently nudging the train, he separated and gazed up at the beautiful beauty. He had always loved big women, and none came bigger than his wife. Hopping into his wife's bowels, he gently headed up her body and stood inside her head before pulling down a lever, and shovelling some round black objects into her mouth. The train gave a gentle whining sound as it began to heat up. PC watched this with an adoring smile on his face, until the moment a metal object came crashing on to his head. He collapsed quickly, and was instantly out cold with a large bruise on his head. A pitch black pony stared down, and dropped the metal object and grabbed the pony and tossed him outside the train. Turning his gaze to the controls, he started by shovelling all the coal he could into the hot mouth of the train. Finished that he glanced to the switches and focused on the one called ‘pressure control' and snapped it off. As he stood there, he glanced behind him and saw a shape coming up the train carts and picked up his object with magic, flaring his wings and preparing to attack the pony. As the door opened, it hid him hiding in the corner as the pony blinked in shock and dashed to the controls before being knocked out as well. Picking this pony up, he glanced to the controls before leaping out of the train and picking up PC and flying them a decent distance from the train before vanishing. PC awoke first, and quickly woke up the second one, before they rushed to the train.

"No!"He shrieked as he saw ponies everywhere running from the train as the hot red metal from the overheated train began to reach the other carts. Then with a single moment, it melted into nothing. PC merely collapsed to the ground, tears streaking his face.

"If I ever find out who did this-"a voice cut him off, someone crying out in suddenly pain, and he turned rapidly as a thump sounded. His eyes widened, and he glanced to the platform so close and yet so far away, and knew no one would see him until it was too late. Turning on the black thing in front of him, he prepared for a fight.

"Time for you to forget," PC blinked in shock as a green glow surrounded him, and he was suddenly surrounded by darkness. The black shape merely watched PC collapse to the floor again with a casual indifference before turning and walking away.

"If I ever get the chance, I'll pay you back one day."


Skid had seen a lot of the town, and was happy knowing if he needed to he would be able to find his way around without much difficulty. Turning his gaze to the candy covered pink building; he sighed and walked in the door, a gentle twinkling following him. Gazing inside he got assaulted by the smell of sweet and breathed in, savouring the moment.

"Well hi there are you new OMG you are so totally new. Oh my we so need to throw you a ‘welcome to Ponyville' party and invite EVERYPONY. Well everyone, I'll invite spike and gummy too." Skid blinked, his vision filled with two bright eyes and a pink face before he took a step back, and fell down the small stair bit he had just walked up to get to the door. Groaning, he rubbed the back of his neck and suddenly felt himself vaulted into the air and plopped back on to his four feet. He swayed, and shook his head rapidly before turning to get the pink pony in fully. Skid blinked, his eyes widening as he saw the hair bundled with energy, the feet bouncing in delight, and the face of happiness.

"Are you Pinkie Pie?" he managed to speak, blinking for a moment before bringing up a welcoming smile, which quickly vanished as his hoof got dragged into some rapid up and down movement, which left him dizzy again.

"Well of course I am, why you seen any other ponies that look like me names something else? Well ya might have seen one named Philomena but we don't talk to her very often because she-"Skid decided now was a good chance to interrupt.

"No offence Pinkie Pie, but I really need you to show me to Twilights, I need to get there otherwise I'll miss the deadline." Pinkie Pie blinked, and giggled, once again picking him up above her head. Skid merely blinked, his hooves slightly curved as Pinkie Pie carried him all the way to Twilights, in about five seconds. Plopping him down, he took a moment to gather his soundings before turning to thank the pink pony, but she was gone. He furrowed his eyebrows, but turned and re-entered the library, saying a quick hello to Spike who was looking at a drawing of some kind before walking up the stairs and knocking on Twilight's door. A grunt told him he could come in, and he entered and was greeted by stacks of books, too orderly to look messy.

"Twilight time to wake up," Skid spoke, slowly making his way to the bed and glancing down at the bed-headed purple unicorn before sight and gently tapping her.

"Twilight please wake up." Skid flinched as his hoof was knocked away and a groaning form vanished under the sheets. Skid growled, and leaned in close to where he hoped her ears were.

"I want to borrow a book." Twilight groaned and muttered something about spike and he gritted his teeth in frustration before walking over to a stack of books and knocking his head gently against it.

"Why-Won't-You-Just-Wake-Up!"suddenly the stack of books decided they didn't like Skids smooth and soft forehead and decided to get as far away as possible by getting as close to the ground as they could in a quite loud fashion. Skid flinched, and Twilight leapt out of her sheets, springing up like a startled cat, a spell at the ready. Skid quickly backed away, seeing the dazed look in her face.

"Twilight stop!"Skid turned and saw Spike at the door, who winked at him, causing Skid to get caught in a very strange situation. Twilight calmed down and rubbed her eyes, slowly waking up.

"Spike, I wish you would stop knocking over my notes to wake me up, one of these days I might actually attack you." Spike simply rolled his eyes, slowly picking up the books and beginning to stack them. Skid began helping, his horn glowing a gentle green as he hovered books into the stack.

"Morning Skid…Skid, you're going to miss the train!" Twilight blinked, and realised she was the cause of this and smiled sheepishly before giving Spike a gentle hug.

"Thanks Spike, I'll be back soon." Twilight quickly ran down the stairs, brushing her hair as she went and Skid mouthed a quick ‘thank you' to Spike before dashing down. There was one thing he knew; Spike would be a good ally to have in the ‘wake up Twilight' category. Following the rapidly vanishing Twilight out the door, narrowly missing the closing door, he sighed. It didn't take them long to make their way to the platform, and Twilight slowed down as it came in sight, giving him a chance to catch his breath. Twilight quickly began trotting around the corner and up the stairs.

"There we go; we made it with ten minutes to spare. No way will we be la-Oh my god." Skid rounded the corner, narrowly dodging a still Twilight. His eyes widened at the scene before him. Some ponies in guard suits were questioning a colt who was gazing at them and shaking his head. Twilight trotted over, Skid mutely followed, gazing at the wrecked scene before him. The train, his way home, was badly wrecked, melted into the tracks at the front. Twilight talked with the guards for a bit, before turning to gaze to Skid concerned.

"Someone attacked the train, but they don't know who it was. It's going to take a while before the unicorns can repair the damage. I offered to help but they said they have it under control." Skid turned his gaze to the train and sighed.

"I guess I'll have to walk there then." Twilight shook her head and smiled weakly. Skid could sense her hesitation.

"Well, I normally wouldn't suggest this, but since you have nowhere else to stay I guess I can let you stay in my basement until the train gets fixed, I can't let you just walk all that way." Skid blinked, his eyes widening and his face breaking out into a smile.

"Oh, thank you Twilight!" Skid wrapped his front hooves around her neck and released her a moment later. Twilight smiled, and they headed away from the wreckage. Skid glanced back at it as Twilight vanished from view around a corner, and a small smile fell upon his face.


"Wow, this place cleans up well, "Twilight spoke to herself, carefully packing up all her lab stuff into a room and gazed at the makeshift room surrounded by boxes. Turning to Skid, she followed his gaze to the small bed placed in the middle, and grimaced slightly.

"I know, I know, not the best of conditions but-"Skid interrupted her and smiled.

"Nonsense, it's perfect." Twilight turned and smiled at Skid, and they headed upstairs to a black room.

"Oh no…" Twilight spoke, and Skid opened his mouth to ask what was going on when suddenly the lights turned on and he got blinded and deafened.

"SURPRISE" shouted the crowd, and Skid blinked at the ponies around him and simply blinked again.

"Pinkie Pie" Twilight scolded, and Skid turned his gaze on the beaming pony and smiled before laughing out loud. Skid considered it more of a quiet chuckle, but as he laughed he felt himself starting to enjoy the gathering and the party began.


"Pinke Pie, stop talking to that book!" Skid was now tired and experiencing blissful happiness. After a full night of drinking, eating, dancing and playing games all the ponies had headed home except for Pinkie Pie who was busy talking to a book she said had gotten abused recently.

"I'm telling ya Twilight, you need to give this poor guy some love or he'll get depressed!" Twilight rolled her eyes, and after some arguing managed to coax Pinkie into going home and closed the door and sighed in defeat before gazing at the room.

"I am not cleaning that up until the morning" she yawned, walking over to Skid who was sipping some punch quietly.

"Spike went to bed long ago, it's getting late." Skid nodded, putting the punch down and smiled at Twilight.

"Well then Miss Twilight, I wish you a peaceful goodnight." Twilight smiled and headed up the stairs, pausing to turn the light off after Skid had entered the basement and closed the door. Closing his eyes, he quickly contacted his queen.

‘There you are 666, what have you to report?'

‘So far I have met Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight. I didn't get to speak much to Applejack and Rainbow Dash, but I'm hoping I'll get to hang out with them soon. Twilight has agreed to let me stay in her basement until the train is fixed so I've bought myself some time. Pinkie Pie threw me a welcoming party and it was a lot of fun and I met so many new-‘

‘SILENCE 666' Skid shuddered, and immediately obeyed.

‘Yes my liege.'

‘Do not mistake leniency for informality. I expect you to address me formally and only give me important information 666. Do not make this mistake again.'

‘Yes my liege.'

‘Now 666, what have you learned.'

‘Twilight is well learned and very logical but prone to overreaction. Pinkie Pie is overly energetic and completely unpredictable. The other two I only have impressions of as of yet.'

‘Thank you 666, I expect another report from you in at least a few days.'

‘Yes my liege.'

Skid sighed and rubbed his eyes and slowly crept into bed. Pulling the blanket towards him, he closed his eyes and gave a long yawn. Skid then curled up in the blankets, surrounded by darkness, hidden by the blanket, and fell asleep instantly.